Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Ascension to the Heavens|Descent into Hell(Corsair and Xana)

Verrier stretched like a great cat - albeit a great bat-winged cat armored in obsidian and crimson scales - then shifted his bulk to make room for Clara beneath his wing. If she chose to sleep as a human, or to sleep at all, then so be it. "As you wish," he rumbled, curving his neck to watch her with one slitted eye. Then he angled his wing, offering her more room and shelter as the rain hammered down. Lightning flashed and thunder booked, an effect of the primordial chaos of their nature's warring with the ordered magics that kept the island aloft.

"A thousand years ago," he murmured, "Verdan Forest-Lord brought destruction upon himself. The qlippoth had turn through the barriers of existence and threatened the integrity of all. The 'Kettlepot Plague' as the humans of my domain name it now, a plague where the dead walked. But it was so much more. The qlippoth would have consumed all. It is the reason why, after eons of war, Afodisia chose to ally with me. Only Order and Chaos combined could defeat them."

He twisted his head a little, staring out into the storm. "Verdan did not agree. He bore a grudge, I believe, and sought to destroy me.". The great head nodded at an outcropping of white stone. "There, in what was once his pleasure palace. A great hunting lodge, where he bound me with shackles of adamant and flame. It might have been the end of me then, if he had not been a fool.". He chuckled as he said it. "I am the least of the Primordial Dragons, Clara - a shadow of the might of my father Uragan, or my mother Sotryaseniye, or of Yavost'cherev, or any of the others. But they are bound, slaves of the gods now, while I still roam free. Verdan should have wondered why, and planned better. And he should not have gloated, while I still lived."

Verrier smiled, displaying teeth like greatswords. "Only he could command the chains, and they changed as I did to bind me in any form I assumed. But he never imagined I would take his firm, that I would speak with his voice. And he died with a look of shock on his face. But not because I slew him.". He glanced at Clara. "No. It was because Afodisia arrived as we fought. He called to her for aid, and she named him fool and traitor and drove her golden spear through his gut."

Mykel woke to the pleasant golden light of morning sunlight diffused by curtains, and the delightful warmth of supple bodies nestled against him. He'd have been content to remain there, or maybe to wake the two priestesses up and enjoy the morning, except that his throat was dry and his mouth tasted like he'd eaten carrion and he needed to relieve himself. And so, carefully, he extracted himself from between Melinda and Cassandra and quickly determined he'd need to go elsewhere to attend to any of his needs. So he pulled his trousers and shirt on, and softly opened the door.

There was a demon there, an uncanny thing like a three day dead porcupine. Mykel's let out a cry of surprise and went for his sword by reflex. The porcupine thing barked in shock, raising taloned hands. "Peace!" it croaked. "This is the house of the Lord Furtan!"

Sheepishly, Mykel let his sword slide back into its scabbard. "I... my apologies," he managed. "I..."

"You are unaccustomed to demon's, as a regular sight?". Croaking laughter sounded. "I suppose not. Come, I will show you where you may clean yourself."

Clara really was quite tired. All the transforming and flying, and fucking could wear a woman out. Even a paladin, and avatar of Afodisia. If she weren’t sleepy after all that, she’d be inhuman. And so, she was asleep before Verrier finished his tale.

Even in her dreams, rains lashed the tiny floating island. Chaos warring against Order, reflecting the conflict of dragon against god. She landed between them, and there was a brief respite.

Once, she was the peacemaker of her siblings. When love had been her domain, it had all been so much simpler.

“He is the last dragon. Once he is gone, nothing will stand in the way of order.” Verdan called, “Together, sister, we can defeat him.”

Ever since taking dominion over war, peace felt so distant, slipping through her fingers. “You would start the Dragonfall war anew?”

“I would end it! Vengeance for your husband and my wife and the scores of angels who have fallen.”

Her spear materialized in her hand and tears wet her eyes. The war had taken too many already. There was but one choice. “You are a fool, Verdan, and a traitor to peace. There is no order without chaos. If you reignite this war, none will be left alive.” Before Verdan could turn to flee, before he could escape to fight this war another day, she charged, driving her spear through him.

Verdan blinked but once before the spear thrust into his gut. “Sister?” He fell to his knees as she pulled her weapon free, and called to her again as she turned. Skin shifted into scales and she took to the skies. Just because it was the right choice didn’t mean it was easy.

Lily groaned as the soft body she had snuggled up against shifted. Her eyes were sealed shut, hoping she could still fall back asleep, for just a little while longer. Plans that were dashed as lips pressed against hers, gentle yet beseeching entrance. Still half asleep, Lily didn’t fight it, opening her mouth to a familiar tongue, and pulling that soft body back down against hers. Without conscious intention, Lily found herself exploring her bedmate, fingers whispering over flesh and curves. Her lover’s hands were just as curious, skimming her firm arms and tight stomach, until finally resting on Lily’s breasts. Finally, the kiss broke and Lily opened her eyes, staring up at Zamira, who was just as ravishing this morning as she had been last night.

“Good morning to you too,” Zamira teased, straddling the paladin. Breasts pressed into breasts as she held Lily’s hands over her head and kissed her again. Fuck, were they going to have sex again? Lily was certain she was far too sore to have any more sex.

Except, she wasn’t. Wasn’t sore at all, and that lack of soreness became a curious thing. She’d attended a Celebration before when she had first ascended to the rank of Paladin and had decidedly partaken of as much pleasure as she could handle. Still, she had overestimated and was hardly able to walk right the next day, carrying that tenderness for nearly a week. And what she had done last night far exceeded what she had done during the Celebration.

Suddenly there were more questions. When had she gotten clean? When had she gotten into bed with Zamira? The last thing she remembered, Zamira was bent over a chair, passed out while another demon took her. Everything had gone dark for her as well, hardly able to keep her eyes open as the next demon rolled her over to use her.

Zamira moved in for another kiss, but Lily turned her head, trying desperately not to let her lust for Zamira get in the way of her better sense. “What’s wrong?” Zamira asked, confusion in her tone and eyes.

Lily shook her head, “What happened last night?”

“What do you mean?” Zamira sat up over her now, that luscious dusky body on full display. Making the already difficult task of resisting the sultry priestess even more difficult. “You don’t remember?”

“I…” Lily started, eyes caught on the gentle sway of Zamira’s breast, moving with her breaths. Clearing her throat, she tried again, “I remember being with you, and demons. Many, many demons.” How many had it been? Lily wasn’t sure she could count the once that had been inside her while she was awake, and watching them with Zamira, she doubted they stopped just because she passed out. Not knowing was disturbing, but still arousing, remembering the pleasure of getting used, again and again. Digging nails into her fist, she forced herself away from the tantalizing trail those thoughts lead to. “How did we get clean? And in bed? Is this even the room we were in last night?”

Zamira shrugged, and the movement of her breasts challenged Lily’s resolve. “Lord Furtan takes care of us. He ensures nothing goes too far.”

“So, he healed us?” Lily asked, not finding the thought comforting. How much further had things gone? She could remember fangs inside her, nails clawing at her, digging into her curves at times. Recollections that troubled and aroused her.

“So, should we have something to eat?” Zamira teased, walking delicate fingers over Lily’s bare form, “Or should we head downstairs for some breakfast?” Zamira was clearly proud of her amusing turn of phrase, but Lily’s fangs ached in memory of piercing Zamira’s skin and drinking her blood. Since when did she have fucking fangs?

“Breakfast!” She said, a little too fervently, knowing that if she spent another moment naked in bed with Zamira, she’d fuck her again. Slake her hunger on the blood pulsing through her veins. Blood she could smell, as fragrant as Zamira’s arousal. “I really am quite hungry, after last night,” Lily explained, gently pushing the slender priestess aside and dressing.

“I’d say,” Zamira said with a laugh.

Breakfast was a remarkable spread. Boiled quail eggs, and roasted meats, and fresh bread and butter and honey. The only really off-putting thing was Furtan himself, all blackened, burnt flesh and scabs. Mykel's tried to concentrate on his food, and not look at the demon as he ate. It was better that way, but difficult because Lord Furtan was in a chatty mood. "And were your investigations into our faith... fruitful?"

"I don't know yet," Mykel replied, choosing to ignore the innuendo as he smeared butter on a slice of bread.

"You don't know?" Furtan questioned, leering. "Even after spending the evening with two of our acolytes? Did they not, ah, answer your questions to your satisfaction?"

Mykel's sighed a little. "They seemed devout, and they said all the right words, and I sensed no malice in them.". He looked up, meeting the demon's bloodshot gaze. "And in all honesty, I'm inclined to recommend that the Temple dispatch a mission here. But I still have my... well, not doubts precisely. Concerns, I suppose."

Furtan steepled his clawed fingers and regarded Mykel cooly. "And those are?"

Shrugging, Mykel took a bite of his bread. "You are, after all, a demon. I'd be a fool to accept anything you say at face value, even though I hold out my most sincere hope that you are telling the truth."

To the Paladin's surprise, Furtan laughed. "Ah, yes. And you do not strike me as a fool.". Then he looked over Mykel's shoulder. "So good of you to join us, Lady Lily. We were speaking of the church I found here. What were your impressions?"

Lily hovered in the door, listening in while Mykel spoke with Furtan. From the sounds of it, his evening progressed in a similar fashion to hers, though she very much doubted he let things get quite so out of control. Still, the demon used lust to confound the situation and hide his motives. Why? What could he possibly be hiding?

"So good of you to join us, Lady Lily. We were speaking of the church I found here. What were your impressions?"

“Your servants are quite loyal to you, Lord Furtan,” Lily started, framing her answer diplomatically. She sat beside her brother once more, trying to avoid glancing at Zamira, who sat across from her. “It’s hard to find fault when so many humans are ingratiated to you. You take good care of your citizens, and that lends credence to your sincerity.”

