Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Onyx Landing (Wild west fantasy setting)

Xanaphia

Union Smut Peddler
9DCBOo4.png

OOC Thread | Character Thread | Game Thread

Onyx Landing is a place of outcasts. Those who don't fit in polite society. They sought freedom, or riches, or to escape the ever-encroaching specter of their pasts. On the edge of civilization, just outside of the reach of the US or Mexico, the people of Onyx landing are without loyalties or allegiance. Some may see that as standoffish and aloof, but the folks of Onyx Landing see themselves as fiercely independent.

But that sort of lonely existence won't last in the long run. Without someone to watch your back, you'll end up face down in a ditch, with a bullet int he back fo the head and robbed of all your earthly riches. The gangs have already figured it out. Bout time the travelers in the region figure it out for themselves.

Meanwhile, out at the mine in Dead Reach Mountain, they dug up something up. Something ancient, and unspeakable. Something that can no longer be confined within the mountain. Closing up the mines won't keep this presence at bay.

Anyhow, this is just an interest check for something in this sort of setting, and I am particularly open to suggestions and collaboration. Looking for 4-6 players interesting in contributing and progressing the story, and not just leaving it up to me.

Period: Around 1870
Location: Somewhere in the Nevada/Utah/Arizona Area. Near a large mountain with a recently closed mining operation.
Magic: Yes, but underpowered and rare to start off with.
Steam Technology: Yes, but primitive and limited.
Supernatural: Yep! I am thinking things like zombies, werewolves, vampires are all possible. The first thing I want the characters to confront and deal with in the game is this entity that's been awakened in the cursed mine. That said, typical wild west fare, like bounties, outlaw gangs, train robberies and so on, are also on the table.

Current Players: 7/8
Have posted to the game thread at least once, and have been active in the last week. This includes being active in the OOC thread.

Xanaphia
Victoria Freeman- Brothel Owner, part time prostitute.
Xia Song- Prostitute and Gambler

TheCorsair
Cassandra Turner- Muscle for the Dusky Belle
Tom Cavendish- Cowboy. Hopeful prospector

Shiva the Cat
Jules Barrow- Newspaper Editor/Press Operator/Typesetter
Jess Barrow- Newspaper Reporter/Editor

Kilted Pervert
Jeb Morsey- Gunsmith/Soldier/Trapper

Praxis
Missy Huntington- Claims Hunter / Railroad Heiress
Clint- Huntington Family Associate

WaveVelour
Grace Ravigne- Emptying men’s pockets

HannibalBarca

Elias Horne- Rancher, occult expert and researcher, adventurer, and man of leisure

Last edited:
Maybe if I post a character or two I will garner more interest?

76f9d8761fedeeb52b66349899c78557.jpg

Name: Victoria "The Shadow" Freeman
Bio: Born into slavery in Louisianna, Victoria hardly knew her family, shuffled from one plantation to the next several times before she hit puberty. Catching the eye of her last master had proven unfortunate for her, but the stability of being a house slave gave her the opportunity to learn to read and write in secret. She served as a spy for the Union army during the civil war, earning her some vicious enemies in the postbellum south. So she set off into the west, investing her service pension into a saloon/ bordello in the unclaimed territories. Her wealth has earned her a measaure of power in Onyx Landing, power she isn't afraid to reinforce with a six shooter, if threatened.

I'll mark my interest down. Maybe a prospector for the mine who was suddenly shut out of the operation with no explanation and is seeking answers? Regular gunslinger chap, maybe also a veteran of the American civil war or even a deserter or escapee of the French war in Mexico during the 1860s.

I'll mark my interest down. Maybe a prospector for the mine who was suddenly shut out of the operation with no explanation and is seeking answers? Regular gunslinger chap, maybe also a veteran of the American civil war or even a deserter or escapee of the French war in Mexico during the 1860s.
Sounds great! Here is to hoping I can lure entice a couple more players.

Aha, this sounds very interesting. Perhaps a lady doctor, excluded from the formal parts of her profession for being “too knowledgable than a woman should.” As a soft-looking lass with an iron will, steady hands, and a frightnening proficiency with her saws and scalpels.

