Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

|| Cell Block B ||

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name: Rupinder "Rupi" Vera
Tag: Rufio, Candice.

“Evidently, it was not.” Rupi lied, staring Candice straight in the eye. She ignored Dr. Arellano as he moved off of, or rather out of, Candice, turning around to shield the woman from view, pulling up his own trousers and buckling his belt. He didn’t seem surprised, glaring at Rupi with daggers in his eyes. Rupi simply looked him up and down, making sure to let show on her face an unimpressed look. Men like Rufio prided themselves on their bodies and no doubt seeing her sneer would hurt his pride far more than being caught.

“You were just doing what, hm Candice? One of my patients might have called it hiding the pen.” Rupi said with a little snicker. Perhaps those two were so useless after all. “Perhaps I will return later, though I wonder if this is how you selected our new Head of Staff. On a whim? Or was she as well performing sexual favours for you too, Candice?” Rupi inquired softly. “Or did you just pick a name out of the hat?”

Name: Rufio Arellano
Tag: Candice.

“The only favour we’re going to do for you is teach you how to knock.” Rufio snapped back, buckling his belt, though he was still naked above the waist. He hid his concern expertly about that damnable Rupinder Vera bursting in on them. He was sure he locked the door though. No doubt Candice will kill him for the interruption. “What the hell do you want? Can’t you see the adults are busy here?” He growled at her, corner of his lips curling up in a smirk. They were caught. No point in hiding it. Of course, Rupi could do great damage with this knowledge now. But if she thought Rufio would grovel she was mistaken. He stood in front of Candice, his posture defensive, guarding her from sight.

stana-katic-castle.jpg

Board of Directors Office
Tags: RuRu

To her luck Rufio was kind enough to shield her, allowing her to redress quickly and regain her composure. Then she stormed around the man, heading straight for Dr. Vera.

"How dare you enter my office without knocking," she snapped, wiggling a finger, "What I do on my own time is my own business, as with him. You have no right to barge in Dr. Vera."

She was still in her heels, towering over the younger beauty, "As for the Head of Staff, its merely a temporary title for the girl so that someone is corralling you children. At least until the Board finds a suitable replacement. What is it to you Dr. Vera? Obviously its bothered you enough to storm into your boss's office and demand her attention when she is occupied with another doctor."

Tag: Rupi, Candice.

Rufio smirked as Candice whipped about him, storming right towards the brown skinned doctor who so blatantly burst on them. Now she was in for it. He brimmed with excitement in the hopes that Candice would take the haughty Head of Psychiatrist out. Heck, one Head of Department got fired the previous year because of something similar to this nearly happening. What’s to say it won’t happen again? Rufio in the meanwhile began to dress to cover his nakedness, impressive as it was. Not entirely though, for he imagined once Candice sent Rupinder Vera scurrying off with her tail between her legs, they would get right back at it. That’ll teach the bitch to impede my work again.

Rupi was unimpressed by Candice’s threats. She merely crossed her arms and shifted her weight onto one leg, hip jutted out to the side. A small smirk crossed her lips. “Indeed.” She replied, not at all phased by Candice’s outburst. “Perhaps I should have knocked. That could have given you the precious time you needed to cover your sin. What are the rules again on employee fraternization? Oh right, none. Just like with the patients, which we both know our little friend back there certainly partakes in. I never knew you to share that indulgence. Why, by your own bylaws Candice, I’d have to report this to HR. Imagine the scandal and the shock when they discover a Board member has been fucking one of the employees, especially given her own stance on other employees and patients doing the same.” Rupi fired back.

She was being a hypocrite. Most certainly. But what she had over them is that she had never been caught doing so. Rupi had them both by the balls and surely a smart woman like Candice would recognize it. That alone would be leverage enough to excuse her rude interruption and even more so for dealing with her issue on the new Head of Staff. She grinned at Candice, meeting her gaze levelly. She felt no physical threat from her or Dr. Arellano. “So who needs corralling now? Not me clearly, since I seem to be the only level headed one in this place.” She stated in a more firm tone.

stana-katic-castle.jpg

Dr. Vera had her there; there was indeed rules in place that all relationships remained professional within the workplace. Even the Board knew they couldn't stop people outside the premise from relations, so they simple requested that while on shift to remain professional and focus on work. Of course Candice knew almost everyone here ignored that rule, but most were good at covering their tracks, or not being caught. And while Candice didn't as much care if Dr. Vera brought it up with the Board, as Candice could write it off as a one of, it worried her more if word got to her husband, who had a pre-nup on her. That would end...disastrously.

