Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Chill Between Them (CasualVelociraptor x Alisa_Perne)

When Jane arrived Yasmine was not her usual elegant self, no, she had fallen quite far from her grace and poise and dignity, all that filled her now was anger, rage and a slight touch of insanity. "Jane." Yasmine said, from her bed, she had retreated there and for the last few months had barely left aside to use the bathroom and shower, otherwise she lived in her bed, and she never put clothes on anymore. She used to love dressing in elegant gowns, putting on jewelry and making herself a beacon of beauty, now she was disheveled, still beautiful, but it was clear she had fallen far from her grace and become a shadow of her former self. " How are you? Its' been months since we have chatted, and by chatted I mean a literal conversation beyond me ordering you around or fucking you senseless." Also, since she was bed ridden, she had to resort to niceties instead of her usual, pin you to the wall fuck you senseless or beat you senseless till I get information, way of speaking with people, while some agreed it was a nice change of pace, others knew she was very bad at it.

Shiloh vents her anger at Yasmine
Jane snorted with a grin to herself as she saw the pathetic, bed-ridden woman laid low for once. For all her faults, at least this unfortunate groin stabbing incident had helped Yasmine be at least a touch more self-aware about them.

"Certainly better than when I was in the Turkish Civil War, I can tell you that much. But that...injury? That was still pretty gnarly, and I've seen people's legs blown off," Jane replied in a wry manner, attempting to lift the mood somewhat. "By the way, that bitch is getting the silent treatment from me. And I've been told I can get pretty silent. If she's not going to cooperate, at least she won't bother us."

Jane then folded her sinewy arms over her generous chest and asked, "So, uh...you said you had things to discuss?"

Meanwhile, that night, Shiloh had revisited the very rooftop where Connor died. It was a cloudy, moonless night, she noticed, although even the moon's light would not have helped soothe the fever in her soul. Not while she was fixating on the AR outline that used to be her friend.

She wished she could have had one more night, hell, one more minute with him to proclaim how she felt. Yet, she had spent so long getting over Kevin that she had been too much of a coward. And now she slammed her right fist on the flimsy, fake wood that held her weight. And now all the wishing in the world would do her no good.

"I'm sorry, Connor," Shiloh said to the empty hat that used to hold the head she adored most in this world. She couldn't entirely blame Yasmine for this. After all, she was feeling so much grief and had wanted to lash out at this world that only took and never gave an inch. The difference was, she didn't have an army of stormtroopers at her beck and call that could cause even more damage, of the kind Connor would surely have tried to stop if he was still alive. If Erika and Michael truly had been chased into the dark corners of the IceBurgh, killed, or worse because of her, then any kindness Connor had seen in his mother was gone. Now there was only whatever part of her Connor had fled from a year ago, and so, as her tears watered his final resting place, and the rain followed, Shiloh's heart declared war on the monster Yasmine Legato had become with a wordless scream of ultimate suffering.

Still, some part of her wished that she'd been able to meet Yasmine before they became enemies; perhaps if Yasmine could have seen them all through Connor's eyes, there would be something to her instead of hatred. Now she was angry at Connor for hiding so much of who he was, for making her have to take on an entire cartel by herself, and so she punched the outline until her knuckles were bloody. Then she screamed again, her grief carried on the indifferent wind along with her legs when she ran again.

Last edited:
"While I appreciate you giving our prisoner the silent treatment, it does me no good as to find the whereabouts of Shiloh, the one responsible for getting my Connor into this mess." she said, holding back a tear, his memory still living on in her heart and head, "I may have been angry at him constantly, and pushed my one and only son out of my arms due to my constant fluttering over him and wanting to protect him, I never wished him dead. I would gladly exchange my life for his." She truly meant this, "But if I cant have him, I will have her. Find Shiloh for me Jane, and I mean this sincerely, you have my entire resources at your disposal, whatever it takes, find her, bring her to me, I want to know what happened to my Connor, I want to know his last words, and I want to know what he saw in this girl. You have one year to find her, after that point, I will get out of this bed and find her myself if you have not." She made no threats, to fuck Jane stupid, nor Shiloh stupid even, just a quiet vengeance and longing for her son. She had yet to completely mourn him, the recent events had completely staved off any tears she might have shed. Then the dam broke, she started sobbing, through her tears she said, "I just wanted him to be safe." she said, "I'm such a terrible father." That wasn't a slip of the tongue, only a select few knew that Yasmine was once Nathaniel, and Jane was one of them.

