Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Chill Between Them (CasualVelociraptor x Alisa_Perne)

Yasmine chuckled, "You better promise me that." Yasmine said pulling Erika back into her arms for one last kiss, "Because a Legato never breaks a promise." She grinned, this sentence was two fold. One was to show that she really cared for Erika, even though Yasmine had this creeping feeling in the back of her mind that she had yet to atone for her sins, but also to show Erika that she was a part of this family and would always be.

"I promise, that I'll do my utmost to get the message to Shiloh and back," Erika smiled tentatively, tears in her eyes as she crossed her arms over her chest, pushed out a couple tears, and leaned into Yasmine's embrace and kiss. "Sorry, babe, I blame you knocking me up. I'm sure that's why I'm all emotional." In reality, in her mind she didn't necessarily want to leave the safety of the apartment...but also knew it was a potential target, so it was either go out on the streets while she still could instead of being a pregnant whale (as she saw it) going into her second trimester, or definitely be safe, for maybe a few more months, as a definitely heavily pregnant woman, and a sitting duck.

"You better, or ill find you." Yasmine said, smiling as she kissed Erika one last time, "You better." She said again, tears welling up in her eyes.

Once Erika left to retrieve Shiloh, Jane collapsed on the bed on her back with a sigh of, "Well, that takes care of all the last minute wedding planning. Helps when you have a private military company full of mercs who haven't gotten much work lately with a bunch of airships to pick up everything."

Then she purred at Yasmine, "Don't take this the wrong way, but this is also the first time we've been truly alone since you took Erika in...want to practice our first dance?"

Yasmine smiled, as she gazed at Jane. Her soulmate, the woman who had always been there, and never left regardless of the shit Yasmine had put her through. "One moment dear." She grabbed the remote that controlled her television and brought up a song and smiled as she pressed play. "This was the first song I danced to at my wedding, and I feel the same for you Jane." She held out her arms, waiting for Jane to step forward and embrace her so they could dance.

Yasmine smiled, tears in her eyes, as she took a step towards Jane, "Of course, my heart, of course." She still to this day could never tell you why she chose the word heart, instead of love, but it just felt right. "You are my everything after all."

"No." Yasmine said, giving a good ten second pause, just enough to get a look of shock from Jane's face before following up with an "I love you."

"Yeah, it's a boy."
"You are the biggest dork in the North Atlantic IceBurgh...then again, you were the biggest dork in the South when we were kids, too," Jane said, only mildly annoyed at Yasmine for her sarcasm. "Can I tell you something? I...I wanted Connor to be mine. And now I can never do that for you. Now I just hope we can get married tomorrow without incident, and I can pretend for just a second that I didn't waste half my life running away from you, when I should have run to you before she did." It was pretty clear who she was referring to without naming her, however. "And as much as I adore Erika and Shiloh, they basically feel like my kid sisters. Yeah, I'll diddle 'em, and I do love 'em, but it's...different with them. What you and I have- I know that's rawer. Realer. Older. More scarred over, perhaps, but is it weird of me to think that the scars of our past make us more beautiful?"

Meanwhile, in Aurora Bay...

"I should've known you'd find me here," Shiloh whispered, since she was standing on someone else's balcony, overlooking the tiny white seabirds the rich called sailing yachts puttered around the placid water. Neither sleet, nor rain, nor unprecedented snowstorm, nor the brink of climate change induced apocalypse would keep those who had the means from being above it all, it seemed to Shiloh. Even if every remaining city went underwater right now, the haves would continue having until they gave humanity's last party.

"You always said that one day you wanted to buy an apartment here, to live your days in peace," Erika said, the mechanical legs still whirring in protest from how hard she'd pushed them in order to keep up with Shiloh's more consistently honed skill and her freaking grapnel line! (No fair.) "I...I always imagined that I'd share that apartment with you. When I saw that you'd come to us and bonded with Yasmine, I was so overjoyed. It wasn't the place you wanted, but now you had a home again, with me, and them. And then you...you got so scared, and you took off in an awful hurry. What's wrong, Shiloh? Baby, please, I love you. Talk to me."

"Look around you, Erika!" Shiloh hissed, still under her breath. "This city is bleeding and dying. Every minute that I'm not out there trying to protect the innocent is time wasted."

"You can't save everybody by yourself. We need you here, Shiloh. I need you."

"What good would it do for me to wile away the hours being plowed by...by a criminal who somehow tricked me into falling in love with her!" Shiloh declared. "If I give up my freedom to be with her, am I any less subject to her will than the thousands of people who she trampled on in her quest for riches?"

"You don't...really believe all that, do you, Shi?" Erika asked, rubbing her shoulders as her dearest friend began to cry into her freckled hands.

"I don't know what to believe," Shiloh said. If she'd been more composed, she would have added, I HATED HER for six months for taking you away from me. For killing Michael. For blaming me for Connor with no proof. For planting Connor's little brother inside you, which, why, no...guh, that's disgusting! But none of that seemed relevant, and Shiloh was determined to continue working it out with Yasmine while they continued to pretend to be enemies in public, but not to bring Erika in the middle of it. "If she's a better person, then I've fallen from personhood by comparison. I've strayed so far from the light now. I don't deserve you, or her, or any of it."