She whipped around and returned to her desk, rolling her eyes for only Rufio to see before turning and leaning on the desk, arms folded over her chest, "So what you are saying is your blackmailing me Dr. Vera. Honestly, I didn't think you had it in you. I'll excuse your poor manners in not knocking and cut to the chase. It's obvious you stormed in here wanting something, and you'll hold the information over my head until you get it. So what is it Dr. Vera?"

She knew Rufio was going to get his funding out of this too. The man would not be happy Dr. Vera was getting her way, and to keep him quiet Candice would need to give him what he wanted. she sighed to herself, knowing she was caught between these two. For one with so much power, I sure seem to have no control of this situation.

“Blackmail?” Rupi repeated, slowly as if savouring the word, flashing a smirk as she tilted her head to consider that. “Oh no, I had not even thought of doing that. I have no desire to blackmail anyone, Candice.” Rupi said slyly, looking from her to Rufio and back again. “We are both intelligent individuals here.” She stated, purposely leaving out Dr. Arellano. “I’m sure we can work out an agreement without resorting to blackmail. Besides, what I want will be good for the Institution and what’s good for the Institution would also be good for you Candice. No, don’t consider it blackmail. Consider it a deal.”

Rupi strode to the front of the desk, setting her hands on it as she leaned forward towards Candice. “I want you to reconsider your choice of Elizabeth. Whether you picked on in a spur of the moment or because of some other…favour…” Rupi glanced at Rufio, who was glaring daggers back at her, “the choice was a bad one and you know it. A doctor should watch over other doctors, don’t you think? Elizabeth is nothing more than a glorified clerk and certainly not a mature babysitter. It looks to me you were trying to encouraging more foolery, not prevent it. Get rid of her and appoint someone more…rational to the post. Then you two can continue with your little dance here. So what will it be?”

In essence, Rupi wanted herself appointed to the role but any other Head of Department would work as well.

stana-katic-castle.jpg

Candice pursed her lips, listening but unimpressed by Rupi's words. Was she really arguing Candice's direct decision for the institute? She waited, settling in to her chair with Rufio behind her as she raised an eyebrow at the woman, waiting to cut in.

"I think you failed to read the whole email," she scoffed, folding her hands together on the desk, "Elizabeth Thorn is simply a temporary fill-in until we have hired our next Head of Staff. It was not a slight Dr. Vera, it was a precise decision to save a few dollars and fill in the role. The girl won't remain in that position for more than a week, so there is no need to get into such a tizzy."

Leaning back, she gave Rupi a cold gaze, "That said, if there is anyone you know inside the institute can apply. They just need to speak to me. After all, in the end its my choice." She was baiting her, knowing already this doctor wanted the promotion. Why else was she still there, bitching at them?

“I misread nothing.” She shot back to Candice. “Temporary or not, it was still a terrible choice. Why not a Head, why not an actual doctor? Why some pencil pusher? I can tell you why.” Rupi said, returning Candice’s glare with her own cold one. “Because like our fine Dr. Arellano here, Elizabeth was her master’s precious little pet. And not wanting to be a hypocrite yourself, you rewarded her. Well Candice, if you don’t correct your mistakes, maybe I should take it up with the Board. You can be sure they will read my entire email when they hear of this little incident. And they wouldn’t be the only ones.” She growled, hinting that Candice’s poor judgement in a replacement Head of Staff and her little affair with Rufio Arellano would not stay within the Institution.

“Me or Zandra. That’s who your choice should have been. I’ll leave it to you to reconsider.” Rupi said as a way of finishing, leaning up and giving Rufio a glare as well before she turned on her heel and promptly departed the office.

Rufio followed after Rupi and shut the door when she had gone, though the lock was busted and done for. He knew there wouldn’t be any more fun today, even if it was fixed. “Fucking bitch.” He snarled after the doctor, turning back to face Candice, standing by the doorway. “What are you going to do about this? You can’t let her get away with that shit.” He remarked, hands on his hips, annoyance itched in his expression as well.

stana-katic-castle.jpg

Dr. Vera was quite out of line. She was babbling nonsense about Elizabeth Thorn, who the therapist obviously thought was some kind of fangirl for Dr. Funer. Candice wanted to correct that mistake, knowing Miss Thorn seemed passive over his firing, but the doctor had her rant then turned to storm away.