"I don't know if I necessarily need a year. A few weeks of cabin fever will be enough for anyone to break, and Erika will tell us what we need to know, if she knows anything," Jane said with a self-assured grin. "But in the meantime, I will increase the reward to a million BB for live apprehension, with your approval; that should pique the attention of every bottom dwelling bounty hunter in this city, and they may be able to do our work for us. Do you have any other suggestions for how we might more easily apprehend her, or is our business concluded?" she then inquired, continuing to refuse any social entanglements by not addressing what Yasmine was saying about being a terrible father.

That, and Jane didn't give a fucking shit. Her view? Fathers and mothers (not to mention her own) had always been disappointments for centuries, and you were lucky in human history if they weren't trying to actively kill you. The comforts of "modern" civilization had allowed people to pretend that they were any different than their primal instincts and useless emotions, but once those fell away, people went right back to being apes hurting each other because they could. Whether Yasmine had been a good father before it all went to shit for her made no difference whatsoever; it was still all shit now. If she was Yasmine, she would be able to purge her grief in one go, even if she had to buy up an entire weed dispensary to do so, and then bury it forever.

At least, that was what Jane told herself as she waited for Yasmine's answer.

Last edited:
"So, I've had lots of time to think, after all, that's all I do now and I have an idea, we known Shiloh was a courier, and she probably is held up somewhere in need of money. Set up a job that is too good to be true. Like one she cannot possibly refuse, it has to be easy and pay well. Not too easy so she thinks its a trap, we don't want her to not take the bait. Then, you set up the drop off point with some of the goons waiting to capture her. From there, well, you know the rest, bring her to me." Yasmine smiled at her brilliance, something she hadn't done in a while.

"That's a good overall plan, but I need a little more information on how you would like me to set this up. Obviously, she won't take the bait if she knows it's from you. So you need to decide what sort of item you're willing to temporarily put in a package, decide on a fake name, shell corporation, whatever as the originator, then pick a delivery address where I'll deploy my capture team. Then I'll contact a confidential informant that Neo Varangians has..." Jane said, then paused, wondering whether it was relevant what blackmail material they possessed.

"...something on named Beetle, who's been in the world of underground couriering for nearly five years now and has been working for us for six months. He's a trusted 'dropper' to several 'runners,' including Shiloh. Droppers are the people who take packages initially, then give them to runners on a rotating basis, at which point the runner dead drops the package and then is paid by the dropper. This way, it's difficult to pin down who's doing this and why. But more importantly, Beetle doesn't appear to have worked with Shiloh of late, so she shouldn't suspect anything."

"Come by tomorrow and I will have the item for you." Yasmine said, "In regards to the plan, make it easy. The job Connor was killed on? Make it that, say his employer wants the job finished regardless." A wide grin crossed her face, "She will be forced to do it in his memory none the less, she cannot possibly resist." She looked at Jane, "I'm sorry." she said with a whisper, "Before I got what I deserved, I was going to fuck you till you were no longer conscious, you didn't deserve that, I know I have done it before, and for that, I am sorry too."

"Eh. You've threatened to fuck me into unconsciousness so many times before that I'm used to it, but anytime we've fucked, I've not been disappointed," Jane shrugged; even though she was relieved and simultaneously angry that Yasmine was apologizing now, the super soldier in her once again told her to conceal it. "Now, as for the plan...it's a bit risky to have this be based around the job that Connor and Shiloh failed at, but I think Beetle can sell it. Anything else?"

Last edited:
"Just....drop by tomorrow and I will have your package ready. Its going to be something rather special. Make sure that when you catch her, open it and show it to her, just so she knows exactly what is happening." Yasmine sunk back down into her bed, "I'm sorry Jane, I mean it."

Jane gets Shiloh’s mentor Beetle to bait her into a trap job
"I see that you mean it," Jane said, refusing to outright accept the prone woman's apology. "And I'll get this done."