Absently, she served herself food, piling meat and eggs onto her plate. If she bore no other signs of last night, she was dreadfully hungry. Though, truth be told, none of the food on the table appealed near as much as the blood in Zamira’s veins. Even now, she imagined the priestess lying on the table before her, nude with legs spread. Fantasized about crawling between her thighs to taste her pleasure, and pierce that sensitive skin. Dreamt of drinking the mingled ambrosia of her life and desire until Lily consumed both.

“Do you also share your brother’s concerns?” Furtan asked, penetrating the lust fog of her mind. She forced herself to focus on the demon, his hell-deformed features cooling her arousal. Though it hadn’t mattered much last night, had it? When she spread herself for any and every demon in that room.

“It is imperative for me to believe demons could be reformed. It is at the very basis of my faith, knowing that the Gods will welcome their wayward children back into heaven once they have made proper penance. I could not serve Afodisia otherwise. At this moment, there is no good reason to doubt your efforts. I’d like to continue to oversee the operations of your faithful,” Lily explained, cutting her meat into smaller and smaller pieces. Finally, she forced herself to eat some. Delicious yet lacking.

“I welcome the presence of Afodisia’s chosen,” Furtan claimed, smiling in a way that attempted warmth, but did not succeed, “And I hope I can one day earn your faith as well. I do believe we have the same goals, after all.”

Mykel cocked and eye, watching his sister toy with her food. Something, clearly, was bothering her. "I'll just say that I hope we do," he said, replying to Furtan. "For now, at least. Although, clearly, your priestesses are devout enough in their faith. Enough to convince me to recommend that the Temple send a mission here."

"Intriguing," Furtan replied thoughtfully. "But I thought you had certain reservations?"

"I do." Mykel leaned back, meeting the demon's curious gaze. "The number of half-demons in the city, for one. And a concern that your cult follows the outward appearance of the faith of Afodisia, without an understanding of the deeper mysteries. But..."

"But?" Furtan's pronunciation seemed to purr over the word.

"But there is, as yet, no reason to believe that this is anything more than sincere doctrinal error." He shrugged. "Your priestesses are devout in their belief, if not correct in their understanding, for example. And - no disrespect intended, you understand - demons have been so long out of the light of the Gods that their memories of the correct rituals and doctrines could be... flawed. Your cult's willingness to embrace the doctrines of the Temple will go a long way towards demonstrating sincerity."

"A long way." Furtan lifted a gobbet of uncooked beef and thrust it into his mouth. Bloody drool trickled down his charred cheeks as he chewed. "But not completely."

"Demons are deceivers," Mykel pointed out. "Our own father, whom you delight in bringing up, would attest to this. Even when he desired redemption, he was uncertain if he truly wished it or was merely using a statement of that desire to his own ends. You and your fellows would need to be subject to intense scrutiny, and I can tell you now that there is a segment of the faithful that will only believe your sincerity when your redemption is complete."

Mykel, it seemed, had arrived at the same conclusion she had, regarding Furtan. He possessed all the outward signs of sincerity, and made a good case for it. Still, she couldn’t help but think he was hiding something. And it had something to do with last night’s events.
“Well, make yourselves at home here, as long as you like,” Furtan offered, standing. “I will have my priests make themselves available to any questions or needs you have.”

“Are you finished, Lady Lily?” A voice asked. She had finished her meal without really tasting it, too consumed in her mind to notice. Too tempted by Zamira to care.

“Ah, yes,” Lily decided, flashing the servant a friendly smile, “I think I am.” But his eyes didn’t meet hers, instead lingering over her body. Imagining how she looked naked, or remembering? Once more the question of who all had been inside her last night roared to the forefront of her mind, and her own uncertainty unnerved her. Finally, she caught his gaze, and the smug smile on his lips, further unsettling her. Without another word he took her dishes away, and Zamira pulled her up from the chair.

“You’ve been acting strange since we woke up this morning,” Zamira complained, looping her arm into Lily’s and guiding her out of the manor, “What’s going on?”

“I’ve just been thinking,” Lily excused, feeling her concentration slip as the priestess’ soft body brushed her own. “You should come to the temple. I could take you there.” The words spilled out, covering the lustful thoughts she could hardly control anymore.

Zamira stopped and glanced at her, “The temple? Why?”

“I know you are sincere in your beliefs. You merely lack the doctrine to act upon. If you came to the temple, you could learn more of Afodisia’s teachings, and then bring them back here, to share with all of Reeve’s Bluff.” Lily explained, letting herself get lost in Zamira’s eyes all the while. She stroked Zamira’s face, losing the will to resist her. “You could even attend one of our revelries.”

“I like the sound of that,” Zamira acknowledged, biting on her bottom lip. And then she laughed, catching Lily’s hand, “But are you sure you want to share me with all the paladins at the temple?”

“I think I have proven I can share quite well, after last night,” Lily teased this time, stepping even closer to Zamira. She kissed the priestess, deep and hungering, until they were both out of breath, Leaning her forehead against Zamira, she sighed happily, “So long as I can wake up in your arms again.”

Fighting against the beams of sunlight, bright on her eyes, Clara finally succumbed to waking up. It only took her a second to register Verrier’s warm bulk, his wing still covering her to shelter her from the rain. The odd sleeping arrangement didn’t bother her as much as she would have expected, but was that really so surprising? After all they had done last night? Memories filled her with a pleasant satisfaction, and a new found closeness to him. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad to embrace this change. She was still Clara, underneath it all.

She left him with a kiss on the maw, unsure if he could even register it in his current state. She spent a few minutes cleaning herself, before he began stirring, and she began shifting into her dragon, “Shall we be off to Fairtheora? Or did you have more places to show me first?”

Mykel watched his sister leave with Zamira, wondering what was bothering her. What had happened last night? And what role had Furtan played in it all? Was it the wine? Why did he keep thinking about the wine? There had been blood in it. Blood, and some other taste. One he'd tasted in Melinda and Cassandra when he'd fed on them. A faintly bitter taste, stronger in the wine. "By your leave, Lord Furtan," he said, rising. "I'll need to report back to my fellows, tell them what we've learned before."

Furtan laughed. "By all means, go," he said, waving his scabbed hand. "Assure them you haven't been eaten." Slitted red eyes glittered with amusement. "By demons, at least."

Feigning a laugh, Mykel nodded. "As you say, my Lord." He bowed, then headed for the door.

"Sir Paladin," Furtan called as he turned the knob. He looked back, to find the demon watching him. "All of you are welcome to the hospitality of my house, for as long as you wish to stay." Jagged teeth showed behind cracked lips as the demon smiled. "I wish to prove my good intentions, after all."

"Thank you," Mykel replied. "I shall convey your kind invitation."

Lost in thought, trying to place the flavor in the blood, he headed for the front door. Before he reached it Melinda and Cassandra joined him, snuggling under his arms as he walked. "You weren't leaving?" Cassandra pouted.

"No, no," Mykel chuckled. "Not for long, anyway. I was going to go talk to my sister, if I can find her. And my fellow Paladins. Would you like to come with me?"

"Again?" Melinda laughed, yawning dramatically. "I still haven't recovered completely from coming with you last night!"

Verrier stretched, resembling nothing more than a serpentine cat as he did, then slipped into the waters of the lake. He swam for several minutes, rolling and scraping his scales along the sand and stones of the bottom, then finally breached the surface. "There is much I would show you, Clara," he rumbled as he drifted back towards the shore. "Although I suppose we should return to Radharc Realta first. Your wives and husbands are but a short journey from Fairtheora, after all, and I assume you would look upon them and ensure their welfare before traveling further."

Water sluiced from his obsidian and crimson scales as he emerged from the water, leaving him to shine like a dark mirror in the morning sun. "And I would look upon my fortress before we travel as well," he continued. "To ensure the proper accounting and storage of the Tribute, if for no other reason." He stalked forward, rubbing his body against Clara's as he made his way towards the edge of the floating island. "There are herds of wild cattle and horses along the way," he remarked, glancing back at her. His jaws hung open in something approximating a grin. "I seem to have worked up an appetite last night, as if I had exerted myself."

Laughing, he hurled himself from the edge of the island and fell. Wind whipped past him as he fell, and then he opened his great wings. Beating them powerfully, he shot back over and above the island. "Come, Clara!" he roared, in playful challenge. "Keep up with me, if you can!"

Eva glanced over at the other bed in her room, still immaculately made. After all, Mykel hadn’t slept in it the night before last, when they shared her bed, and he hadn’t returned late last night to use it either. So what that he hadn’t returned last night. It didn’t mean something bad had happened to him.

He could certainly handle himself, and Furtan would be foolish to attack a visiting paladin outright and incur the wrath of the Order. More likely he had spent the evening gathering information at the demon’s manor. Or interviewing the mortals around Furtan, for proof of his sincerity, or evidence of his plot. Or he just fucked the two priestesses who had already thrown themselves at him the night of the ceremony. She had given him permission to, and even if she hadn’t, he didn’t need it. Not really. She had no claim over him, after all.

Still, the thought stung. Worry and jealousy had kept her up half the night, and even when she tried to masturbate away the tension, the only fantasies she could summon were of Mykel with the two priestesses. Ignoring her, and leaving her out of their pleasure. So she was tired and frustrated and sad and getting out of bed seemed pointless. Until she heard footsteps in the hall between rooms, and the hope that it was Mykel propelled her up.

When she opened the door, her heart sank again, finding Lily and Zamira giggling and kissing against a wall. Both women glanced at her, not embarrassed or stopping. Zamira was still kissing Lily’s neck when she spoke, “Morning Eva.”

“Where’s Mykel?” she asked, tone sharper than she would have preferred. Lily and Zamira didn’t seem to notice.