"I have the right to fire you this instance," she snapped, watching the door slam shut as she rose. She wanted to say much more but Dr. Arellano beat her to the punch.

"Simple," she stated, her tone clipped as she stomped to the door and flung it back open, "I'm going to have a word with her, and if she can't learn to behave, maybe she belongs in one of these cage's too."

She stepped out then turned back, her eyes furious but she gave him a smile, "It be best if you got back to your patient's Dr. Arellano. Don't worry, you aren't being fired. And yes, you'll get that funding. Swing by tomorrow morning and I'll have papers and a check ready for you."

With that she stormed away, heading in the direction she knew Dr. Vera had headed, seeing the doctor slip into her own office seconds before she spoke to Rufio. Giving her the same manners Rupi had shown her, Candice burst through the unlocked door, glaring at the woman.

"How dare you threaten and blackmail me," she snarled, slamming the door shut behind her, "After Miller gave you a raise and the Board was going to consider an expansion to your department, you have the audactiy to barge into my office and make threats. I've never seen a doctor with such a high reputation act like such a child, throwing a tantrum because she doesn't like a ruling. I'll have you know it was the Board as a whole who decided on Miss Thorn being temporary. As it is we have five doctors lined up for interviews in New York to apply for the job."

She stomped forward, getting closer, "And if you think you're little outburst won you any favors? It didn't. Any of the Heads could have and can apply for the position still. Miller and I can conduct interviews today and tomorrow, if we wish it. But don't bother throwing your name into that pot. You're done here Dr. Vera. I don't need a staff member who cannot respect authority."

Candice knew this would chip at Dr. Vera's confidence. If she wanted to blackmail the Board member, than in turn she'd be fired, let them both go down together. I have to keep this contained, not just from the Board, but from my husband. I don't need that pre-nup blowing up in my face before it does in his. She already had a P.I looking into her cheating husband, trying to grab photo evidence to divorce his ass and take his money. Dr. Vera indeed was backing her into a corner though and Candice needed to lash out quick and grab the reigns on this matter, before she lost.

Rufio jerked his eyebrow at Candice, surprised by her notion of challenging Rupinder some more. The doctor, presumptuous and haughty as she was, did have a lot of dirt on them. Perhaps prodding the beast with a stick wasn’t the best move to make. But then again, Candice probably didn’t get to where she was by being cautious. Neither did Rufio. “I will. And thank you for the funding. I assure you it won’t be wasted.” Rufio replied, fixing up his appearance some more until he was once more professional and formal. “Good luck, Candice. I’m sorry this turned out to be so shitty.” He said as she left, frowning a little as she didn’t give him an answer. Oh well.

Collecting his stuff, Rufio moved out of her office and to the elevators. There was a new patient on his list and he was eager to meet her.

[Depart to Cell Block C]​

Rupi barely got into her office for two minutes before Candice burst in after her, snarling like a tigress. Rupi was thankful for a moment that Nysa was not here. She moved to sit in her chair as Candice began to properly express her outrage at Rupi’s actions, not having to restrain herself in front of Rufio. When Candice threatened Rupi with termination of her employment, it seemed to take her aback a little. Before she would have had no issues with being fired. She pushed at the rules and guidelines of company policy herself before when trying to achieve a certain goal and had not been worried then. But now? There was more to this than just Rupi’s employment. For a moment there was a flash of Natalya and what they both would lose. But then again, what could they gain if Rupi stood her ground?

“I wasn’t intending to blackmail anyone, until I heard the little game you and Rufio happened to be playing. Yes, what I did was shameless and cruel, but I did it anyways.” Rupi replied, speaking calmly and with a guarded face as if Candice was one of her patients instead of her boss. “Why? Because I fully believe I can run this Institution better than your so-called temporary appointee or any other doctor you bring in. Because I’ve been here the longest. I’ve seen how it works. I know how it works. Any outsider you bring in will only cause upheavals and trouble in the transition phase. Performances and patients both will suffer. But that seems to be what you want, rather than appointing someone who already knows how things work and run around here. No, what I did wasn’t about me or you. It was about business, and I’m always about business Candice.” Rupi growled back.