The next evening, after getting the package from Yasmine, she met with her ex-boyfriend, the Beetle, and gave him the locket in a box made to be about as big as the reported dimensions of the box that was destroyed. It was a very tight, terse conversation; not only because that was her want, but because she still hadn't forgiven him for what he did. How could she, when six months ago, at the height of their (very open) relationship, he'd burdened her with a truth so dark, so horrifying that it would get them both killed if anyone else but them found out about it?

"You want me to give this to Shiloh? I- I don't know if I can to do that to her," he'd said. "You see, she broke into me flat three years ago, when she was just a starving wee pup, she was. I took her in like she was my own, gave her a job, some friends, helped her find her first boyfriend...she was my chance to make things right..." And it had given him such joy to have her, Kevin, Erika, Michael, Connor, and others living with him and learning from him that he’d rededicated his life to coaching couriers- both droppers and runners.

"Can it, Beetle. You'll do this, unless you want people to know why you really don't have eyes anymore," Jane snarled at the towering Scotsman, angry that she'd ever shown weakness to this sniveling old pile of failure that used to be a man.

"Look, I said I'm sorry. How long are you going to hold this over mah head, darlin'?" Beetle asked, desperate now.

"As long as it feels good," Jane chuckled to herself, the soldier starting to employ a little more than her usual steely efficiency in her face.

One week after Connor's death

"I know it was a risk, but thank you for agreeing to meet me here, for old times' sake," the old runner smiled through cracked lips at Shiloh, then sipped coffee at the Grade A Distributors in Sector 1 of the Bummock (the neighborhood closest to the surface area), which sold all kinds of legal and illegal drugs, printed food and drinks, and recycled plaid and khaki clothing. The kind of thing that would've been trendy in Seattle before it was hit by a dirty bomb ten years ago.

Shiloh said nothing for a moment, choosing instead to lower her gaze towards her cotton tasting coffee so that the ragged hoodie and the brim of Connor's hat would block her from view. The NuCaffeine would make her jumpy, but it was at least some energy to run off of. And she needed to be jumpy; no less than twenty men and women had attacked her in the past week looking for that stupid million BB reward, meaning food and sleep had been elusive for her. She'd even tried to take the edge off with a sex worker, only to be attacked by them and have to flee wearing very little. If she only knew that Beetle had called off her pursuers so he could meet with her.

"Well, you said this was worth a million bucks, and I need that to buy off my bounty," Shiloh said. Alack, again! For if only she'd known that no amount of money would ever buy her freedom. "So, what's the job?"

"I'm gonna be straight with you, kid...you're not gonna like it."

"I'm not a kid anymore, Beetle. What's. The. Job?"

"It's the package you and Connor...lost. That night." What little color ran in Shiloh's face drained instantly. "Someone else- another dropper, I think- retrieved it and gave it back to the original client. Now this item needs to be delivered more urgently, and you're just the girl to do it, Shi-"

"Shhh!"

"Sorry. Let an old man have his bad habits," Beetle sighed. He'd never quite gotten used to calling her Tranquil, and what little he'd seen of her eyes had indicated she was anything but.

If Shiloh hadn't known that he had been lacking eyes for the past three years, she could have sworn that the crummy red photoprocessors looked saddened. Or maybe she just had gotten good at reading her old mentor's expressions based on the rest of his face. "Anyway, all the instructions are under the ribbon, like always."

"Thank you. You don't know how much this means to me, Beetle," the 23 year old waif said, then got up out of her seat and jumped into her former caretaker's arms, the first human contact she'd had since the night Erika and Michael disappeared.

"Yeah, yeah. Just...be careful out there, okay, pup? And if you're still alive, maybe I'll buy you a drink?" Beetle asked, sighing again as a long neglected part of his body stirred, and thankful that she hadn’t pressed up against it. His heart was more torn; he both hoped that it might turn out to be something more, and hated himself for even thinking like that towards a woman who he had nursed back to health, and who was young enough to be his daughter.

"I'll hold you to that," Shiloh said, cracking her first real, toothy smile since Connor died, then gulped down her coffee and left with the package in hand. Hopefully, this would lead to a lot of more positive firsts...

"Alright, it's done. Now can I go home?" Beetle asked Jane over the phone once Shiloh had left.