“I just saw him at breakfast. I’m sure he will be along soon,” Lily explained.

“If Cassandra and Melinda don’t keep him too busy,” Zamira teased. Eva winced, but still, neither woman noticed. Another door opened and Anja beckoned them inside, where Rynne and Svalis waited.

“Did you find out anything?” Svalis asked, eying Zamira before glancing back to Lily.

“Furtan’s priests are sincere, and truly believe in their message. Still too early to tell if Furtan is also sincere, but he has invited us all to stay in his manor, so that he may prove himself.”

“He acts as if he has nothing to hide,” Rynne noted, “So either he’s covered his tracks very well or–“

“Or he is earnest in his beliefs.” Zamira interrupted, “I know it must be hard for some to believe, but I cannot belabor the point.”

“Some will always be suspicious,” Lily acknowledged, wrapping her arm around Zamira, “There are those that still question my father’s sincerity. But I believe my plan will shed light on Furtan’s intentions.”

Anja raised an eyebrow, “And that is?”

“Bring Zamira back to the temple, so she may study of the doctrine of Love and War. If Furtan is honest about returning to the Goddess’ graces, then he should not object to this plan.”

Clara let out a laugh, which still sounded strange to her in this form, before following Verrier into the dive. Hours miles passed beneath them as they traveled back to Fairtheora. At one point she even ate as a dragon, devouring a torched carcass as she breathed fire down upon a small herd. It was strange to swallow it all in a single gulp, bones and hooves included, but in this state, she hardly felt the patience or need to carve it into smaller pieces.

By late afternoon they reached the fortress Radharc Realta, and Clara was quite eager to wear her own skin again. She landed on human feet upon the balcony, leaving Verrier plenty of room to set down as well. Staring out over distance, she thought she could just make out Monsford. Possibly. Perhaps not.

“I don’t think I will head back to Monsford quite yet,” she decided aloud. “My spouses can look after themselves. They have their own spouses to concern themselves over, anyways. Thora and Sigurd always had each other first, of course, and Sue has her wife, and William has his. Turns out, when you take multiple spouses, you have to let them do the same as well, or the whole things brings apart,” She forced a laugh at the last statement, covering the realization that she was more comfortable here now. “So I might as well stay away for a while, and make them really miss me.”

Verrier circled the mountain three times, visually inspecting the walls and structures and - most importantly - the magics woven and embedded into the fortress. Then he spread his wings and drifted into a lazy spiral that led him downwards towards one of the great swards upon the outer walls. The Sidhe had used them to rear their riding beasts, the gryphons and pegasi, and had made the pens into gardens. For Verrier, they were places from which to watch over his territory.

Clara was in human shape once again, staring up at him with an odd expression. “I don’t think I will head back to Monsford quite yet,” she announced.

"As you wish," he rumbled, sounding distracted as he sniffed the air. There was a familiar sort of odor, one he couldn't quite catch.

“My spouses can look after themselves," Clara continued. "They have their own spouses to concern themselves over, anyways. Thora and Sigurd always had each other first, of course, and Sue has her wife, and William has his. Turns out, when you take multiple spouses, you have to let them do the same as well, or the whole things brings apart.”

Verrier cocked his head, regarding her curiously with his great slitted eyes as she laughed aloud. She sounded almost... nervous. "Do what pleases you," he said, rolling his shoulders in an approximation of a shrug. "Monford is yours, as is the rest of our territory. Come and go as you wish."

Clara continued, as if she needed to justify her decision. “So I might as well stay away for a while, and make them really miss me.”

"Then stay," he chuckled. Then he sniffed the air again. There was a trail, of sorts. A faint reek that made his eyes narrow and his lips draw back in the beginnings of a threat display. A scent he was beginning to recognize, but that he still couldn't quite place. Not yet. But it would come to him. He stalked forward, jaws gaping and tongue lolling out, tasting the flavor of the air. Acidic drool spattered the ground as he moved, sizzling into the dirt and then the stone as he moved into the fortress-city. "I know that flavor..." he murmured. "Do you recognize it, Clara?" It grew stronger as he stalked slowly down the lane of the city, ignoring the Drakul who scattered before him. "You should," he continued. "It smells faintly of you. It's not you, but it reminds me..."

Finally, the scent was strong enough to trigger memories. The flavor of meat and liquid fire that served as blood. Cowering, wounded, as the Hosts hunted him. Flesh tearing as he tore into... "Celestials," he breathed, voice low and harsh. "Celestials," he repeated, the word coming out in a rumbling snarl as he erupted into motion once more. "God-slaves have entered the fortress - my fortress - in my absence!"

"Hey! Anja!"

The blonde Paladin looked up from her breakfast - late, because she saw no reason to rise with the sun unless there was fighting or fucking early in the morning - and smiled. "Hey, Mykel!" she called with a wave, eying him and the two blonde women he'd brought with him. No wonder he'd been out all night. "Did you bring enough for everyone? Remember, you have to share if you didn't." Then, folding her arms, she leaned back and watched with a smirk as he pulled out chairs for the two women before taking a seat. "But seriously..."

"Oh," one of the blonde women laughed, eying her speculatively, "we don't mind sharing."

"But seriously," Anja continued, not letting herself be distracted, "care to introduce us?"

"Sure," Mykel said. "Ladies, this is Anja - one of my colleagues...."

"You mean another Paladin?" asked the other blonde, staring at her with a wide-eyed, impressed look.

"Yes." Mykel gestured at them. "Anja, this is Melinda and Cassandra, two acolytes of the local cult of Afodisia. They wanted to come along when they heard I was coming to meet everyone." He glanced around the room. "Speaking of which, have you seen Lily? She left when I was talking to Furtan, and..."

Biting off a mouthfull of bread, Anja gestured towards the stairs. "Up there. Went past just a few minutes ago, with a brunette. That priestess from yesterday, I think. She didn't stop to introduce her, just headed up."

Mykel stared at the stairs. "I wonder what's going on?"

"On?" Anja shrugged, and drank down half a pint of small beer. "I don't know about on, but the way they were carrying on I'd wager something's going down." She looked, then waved at Eva as the redhead appeared at the top of the stairs. "Maybe she can fill you in more?"

Zamira pressed Lily into the door as soon as it closed, molding her soft body against Lily's more muscular figure as she explored the Paladin's mouth with her tongue. Her hands explored Lily's body, caressing her hips and cupping her full breasts before tugging at the laces of her cotton gown. "Goddess," she breathed, hands working frantically to find the smooth skin beneath the thin fabric. "You've had breakfast, Liliana." She bit at the Paladin's throat, just hard enough to leave a small mark. Her knee pushed between Lily's legs, full thigh pressing into her mound and rubbing. "Now we need to have something to eat..."

FxF Smut Scene: Lily and Zamira
Using her sense of smell, enhanced by the changes Verrier visited upon her, wasn’t something Clara liked doing. Often overwhelming, she preferred to revert back to her original form, where scent merely informed her other senses, rather than dominate it. But Verrier’s obsessive search for the mysterious trail in his keep captured the moment, and Clara joined him in his search.

The stink was familiar, and immediately a stink to her. Foul and repulsive, thick with corruption and blood, Clara nearly gagged as it filled her nostrils. Verrier named the odor before she could, but he couldn’t be right.

“No, not celestial,” she insisted. The only celestials she knew of were Aeshma and Matthias, and his children with Ari. None of them would do something so foolish And she knew this wasn’t them, not a reformed demon, or children born of hope. Not just because she didn’t want to imagine Verrier’s ire aimed in their direction. The scent was will off. Fouler, thicker, pungent. “Infernal. Demons, not celestials.”

Eva lingered at the top of the stairs for a moment, listening. Watching, as Mykel played the part of gentleman to the two blonde priestesses. Clearly, he was fine. Of course, he was. Just spent the night with a couple other women, and why wouldn’t he? They weren’t together, didn’t love each other. A couple of people who occasionally spent the entire night fucking.
"Maybe she can fill you in more?" Anja had seen her, waved her down to join them. She didn’t really want to, but she didn’t have a good excuse not to. So she trudged down the stairs. Both women looked at her. Looked her over, with hints of smirks on their faces. All she could see in her mind were the dream images of them tangled up with Mykel.

“Lily mentioned a few things, before disappearing with the priestess. Seems they can hardly keep their hands off each other.” The words brought back the night before last. When Mykel pressed her into the wall to kiss, hungrily. The desperate need to feel skin against skin and have him inside her. Golden eyes staring down into hers he moved in her. Her blood on his lips as he came inside her. Memories that had been sweet, but now tasted bitter as he sat between the blondes. Without meeting his eyes, she sat on the opposite end of the table.

“She said she wanted to bring Zamira to the temple, so she could study the teachings of Afodisia. Bring back true doctrines, to spread to the followers here. If Furtan were sincere in his claims of seeking redemption, he wouldn’t object. If he does object, we have an in to investigate his claims.”

Lily hissed as Zamira bit her, enjoying the spike of pain and subsequent soothing heat of her tongue. Bring back images of tasting Zamira last night. Bringing back images of being tasted, feasted upon by demons as countless fangs pierced her skin. Countless demons inside her, filling her with their seed as they drained her life.

"You've had breakfast, Liliana. Now we need to have something to eat."

The words made her fangs ache, growing sharp in her mouth. The scent of Zamira’s life, mingled with the aroma of desire flooded Lily’s senses, and she wanted more. Needed more. Needed to feel the priestess writhing as blood trickled down Lily’s throat.