“You want to fire me? Go ahead. But that doesn’t mean everyone won’t hear the circumstances on why. You already fired the Head of Staff. Now another Head? There is no way you will survive as leadership once word of this shake-up gets out. And I don’t just mean the Board members, Candice. I mean everyone. How can others expect you to lead if you allowed such incompetency in the first place, hm? What’s to stop them from thinking any new people you bring in won’t be the same? If I go, you’ll be soon joining me in the unemployment line, Candice. Think on your next steps carefully, because I’m willing to keep this between us.” Rupi said, before flashing a smile. “Well, us and your little pet, wherever he is.”

stana-katic-castle.jpg

Dr. Vera had just added herself to the short list of people Candice disliked. Why did she have to be so damn nosey? Can't leave well enough alone. And then to challenge her leadership, to challenge her position just infuriated her more.

"You seem to think I'm just some meager name on the Board that can be written off if need be. Listen to me doctor, I own most of this place. If it wasn't for my...my fucking funding, none of you would have jobs," she was seething now, egged on by Dr. Vera's cockiness, "So listen to me. You think you ca bury me, but you'll take down this whole place with me. All these patients. Good and dead. You think the Board would keep them alive? They can't fund the place. No, they'll shut it down, kill everything and start fresh in some dingy smaller facility because they can't afford to keep the fucking lights on in this place, let alone pay all your salaries."

She paced back and forth, "And as for Miss Thorn, not that I need to explain myself to the likes of you, but she has been the one working under Funer for the past two years. Do you even understand the amount of paperwork his job entailed? Or do you just assume you get to boss those around and that's it? The girl is highly qualified to keep making those reports and signing off on those papers. She's been doing it for years. And perhaps the only reason we are hiring from outside the company is because we get matters like this. Disrespectful, unloyal, ungrateful doctors who feel it necessary to blackmail their bosses over meerly asking."

She turned and stormed to the desk, leaning on it as Rupi had done to her in her office, "You know, before you barged in, you were one of the Head's worth considering. The only reason Miller didn't present it to you was because we knew you'd have to cut down your patient list in half, and miss goody two shoes here wouldn't like that, would she?"

Her eyes narrowed, and suddenly Candice switched the tables, "But you seem to want this so bad Dr. Vera. So fine. It's yours. You have a week to show me you aren't the biggest screw up. And if you breath a word to the Board or anyone about what you saw I'll bury you so far in the ground. Hell, maybe I'll just feed you to the patients here. Lord knows some of them would enjoy that."

She smiled, a wicked, devilish grin as if she knew something Dr. Vera didn't, "Starting immediately you're now Head of Staff. Congratulations. Guess that means we need a new Head to Department X, and Miss Thorn can remain secretary for them. You'll want to delegate all your patients to other doctors in your department. Lord knows you won't have time for anyone anymore. All just paperwork and disgruntled complaints you get to deal with now. But that's what you wanted."

In truth, Dr. Vera could probably hold on to one or two special case patients if she juggled the work load correctly. But Candice wasn't lying about paperwork. Dr. Vera would now be in charge of reading all reports and signing off on them, complaints, scheduling, paychecks, every document in the facility would end on her desk at one point or another. It had swamped Dr. Funer, leaving him only a small amount of free time to see patients or conduct business with his staff, and it would for her too. Candice knew how Dr. Vera worked, and she was here for those patients, wanting to somehow help them. Being told she couldn't might make her backtrack her statements, which Candice hoped for. If Dr. Vera refused the offer, Candice could very well walk out without the blackmail over her head or Dr. Vera in power. And if she agrees she has a week to prove me wrong.

Now…now they were just insulting each other, trying to maintain a hint of the previous dynamic before Rupi had barged in. She did not feel sorry for it. She knew what she asked for and the consequences thereof. But she found it amusing how Candice strove so hard to maintain a bit of dignity and power over Rupinder, trying to scare her with responsibility and threats. If Rupi had not been aware of that, she would not have done what she did in the first place. She might lose face to face with patients, but she felt she could do better for the patients by overseeing all the work. She would know what each doctor was doing to each patient. She would know how get the best for each. She worked longer hours than Funer had. She could do the work and probably still have time to see a few patients.