Last edited:
"Yes." Jane said, "If you betray me, you are betraying Yasmine, and that is a death sentence you worthless piece of shit." She said and hung up the phone and tossed it aside. "Now, where were we?" Jane said thrusting her hips backwards and plunging the huge strap on into Yasmine's ass for the hundredth time or so. Yasmine couldn't fuck unfortunately, and her sexual appetites' must still be sated in one way or another and it was up to Jane, who just so happened to be in possession of a strap on that almost rivaled Yasmine's cock in size.

"More." Yasmine said lustfully, she really didn't have many words for this sensation, she didn't experience it often, only because it was a sign of submission to her, so she was almost angry to have this done, until of course the sweet release. "God dammit I said more." Yasmine said with a grunt.

Jane complied, partially because she had no choice and partially because it was an opportunity to take out a bit of stress on her employer, almost hate fucking. Jane did comply with Yasmine's request for more and she pounded away with all of her might and in this case since she was genetically enhanced, it was quite a lot. After a good fifteen minutes or so, Jane laid into Yasmine even harder, Yasmine writhed underneath Jane as she was fucked missionary style her bandaged now hard cock flopping around, leaking pre cum all over Yasmine's beautiful skin till finally Yasmine let out a near scream as her own cock covered her in cum. Breathing heavily Jane pulled the strap on out of Yasmine and then laid her on the bed more comfortably as she covered Yasmine and then left the room, tossing the strap on aside and going into the shower to clean herself off and get herself off, as the strap on only served to get Yasmine off.

Jane's own horniness didn't, however, go away in the shower like she expected it to, even after three clitoral orgasms. The super soldier had fooled around with Yasmine plenty, and the sex they had done had almost gotten here there, but goddammit, she hadn't been turned on this much by anyone since breaking up with the Beetle. Something about the fact that she was in charge of Yasmine's sexuality, just like she hoped to be soon for that bratty Erika girl, was such a turn on. She also knew that Shiloh had been drawn to Connor in a similar manner, even if tiny, shy Shiloh hadn't said so before he bit dirt, so perhaps the Legato had high pheromone levels or something? Perhaps, too, Shiloh had something in her blood, as Jane could tell that Beetle was thinking about Shiloh as more than a mentee. Or, to uncomplicate things, Jane thought she was just personally excited by the prospect of catching the runner tonight and making her Yasmine's prisoner too. She didn't mind that Yasmine couldn't fuck her yet, as she'd be able to slake her lust plenty with both couriers' bodies for a year.

She had thought about getting dressed but decided against it, instead choosing to show up naked back in Yasmine's bedroom and grinning, "I know what you're thinking, but we can't have too much fun yet. I've just gotten the camera feed for the warehouse you chose in Crystal Heights."

The area of the IceBurgh that Connor and Shiloh had run on was a surface neighborhood of approximately 35,000 people that was home to middle and upper class employs (as in, people who were mandated to clock in and out of an office eight hours a day, in legal but drudge-filled employment, or teleworked, meaning they could do the same thing, but with their computer looking at them all the time, so that they weren't in their underwear or playing video games.) It still had a few factory workers, though, most of them in a drone manufacturing warehouse. However, they had now been cleared out by the Neo Varangians; this was now where the mercenaries lay in wait while the bots continued making as many of their flying counterparts as possible.

Then Jane laid her left leg over Yasmine's right, with her pussy in full view below Yasmine.

"Doesn't mean that Shiloh will be there right away, if you want to make the stakeout go by faster," she winked.

"Precisely how do you I propose that I do that?" she asked, though she knew the answer, she still wanted to feel like she was in control. "My cock is quite useless right now as it can do little more than cum and piss, not quite healed enough to fuck you stupid like I know you desire." Though, the thought of what Jane wanted her to do caused her cock to get hard, and she longed to use it again, even though Jane fucked her, and fucked her well it was not quite the same as using that battering ram of a cock she had. Yasmine grinned and licked her lips, she knew what Jane wanted, but again, she wanted to hear her say it.

"I...I want you to eat my pussy, you obtuse cunt," Jane groaned as banks of monitors all around them that Yasmine would normally use to watch stock markets she was laundering money in, keep an eye on her employs, or observe the outside of her. She also chuckled, showing that she wasn't serious- a rare moment for the consummate operative.