“I need another taste of you…” Lily moaned. Catching Zamira’s slender wrists in a single hand, Lily trapped them over head and against the wall. Zamira struggled, playfully, for a moment, excitement gleaming in turquoise eyes. Her weight bore down on Zamira as she forced lips open, scraping a razor fang on Zamira’s tongue. Her rewards were a copper sweet trickle and Zamira’s sigh, twisting her tongue around Lily’s. Lips tinted scarlet, Lily stared into Zamira’s eyes, “I can’t get enough of you.”

"Infernal, celestial," Verrier's voice dripped with fury and contempt. "Nothing but politics, one side gripping power by the throat and refusing to let go while the other side tries to rip out the throat of power and claim a throne for themselves. Both giving lip service to the illusion that good and evil are anything more than a matter of perspective."

His progress through the streets was a prowling, slithering crawl. He held himself low to the ground, great head weaving back and forth as he drank in the air and followed the trail. It was old, several days old. Whatever had dared to enter his fortress had done so shortly after he had left. Shortly after Hrothgar had left as well, no doubt. The old dragon hunter would have mentioned the arrival of strangers, had he seen them. Unless he was in collusion..? No, not likely. Not now.

The trail led to the the catacomb entrance and down, deep into the catacombs. Down towards his hoard. "Thieves?" he growled as he slid into the darkness, letting his eyes transform until he could see clearly. "But what would thieves seek, here? The return of angelic battle standards? Some weapon born by an archangel or a captain of a Host?" The spiralnig ramp soon opened into the arched vaults beneath the fortress, great rooms used by the Elves to store supplies and weapons, and now used by Verrier to mound up the treasure that amused him. The celestial stink was stronger here. He growled, a low rumbling sound of fury, and light danced from the heaps of his hoard as flame dripped from his jaws.

"Nothing is missing..." he said slowly, peering around. "Nothing... wait!" He lept forward, claws scattering coins and gems like grains of sand as her hurled himself towards the trophies he displayed in the center of the vault. "Akhimin," he rumbled, voice shaking with fury. "And Malovar. And Verdan. But Thandes, Thandes is gone." He stared at the display pillar for a moment, silent. Then he threw his head back, roaring so loud that the angelic weapons shook in their racks. "Gone!" he raged, lashing his tail as he circled the pillar once more. Treasure enough to buy a kingdom flew under the impact, and one of the weapons racks smashed into tinder. "GONE! THIEVES! THEY WILL PAY!"

"She brought Zamira here?" Mykel asked, feeling oddly hurt that Eva had sat so far away. She looked upset, and that bothered him more. "Well, that's good. That was my thought as well."

Amja looked between them, lifting an eyebrow and smiling just a little. "What, bring Zamira back?"

"No, no," Mykel said - although he wouldn't have minded bedding the olive-skinned priestess himself. "No, I mean, getting the clergy of the local cult trained up. They're sincere - at least, the few I've met are sincere - so they need a proper doctrinal education." He gave Anja a serious look. "And proper review by the Inquisition, to make sure they're sincere in their dedication to Afodisia."

Breathing a little sigh of relief, Anja nodded. "Good. Nice to see you thinking, for a change."

"For a change?" Mykel demanded, putting on an act of being upset.

"Yeah. For a change." She grabbed a biscuit. "What's your assessment of the demons? Do you think they're sincere, really?"

"Of course they are!" Melinda protested, shocked.

"I..." Mykel considered that. "I think so. The only one I was able to speak with was Lord Furtan, and I get a sense that he really does seek some form of redemption. And that he just doesn't know how to do it, not really." Drumming his fingers on the table, he considered his reactions. "He puts too much emphasis on the, the physical aspects of the faith and not enough on the spiritual side of it."

Zamira responded by sucking the taste of her blood from Lily's lips. "You haven't even tried," she whispered sweetly, letting a thin rivulet of blood trickle from the corner of her mouth to drip into her cleavage. She tugged at Lily's iron grip, grinding her body against the Paladin's as she did. "You had to share me with others last night, when you served with me and accepted my service to the Goddess." Slipping her foot from her sandal, she stroked it over the bare skin of Lily's calf. "You don't have to share me now."

Pushing forward, she ran her bloody tongue over Lily's lips before slipping it into the heat of her mouth. The kiss lingered, flavored with the metallic taste of her blood. "You can have all of me, Lily. For you, and you alone."

Clara stayed close on Verrier’s heel, curious and perhaps a touch concerned. Not for herself, mind –she refused to fear Verrier– but for whoever it was that would earn his wrath. His fury was much like his dragon fire, and would spread beyond the original focus.

“What would demon’s want with Thandes’ skull?” She asked, walking around the treasure room. Trying to discern what had been disturbed by the intruders, and what had been thrown about in Verrier’s rage. “If we can figure out what use demons would have for the skull, we can begin narrowing down who might have taken it.”

“Doesn’t sound like you need us for that,” Eva said, pouting as she focused on her meal. “A single paladin is more enough to escort the priestesses back to the temple. Any more than that would just get…crowded.” Her eyes flickered towards Mykel then, catching the hint of concern. What right did she have to be mad? She had told him to fuck the blondes. They were just friends, nothing more. It’s not like the other night meant anything…

Pushing herself from the table, Eva stood up in a huff. “If no one needs me, then I will go train. I need to work off some of this pent-up energy.”

"You can have all of me, Lily. For you, and you alone."

Lily shuddered at Zamira’s words, arousing her more than she believed possible. “Mine.” The word filled Lily’s mind, taking a second for her to even realize she had said it. Meant it, wanting everything Zamira was offering. Without even thinking, she lifted the lithe priestess in her arm, still kissing her and feasting on the blood that dripped from her lacerated tongue. Her own hands dug into Zamira’s ass, holding her up while smooth legs wrapped around Lily’s waist.

Lily carried Zamira to the bed, dropping her down and landing atop her in a single motion, not stopping the kiss. Unable to pull away, indulging on steady stream of blood that flavor’s Zamira’s kisses. Blindly, she pulled and tugged at Zamira’s dress, seeking her soft skin and softer curves. Lily pulled away, gasping desperately for breath. Just hovering over the sultry priestess, who was now bared to the waist. “Mine,” she growled again, before leaving a scarlet trail of Zamira’s blood from her throat to her breast.

"What. Indeed.". Suddenly Verrier was calm again, with a voice like poisoned ice. He stared down at the empty spot which had once held the skull, the double slits of his eyes narrowing to faint lines. "What indeed?"

He coiled around, wing membranes twisting as he turned to face Clara. "I can think of reasons," he said. "Many reasons. The children and grandchildren of Chaos do not die easily, and power and even life lingering long in them. Remember Yavost'cherev's blood, and the things it has spawned in the Sarn?". He nodded back towards the plinth. "Demon's would most likely have little use for the powers of the Justice-Giver or the Balancer or the Forest-Lord. But Thanks the Destroyer?". There was black humor in his laughter. "what use might a demon have for such power, Clara? What use might a Paladin have, for that matter?"

His belly-plates scraped over the scattered treasure as he prowled towards the exit of the vault. "But these were no ordinary thieves, Clara. They bypassed the wards and guardians I have set over Ages of the world. There was still here, rare skill from demon's. Skill in the Primal Speech, amongst other things. And I know of only one demon with such skill.". His voice echoed from the stone walls. "I will... speak with Matthias Twice-Traitor."

Matthias watched Eva go, startled. "Uhm, Anja? Would. I mean, can you talk to Cassandra and Melinda's for a bit?". He pushed back from the table in a rush. "I, uhm, need to go talk to her."

"Yeah, yeah, sure," Anja assured him, waving a little. "Don't worry.". She shook her head as he hurried off after the Archer, rolling her eyes as she did.

"They.. they care about each other, don't they?" asked one of the blondes. Anja was pretty sure it was Cassandra.

"You have no idea. And they're both half-blind idiots about it. But that's neither here nor there.". She looked over the two women, her inner eye seeing nothing out of the ordinary about them. "Now. Let's start with some basics. Tell me your understanding of the Catechism of Love and War..."

"Yours," Zamira moaned as her body arched, offering her throat and bared breasts to Lily. Her fingers diped into the droplets of blood that pooled on her breastbone, streaking crimson across her olive skin as she cupped her breasts. Blood smeared on her nipples as she stroked them. "Yours.". One hand worked lower, leaving traces of blood on her gown as she pulled at it, exposing her smooth belly and then her sleek hips as the cloth slid over her hips and onto the bed. She licked her fingers, coating them with blood and saliva, then used them to spread the glistening lips of her sex to Liky's hungry gaze.

"I I am yours, Lily" she gasped, usng one finger to tease her clit. "Mmy blood and my body, yours with which to find our goddess and enter into Her delight."

Clara wanted to argue further, but Verrier’s words rung true. Dragon magic was exceedingly rare among mortals and unheard among demons. Of all the demons she’d fought in her time, none used it, and she had a hard time believe one might keep it secret. Demons didn’t have that sort of restraint.

But, would Matthias really do something so foolish? Risk his family, if not all of Monsford, for power? It seemed unlikely, even if betrayal had been his nature. What worried Clara more was the knowledge that his daughter Lily had also studied the primal speech, and she shared her mother’s impulsiveness. Still, she kept that bit of knowledge to herself.

“For the record, I think it’s a waste of time,” Clara said, glancing around the room for some clue to absolve him, “But if it makes you feel better to eliminate him as a suspect, let’s get on with it, so we can find the real thief.”

Eva dashed from the inn, from the sight of Mykel with the twins, from the imagines that followed. Fleeing from the hurt, from the words she’d said, giving him permission to break her heart and her own surprise that it did hurt so much. Not far behind, she could hear Mykel, and the sound raised hope in her heart, hope she wasn’t sure she could handle.

Just outside town, Eva stopped, giving Mykel a chance to catch up. She knew he wouldn’t stop, and she refused to analyze what that meant, right now. Angry tears burned her eyes, but she didn’t want to cry in front of him. Not in this moment, the morning after he spent the night with other women. Once the words started coming out, she couldn’t stop them. “I just couldn’t sit there, watching you with them and knowing that…” Inhaling deeply, a desperate effort to hold back the tears

“I know, we’re just friends, and I know I said to fuck them, and I know I fucked everything up because I... I–” I fell for you, but the confession got stuck in her throat, choked down in sobs. “I wanted to share them with you. I didn’t want to share you with them.”

Lily’s eyes were glued on the blood stains Zamira left on her own body as fingers journeyed down. A map laid out before her, leading her to the sweetest destination. Charting a course to paradise. Trembling, it was difficult to resist the urge to take Zamira at her word. Drain every last drop of blood from her mewling, writhing figure, as orgasm took her. Instead, Lily forced herself to go slow, take it slow, skimming hands over dusky arms and breasts. Sliding over that soft stomach and fragrant slit, the intermingled scent of blood and lust making Lily’s mouth water and fangs ache.

She rested on her knees before Zamira, gazing up the length of the priestess’s body. “So…so beautiful,” she murmured, consumed by the sight. Consumed with need, placing thighs on either shoulder, so she could get closer. Two slender fingers spread her open, and a pink tongue darted out to lap the dripping desire from between those lips. Lily moaned at her taste, that ambrosia of life and passion. Abandoning restraint, Lily’s tongue plunged into that sopping sex, desperate to taste more.

Just above the entrance, Zamira’s clit pulsed with blood, and it was far too tempting. Too tempting to pierce, to feast upon the blood engorging it. Lily teased it for just a moment, not trusting herself any more than that, before using fingers to play with it, as she lapped at Zamira’s juices.

Verrier erupted from the entrance to the catacombs, rearing up and leaping forward to catch hold of the great tower he'd claimed as his library. Stone scratched and splintered as he crept up it like a great bat until he reached the midpoint of the structure. Then he hurled himself away, spreading his wings. Wing blasted the streets as he beat the air, skimming the rooftops of the fortress and hurling himself into a dive as he cleared the edge of the mountain. Speed built up as he hurtled towards the distant ground below, and he seemed to streak into the sky when he spread and angled his wings. Banking, he circled the fortress and the mountain twice and waited for Clara to catch up with him. Then, inclining his great head, he caught the air and soared out towards the southeast.

"For the record," Verrier replied as Clara came alongside him, "I am not naming him the thief. Not yet, at least." His jaws gaped in a fang-filled mockery of a grin. "I have not survived six Ages of this world, survived the Scourges of the Heavens, by being a fool, and I will not descend upon your home in flame and fury unless Monsford proves such actions to be necessary."

He paused, catching a thermal to gain more altitude. "But the first and most obvious of the suspects are to be found in your lair, Clara. Matthias Twice-Traitor. His spawn, who are likely to have been instructed in the Primal Speech as well as in the other arts studied by their parents. Aeshima, an Angel and a Dragon both. Fyraxes was one of the lesser Dragons, born from the blood shed by Vihr and Zemletrjasenie when they were slain by Malovar the Balancer, but she knew much of the Primal Speech. How much of her knowledge did Ashiima absorb, when she ate Fyraxes' soul?"

Eva finally stopped running, nearly a mile beyond the walls of the city. When she stopped, it didn't take long to catch up. Not with the strength of a Paladin driving his semi-mortal frame. She waited for him, features angry and twisted with emotion, fists balled. "What's wrong?" he asked, when he was close enough not to have to shout. "What's..."

“I just couldn’t sit there," she raged, "watching you with them and knowing that…”

"That what?" Mykel's response was angry, angrier than he'd expected. "Damnit, you said..."

“I know," she snapped back. "We’re just friends, and I know I said to fuck them, and I know I fucked everything up because I... I–”

"What?" The lone word was full of confusion as he tried to follow what she was saying. "Eva, I... I mean, you didn't..."

“I wanted to share them with you," she sobbed. "I didn’t want to share you with them.”

"I... that is... I..." Some primal instinct shut down the first two or three responses that came to mind. This was different, somehow. They'd always enjoyed being around each other, and with each other, and in each other for that matter. She'd ranted about her first girlfriend to him, and he'd gotten rip-roaring drunk on "borrowed" wine with her when his first crush had broken his heart, and they'd always been the best of friends. But... something was different here. Very different.

"Eva," he tried again, gently taking her shoulders. "I... damnit, I wish I had brought them back, last night. Shared them with you.... no, wait. That's not quite right.' He licked his lips, trying to put his thoughts into words. "I mean, I did want to share them with you. Do want to. But... damn it, I'm fucking this up. Aren't I?"

Swallowing, he tried again. "I... missed you, when I woke up. It was... nice, with them. But, you weren't there. You weren't there, Eva."

Zamira cried out, arching her back and lifting her hips as Lily's fang scratched her clit. Then her fingers dug into the covers as the Paladin's tongue and fingers filled her slit. "Goddess!" she gasped, thighs involuntarily gripping Lily's head. "Please... oh, please... yes..." A shudder of pleasure coursed through her, making her whimper as the soft tongue caressed her folds. "Oh... oh Goddess! Please! Please..." The tongue stroked her clit, rendering her incapable of speech as her walls clenched around the fingers that filled her now.

"Lily," she moaned, head thrashing from side to side as she lost herself in the building heat in her belly. "Please, Lily, let me... let meAH!" The fingers withdrew just before she could climax on them, Lily's tongue teasing her but not offering her release even as she spread her legs and offered herself to her demon lover. "Let me... Goddess! Let me... taste you. Let me worship you, please, as... as you take... pleasure from... from me..."

Miles from Monsford, nearly a half-day's journey by horseback, Verrier plunged towards the ground. His shape writhed and collapsed as he reached the ground, taking on a human shape as he knelt in his landing. When he rose to his feet he was, well, no longer a "he". She was slim and compact, with long black hair and fair skin, garbed in a reddish tunic and patchwork armor. Only her eyes, yellow and crimson and slitted, showed her utter unhumanity. And then, with a blink, they were a chestnut brown.

"If your servants have not robbed me, Clara," Verrier said in a smooth contralto, "they have nothing to fear. I swear this."

It would be easy. So easy to just melt into Mykel’s arms and those eyes and let his embrace wash away the pain of last night. Maybe it was because she thought he’d always be there. That comfortable consistency to take refuge in. And now all of that was simultaneously fading out and becoming crystal clear. Now, in this moment, there was a choice. Two paths that diverged. One lead to questions and regrets, unrequited feelings. A place where things didn’t have to change. The other was uncertainty and fulfillment and heartbreak. Everything would change. There would be no going back. Either he’d be hers, or she’d lose him forever.

“Mykel,” Eva whispered, hoping the answer would fall from her lips without her having to make a choice. Could she do this to herself again? If she let herself fall for him, then she opened herself to be hurt again. But how could she possibly pull away now, as his hands caressed her shoulders?

“I just…I don’t know what I want. Clearly.” She forced a laugh, because it pushed back the tears. “I want you to be happy, even if that means I will be crushed. But part of me wishes it didn’t have to be that way. That we both could be happy. Together…” That last word terrified her, reaching out to pull it back as she heard herself say it. Fuck it, it was out there now, right? Just say it, in no uncertain terms.

“I just an idiot who fell for you, telling you to fuck other women so I wouldn’t have to admit it to myself.”

Zamira’s hungry moans and quaking body drove Lily wild. Ravenous. Greedy. Greedier yet, as she kept the priestess on the edge of ecstasy. Just recreating that maddening arousal that had plagued Lily since she lay eyes on Zamira. In this moment, she consumed Zamira’s mind as much as Zamira had consumed hers.

“Mine,” she purred, sit up just a little, but still fingering Zamira. Holding her gaze as three fingers pushed in and out, sliding against tight muscle and dripping lips. Her thumb pressing against that throbbing clit, pulsing with even more need and blood. She kissed Zamira’s bronzed thighs, nipping just a little, so close to that major artery. “You swore yourself to me, offering me everything. I will have that everything, my sweet priestess.”

Unable to resist a second longer, Lily dipped back towards Zamira’s sex, her musky aroma a presence in the room. Fangs positively aching, Lily pierced her clit. A mouthful of blood later she licked it sealed, not stopping the pace of her fingers inside Zamira.

Clara followed Verrier’s lead, anxiety twisting in her gut as they drew closer. No way Matthias or either of his children would do something so foolish. Not possible. But was she convinced, or was she praying that it was true?

That Verrier chose to take human form as they approached Monsford was not so strange. Terror was no so conducive to answers, after all. But the form the dragon had chosen was…baffling. A woman. A very good looking woman, fierce and sensual all at once. Verrier could change his…her sex? Why was that surprising, of all things? Why was it easier to accept that Verrier could change into any form of animal than that the dragon could chose to be a man or a woman? And did it mean that she could, as well?

Testing this, Clara landed on human feet. Not familiar feet, larger and heavier than her own. Longer legs held a larger frame up, unsteadily for a moment, before he stood tall. He opted for a tall, thin figure, slender musculature not so dissimilar to her form. Closer sure than the dragon form Clara had worn often, as of late. Still, it felt strange, but Clara resisted the urge to switch back to female.

“So what’s the plan?” She asked, in a woman’s voice. Clearing his throat, he tried again, letting his tone grow deeper, “Go in disguise, and so if someone confesses?”

To be perfectly honest, Mykel was stunned by what Eva had said. Together? Fell for him? "I..." he stammered out, thinking out loud as he tried to process what he'd just heard. "I, I never thought, I mean, you... that is..." Fuck. He was babbling, mind racing far beyond what he could manage to say. Fell for him? In... in love. "You're... you're my, my best friend." Best friend that I look forward to seeing every day. That I fuck by preference, when I've got options.

There was hurt in her face now, and it was a knife in his heart. "I don't know what I'm trying to say," he managed. Then, running his fingers through his hair, he managed a nervous grin. "No, damnit, I do know what I'm trying to say." Before she could pull away again, start running again, he pulled her into an embrace. "Eva, I... I feel the same. I... never even thought about it. Not, not really. Because I'm an idiot, I guess. But..." Grinning like an idiot, he kissed her forehead. "I fell for you too, long time back. And I wish I'd realized it, and told you before you had to tell me like, like this."

Sighing, he tightened his grip a little. "You're my best friend, Eva, and, and I took that for granted. I shouldn't have, and I should have realized that I..." He swallowed, feeling the yawning enormity of what he was about to say. Feeling nervous about saying it, hoping he still wasn't misunderstanding her. "I fell... in love. With, with my best friend."

Zamira screamed with pleasure, climaxing through the stinging pain as Lily's sharp fang tore into her clit. She writhed helplessly on the bed as the sensations overwhelmed her, lifting her hips as her cunt tightened on the Paladin's fingers and she felt her blood and juices dripping down her lips and thighs. A second orgasm washed through her as Lily's soft tongue caressed the abused flesh, leaving her wide-eyed and rigid and whimpering until she collapsed.

"I... I..." she gasped, barely able to speak. "I've... never... oh, Goddess..." Chest heaving with the effort of breathing, she managed to sit up just enough to see Lily staring up at her, blood still staining her mouth. Trembling fingers tugged lightly at Lily's hair. "Please," Zamira begged. "Please. Let me... let me taste myself... on you..."

“So what’s the plan?” Clara asked.

Verrier folded her arms beneath her breasts, observing Clara's transformation with an appraising eye. "An... interesting effect, matching that voice to that form. Is it what you intended?"

Clara cleared his throat. “Go in disguise," he asked in a deeper voice, "and so if someone confesses?”

"Better. More suited to that shape." With that, Verrier turned and began strolling in the direction of Monsford. "And that is, more or less, my plan. I adopted this particular shape because, even in Monsford and even among your Order, it is human nature to assume that the female of the species is less dangerous. Less of a threat. People will be more open when speaking to, hmmm..." She considered the question for a moment. "Vera. Vera Altes, late of Landis. Yes, despite being a warrior, I am still a woman. Less suspicion would fall upon me than if I came in the shape of a man, and less terror than if I came in my true form."

Saying that, she glanced back over her shoulder at Clara. "What of you, though? You had planned to remain in the mountain for a while longer, but we are come again to your lair. I should have thought you would relish the opportunity to seek out your mates and reunite with them. Was it mere curiosity that led you to take this form, or something more?"

“Just curiosity,” Clara insisted, still getting used to hearing the deeper voice coming from his lips. He didn’t want to think about why it was more comfortable to be around Verrier recently. “I am still learning about my transformation, so why not learn and practice with you? Knowledge is power, after all.” He kept pace with Verrier, finally able to push the alien aspects of his current form from the forefront of his mind.

“Besides, it will help your cover story. If I came back into Monsford with a new woman when they knew I was visiting you, they might be suspicious if we both claim you aren’t Verrier. But if I am not Clara but Cuthbert Cainson, well, there is no reason for anyone to suspect you aren’t who you say you are,” he explained. Scratching at the sparse hair on his chin, which was just as itchy as he had suspected, he considered for a few moments.

“We should probably get our story straight before we arrive. Are we siblings? We could probably pass but…” His mind went back to thoughts of last night, and the fierce passion they shared, which made the idea of masquerading as siblings uncomfortable. And made him even more uncomfortable, imagining the logistics of fucking Verrier in their current forms. “No, I think lovers is a better story. There is a kernel of truth to it, after all, and makes for a better lie.”

Eva threw herself into Mykel’s arms now, the emotional turmoil of these last few moments weighing on her, uncertain if she could stand of her own power. Somewhere along the way they had fallen in love, so slow and subtle neither realized it until now. “I love you, and I don’t care how long it took to realize it or say it.” Sobs turned into nervous, giddy laughs, all the pain and uncertainty fading away. “You’re mine now. That’s all that matters.”

She kissed him at that, seeking comfort and completion in his lips and mouth. Refusing to pull away or let go, it lasted several moments, and even when they did break the kiss, she planted several smaller kisses on his lips. “I have to say, I am glad we got this out into the open before I had a chance to try going out and making you jealous. That could have ended badly.” She laughed, head resting against his chest. Eyes closed in contentment, she stayed like that, in his arms, enjoying the beating of his heart, still racing from the thrill of confessing their feelings for each other. Then she laughed again.

“So, how were they? You ready to share them with me?”

Lily stood above Zamira, licking lingering traces of lust and life from her lips. “You sound so hot when you beg.” Still, she kept the sultry priestess waiting a moment longer, slipping out of her clothes. Only when she was completely naked, and Zamira was wild eyed with need, did she crawl up the woman’s body, enjoying the feel of heated flesh against her bare skin. Gazing down into those gorgeous turquoise eyes, Lily caressed her cheeks, before moving in for the kiss. Fuck, Zamira felt so good. So supple and warm, soft hands exploring the paladin’s proud warrior physique.

“I’ve never felt this way, before,” Lily admitted, stroking her hair. Zamira might have been listening, but she wasn’t stopping the kiss, trailing down Lily’s long neck and strong shoulders. “I’ve never wanted someone so badly before. So completely before. How do you do this to me?” If Zamira knew, she wasn’t telling, nipping with teeth at Lily’s collarbone.

“Show me how you want to worship our Goddess,” Lily instructed, rolling them both over so Zamira was on top.

Verrier shrugged at her explanation. "It would have been easy enough to explain my presence in any event. For instance, you chose to return in human form and encountered me as I put extra distance between myself and Landis. Having heard that this kingdom - and Monsford in particular - is more receptive to strong women, than Landis, I chose to accompany you.". She grinned. "And who would suspect me of being Verrier? The last tales naming the Great Wyrm of Fearfire a female were the lays of the elves, who named her Dúrrovalgurth in fear that speaking her true name would draw her attention."

She smiled at that thought. "They were right, of course. It pleases me to let mortals know it, for I can hear whatever is said in conjunction with my name. But, I digress. We shall be lovers then, Cuthbert, if it pleases you.". Giving him a sly smile, she stretched slowly, displaying herself for his gaze. "I know it pleased me, last night."

Laughing, she lengthened her stride. "Come, though. We have miles to go, creeping in the dust like men. Let us make haste, and arrive before the sun sets."

"That could have ended very badly," Mykel laughed, crushing her against his chest. "It still might, too. I mean, we've always been friends who fuck each other. Hopefully, being lovers won't change that.". Grinning, he kissed her hair, then kissed her lips. "Not that I'm planning to get stupid or anything.". He held her for a while after that, silent and enjoying the moment. "Still," he added, only half teasing, if I'd realized I was going to do this, I'd have bathed and changed clothes first. I think I still smell of them."

Eva gave him a speculative glance. "So, how were they? You ready to share them with me?”

"Well, that didn't take long," he laughed. "And who says I'm ready to s hare you with them?". His grip faded swiftly, though. "They were... well, they were every bit as if out as you thought they'd be. And, I think they're sincere in their beliefs. But...". He frowned, thinking over the events of the night. "They... they serve as priestesses to demon's, Eva. And, even if the demons are sincere and trying, there's something... something not right about it.". Words began to tumble out as he tried to explain his misgivings. "They mixed their blood into wine, Eva. I could see the scars where they did it. And they asked - no, encouraged - me to bite them while we fucked. And they cut themselves as well, bleeding more and begging me to feed from them."

The memories were turning him on even as they worried him, making his cock hard and his fangs lengthen and ache. "You know how hard it is for me to stop," he murmured, feeling the elongated fangs with his tongue. "How much we play with fire, every time I drink from you. And they... they don't seem to grasp that. Or they don't care. That scares me, Eva. What is their cult doing?"

"I want to worship the Goddess in you," Zamira husked, straddling Lily's hips. "I want to worship the Goddess through you.". She leaned forward, molding her soft body to Lily's harder, more athletic figure. Her Olive hands combed through Lily's ebon hair as she kissed her, seeking the last traces of her orgasm and her blood on her lips. "I want to take your pleasure from you, as you took mine from me."

She slid down Lily's body, leaving a heated trail of lingering kisses over the outer curve of her breast and along her ribs. "I've lost count," she whispered, nibbling down Lily's taught stomach and tracing her navel with the tip of her tongue, "of the number of our Lady's wayward children who have sought paradise within me. More than I can count, because I know that I continue to serve beyond the limits of my strength.". She nibbled lower, drawing closer and closer to Lily's dripping slit. "I have found much pleasure in it," she murmured, breath hot on her folds. "But you were the first to give it to me before taking it for yourself."

Her tongue slowly explored Lily's lips, tenderly circling her clit before gently kissing the tender flesh. "And now I will return it, until your prayers are a wordless hymn of praise to our Goddess."

Jealousy flared at Mykel’s admittance, lingering sentiments Eva was still struggling to get over. Feeding had been their little secret, intimate and personal and erotic. But that wasn’t what was important right now, and it was easier to push down her jealousy while Mykel held her

“Well, if they are used to servicing…demons, it’s probably what they are accustom to. Maybe they even like it. I know I do,” she added almost without thinking. She blushed at the admittance, but surely he knew how much she liked it. “Perhaps they just trust that you won’t drain them since the demons here don’t?”

Still leaning into Mykel, Eva headed back toward town. They’d have a way to walk, after her angry sprint, but it didn’t feel so long with her arm around his waist and his around her shoulder. “None of it sits rights with me, to be honest. But with nothing overt going on, there really isn’t reason to intervene. We just have to continue being vigilant, I suppose.”

Lily squirmed under Zamira’s teasing tongue, chasing and reeling from the delight the priestess offered. “Goddess…Goddess yes.” The sweet filth that dripped from Zamira’s lips dripped from hers as well, slick with eager lust. Again, the events of last night played in her mind. The pleasure of service to the goddess, of using her body as a vessel of redemption and devotion in Afodisia’s name. Fuck, if she weren’t already so wet.

“Zamira…Goddess, Zamira…” Now the mighty paladin was reduced to whimpers and gasps. She tried to sit up, leaning on her elbows, but quickly abandoned that task, sinking into the mattress as bliss grew between her thighs. Rapture became maddening, overwhelming, transforming every thought and word into moans and sighs. Back arched and hips bridged, Lily succumbed to her climax, just as she had succumbed again and again last night.

The sun hung red and heavy in the western sky as Cuthbert and Vera arrived in Monsford. Vera wouldn’t think much time had passed since she was last here, and strangely enough, he found himself agreeing. 20 years felt like the blink of an eye.

Not much had changed in that time. The town a bit larger now, it’s walls and dam rebuilt bigger and stronger than before. Canons were mounted on each parapet, six in total now. In the southeastern corner was the temple of Afodisia. A microcosm of the main hold, there was a small church, training grounds and a barrack. It only housed a dozen, and at the moment it was nearly half empty, with most of the Paladins out in demon lands. Still, a dozen aspirants called it home, having a rambunctious evening meal at the long, outdoors table.

“DO you want to get right into questioning people?” Cuthbert asked, considering the situation. He was heading for his home when it occurred to him that he wasn’t Clara right now. “Or shall I arrange for this evening’s lodgings?”

Mykel grinned at the blush, feeling affectionate and amused and aroused all at once. Biting was their intimate secret, yes, one that made sex even hotter than normal. Which made it strange that he'd been so willing to feed on Melinda and Cassandra. Was it the blood in the wine? Or something else. Regardless, he squeezed her hand and walked down the road beside her. "Vigilance is our watchword, yes," he agreed. "Except for that one time when it was 'carrot'. Remember that?" He flashed her a sly grin, then stared off at the town in the distance. "But, seriously, yeah. We'll need to be careful. At least until the Inquisition gets a mission out here. Then it's someone else's problem."

Slowing his pace, he dropped slightly behind Eva. Then he moved forward, wrapping his arms around her waist. "I want you to remember something, though," he murmured, brushing aside her long copper hair and kissing her bare throat. "Even when we share them, it'll be us sharing them." His fangs lengthened, and he let the tip of one just barely puncture her skin before gently sucking at the tiny bead of blood that formed. Her taste suffused his mouth and he shuddered against her, sucking lightly again before closing the prick with the gentle caress of his tongue. "You're mine, Eva. Always."

Zamira remained between Lily's thighs as she climaxed, making soft wet sounds of pleasure as she lapped at the Paladin's slit through her orgasm. Finally, when she was spent, she slowly kissed her way up her magnificent body until she reached her lips. "I love the way you sound," she murmured, snuggling into Lily's embrace as she gently kissed her. "Praising the Goddess with one breath, and then calling my name with the next." Her fingers slowly explored Lily's body as she kissed her again, then she laughed as she tried to stifle a yawn without success. "We should eat soon, though."

Laughing again, she slapped playfully at Lily's own wandering fingers. "Actual food, I mean! Although afterwards..?" Smiling, she guided those same fingers to her full breast. "Who knows? But I need to build my strength. I serve the Goddess again tonight." She kissed Lily again. "Will you serve with me once more? There are many who seek entrance to the blessings of the Lady of Love and War, and few of us are as yet able to serve. And a Paladin could offer Her blessings to many."

"Obtaining lodgings would be best," Vera replied. "It would look suspicious, would it not, if two nigh-penniless warriors arrived and immediately asked to see the Lord-Commander of the Monsford Temple and her husband? After all, neither Vera nor Cuthbert are known to them - or to anyone in this town, really. Which reminds me..." Glancing around, she stooped and picked up several small stones from the ground, clenching her jaw and wincing slightly as she did. Nobody was watching, so she spat bloody spittle onto the stones and closed her fist around them, murmuring something in the Primal Speech just below the level of audibility. When she opened her hand, the stones were silver.

"Nigh-penniless," she laughed, tucking them into a pouch. "But I see no need for us to be utterly destitute, or for us to sleep in the streets. And this should be enough to purchase us a meal, and a bed for the night. And now, where shall we go Cuthburt? This city looks entirely different when seen from the ground."

"We should eat soon, though."

“Didn’t you just finish eating?” Lily teased, kissing her taste form Zamira’s lips. She laughed at Zamira’s response, just enjoying the moments of closeness and satisfaction. Truthfully, she wasn’t hungry, and that was curious. The priestess’ blood still warmed her veins, and it was the only thing she had a taste for, but she resisted the urge to sample more when Zamira explained plans for the evening.

“Serve the Goddess again this evening?” Lily repeated, absently cupping the firm weight of Zamira’s breast, “I don’t get how you can keep up with it. But yeah, I supposed I can help out again.” The words were nonchalant, but desire built in the pit of her stomach at the thought. Craving it again, even as rough as it had gotten last night. “I suppose we can discuss bringing you back to the temple with Furtan before that, then.”

Gazing into Zamira’s eyes, Lily sighed happily, and pulled her into another kiss. Just as the kiss grew deeper and more interesting, Lily forced herself to pull away, pulling Zamira back up to her feet as well. Plenty of time for that, later tonight. “Come on, you do need to keep your strength up. And I can introduce you to the rest of the paladins here.”

“Hey, no need to tell me,” Eva giggled, pleased by the pressure of Mykel molded against her. Her arms went on top of his, enjoying the attention too much. It was hard to remember what she was so hurt over. “I’m not the one who spent last night with others. I was just alone in bed, burning for your touch. But I suppose I do need to spend some time establishing that you are mine.”

By now they had reach Reeve’s Bluff again, bustling with midday business “Shall we send word to the temple to send an Inquisition Mission here? Or are we traveling back to the temple, so your priestesses can study the doctrine?”

“The Thanked Tankard is good. Cheap, but comfy,” Cuthbert decided, reaching for Vera’s hand. It had the feel of a warrior’s hand, calloused from years of swordplay. Like her own, he supposed. Heavy boots thudded along the cobble stone` until they reached the inn.

The building was older, but not in bad shape. One of the few buildings that had stood before the Battle of Monsford, and hadn’t needed to be rebuilt. The roof had been patched a few years back, and the latest coat of paint wasn’t much older. Within, the furnishings showed their age, worn in and pleasant. Ida Ygrittasdottir tended the counter, the fourth generation to run it, and she welcomed them with a warm smile. “What can I do ya for?”

“Lodgings,” Cuthbert called, cognizant of the voice he projected. Dropping the coins in Ida’s hand, he returned her smile, “and perhaps some supper?”

“Got a couple rabbits on the fire now,” Ida advertised, pocketing the coins, “ have a seat, and I’ll bring them by with some carrots, when they are ready.” With a nodded, Cuthbert headed into the common room, still clutching Vera’s hand. Still getting used to this larger form, with thicker fingers. They sat against the wall, near the hearth.

“If I recall correctly,” Cuthbert mused, gazing over Vera’s fine, features, “The skull is about twice the size of a human’s, yes? Not something that could easily be smuggled in. But there is trade that comes through here, and could have rested comfortably in a crate.”

Despite the giddiness that accompanied the feeling of walking hand in hand with Eva, the question made him think. "We'll need to talk it over with everyone else, of course, but I'm in favor of taking them back to the Temple so they can study." He offered a thin, sour smile. "It'll also separate them from Furtan's influence. If he's being honest, the Inquisition will be able to discern that from their behavior - particularly after the influence of the drugs fades. And if not?" He shrugged. "They'll still be able to tell."

Nodding at the demon-blooded gate guards, he waited until they were well behind to continue. "We should also request an Inquisition Mission immediately. Let them investigate here, while the two priestesses are examined at the Temple." He considered that. "The three priestesses, perhaps, based on how Lily was behaving. And Zamira's a bit more senior, I think. It would be interesting to see what the Inquisition thinks of her, compared to Melinda and Cassandra."

Catching sight of a toad-like demon with an excess of multi-faceted eyes, Mykel cautiously steered the conversation to more innocuous topics. "For now, though? Let's go see how everyone is doing and start making plans. There's a lot to do and," he nodded slightly at the demon who was watching them curiously, "I'd like a bit of privacy. After all, you did spend the night alone. I should make that up to you, before we start talking about sharing or anything." He squeezed Eva's hand lightly. "Especially since they seem to have some ideas along those lines as well. They told me I should have brought you along, last night."

It took longer than expected to make it down the stairs to join the others, mostly because Zamira insisted on helping Lily dress. The act became a sort of 'reverse strip-tease', the priestess worshiping and exploring the Paladin's remaining exposed skin with every bit of clothing that covered a portion of her body. At the end, one hand slipped into Lily's trousers and teased her slick clit to orgasm as her other hand covered Lily's mouth, blood trickling down the Paladin's throat as both women shuddered in climax. Zamira had a little difficulty with the stairs after that, and gratefully sank onto a chair proffered by Cassandra - the junior priestess springing to her feet to help the senior.

"So," Anja drawled out, eyes flicking from Paladin to priestess and back. "Enjoy yourselves?" She signaled for a waiter. "I'm assuming you two finally need food more than fucking?" A chuckle escaped her, but her expression turned solicitous as she watched Zamira sway slightly in her seat. "Goddess, you look... unwell. Are you all right?"