No, Rupi wasn’t concerned at all. She simply sat there, listening with a passive expression, letting Candice have her final say. Rupi had what she wanted. If Candice needed this last bit of pride to placate herself, Rupi would let her have it. If she lost her patients, so what? The one she actually cared about wasn’t even her patient to begin with. The others were making good progress. If they reverted back, it would not be Rupi’s fault but the doctors whom she now managed. And Rupi would strive to ensure only actual work got done.

“One week, Candice. I heard you.” She simply replied when the Board member finished speaking. “I expect you’ll make an announcement soon, as is befitting. If there is nothing else to discuss, you’ll have to excuse me as I now have plenty of work to do. I hope you’ll enjoy your stay at the Institution for as long as you wish.” Rupi said to Candice as she stood, looking the other woman right in the eyes. Feed me to the patients? Maybe one day I’ll feed on you. A small smirk came over her own lips, a blatant challenge to Candice in showing she gave no fucks about the woman’s anger or threats.

stana-katic-castle.jpg

Rupi's Office
Tags: Rupi

Dr. Vera was obviously sure of herself that she could do this. We will see. Turning, Candice stormed out of the office, knowing she had plenty left to do, and now she needed to see Miss Thorn once more, not to mention find Miller.

Rupi merely smirked when Candice did not reply to her goading, spinning on her heel to march out of her office. Well that turned out better than expected! Rupi at once slouched in her seat, rubbing her temple with her fingers. That had been hectic and laborious. But worth it. Now she could finally get some meaningful work done. But that was not her real intentions. Being the new Head of Staff, temporary or not, gave her certain privileges. Powerful privileges. Which she immediately put to use, logging into the system and pulling up a security feed. She needed to see her, to make sure that this was not all for naught.

And what she saw made her eyes widen with shock. How dare they! She raged, snapping her computer off. But how could they know? It could not be a trick. Regardless, it was time to exercise some of her newfound powers. Rising from her seat, Rupi stormed out of the office with a vengeance. She wouldn’t let them get away with this twice…

[Depart to Cell Block C]​

y_008aeb7d.jpg

Who needs to unpack?
Tags: Jinx is to come...soon, Open

She couldn't believe it.

They were real. All of it. Every one of them, a nonhuman. Her eyes were wide with wonder as her heels clicked down the pristine white corridor, staring into each glass cell. All supernatural, all ready to be studied.

"Ma'am, you still need to unpack and file paperwork. You've barely been on the ground for ten minutes."

She waved him off, stepping up to a cell where a girl just watched her confused. Of course she would be. Everyone hear probably wore lab coats and had done up hair. And here she was, tattooed covered body, wearing leather tight high shorts and a expensive top that showed off her curves.

"Who are you?" the girl scoffed.

"You'll speak to a doctor with respect," one of her entourage snapped, both of them guards for Eternal Peaks in disguise. They wore suits to pick her up at the airport, but she knew they had bulletproof vests on underneath.

"That's alright boys," she wiggled her finger at them, "She asked a good question."

"Please ma'am, this way."

Sighing she followed them down another corridor, this one lined with offices and labs. They had already explained she'd get two offices, a small one on the main floor strictly for paperwork, and a larger one on the second sublevel, to see patients with.

"The hall is split into different sectors based on department," one guard explained, pointing out the names on the doors, "You work under Department X, correct?"

"Mhm. You know, I can find my own way. These legs were made for walking."

They ignored her, stepping up to a door with a freshly painted name on it. One used his key code and they both stepped in, dropping her bags off at the door and explaining everything else would be in the computer system for her to read. Then they handed her a key card and a I.D badge and were on their way. Watching them walk away she turned back to the door, thinking about all the work she'd be getting down inside this room for the years to come. And She couldn't help as she smiled and read it:

Dr. Mackenzie Z. Danvers

y_008aeb7d_zps1vonfytm.jpg

Meeting Her first Supernatural
Tags:Jinx

Mackenzie spent her first hour making the office a little more...her. She organized it so the desk was at the back of the room, next to a small electric fireplace. There were two old couches she angled in the middle of the room facing each other. Then she set up the computer, but while it was fast, it wasn't up to speed with her laptop. Trashing the computer she pulled and set up her laptop, getting all ready and ordering two leather couches and a few decorations before finally relaxing in her chair with her feet on the desk, laptop in her lap. Emails...so many emails to run through. She scrolled through the last day's alone and she could see there wasn't a dull moment here.