"Ahh, well, you are just quite lucky that my dick is broken." Yasmine said, chuckling as well, "Or else I would just fuck you stupid instead you overgrown whore." Yasmine added another chuckle to show there was not venom in her words, then she slid in between Jane's legs like a snake, "You are getting pounded into oblivion once my cock heals." she leaned in and gave Jane's slit a few licks, "Just so you are aware." without another word Yasmine began to work over Jane's pussy like only she could, a suck on the clit, a lick to the folds, and a nice long tongue in her pussy then she just went for it, sucking on Jane's clit and tongue fucking her pussy then throwing in a finger or two as well.

"Y-You hardly ever do this when it's just us. You should get your dick stabbed more offfftemmmm," Jane said as her pussy was licked and then fingered by an enthusiastic Yasmine.

"Thats because I know my cock pleases you more." Yasmine said with a purr, "Now hurry up and cum because now, thanks to you, I do not think that I am quite sated yet and may require use of your strap on again." She said, pointing down to her cock, she wanted to stroke it, she wanted to use it so badly, but she knew if she did serious damage could be caused to the still healing wounds. So she took out her sexual frustration on Jane, licking, sucking biting, giving everything she had to her and enjoying her cunt. "Mmmh." she said with a moan, pausing for a second, "I should get my name tattooed on your cunt." she said as she grazed Jane's clit with her teeth before going back to ravenously eating it again.

Jane has sex with Yasmine while the trap is laid for Shiloh
"But...you know what, um, sometimes it's nice to just relax and have someone take care of you," Jane groaned as she came. "Oh, fuck! You really proved you can use other parts of your body. How about we discuss the tattoo thing if I can make you cum without the strapon?" Jane then wondered. Partially because she was curious, and partially because she didn't want to have to clean the strapon after just cleaning it. "Then we can discuss what we'll do to Shiloh once we catch her, over some weed and pizza?" Like the good days, about two years ago, when (while they were still employer and contractor, as they were today), they could laugh and just have fun without any pressure.

As Jane decided to prove it by massaging Yasmine's balls, fingering her ass, suckling the very tip of her cock (carefully!), and confidently treating them both to pizza, Shiloh woke up from a power nap, which she'd taken on a hard desk in an decommissioned security post that still had blank monitors attached. It wasn't a bad place to crash otherwise, however. Perhaps, if this went well and she was able to make a little more money, she could hack into the monitors herself, maybe jury rig a discarded camera, and watch for intruders. More importantly, the package was still between her thinning arms, that still had enough strength in them to keep it hugged tightly to herself.

What was eerie, even as she ran out into the hallway where she'd come from, was how close this route was to the original one that she ran with Connor. Almost as if the client had...memorized it somehow? If so, then how had the IBRS not caught wind of this being a runner route and locked it down with high security?

But the questions faded, and the task at hand occupied her mind instead. And when she busted open the door to the air conditioning room with her elbow and jumped off a ledge towards a geothermal heat pipe that was attached to the wall, in her mind she could hear Connor's laugh from that last day of his life, as he joked about how he could stay snuggled up to the pipe forever. Then he'd slid down the pipe and cheekily raced her to the end of a maintenance walkway that was right next to it.

At the time, Shiloh had joked that he hadn't won because she tripped on an errant pebble, but none of that mattered one week later, as she took in the view and knew he would have loved it, then continued running towards the destination.

Last edited:
"You know what, yes to both." Yasmine nodded happily, then as Jane began to gently suck and finger her it nearly sent her over the edge instantly, and she tried to hold back, but honestly that was the first person who had touched her in years that she didn't force to do so. As much as she tried to hold back the orgasm, she couldn't she just could not, and it was not for lack of trying over the years she had mastered the art of building up her stamina and holding back orgasms but this, this was torture, just the tip was all that was needed to make Yasmine bust what was left of her seed down Jane's throat as she moaned and gasped.

Jane greedily swallowed Yasmine's effluence, agreed to get "YASMINE" tattooed on her strong mound in bold letters, and toked up a joint that she shared with Yasmine, while still waiting for the pizza to arrive and for anything to happen on the interior cameras of the warehouse. Meanwhile, she was eagerly awaiting the moment when they could put Shiloh behind them, BioJack up and experience an epic shared trip of victory.