Aha, this sounds very interesting. Perhaps a lady doctor, excluded from the formal parts of her profession for being “too knowledgable than a woman should.” As a soft-looking lass with an iron will, steady hands, and a frightnening proficiency with her saws and scalpels.
Sounds great! I am sure we will have need of her skills.

Well. It seems I am now being tempted. :)

It’s powerfully tempting to play Cassandra Turner, a bounty hunter and gunslinger and prospector and drifter and (in one timeline) future mother of the Lone Ranger. But that’s partly because I have a small obsession with at least loosely tying all my various RPs together into a sort of meta-narrative. In the same vein I could play Tom Cavendish, an actual cowboy and (in the same timeline) the Lone Ranger’s father.

On the other hand, there’s George Albert Young. He’s a card sharp with a degree in medicine from Penn’s Medical School, who lost his medical license and had to flee west thanks to General Grant’s displeasure with certain experiments on the battlefields of the Civil War in reanimating the dead. He dabbled in science and the occult, and sometimes plays solitary poker with a deck of tarot cards. Right now, he’s the resident barber, dentist, and doctor of Onyx Landing.

Well. It seems I am now being tempted. :)

It’s powerfully tempting to play Cassandra Turner, a bounty hunter and gunslinger and prospector and drifter and (in one timeline) future mother of the Lone Ranger. But that’s partly because I have a small obsession with at least loosely tying all my various RPs together into a sort of meta-narrative. In the same vein I could play Tom Cavendish, an actual cowboy and (in the same timeline) the Lone Ranger’s father.

On the other hand, there’s George Albert Young. He’s a card sharp with a degree in medicine from Penn’s Medical School, who lost his medical license and had to flee west thanks to General Grant’s displeasure with certain experiments on the battlefields of the Civil War in reanimating the dead. He dabbled in science and the occult, and sometimes plays solitary poker with a deck of tarot cards. Right now, he’s the resident barber, dentist, and doctor of Onyx Landing.
Sure, any (or all of them) sound great. I am a big fan of playing multiple characters, and would love it if players played multiple characters too. Not necessary, by any means, but I think it will fill out and build upon on the world.

Okay, I will create a character thread, and maybe an ooc thread. Still hoping to get one or two more players, but we can definitely get started with what we have here.

Eech, I always get mixed up and turned around playing multiples. Something to do with the compartmentalisation of information, characterisations, etcetera.

Eech, I always get mixed up and turned around playing multiples. Something to do with the compartmentalisation of information, characterisations, etcetera.
No obligations, of course. I like playing a bunch of characters in my stories, so I just want to extend the invitation to anyone who might want that.

I haven't done much in an Old West or Steampunk setting before but seems like an opportunity to expand my horizons. I am thinking of playing an engineer with the mines, proficient in the sciences such as they are at the time. Probably a bit of a babe in the woods for the town except that when he came back from the mine he had been touched by something dark which turned his rather docile nature a bit more predatory.

I haven't done much in an Old West or Steampunk setting before but seems like an opportunity to expand my horizons. I am thinking of playing an engineer with the mines, proficient in the sciences such as they are at the time. Probably a bit of a babe in the woods for the town except that when he came back from the mine he had been touched by something dark which turned his rather docile nature a bit more predatory.

Sounds pretty cool!

Got room for one more player. I will probably put up a couple more prostitutes in the characters section, just to fill out the cast.

Still open for one or two more players! Feel free to join in at any time.

Yes. We’re on hiatus until after the holidays, so you’ve got time to get a character submitted.

Would love to get this started up again. Looking for 3-4 more players. One character or multiple are welcome!

I would be very interested in participating. What other character type might you be looking for?

I would be very interested in participating. What other character type might you be looking for?
Anything that might fit. Cowboys/girls, outlaws, Indians, miners, prostitutes. You can check out the characters thread to see what we already have. I know our docotr left, so we can use one of those.

I’m still wanting in, when things are a go again.

Back
Top Bottom