Her eyes caught on one email, and her mouse hovered over it, clicking it to open.

Isolation Tank

Patient MB4523 has been put in an isolation tank for a minimum of seventy two hours, due to the death of a guard. Caution is advised.

"They have isolation tanks here?" she thought out loud, getting up, "I mean...one peak won't hurt. Plus I can tour around some more."

Grabbing her key card she slipped out, closing the door and looking left then right before wandering around. Eventually she found the isolation room, with three tanks inside. Two were open but one was closed, and a small glass window showed her a white haired girl inside. In front of the tank was a control panel, the technology at her fingertips far more advanced then she had seen before. Swiping her card more options came up as Mack fiddled with it, wondering what it might do. She was careful , or as careful as she thought she could be to make sure the tank wouldn't open. But then she heard a loud beep and the tank started hissing. Her eyes widened as she realized her hand had skimmed the "unlock" button as she had been trying to gain information about the patient.

"Oh," she sighed, "Fuck."

Name: Magan “Jinx” Ballentyne
Tag: Mackenzie
Day: 3

Time had become an elusive concept. With no markers, it all seemed to swirl together. There was nothing. Her senses had been deprieved of everything. Jinx replayed the events over and over in her mind. She had told her, yelled at her, that she couldn’t control it. Something had happened. Ever since she went into that room with Dr…..that man….something had happened to her powers. They no longer seemed under her control. At times, if she simply tried to use a little, it was as if it had been amplified. Other times she couldn’t move anything. It was confusing, and she panicked over the clear lack of control. She had not felt this helpless with her own power since she was a child, and her grandmother wasn’t here to help her.

The scene in her mind was cut short as the sound of the tank opening boomed in her ears. The first real sound she had heard since the can carrying the gas that had rendered her further helpless clinked into her cell. Light flooded in, blanketing her, and Jinx threw up her hands covering her eyes. “Don’t..touch me,” she whispered. “I can’t..I can’t..control it. I didn’t mean it!” She could still smell the blood and hear the guards bones breaking as she was crushed against the wall, and there was no way to make it stop. She had never hurt any living thing in her life, and now she had the death of a guard on her hands. “Just let me go. I wanna go home. Please. I want my family.”

Mackenzie backed up to the far wall as it opened, clearly unsure what was to come out. It was a girl, she knew that much, and it was a supernatural. But was it friendly? Or would this patient turn and try to hurt her. As the tank opened she could hear the tiny voice call out, but she missed what was said, taking a step forward.

"Hey there," she called back, "I didn't hear you there, do you want to step out? My name is Dr. Danvers. I'm new...obviously.

Tag: Mack

Another voice. A woman. Jinx looked around, scared to step out of the tank at first, but then she realized the voice was asking her if she wanted out. “Yes,” she replied, reaching up to pull herself from the confines. “I want out. Out of this tank. Out of this place,” she told her, making sure not to look up. She didn’t want to see her as she was afraid her powers might send the woman to the wall. One death was enough.

Dr. Danvers. Jinx trembled, not sure what kind of doctor this was. The bandage was still attached to her head. Pain still throbbed. Her fingers reached for it, making her cringe as she felt it. “A doctor,” she asked. “A doctor..did this..to me. I don’t..know..why. I didn’t..do anything wrong. I just..want..to go home. I’m not bad. It was..an accident. I didn’t mean..to ki..to hurt her. I didn’t…..” Slowly she lifted her eyes and removed her hand. Still not looking at her she continued. “Mean..to kill..her. I didn’t mean..to kill her. I can’t..help it. I can’t..control it..anymore.”

Mack was well aware how the supernaturals were brought here. No one had sugar coated it, or even tried. They were taken, some against their will, others not. Their goal, as they told her, was to understand them and then neutralize their dangerous aspects, before releasing them to the world again. She was an idiot; Mackenzie had caught on much too quickly that their supposed goal would never be reached in any short amount of time. What they had here was a classic case of assimilation. Take what the humans saw as inferior, force them into camps, or in this case an underground institute, and keep them there till they were deemed "civilized". In this case though, Mack wondered if some were going too far, taking the chance with these locked up beings to test drugs, viruses and the like. Although it wouldn't be the worse thing if someone cured cancer working in this facility. Then at least something good came out of it.