As for Shiloh, she was sliding under walls that were just raised enough for maintenance bots to pass under normally, running onto and then springing off black water pipes, climbing stairs, dodging cameras that swept the area and whirred, "Scanning for BioJack..." and even running along a wall before grabbing a ledge and pulling herself up to a table of frightened and confused employs that she ran past. She noted neither the restaurant's name nor any of their faces, only the scuff marks that she and Connor had left behind on that very same wall (which hadn’t been buffed out) that day. That day, which she was forced to replay in her mind and with her feet.

Minutes later, she got close to the building where Connor had died again, and paused, overanalyzing everything that had gone wrong as the sun finished setting. She'd wanted to play it safe and take the stairs inside, a service ladder that was left hanging down last time she ran through this, and then more stairs to the roof. But Connor argued that they didn't know if the ladder would be there or not, and should instead wall run back and forth between the main wall of the building and an overhanging poster that was being put up, swinging between the pylons that connected them like monkey bars. Shiloh knew she could have made it up the wall with her grappling line even without a ladder, but not everybody had a cybernetic arm with that sort of attachment, so she let Connor go for what he felt was the best route up. Then they'd been chased by the IRBS elite strike units that were lying in wait, and he was a second slower than her as he contended with the bars and died for it. So perhaps she should have insisted that he come with her, and then she could have pulled him up. Or would his weight have slowed them both down, getting them killed?

There had been no right call, Shiloh realized, and Connor was doomed either way. All she could do now was pay respects at the outline of his body once again, on a rooftop no one cared about, and then make a leap.

What felt like an eternity later, Shiloh reached the warehouse. She'd never been there before but...wasn't it supposed to still be time for the factory employs there to work? Or had this company really done away with the human element, in contravention of the few remaining labor laws in this IceBurgh? (Not that it was an uncommon occurrence for the Board of the Resort Community Council to be bribed to look the other way.) Either way, she was not comfortable with there being lights. So how best to disable them, drop her package in the shadows, and then split?

Normally, there would also be a guard, either human or robotic, waiting by the exterior junction box that, well, controlled everything from the lights to the automation. But he, she, or they were gone now too. Odd. In any case, the crafty little courier had learned a thing or two about repairing and breaking all sorts of machinery on the streets as she took grey market, highly dangerous electrician and mechanic jobs here and there to make ends meet while still being formally listed as "Occupation Deficient." With that experience in hand, she ripped open the panel with her cybernetic arm, found a control chip, and unplugged it, tossing it off the ledge, carelessly, into the void between buildings, the residence of speeding mag-lev car lines and discarded lives.

In response, the soldiers yelled, "Hey, who turned off the lights?!" and "It's her! Get her!," which made Shiloh realize that this job had been a trap. Putting aside her anger at Beetle, the one man she thought she could trust unequivocally, the package did not seem explosive or they would have detonated it, and her, already. So that meant she decided to keep it and see what this was all about, as a dozen people chased her across the IceBurgh rooftops.

"What the?!" Jane cried, starting to get a little bit high and moving sluggishly as she scrambled to fire off alerts to backup units to contain the situation.

Last edited:
"Jane, what's going on here?" Yasmine said, sitting up, the reality not quite hitting her yet. "Jane, she cut the lights, Jane, she knows." The paranoia started kicking in at first, "Jane she knows its a set up!" She started shouting, "Make them stop her! She knows! Jane!" Yasmine stood up, then fell down, mind and body still under the influence of drugs. "JANE STOP HER!" Yasmine shouted, "SHES GETTING AWAY JANE SHES GOING TO GET AWAY!" The shouts were a combination of a drug induced paranoia and rage. Yasmine resigned herself to the floor and started to cry and shout, as far as she was concerned this was her only chance to get Shiloh, "IF WE LOSE HER JANE SHES GONE FOR GOOD!" She pounded the floor, anger boiling over but not quite winning over the drugs.

