Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Mornië utúlië (1x1 w/ Jikkah)

“Go!” He snapped, voice trembling like he was forcing it to be angry. “Go away from me!”

She flinched and stumbled back a bit before trying again, "I-I won't...! I want you to come home! You're dear to me, Yuki, please, I can't lose you too! My heart wouldn't take it!" She swallowed her tears and gripped her dress, "I love you..." She whimpered out.

She heard nothing, not even the sound of rustling leaves. “Go away.” Was the only response to her confession, nothing more. He didn’t even show himself.

Fucking leave me alone!!” He snarled, and a small sputter of fire illuminated the night, but not an attack on Akihime; Yukimura must’ve been losing his temper at this point.

It had been months since Megohime had left, and he hadn’t heard anything from her, not that he much expected to, but still, it hurt.
Kojurou forced him to go outside of his estate every now and again though, which he begrudgingly agreed and went into the local city to peruse goods spend time out in the fresh air.
The city buzz seemed to be more lively than it usually was when he went into town, perhaps a festival?
“Did you hear? They got a witch!”
“Blood Witch they said!”
“They’ll be burning her today at noon!”

Masamune felt his heart jump into his throat and he looked to Kojurou with one wide terrified eye.
"Kojurou..."
"Hai...I heard. I hope it isn't Megohime-dono as well..."

There was no way it was Megohime, Blood witches were hardly ever seen let alone caught, and Megohime was smarter than to let herself be captured. He still couldn’t steady his pounding heart, and when the twelfth bell chimed, from the town square, a mixture of cheers and booing could be heard; they had brought the witch to be executed on public display.

It was hard to get a good spot to see, as the center was rather full of people, but Masamune and Kojurou managed to squeeze their way into the middle of the crowd, just close enough to see the person who was being tied to the stake on top of a wooden platform. It indeed was a woman, long black tangled hair covered in rotten fruit and vegetables as she was pelted with them, even a few rocks. She was silent, and didn’t struggle, and kept her head down for the most part until a larger rock caught her in the forehead and jerked her head to the side.
Masamune’s heart nearly stopped right there.
Megohime stared blankly at the crowd in front of her, slowly picking her head up as blood trickled down her bruised and battered face. Her eye was swollen, nose bleeding and lip split, but the worst was the cross that had been branded directly into her forehead. She looked tired, and both of her eyes were puffy from one could only assume tears, but she wasn’t crying now.

"Megohime!!" He shouted over the crowd and moved to push his way to her but Kojurou stopped him.
"If you help her, you will join her. Do not ask me to watch such a horror, Masamune-sama." He said, looking heartbroken.

Megohime could just barely hear her name be called over the shouting, turning to look. Her heart ached as much as her battered body, fresh tears pushing forward from her eyes. “Why..?” She croaked softly. “Why are you here..?” She looked absolutely heartbroken, sinking forward slightly against the rope, trying to fight the sobs that fought even harder to come out. The executioner reached the bottom of the platform, taking the lit torch from another hooded figure before turning and moving toward the large pile of kindling and wood beneath Megohime.

"No...no, don't! Kojurou!" Masamune looked to his familiar pleadingly and Kojurou could only look away.
"I will not expose you and have you lost as well. Please forgive me, this ultimate sin is mine alone to bear."

The cheering crowd around him punched a hole in Masamune’s chest, the fire was lit and the crackle of wood told him it was starting to spread.
The heat was intense almost immediately, Megohime turning her head away to try and shield her face from the heat, but it was slowly starting to envelope her. She couldn’t be strong anymore, she broke down crying, shaking her head and apologizing to Masamune as her dress caught fire and her feet began to burn.

He couldn’t tell if his words got to her or not, her screams of agony being drowned out by cheering. The smell in the air was horrible, burnt flesh and hair, and as the flames swallowed Megohime, Masamune could’ve sworn he saw another figure in the fire grinning back at him, Megohime’s screams no longer audible.

He covered his mouth to keep the vomit down before rushing passed Kojurou to find somewhere to empty his stomach. Kojurou frowned and placed his hand gently on his lord's shoulder.
"Ikuzo, Masamune-sama...."

The sound of a roaring blaze could still be heard from the town square, the horrible burning smell still sticking with Masamune. She was gone, the woman he loved, gone forever.

His tears fell no matter how much he tried fighting them. He punched the ground hard over and over until Kojurou finally pulled him to his feet and guided him home.

It wasn’t fair, Megohime didn’t deserve to die, not in the way that she did. Masamune would be plagued with nightmares of her death for weeks, her screams echoing in his head even after he had woken.

It got to the point where he refused to sleep, his servants and Kojurou all worried for him and his health.
"Masamune-sama," Kojurou said gently, "Killing yourself won't make things better..."
"I can't..." Masamune paused, fighting the throbbing ache in his chest, "I can't sleep without reliving her death...eating only sickens me...I don't know what to do..."

He should’ve given her the ring, tried harder to get her to stay. If he hadn’t let her walk out the door, she wouldn’t have been killed.
Distant thunder broke the conversation, which was odd, since the skies had been clear all day, and remained so up until dinner time. However, when the servants peeled out the windows, dark storm clouds were clearly there. Well, only over the entire estate and surrounding forest.
“Katakura-sama..!” One of the servants gasped.
Thunder boomed again, lighting lighting up the night sky; what sort of phenomenon was this? Was it magic? There was no way such a storm cloud snuck up on them, and in the time and placement that it was happening.

Kojurou moved to the window and glanced out to see if he could see what was causing the storm. If it was rival of Masamune's, they picked the best-worst time to attack.

Back
Top Bottom