So why did Dr. Danvers sign on then? There was no way to deny she had been hesitant at first. They had actually approached her three months back and she had declined. But the idea of meeting supernaturals had festered in her mind. She could learn so much from them, just by asking. It had been her who approached the Board the second time, asking if there was still a spot available. She didn't need to stick them with needles, or prod them or inject them with drugs. All she had were questions, and endless time. Well not endless, she thought somberly, Definitely not endless.

She was going to have even less time than she thought if this patient turned on her and her stupid curiosity. She could hear her rambling now, talking about how she killed someone on accident. Killed?! How many...how many have died in here? I should look that up. Have I gotten in over my head? No Mack...just breathe. Your fine. You can be the good doctor. Make her like you, and maybe she won't murder you where you stand.

"I'm sure you didn't mean to," she agreed, hiding the nervousness out of her voice as she stepped away from the far wall, praying this girl wouldn't lash out, "Can you tell me what you can't control? What your, erm, powers are? Maybe I can help."

How was she going to help? She knew neither science nor medicine, and the girl was obviously some of that and a whole lot of therapy from the sounds of it. All Mackenzie could do was console her, and pray she wasn't murdered in the process. Stepping around the tank she got a better look at the girl before she could see Dr. Danvers. She was young and beautiful, with stark white hair and pale yet rosy cheeks. Reminds me of that disney princess, but this one isn't singing.

She continued around the tank until she was in full view, and also right in front of the door. It was now only a hands reach away, and Mackenzie wondered how many seconds it would take to fling it open and bolt through, then collect a guard. If the girl was in an isolation tank due to uncontrollable powers, than Mack had made a dire mistake, and she didn't want it to cost her life.

“My powers,” she mumbled, answering her question. “I can’t..control them. He.. he hurt my head..and now..I can’t..control it.” Her eyes quickly lifted seeing the doctor. Shifting towards the door, it slowly opened for her. “You’re trying to leave. Do I scare you? I did that,” she told her point to the door.

“I just..took my time..and I made it open, but I didn’t mean to kill her. I told her I couldn’t help it. I had control. I could do anything,” she shouted, causing the door to slam shut hard. The door itself crumpled like a tin can under the stress of her powers. “Not again,” she said, bringing both hands up to her head. “Not again. No. I won’t do it. I won’t. Breathe. Relax. Calm down.” Jinx began to mentally, and physically, reign in her emotions. She knew another death on her hands would land her in worse conditions that the tank she had been inside. Another person’s blood on her hands was not something she wanted. “I won’t hurt you,” she repeated over and over again. “I won’t..hurt you.” Her body moved with every deep breath she took until finally her trembling hands moved from her head. “I’m sorry,” she told her before turning her gaze towards the door. It took all of her focus to slowly straighten the door, leaving it looking new, before she opened it. After the task was done, Jinx stumbled back, nearly falling back inside the tank, clearly exhausted. “It’s not..fair,” she said. “I had it..under control.”

Mackenzie jumped as the door swung open and slammed shut, her hand slapping over her mouth to stifle her fear. It continued to hold that in as the door crumpled and Mackenzie winced. This is what you get! This is what you get Mack for poking your nose into things before you understand them. Mom was right. I'm going to die from my curiosity.

She remained stark still and doe eyed as she watched, noting that this girl barely glanced at her, her eyes unfocused as she ranted. She would know if this patient had seen Mack; every other person she had passed in this facility so far had given her a second look, taking in her very...unprofessional style. As she stood there the door uncrumpled and a tired look washed over the girl's face.

Mackenzie knew she couldn't keep quiet and scared if she wanted to keep this girl calm. Collecting her confidence she dropped her hands to the sides and opened her mouth to speak, "Someone took your control away? Is that what your saying? And you...you hurt someone because of it. I'm just trying to understand, alright? I'm not hear to hurt you. How about...how about you tell me your name?"

“I can’t..remember. It’s a..it’s a number..and I can’t..remember it,” she told her, her face scrunching up as she began to cry. “Magan,” she told her, wiping her face. “My name is Magan, but my family..they call me..Jinx. At least they use to. I don’t know..if they’re okay.”