Shiloh escapes the Neo Varangian ambush by way of blizzardcane
“Yeah, thanks, I was really forgetting my own name, asshat,” Jane snapped, the weed induced paranoia getting to her as well. “Look, I’m coordinating everything I can from here, including having three helicopter spotlights on her, but I have no idea how anyone who ain’t been augmented is that fast of a she devil. And she ain’t even using the grappling line in her arm.”

It was true. Cameras and lights may have been all over her, and bullets may have whizzed by her, but Shiloh was speed itself. Walls, gaps, alleyways and random construction objects were her allies; her means of throwing off the scent and slowing down the horde sent her way. But even as she embraced a fetal Yasmine on the floor, Jane knew that Shiloh would get tired, or trip, or someone on her team would get a clean shot. She couldn’t keep up the rabbiting act forever.

Jane didn’t account for the Category 6 blizzardcane that, two days ago, had buried the entire Eastern United States in fifteen feet of snow, degrading the fighting between the Liberty Pride Militia and the overstretched US Army, Air Force and National Guard into chaos, and pushed a 116 degree Fahrenheit heat wave on everything west of the Mississippi, lowering the water table of rivers and lakes as large as the Hoover Dam it went. It then rampaged back up Canada and the Republic of Greenland at remarkable speeds, forcing even those relatively stable governments to evacuate their capitals (Ottawa and Nuuk, respectively) and declare martial law and supply rationing in the affected areas. It had been predicted to miss the North Atlantic IceBurgh on its way to the North Sea IceBurgh, Iceland and Europe, so she’d paid it no mind. Earlier this morning, however a blob of warm air from the North Pole pushed it down while moving to dry out the Siberian tundra, and so now the snow and howling winds bore down on them, limiting visibility.

The Neo Varangians pressed on undeterred, but soon the wind sent one of the helicopter careening into a tenement skyscraper, forcing the other two birds to ground themselves. It also knocked out the camera systems, communications and electric grid for the entire city.

This plunged Jane and Yasmine into bitter cold and darkness, and Jane quickly made her disoriented boss huddle under blankets with her for warmth. The redundant geothermal power system was online within a few minutes, making sure nearly a million inhabitants didn’t freeze in a matter of hours. Several thousand Occupation Deficient persons were probably not so lucky, and Shiloh had to be one of them, Jane assured Yasmine. But she knew these were empty promises when they had no way of reconnecting to the surveillance system, or contacting the Neo Varangians on the ground.

Yasmine did her best to remain calm, but the power going out, the whole situation was unsure. There was no way to guarantee Shiloh was caught or dead, she honestly did not know anymore. A new trauma emerged as she had a sort of epiphany, her being bedridden, unable to do the things she love she had fallen into a slump of depression. "Jane?" she said as she cuddled with the woman who had been at times her punching back, both literally and metaphorically and sometimes sexually, "Have I gone insane?" she asked, "Truly, have I gone insane over these years? I thought it would be okay after the man who murdered my wife was dead, I thought I would be okay, but I'm not." She said earnestly, "I've become a monster, after Jessica grew colder over the years because of me, I've never felt the same. I, I think that poison was meant for me." Yasmine was a crumpled heap in Jane's arms, crying, no, sobbing, shaking, doing her best to hang on to the fragments of her old life.

The lights buzzed back on from the Legato Tower’s emergency private electric grid for the benefit and comfort of all the employs working in the offices there and all the guests, temporary or otherwise, curled up in their luxurious rooms. These revealed puffy and red eyes on even the strongest woman Yasmine knew, who gasped, “Huh? What?” when her boss finally spoke up.

“You’re pretty ruthless, Yas, but trust me, I’ve executed dictators who made prisoners kill and eat each other, child molesters who took pictures that still sear the back of my eyeballs, and much worse besides. You’re not a monster, much less insane,” Jane said after she dried her eyes and composed herself again.

"Were you.....crying?" Yasmine asked looking into Jane's eyes, her own clouded and puffy from her tears. "You were weren't you? Those tears weren't for me were they? How could they possibly be?" In that moment Yasmine showed the soft nurturing side of herself as she sat up and placed a hand on Jane's chin, and in that moment, if it had not been for the literal dozens of things weighing heavy in her mind, she would have probably kissed her, but instead she gazed into Jane's eyes and waited for her answer.

Back
Top Bottom