Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Lost in Space OOC

Ok. I have questions of the narrative variation.

Having woken up Joan figures that her youngest daughter has not yet returned from the Stevensen's so she makes a call to their Jupiter to inquire as to when she might expect her home. Now Joan is of course still at the Robinson's Jupiter when she makes the call but it makes the post relevant for @Amante as Allen who would be responding from the Stevensen's Jupiter his response of course being relevant for me as Joan. Now for the narrative question. For this simple call to take place I must tag @Amante in my post (in the thread for the Robinson's Jupiter) and he must then tag me in his response (in the thread for the Stevensen's Jupiter). This creates a scattered, inconsistent narrative. Of course I could also spit my post in two parts and post, the majority of Joan waking up in the thread for the Robinson's Jupiter and then post as Joan making the call in the main IC thread where Amante can then respond as Allen. This also creates a scattered inconsistent narrative.

I think I suggested keeping the majority of the narrative in the IC thread and use the subforum threads for more specifically private locations, such as the shag shacks for instance, or the bedrooms, as well as for Judy's clinic and Dr Smith's office. Narrative inconsistencies like this was the reason for that.

As it is I am unsure how, and more specifically, where to post Joan waking up in a simple and consistent way that would alert all those to whom the post would be relevant without forcing them to open one thread to read in and another to reply in. Or for that matter create a narrative chaos for those trying to keep up with the overall story.

Pardon me. I backtracked and noticed that I had suggested one thread for each Jupiter as well, which I suppose sounded like a good idea in theory, but it is not practical any way I look at it. I believe I must have meant threads for the bedrooms to keep the intimate moments out of the main IC thread and also allowing them to not adhere to the main ICs timeline.

Just wanted to drop by and mention I won’t be back to post until Monday. I’d like to play out the slumber party, but it seems like time isn’t going to permit it :/

Just wanted to drop by and mention I won’t be back to post until Monday. I’d like to play out the slumber party, but it seems like time isn’t going to permit it :/

The way I see it you could perhaps move it to a separate thread in the subforum, maybe even collect the already posted posts in a single post at the top and keep it going outside the confines of IC chronology.

I won't be able to do much until I am back at a keyboard. Sorry for the rough start today.

The main thread can still be used, and all are welcome to create their room thread as needed.

You should post to the place or topic your character is in/at. If it is a communication/call, your mentioning of the other half (@ or group) would be enough for them to find it, then reply in similar way, so at the place where they are.

But of course it could be a whole different way. I would just do it this way.

Pardon for being a bit of a headache but shouldn't we have some consensus regarding where to post what?
Ideally but I think many of us, especially me, are still learning.

I think it is clear that private scenes should be in private areas. Others require some judgement, flexibility and some practice.

You should post to the place or topic your character is in/at. If it is a communication/call, your mentioning of the other half (@ or group) would be enough for them to find it, then reply in similar way, so at the place where they are.

But of course it could be a whole different way. I would just do it this way.

And that is exactly the way to do it if we want to be running back and forth between threads without managing any sort of narrative consistency. Not to mention the absolute chaos it will be for those of us wanting to read more than our own parts of the story.

Another issue might be chronology and keeping a linear timeline in the main IC. If the players in one of the Jupiters for instance are more active then that might mean that the time in that particular Jupiter would move faster than in the other Jupiters which in the end could result in a situation where it would become impossible to use the main IC since none of our characters are in the same time frame.

Assume for instance that after talking to Penny, finding out she already knows and how she feels about it et cetera, Joan simply spends the rest of the day with her plans for additional housing (which narratively would be dead boring and inconsequential if I went into detail with it), Maureen maybe spends the day getting checked up by Judy or maybe talking with the other wives at the O'Donnell's. This could mean that the day in the Robinson's Jupiter could be over in a handful of posts while maybe the day at the O'Donnell's Jupiter could take much longer.

Now the solution might be simple in saying that the ones in the Robinson's Jupiter have to wait, absolutely, great idea but how then would the players in the Robinson's know what goes on at the O'Donnell's Jupiter if they don't open that thread separately and read it even if it doesn't actually relate to any of their characters.

Am I overthinking it? Perhaps but I'd rather overthink it than end up in a narrative chaos.

Ideally but I think many of us, especially me, are still learning.

I think it is clear that private scenes should be in private areas. Others require some judgement, flexibility and some practice.

I have never worked with subforums myself so I probably have a lot of learning to do as well but I am looking forward to learning with you all because I can see how it would be quite useful in certain situations, such as for instance @Amante 's desire to conclude the slumber party scene, (in a separate thread it doesn't have to be restricted by the timeline of the main IC and of course for all of the smutty stuff that will be going on in the bedrooms and once they are constructed, in the shag shacks.

What I am afraid might happen is that eventually everything will happen in subforums and the main IC simply dies out.

Am I overthinking it? Perhaps but I'd rather overthink it than end up in a narrative chaos.

I have never worked with subforums myself so I probably have a lot of learning to do as well but I am looking forward to learning with you all because I can see how it would be quite useful in certain situations, such as for instance @Amante 's desire to conclude the slumber party scene, (in a separate thread it doesn't have to be restricted by the timeline of the main IC and of course for all of the smutty stuff that will be going on in the bedrooms and once they are constructed, in the shag shacks.

What I am afraid might happen is that eventually everything will happen in subforums and the main IC simply dies out.
I think part of the problem is that I was attempting to put some of my characters on autopilot so I didn't lock you out of play if you wanted to do so. That didn't work well.

I think we move any continuing or new 'behind closed doors' to whomever's room or area it is. I think that will help de-clutter the main thread and avoid all the spoilers.

You can 'watch' any thread you choose and you will get notices of new material (provided you aren't currently 'parked' in it). Would this alleviate your concern about missing content not directly involving one of your characters? Seeing as we have had a pretty successful week of RP with just the main thread, I think we can try to keep our focus there. My only challenge with the first phase was all the overlapping spoilers got tough to follow. I think your last IC Post, could have gone either way, main thread or Jupiter specific with a @ for anyone being remotely contacted.

I notice no one has created a 'room' thread, is that by choice or too uncertain, or not allowed?

I modified Megan's post to eliminate some of the future tense stuff that was intended to allow folks to play through, she will be there for it now. I left her in the O'Donnell Jupiter as that is where she is and I don't really see us having 3 family talks all going on in the same main IC thread. I wrote Penny's transition from Jupiter to Jupiter in the Main IC as it straddled two locations and set the stage for where she is playing next.

My thought is we are going to be writing about 'the talk' within the families. Given Amante's absence, I'm thinking we are in this stage through probably the end of Tuesday GMT to give everyone time to write with their partners. I suggest we try to reach some consensus on how to use sub-forums during this stage.

The only part I feel strongly about is having a thread for each character's private room and moving most of the detailed and drawn out sex scenes. Please let me know if you want me to create these threads. I encourage each of you to create your own and consider making the first post 'sticky' meaning it shows up on top. That way you can describe any details about your room if you want or even a picture or something to individualize it. I'm happy to do it if you prefer and I will make links to each room on the character thread as they come online.

all the overlapping spoilers got tough to follow

Yes they did and that is why subforum threads for such occasions is a good Idea. For all other posts, with the exceptions of that which take place in Judy's and/or Dr Smith's clinic/office, I think they should go in the Main IC for a less jumpy read.

Is anyone familiar with the novel Hopscotch by Argentinian author Julio Cortázar . It is a rather curious book that I've heard people call one of the most annoying books they've read or tried to read because of how it is structured. It can be read in two ways. You can either read chapters 1-56 as a linear narrative and then skip the last 99 chapters which are designated as expendable, or you can follow the instructions at the end of each chapter and jump back and forth between all 155 chapters, getting a fuller version of the story with character developments happening outside the main story.

Either way. The way you read the full version of Hopscotch is what I feel the subforums would be like if we use them for everything that takes place at a specific location. Of course you can watch all the threads and get notifications from all of them but you still have to jump between threads to get the full spectrum of the storyline.

I am willing to try it the way you are suggesting but I am fairly certain it will create narrative and chronological anomalies between characters.

Robots

After some discussion with @ChrisGabriel we settled on human made robot(s) similar to those being developed by Boston Dynamics. My thought is that each Jupiter would have a robot if the family wanted one. I suggest two varieties and their performance is shown in this cute video.

Biped
Spot

To fit into the story line as it is, I suggest that the families weren't trained on their usage but would be once they arrived at the colony, thus Dr. Smith's work to figure one out. Their intended use was to be labor for construction and farming to supplement the relatively few human laborers (like Tag) accepted for their specific skills.

Obviously there might be some unintended uses, but they WILL NOT be used in a non-consensual way on any characters without the 'victim' writer's consent.

And I suggests them being a couple of generations better, as in more like a six yers old instead an one year old in autonomity, but still controllable from a console or control unit - or even just by commands given by voice or body language. Also, just look up the sensory packages for them and how they basically have a computer in them that has so many other uses... and possiblities.
Also, obviously the humanoid can have more humanoid hands, maybe even more than just a pair (two pairs would be a suggested option, at least for the Robinson's what dr. Smith is fiddling with will have two pair of hands...)

And I do consent if someone want to fiddle with the robot and through it dr. Smith. :)

I posted a thread for Judy's clinic. Remember, of you just want a normal physical, we do not have to RP it, we will assume you had one. The thread is a good place to start a dialogue with Judy if you have any questions about the program, want to air out grievances with her, or you simply want to get to know her better and have her get to know your character for future RP scenes. It also can serve as a location to move a scene to if someone gets injured in another thread.

Finally, at least one person wanted the physical to have a sex scene. Anyone else that wants that should PM me prior, and I'll probably start a separate thread for that, since the sex scenes could easily clog up the thread. If there is any other type of scene you want in the thread than the ones listed above, PM me beforehand and I should be agreeable. If you just want to start one of the scenes mentioned above, go ahead post in the thread without PMing me first, though you can PM me if you want. .

We have had a lot of discussion about thread structure and other details. But I'd like to get back to focus on the story itself.

I'd like our next scenes to focus on discussion of the population problem, there seems to have already been a somewhat acceptance attitude among the adults. So conversations between parents and underaged youth but also some general discussion about the future and slice of life type things that are of interest to all of you. This can include checkups with Judy and any counseling people want with Dr. Smith. I think our goal should be to be ready to introduce the Rules and maybe Pairings this coming weekend in real time.

As far as threads go, please put sex scenes in private rooms, you are each allowed one (room you can have as many sex scenes as you want), the doctors can have a second for their clinic/office.

Main IC thread vs Jupiters, use your judgement and what you comfortable with. We will settle on a more 'defined' approach next week once we have had a chance to try things out. Let's not have worry about where to post keep us from writing. Just make sure to tag people if you are expecting them to respond.

Jodi's Character

I did hear from Letrixia this weekend, she hadn't lost interest but between her real life and the pace of the story she thought she needed to 'back down'. I asked for a bit of a clarification but haven't heard back. I'm thinking she is probably done. I'd be willing to keep her on even if she just did the breeding parts but she hasn't responded back.

It might be hard to pull in a new player at this point but I'm not opposed to trying. I see our options as stay the course and phase Jodi out (or allow the occasional post), one of us picks up her character, or we try to get a new girl. Any preferences?

A new female character could be introduced with a well composed introductory summary of her experiences through what we've already played. Or we could get someone to simply take over the role with a few tweaks of their own preferences of course.

Hey everyone, sorry I've not been posting. I got hit with some some RL stuff that took the wind out of my sails a bit. I'm hoping to get caught up tomorrow.

No worries, looking forward to it. I was afraid the new format scared everyone off but I think we are starting to ease back into it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I am inviting @small package to join us with a young female character (not taking over the Jodi character).

We are brainstorming ideas for how to tie her into our current story. A couple of thoughts but open to other ideas.

• Her family's jupiter crash landed and she is the only survivor, she was able to follow a homing signal or something to find the rest of us.
  • She wasn't able to make it to her family's jupiter but did make it into a semi-automated escape pod that brings her to the group.
  • We pretend she has been with us all along and just have her start.
  • I cold also see her being a O'Donnell daughter, and we just ignore the fact that she has been absent up to now.
  • Other ideas...

Back
Top Bottom