"No, no," Melinda said, pushing a tankard of a steaming brown liquid over to the elder priestess. "She served, last night. She'll need rich foods to help rebuild her strength."

"Served?" Anja frowned. "Does that mean..."

"As the Vessel of the Goddess," Melinda said, watching Zamira lift the mug and sip at the beef broth within. "When the Fallen seek communion with Her, offering Her their adoration and receiving life from Her in return."

"Life." Anja's eyes narrowed slightly. "You mean, blood."

"Yes," Melinda and Cassandra both replied, as if it were perfectly obvious.

"The demons..." Anja began.

"The Fallen," Melinda corrected. "The lost, who seek a path to forgiveness."

"The Fallen, then. They... feed? On the priestess who serves as the Vessel of the Goddess?" Her lips compressed as all three priestesses nodded agreement. "That's... problematic."

Verrier - Vera - settled down comfortably, claiming the corner and leaning back against it. Her fingers remained tangled with Cuthbert's as she surveyed the room with interest. "Usually," she remarked, "I visit in the shape of an animal. A raven, or a cat. This is comfortable, I assume? Oh, and you're trying too hard." She glanced sidelong, lifting an eyebrow as she watched Cuthbert studying her features. "Your voice is already deeper in this form - your throat is different, after all. You sound like someone trying to disguise your voice."

“If I recall correctly,” Cuthbert mused after a moment, “The skull is about twice the size of a human’s, yes?"

"Yes." Vera mimed a shape with her hands, still holding Cuthbert's as she did. "About.... so large. I think. Honestly, I've never picked it up in a form like this. The scale feels wrong."

"Not something that could easily be smuggled in," Cuthbert continued. "But there is trade that comes through here, and could have rested comfortably in a crate.”

"A good thought. So all we need do is hunt down every merchant that has passed through Monsford in the past week, search their shipments, and make a dark legend of the punishments of the one who possesses the skull." She said it deadpan, and held the expression for several seconds before a rich, silvery laugh rang out. "No, I'm not serious. Not yet, anyway. An ordinary merchant - any ordinary human - who bore the skull without precautions would slowly be consumed by the power that resides within it. The results would be quite obvious."

She fell silent as Ida returned, bearing a platter with two spit-roasted rabbits and two tankards of foamy brown ale. "Here you go," their hostess, setting them down with a clatter of porcelain. "And your key - room's upstairs, last on the right." Hesitating, she glanced at them holding hands. "One room is right, yes? I'm not assuming..."

"One room is fine," Vera assured her with a grin. "It's not like we'll be sleeping much anyway." She ignored Ida's faint blush as she tore a leg off the rabbit and bit into it. "And this is magnificent. Thank you."

"Thank you," Ida replied, backing off and turning away.

Vera glanced at Cuthbert's expression. "What?" she said, teasingly. "It was a pure statement of fact. I don't actually sleep at all."

Eva wanted to daydream about Mykel’s suggestion, conjure up some ideas about how exactly he could make this up to her, but something about what he said didn’t sit right with her. They told me I should have brought you along, last night. Why? Purely attraction towards them, or something else?

“It’s almost like, they aren’t merely trying to convince us of their sincerity, but are trying to recruit us. Tempting us with pleasure." She murmured, flashing her gaze towards a slender demon with elongated human proportions. She clung a little vloser to Mykel and the demon looked away. "What use would Furtan have for paladin followers?”

By the time they arrived by in the dining room of the tavern, Zamira and Lily had joined the group. The tawny priestess looked two shades paler then she had when they arrived in town two days prior. Lily, on the other hand, had a healthy glow about her, red of cheek. Eva wondered if she shared her sibling’s secret.

Zamira’s state and Anja’s questioning made Lily feel uncomfortable. Guilty. Had she drained Zamira so? She tried to remember last night, focusing on the feeding rather than the fucking, but it was all still hazy. Many demons drank from Zamira last night, including herself, and just as many (possibly) had drank from her. Of course, she would recover better, given her paladin gifts. Or were her nephilim gifts responsible for that? Regardless, she could take on a greater burden of Zamira’s service, spare the lovely priestess, so she could indulge more herself. Blood or sex, Lily hadn’t yet decided.

"The Fallen, then. They... feed? On the priestess who serves as the Vessel of the Goddess?" Her lips compressed as all three priestesses nodded agreement. "That's... problematic."

“Is it?” Lily challenged, holding down her defensiveness. Clearing her throat, she tried again, “Demons do need to feed, after all. If humans agree to offer their blood, and no one is drained to death, is it so bad?”

“It’s dangerous Lily; you know this. Playing with fire. Demon’s are exactly known for self-restraint,” Anja argued.

“Perhaps not, but it’s possible they have learned. Adapted. Demon’s have been slain to dwindling numbers, and the Order is stronger than ever. If they didn’t discover a new way of subsiding, they would have been completely wiped out,” Lily pointed out.

Before Anja could respond, Eva and her brother returned, hand in hand and wearing silly smiles. Lily allowed herself a small chuckle, hiding the gesture under a sip of water. If visiting Reeve’s Buff finally got those two together, it couldn’t be all bad.

“Besides, some mortals enjoy being fed upon,” Cassandra mentioned casually. Lily felt herself blush then, and swore she saw the same hints of blush on Eva’s face.

“That’s a problem too, then. If the feeding is pleasure, is the recipient giving clear minded consent? Or are they getting caught up in the sensation?” Anja suggested.

“Oh, you’ve never don’t anything stupid because it felt good?” Melinda teased, raising her eye brow.

“It’s precisely because I have that I raise the objection,” Anja touted, arms crossed over her chest.

Goddess, Vera’s voice was so smooth and rich, skimming along his skin and causing the thicker, coarser hairs to stand up. His own felt akin to puberty, vacillating from squeaky to painfully deep. She had more experience like this, Cuthbert reasoned, but he was still caught off guard by her remark about not sleeping much, and nearly choked on his beer.

Ideas ripened on the edge of his mind, about taking Vera in this form, and her statement made the fantasy vivid, tingling on his skin. Of course, that wasn’t why they wore these forms, or why they had come here, and Cuthbert tried to redirect his mind back to the mystery at hand.

“The scent from the hoard was clearly demonic, so it stands to reason we are looking for a demon,” Cuthbert worked through out loud, aware of Vera’s proximity and trying to push it aside. “Demon merchants occasionally pass though, but don’t really stay long. Though it stands to reason that anyone who’d try to steal from you would try to get out of the ten Kingdoms as soon as possible.”

Mykel watched Lily’s reaction to Cassandra’s off-hand remark with interest. Interest, and a little concern. Because Zamira had reacted the same way, to the same comment. About feeding, something that had never come up before. Not regarding Lily, at least. She knew he did, because he’d told her about it. But he’d been conceived when their father was a demon, while Lily had been conceived after he had been redeemed. Neither of them had ever suspected she might possess the urge, or the fangs.

But then, angels and demons weren’t so different - a thing both of them had learned early, as they’d struggled with their half-celestial natures and powers. It shouldn’t be a surprise, not really. Did father still feed? He wasn’t sure he really wanted to ask, but he decided he needed to, “It’s a powerful temptation,” he finally said. “Both for the feeder and the, uhm... victim?”

“That’s not the biggest problem,” Anja said flatly. “Not with feeding on the blood of the Goddess in the Celebration.”

“It isn’t?” Melinda asked the question, echoing the one in the mind of Cassandra and - to be honest - Mykel. “What is, then?”

“The symbolism,” Anja explained. “The Goddess grants life and love. But drinking her blood...”. She shook her head. “It’s taking her blood. Taking Her life.”

“But The Goddess nurtures us,” Zamira counted. “The blade of of the Goddess, freely given, is a symbol of the love and life She grants. Particularly for Her lost children.” She offered a sweeping gesture, taking in the town. “Her lost children need blood to live, blood and the life it represents. What better symbolism of the forgiveness they seek than to be sustained by the life of the Goddess, as they will be when they are returned to Her in spirit and truth?”

“We offer ourselves to Her,” Anja shot back. “We offer our lives to Her. We do not live by taking Her life. You cannot...”

“Pass judgement on the validity of a heterodox belief or practice on your own,” Mykel interrupted, trying to forestall the growing argument. “Not a bless the practice is clearly abhorrent or blasphemous, and this doesn’t qualify. Not yet.”

Anja glared at him, then gritted her teeth. “You’re right, of course. I find it repugnant and heterodox, but it is not clearly a forbidden practice.” Her gaze was hard as she stared at Samura. “I will still argue against it.”

Zamira smiled easily. “As you wish, but remember: Afodisia is Lady of Love and War both.”

“And...?” Anja prompted.

Zamira’s smile was equally fierce. “And I don’t back down. Not easily.”

“Anyone who would try to steal from me,” Vera last ghee, cracking a leg bod to suck out the marrow, “should understand that there would be no sanctuary from my wrath. Not in this world, not in the heavens or the hells, not even in the shells of the Qlippoth.” Her tongue worked almost by the groove in the bone, freeing the last of the marrow. “And the terror of my vengeance would be a proverb among all nations.” She tossed down the bone and tore free the other leg. “Clearly, this thief is either a cop - which I do not believe, as no fool would successfully have taken the skull - or believes herself protected by an alliance with some other power.”

Tearing my roast my score from bone with white teeth, she smiled without humor. “A Paladins n, for example. Which is why we have called here first.” She swallowed, then cracked the bone with her teeth. “I doubt we will find it here, though. Not among your Paladins, at least. There are Gods who would violate our truce, but she is not one of them.”

Sucking noisily on the bone, Vera thought. “We will search the thief out in Reeve’s Bluff, next. From there, passage may be had to the Isles of the Veiled Whisperer.”

Back
Top Bottom