Jinx took a deep breath as she finally focused on the woman in the room. No longer did she feel her powers were like a loose cannon, ready to fire off at random at this person with her now. She was….different….from what she had seen so far. “Are you..a patient,” she asked, her eyes scanning her. “You don’t look..like any kind of doctor..I’ve ever seen.” She continued regard her, remembering her question. “My control..is gone. I had it. Learned it when I was young, but now,” she shook her head, wiping away a fresh stray tear, “I can’t. It’s stronger. It’s weaker. I can’t..control it. The man..the doctor..he did something..to my head..and now..I don’t know,” she told her, her total lack of understanding clear. “If you are a doctor..would you..look..at my head? Please? Tell me..what he did..if you can?”

"Jinx, that's a pretty name," she was trying to keep matters calm, knowing riling up a girl with uncontrollable powers was suicidal, "No, I really am a doctor. Just not a typical one. You can call me Mackenzie if you like. And I'm sorry sweetie, but I'm not a medical doctor. My phD's were in history and religion."

She looked so upset though. Maybe all this girl wanted was some help. Perhaps Mack could give her that help, and make something good out of her mistake, "Please, just stay there Jinx. I'm going to get a nurse so they can check on you, alright?"

She fumbled with the door behind her, getting it open and stepping out. For a second the thought occurred to simply call for security and let them put her back in the tank. But how was that fair? And what headway would she make if she bullied her patients?So instead she tracked down a nurse and dragged her back, pulling them both into the room.

"Y-you let a patient out?" the nurse stuttered, looking afraid.

"Yes, as a doctor I'm pretty sure I can do that," she retorted, although she had no idea what rules were in place yet, "I need you to check the incision on her brain. I want to know what went in, or came out."

She smiled softly. “You don’t look like any doctor I’ve ever seen before. I never met anybody with a tattoo before either. Did it hurt when you got them?” She nodded as Mack said she would get help. Part of her thought she just wanted to get away from her. Who could blame her really? This woman, this doctor, knew nothing about her. This was the first time they would meet, and what the doctor didn’t know was that Jinx was on high alert. The last doctor she met put her through agony.

Jinx watched her leave, pretty sure she was not coming back. Still she waited. She was going to give her so much time before opening the door and peering out into the hall. For a moment, she thought about using her powers to simply push down the walls and leave, but that may cause more trouble. She was already a little worse for the wear, and she hadn’t even caused any trouble. It puzzled her so why the doctor had done what he did. In doing so, he had caused such damage that she wasn’t sure if she would ever be able to regain her control.

When the door opened once more, two people came through this time. Mack and a nurse. She listened to their conversation and her eyes widened. “What went in? What came out? So there is a hole in my head? I mean..I thought he did it, but he really..did it? Oh my gosh! He drilled a hole in my head!” The lights flickered in the room as the bulbs were jiggled in their sockets. “He put a hole in my head! He took out part of my brain! My daddy always says, ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.’ He should have left me alone! Now look at me! I can’t control it! I can’t control any of this!” The door moved back and forth, and Jinx knew she was losing control. “Not again. Not again,” she chanted, holding her head. “Dr. Gregor did this to me! He’s an evil man! Not again! Not again! I’m sorry,” she said sliding down to the floor, rocking. “I won’t..hurt..anybody. I won’t!”

Mackenzie acted on instinct, dismissing the nurse quickly before things got worse. She knew the nurse would rush to the guards, so time was short. Stepping forward she knelt, grabbing Jinxs hands softly and holding them in hers. The young girl reminded her of her little sister, more than this patient would ever understand.

"Breathe," she instructed, "Follow me okay? In...hold...out. In....out...in...out. Just focus on your breath Jinx. Ignore the rest. Just focus on breathing in and out."

She was right in front of the woman now. If Jinx wanted to, Mackenzie would be dead. She'd already killed one person before, and Mack was well aware of the danger. But she cared little. Maybe it was the risk taker in her, or the curiosity spiking. Maybe it was because she had nothing to lose.

"That's it. Just breathe. There will be guards coming soon alright? What I need you to do is ignore them. Just breathe. You breathe, and I'll do the talking. I opened the tank, this is my fault. Now breathe Jinx."

She was a professor not a therapist, and a smile pulled at her lips at the fact she was already not doing her job, and she'd only been there for an hour. I might enjoy this place after all. Excitement around ever bend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom