Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Onyx Landing (Wild west fantasy setting)

Xanaphia

Union Smut Peddler
9DCBOo4.png

OOC Thread | Character Thread | Game Thread

Onyx Landing is a place of outcasts. Those who don't fit in polite society. They sought freedom, or riches, or to escape the ever-encroaching specter of their pasts. On the edge of civilization, just outside of the reach of the US or Mexico, the people of Onyx landing are without loyalties or allegiance. Some may see that as standoffish and aloof, but the folks of Onyx Landing see themselves as fiercely independent.

But that sort of lonely existence won't last in the long run. Without someone to watch your back, you'll end up face down in a ditch, with a bullet int he back fo the head and robbed of all your earthly riches. The gangs have already figured it out. Bout time the travelers in the region figure it out for themselves.

Meanwhile, out at the mine in Dead Reach Mountain, they dug up something up. Something ancient, and unspeakable. Something that can no longer be confined within the mountain. Closing up the mines won't keep this presence at bay.

Anyhow, this is just an interest check for something in this sort of setting, and I am particularly open to suggestions and collaboration. Looking for 4-6 players interesting in contributing and progressing the story, and not just leaving it up to me.

Period: Around 1870
Location: Somewhere in the Nevada/Utah/Arizona Area. Near a large mountain with a recently closed mining operation.
Magic: Yes, but underpowered and rare to start off with.
Steam Technology: Yes, but primitive and limited.
Supernatural: Yep! I am thinking things like zombies, werewolves, vampires are all possible. The first thing I want the characters to confront and deal with in the game is this entity that's been awakened in the cursed mine. That said, typical wild west fare, like bounties, outlaw gangs, train robberies and so on, are also on the table.

Current Players: 7/8
Have posted to the game thread at least once, and have been active in the last week. This includes being active in the OOC thread.

Xanaphia
Victoria Freeman- Brothel Owner, part time prostitute.
Xia Song- Prostitute and Gambler

TheCorsair
Cassandra Turner- Muscle for the Dusky Belle
Tom Cavendish- Cowboy. Hopeful prospector

Shiva the Cat
Jules Barrow- Newspaper Editor/Press Operator/Typesetter
Jess Barrow- Newspaper Reporter/Editor

Kilted Pervert
Jeb Morsey- Gunsmith/Soldier/Trapper

Praxis
Missy Huntington- Claims Hunter / Railroad Heiress
Clint- Huntington Family Associate

WaveVelour
Grace Ravigne- Emptying men’s pockets

HannibalBarca

Elias Horne- Rancher, occult expert and researcher, adventurer, and man of leisure

Last edited:
I wouldnt mind a darkest dungeon but in the old west setting.

Could we be some of the supernatural creatures?
Well, the intention was for people to start off human, and be transformed by proximity to the mountain. But I am willing to hear your character pitch, and help you fit it in the world we have going.

A few concepts.

A preacher, though probably one who seen too much as uses vice to get over it.

An honest farmer who ended up with the werewolf curse and seeks a cure.

A brothel madame protecting her girls from from monsters, figuratively and literally.

A doctor, and a vampire, using his patients extracted blood to deal with the cravings.

A native who hunts monsters, perhaps following the skinwalker or wendigo legend. Become a monster to ear monsters.

Etc

A brothel madame protecting her girls from from monsters, figuratively and literally.

A native who hunts monsters, perhaps following the skinwalker or wendigo legend. Become a monster to ear monsters.
The first one likely wouldn't work as I am currently playing the brothel madame. The second is similar to one of @xavierrol 's characters, so you would have to ask him if he is okay with you playing it. You could always coordinate in making them allied, or in making them rivals.

A preacher, though probably one who seen too much as uses vice to get over it.

An honest farmer who ended up with the werewolf curse and seeks a cure.

A doctor, and a vampire, using his patients extracted blood to deal with the cravings.
Any of these three would work wonderfully. My main suggestion would be for the supernatural elements of the character to begin coming through as the rp begins, not something that was already in place.

I guess itll come down to whatever the group dynamic is then. Thank you kindly.

