Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Forgotten Realms (Pathfinder) OOC Chat

Well I'm glad to see that things are getting smoothed out!

I have a few things for you all to go over that concern the direction and purpose of this role-play.
  • The purpose of this role-play is to explore the interactions of a diverse adventuring band that will have differing backgrounds and moralities.
  • When it comes to morality I am not going to restrict people from what they want to create as a character. But do keep in mind that the group as well as NPCs might react rather negatively to certain actions, such as wanton killing of innocents and similar actions.
  • There will not be any alignment restrictions for characters. However your character's actions will have consequences, so keep this in mind.
  • I do not want to see PvP fighting occurring at any point. I would rather have the characters work out their differences in other ways so that they might accomplish their mutual goals.
  • As far as sex is concerned, I don't want this RP to be all about smut. I will have specific times at which sexual content is acceptable, such as when the group is camped or at an inn. When it is acceptable to RP sexual content I will post a notification in the RP itself, likely at the beginning of one of my own posts.
  • Also, all sexual encounters must have consent from the character's player.
  • Any sexual encounters will be entirely free form. That means that there will not be rolls associated with sex.
  • Dialogue and character interactions within the party are also going to be much more free form. On occasion I will ask for rolls, but not often.
  • As you might surmise from the above two points, I do not want the RP to get bogged down by an excessive amount of rolling.

Concerning the theme of the RP, I'm wanting to stick to something a bit more classical D&D. The group will be encountering a challenge and will have to band together to overcome it. As far as motivations are concerned some might do it out of the goodness of their hearts, others for money, some because they have no alternative if they want to survive. I want to have differences in the group, as those also create a strength.

When it comes to the plot right now I am not going to reveal what the overall plot arc will be. I kind of want to see what direction all of you go on your own with some direction and prompting from me. Really there are a few different ways I can see the plot going, but I do not want to shoehorn you all into a story line that might not be one you all enjoy. Having said all of that I have chosen a starting point for the RP. All of you will be beginning in the small village of Sourbar. Please don't go reading into the details overly much, as I'll be customizing the village a bit to my own tastes. But considering the different areas that everyone's characters will be from, I think that will be a good starting point for us. As for the year, our RP will be taking place in 1372 DR.

Any questions? Concerns?

Can we have a "Prelude" thread set up so that those of us starting together can get some pre-game chatting done? I assume you'd want to see this, rather than just doing this in PMs. I know, for example, that Tenshi and I, and hGG and Khan plan on 'bundled starting concepts.

I will consider it. If we go that route I would want the events to take place a month or so before the main quest. My main concern is that people would go digging for XP, which would not be the purpose of a prelude thread. If we do make one it will simply be to provide background.

Perhaps Talinda, Lyre, Armine, and Horatio make up one starting group and Kelman, Beldar, and Sune'lel make up the other group? That leaves out lilithsboy's char, but I've not seen a char sheet for the witch yet or any background so we can add that in as needed, perhaps have him already there.

I'm not trying to get two separate stories going, but it's easier to merge two groups than to herd together 7 different characters.

Like trying to herd various cats soaked in tuna oil, that have heard a vacuum close by, and can see a place they can perch on to look down at everything else from?

All that sounds good to me Rivine - not sure if seperate parties are needed, while it is hopeful that everyone will stay around and partake PbP games tend to have some drop off in my experience so having everyone together might be easier (depending on how Rivine sees it starting).

I would think diceless prelude RP would be harmless - characters chatting on an uneventful road, drinking in a tavern etc.

dancrilis said:
I would think diceless prelude RP would be harmless - characters chatting on an uneventful road, drinking in a tavern etc.

Roll the dice to see if I'm getting drunk! (Sorry, was unable to pass up both a classic reference and a playful jab at diceless RP)

Well I'm slowly catching up with all of you in the character department. Finally getting more down for my own fellow! Here is the nuts and bolts of his character sheet so far.

That dwarf's attributes aren't very dwarf-like! He and Kelman will definitely get along.

They certainly are not! His family were traveling merchants and craftsfolk. So rather than being raised in a dwarven stronghold he was exposed to a variety of cultures and peoples while he was growing up. That helped to shape him quite a bit.

Everything looks good to me too Rivine :) as well as both suggestions of making a prelude, though I would like some occasional roll some times

Hi lilithsboy just to point out Calistria is not a Forgotten Realms deity, there is no real direct comparison deity that I can think of - but Beshaba might suit your needs thematically if you feel you suffered from poor luck, or if wanted to stick to the elven pantheon than Fenmarel Mestarine or Shevarash might suit.

The only issue is that there is no forgotten realm pathfinder list (though there is a 3.5 list). So I had to pick one or the other so i went deities in the system rather than in the setting.

Could you switch to setting? Locations in the setting are tied to certain deities, after all.

If everyone would use the setting dieties it would be appreciated. We are using Pathfinder for the system, but Forgotten Realms for the setting.

No harm in offering prayers to multiple gods (no point in offer a god of love prayers when you what success in battle) - but you should pick a formal patron, being branded faithless or false will make your afterlife unpleasant (and makes resurrection difficult or impossible).

Your character Hyborian Gamergirl might suit Sehanine Moonbow, Mystra is kindof human (in a if this is post time of troubles your character is almost certainly older than the god and your whole elven superiority might chafe with that) ... but again respect where it is due.

Sehanine's dogma might also suit you:
Life is [a] series of mysteries whose secrets are veiled by the Luminous Cloud. As the spirit transcends its mortal bounds and new mysteries are uncovered, a higher form is achieved and the cycle of life continues. Through contemplation and meditation, communion with the Lady of Dreams is achieved. Through dreams, visions, and omens revealed in sleep or the reverie, the Daughter of the Night Sky unveils the next step along the path and the next destination on the endless journey of mystic wonder that is life and death and life.

The bolded bit might suit your characters idea of research.

dancrilis said:
Your character Hyborian Gamergirl might suit Sehanine Moonbow, Mystra is kindof human (in a if this is post time of troubles your character is almost certainly older than the god and your whole elven superiority might chafe with that) ... but again respect where it is due.

Just because I already made the same assumption, Mystra's death and replacement is not common knowledge, only the highest priests. Kelman doesn't know about it, either, despite his religious studies. It is known that Helm defeated her in 1358, but not that she actually died.

That might... though one thing. She would actually be a mixture of both jealous and impressed by the post Time of Troubles Mystra, as hey, she would see that as a kind of ultimate success story, going from a mere human to a goddess. Because strictly from a 'they can crush you like a little speck' viewpoint, she respects all gods regardless of their alignment. Common sense after all.

But still, might do that, and might look over the other Elvish deities.

kckolbe said:
Just because I already made the same assumption, Mystra's death and replacement is not common knowledge, only the highest priests. Kelman doesn't know about it, either, despite his religious studies. It is known that Helm defeated her in 1358, but not that she actually died.

Are you sure?

I am going off Faiths and Pantheons and it indicates the following: 15th day of Marpenoth is celebrated as the date of the ascension of the current Mystra from her mortal form, and both new and old symbols are still in use - and older clerics of the LN version are still welcomed.
The date element of that can also be seen here: 15th day of Marpenoth

Not saying it is known but if it is not it is certainly news to me.

Okay, gonna let Rivine weigh in, cause I may have misunderstood what he said.

Back
Top Bottom