"You are a human being, dammit! You deserve happiness and love! You deserve me..." Erika said. "But you better buy this exact apartment, because I want to let my little boy- yeah, it's a boy, I just got his embryonic fluid tested at the DNA level!- visit his other mother here. Visit...my wife."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying- oh, wow, this is harder than I thought!" Erika gulped. "Anyway, when we're not in fear for our lives, will you marry me?"

"YES!" Shiloh yelled, loudly enough to shake the glass in the windows, and maybe even cause a ripple on the water. The tired courier ended up accidentally rousing the grumpy old owners of these apartments, who called the IBRS on her with haste.

"Okay, I may not be as, well, vocal as you," Erika said as they started to vacate the scene, "But I'm just as happy as you, nonetheless. Let's get home, and then tell the old hens." Who, she figured, had the same deep, long-lasting trusting friendship that blossomed into a relationship. Erika was just glad that she'd been spurred to action by the fact that she'd believed Shiloh dead.

Last edited:
Yasmine smiled, "So beautiful." She leaned in and kissed Jane. "Just promise me something. This war, its only going to get more intense from here. I can just feel it, whoever the mastermind is pulling the strings, hes going to do terrible things to me, to us, in an attempt to get what he wants, which is absolute control, as long as I am alive he wont have that, but he will make every effort to kill me. Promise me one thing Jane, if I tell you to run, you will run. Me? I deserve what's coming to me, whatever it is, but you don't please do not give your life for mine, because I fear I may take my own life shortly afterwards knowing my love died for me. Life would not be worth living." She smiled as a tear ran down her cheek, that had been weighing on her heavily for quite some time and she finally had the courage to do it.

"Do not talk like that. Please." NOTE: I don't remember the name of the mall, and I will look it up later.
"Do not talk like that, Yas. Please," Jane said. "You've always been the strong one, the noble one...somewhere along the way, you lost that for a bit, but I stuck with you all these years, even when you showed you were capable of real cruelty, because I knew that deep down, a selfless woman was just lying in wait for the grief to subside, if only for just a moment...please, do not grieve me if I die protecting you, for I have always been your knight and knew that one day I might have to lay down my life for you. For it says in the Bible, John 15:13- Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. I long ago kicked the Bible to the curb, but you get the idea.

"It would be a far worse fate, indeed, for me to die apart from you. For I can no longer bear to put any distance between us, literal or otherwise, given how much you mean to so many people. I know Connor would be proud of how his mama has been a balm to so many hearts. And one day, your son who grows now as the seed of your abiding love for Erika will know how his mom became a hero. You know why? Because heroes inspire people to make a stand, and I, and the whole of the Neo Varangians (who are almost certainly being blacklisted by the government as we speak, meaning my men, women, and others are being hunted down by other PMCs) will fight on against Toussaint, or the Council member, or anyone who dares come after you, until our dying breath. So don't even think about trying to send me away again, do you fucking hear me?"

Seconds later, before Jane could hug her soon-to-be wife, a catastrophic explosion rocked the Legato Mall next to them, and as Jane turned to Yasmine, a piece of steel beam soared inches above Jane's head and embedded itself in the wall behind them, as the screams of 50,000 people who were evaporated by the heat, if not crushed by debris.

Meanwhile, Erika and Shiloh were hanging out at a park bench, finally eating shawarma that was made with actual fresh ingredients, but that had not been cooked according to the exact specifications of the rich and still discerning customers at five star restaurants that still had distinct ethnic identities and lived at the top of the tallest towers. Anytime this happened

And then they saw the explosion. From where they were, Legato Mall decidedly blocked most of the view of Legato Tower proper, so it looked like the penthouse where Jane and Yasmine were staying had gone up in smoke as well. And then Toussaint's mark formed out of tongues of fire as Deirdre's had, and now the whole world would know who was responsible.

Erika's eyes trembled in fear, both at the loss of the sire of her child, and worry about who Toussaint might be. There was only one person, in her mind, who could have such a deep grudge against Yasmine.

They said the same name from both their trembling hearts that had loved him (like a brother in Shiloh's case, with all her heart and body in Erika's) so deeply.

"Michael."

Last edited:
Yasmine walked to the hole that was made in the wall as casually as one walks down an aisle in a grocery store, she looked down at the carnage, the screams of the people below were gone, all that she could hear was fire scorching the wood and stone, the smell of burning flesh kissed the air. "Erika, Shiloh." She said calmly into her comm device. "Please come back home." She said, though her voice was calm, she was visibly trembling and tears were running down her face. She kept calm and held her composure but she was unsure how much longer she could do so. She turned to Jane, "War." She said, "War is upon us, at our doorstep at last. This Toussaint has to die first, he seems to be quite the destructive force and I am sure he did this, I'm going to ask you to do something Jane, and I need you to do this without hesitation. Bring me Toussaint, hack every camera, every eye, every implant in the city if you have to, find him, bring him to me, alive. I want to see the face of the man who has yet made another attempt on my life."

Back
Top Bottom