As I am refreshing my memory, the story was largely built about some evil associated with the mountain, dug up in the mine. It is not up to me but I was largely thinking that evil in the mountain would be to supernatural focus rather than lycanthropy and vampires. I think it was a strong story idea and I'd stay kind of true to it if we can get the players.

As I am refreshing my memory, the story was largely built about some evil associated with the mountain, dug up in the mine. It is not up to me but I was largely thinking that evil in the mountain would be to supernatural focus rather than lycanthropy and vampires. I think it was a strong story idea and I'd stay kind of true to it if we can get the players.
Im basically treating it as Darkest Dungeon but a western mod.

I don't know much about darkest dungeon, but my brief research describes it as a gothic horror game with an emphasis on psychological stresses and trauma. That is close to the mood I want to strike here. One particular elements I wanted to include was how the being in the mountain is influencing and corrupting the people in the town surrounding it. If Dr. Pox wants it to have his caharacter transform into a werewolf or vampire, I don't see a problem with it, nor a conflict with the overarching plot. As a matter of fact, it's inspired me towards some changes my character can go through as the plot progresses.

I trust each player to decide for themselves how their character(s) are affected by the presence.

Still hoping to snare one more player, preferably a female character for balance. I intend to keep going with the thread we already started, and will get a post on it some time this weekend.

It'll take me a few days to get my character ready. Sorry Im not being a female. After being responsible for a D&D discord, I have to play females more often then not.

Still hoping to snare one more player, preferably a female character for balance. I intend to keep going with the thread we already started, and will get a post on it some time this weekend.
Is it too late for me to create a female character? I’m thinking of creating a tomboyish woman, perhaps an emigre from China looking for opportunity where other societies in the area deny her such.

I was thinking someone like this or this could work. I won’t go further into character details unless I know I’m not trampling on anyone.

Is it too late for me to create a female character? I’m thinking of creating a tomboyish woman, perhaps an emigre from China looking for opportunity where other societies in the area deny her such.

I was thinking someone like this or this could work. I won’t go further into character details unless I know I’m not trampling on anyone.
one of my characters is a Chinese immigrant as well, but there is plenty of room for two, especially since it sounds like she will be different in temperament and personality. Maybe we can even make them related, if you want.

I don’t know if they should be related, but they would be natural allies. And she’s very open to any sort of relationship as well with anyone she clicks with.

Okay, so I wrote a reply that clears out the non-players, and gives an opening for our new players to join. Also, still accepting new players, because the more the merrier.

And I added a reply that, among other things, sets one of my characters up to be attacked by something. Angry miners most likely, but it’s an easy hook for new or returning players wjo want to jump into the action.

I have a question if I may. Would you accept a character that is relatively new in the town but he carries no particular job. Coming from money he spends time drinking and gambling. For what reason he there is a mystery since he has the wealth to be anywhere he wanted but he chooses this particular town and has lived off room service. Educated but yet is quite quick on the draw.

I have a question if I may. Would you accept a character that is relatively new in the town but he carries no particular job. Coming from money he spends time drinking and gambling. For what reason he there is a mystery since he has the wealth to be anywhere he wanted but he chooses this particular town and has lived off room service. Educated but yet is quite quick on the draw.

I don’t want to put words in Xana’s mouth, but I doubt a wealthy gentleman of no fixed employment would be a problem. I mean, I’m playing two different poor characters who lack regular employment.

Its a busy week and getting my sheet together has been a bit difficult.
I’ve also been having a hard time finding the time to make up the sheet for my character.
No problem, and no rush on getting your character up. Just wanted to touch base and see if people were still interested.

That concept could definitely work in this game. Feel free to make up a character sheet.

Mines finished.
You character looks great! Feel free to post to the game thread whenever you get a chance. I might make one short post to progress to the next day, if you want to wait for that.

I’ll give my brain another week to come up with one. If it doesn’t happen by then it probably won’t ever.
No rush to get it done. I have another player looking to join, but they will not be available to post until next weekend.

The aforementioned slowpoke would be me, just wanted to stake a claim on the newspaper before I take off for a week 😅 Carry on without me, I’ll introduce my girls when I get back!

Back
Top Bottom