Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Forgotten Realms (Pathfinder) OOC Chat

Looks grand to me (beard is a bit short but to each there own :) ).

On positive and negative energy:
Innerplanes.jpg

From this the positive energy plane is closer to the cosmic good planes and the negative closer to cosmic evil planes (where the elemental planes are equal).

This could explain why evil clerics have a harder times with manipulating the positive energy plane than good ones.

Wow, that's definitely interesting, and makes sense. By the way, anyone interested in having known Kelman some time in the past? Being tiefling, he's pretty old, and could have met someone while studying magic, religion, or hunting undead.

Looks like a fairly young dwarf to me.

Also, isn't the general planar map said to be a major oversimplification, and not actually like that, but rather is as close to an abstract understanding as can be easily envisioned?

Please note, my objections are less on the morality, and more annoyance that negative energy and undeath are considered the entire scope and depth of necromancy.

Might be a major oversimplification (would have to be as merely spacial travel will not take you to another plane), but if it is representative at all it would mean that the positive and negative planes are more associated with morality than might otherwise have been believed.

For the scope of necromancy I kindof agree with you - evocation is not all about the plane of fire for instance - but there are exceptions within Necromancy for example the subschool of Life.
But most spells (but not all) do have a thematically 'evil' feel.

Not sure if Lel would have had time to meet Kelman in there general history (I decided for her story and the fact that her celestial was well in the past to have her reach maturity as a human) - but he might have studied with Harmonious Order at some point so they might have met with she was with one of her mentors.

On horses I did buy a (non-combat) light horse and saddlebags for carrying stuff - could make some use of him but saddlebags don't really hold a lot.

I vote for "Grant Theft: Horse" or maybe Chariot.

A wagon costs 35gp
A donkey or mule costs 8gp
A light horse costs 75gp
A heavy horses costs 200gp

I'll happily shell out to buy 2x wagon, 2x light horse, and then 1x mule. But be warned, it'll all smell of tea. In fact, that may be the reason I'm going adventuring! Delivering Tea to far-flung parts of the world.

One light horse can drag 2,250 lb
One wagon weighs 400lb, and contains up to 4,000lbs.
That means I can accommodate... er... 1,850lb worth of stuff per wagon.

And for flavour (both metaphorically and literally), I'll spend the rest of my cash on tea. Assuming it to be about 1gp per lb (like Cinnamon), meaning I'll have...

300lb of tea. i am going to be so happy if we find a giant hot-water lake.

Well here is a rather simplified version of the cosmology of the Forgotten Realms planes.

latest

The main thing there is that there isn't a constant link from the Positive and Negative planes to the Celestial or Fiendish ones. So hypothetically positive energies can be used to do damage to creatures, but this will be something I'll have to do a bit of digging on.

My dwarf is going to be a bit on the younger side, but he is first level. Also, he'll have lived around humans and other races a fair bit, so the beard length will be dictated a fair bit by his exposure to other cultures.

As for the wagon, do keep in mind that the characters will be meeting for the first time off the start, unless some of you work out other arrangements for background.

Shall admit, looking forward to the overload effect, and if I'm able to do it... or just some extremely nasty positive energy based necromancy spells. Again, not done due to wanting to raise legions of the dead and march somewhere, as that is cliche and the paperwork takes too much time that could be spent doing more productive things, but just to prove an academic point. On the other hand, for overloading, you need to heal to to twice their maximum HP (20 if they normally have 10 for example) before they explode.

And fair enough for the cart. Mostly, just looking for somewhere portable that she can store her equipment and money, as she wears as little as possible.... entirely by choice.

There are already some exploding spells, one at least that I recall and that's an Evocation spell. Really the source of the energy matters less in my opinion. Mostly it would be about overloading their physical form to the point that the magical energies being poured into them cannot be contained.

It seems a really odd way to kill people. The answer is SO emo - cut yourself. If used offensively, it'd mean that the rest of us would have to not attack (because, you know, we'd be removing those temporary HP). And you appear to resist this with a Fort check.

It seems to me, though, that this is rather like Channel Energy (Su). You could just... you know... go play a cleric ;)

Yes, but again, positive energy necromancy to prove a point, coming from an academic wizarding perspective. Would Lyre use the spells often, or beyond a few trials? Probably not. However, as a wizard, her only real restriction to learning spells is how many spell-books she wants to fill up. So, she'll make her purely academic point.... and then move onto the next interesting research project.

i would really rather not be around when you detonate Daisy the Cow, or start rooting around for corpses. Yes, interesting intellectual exercise, but one that's liable to attract mobs with pitchforks. Please don't. I have six HP and can't wear armour. I can be one-shot-ed by Angry Jim the Dairy Farmer :(

.... Why would I be rooting around for corpses, or experimenting on livestock? It's hardly like there's a shortage of goblins or orcs after all :-/ Heck, in a pinch, bandits would do just as well!

Actually, I couldn't care less if they registered as good or evil aligned. They are just the culturally and socially acceptable targets for blatant racism and extermination with few questions asked.

mystictiger said:
Come and hang out with the cool kids in Waterdeep, Kelman!
Who all is starting in Waterdeep? Is it okay to change origin locations after announcing the decision? Waterdeep is a large city with a dwarf population, so it meets my requirements.

Hyborian Gamergirl said:
Also, been thinking of buying a wagon... if we are traveling together, anyone want to pool resources into a wagon and mules/draft horses?
Yeah, sure. I won't have much to kick in, but I can do that.

dancrilis said:
Not sure if Lel would have had time to meet Kelman in there general history (I decided for her story and the fact that her celestial was well in the past to have her reach maturity as a human) - but he might have studied with Harmonious Order at some point so they might have met with she was with one of her mentors.
Kel and Lel (wow) have similar lifespans (Tiefling and Aasimar). I'll look up Harmonious Order (still catching up on the lore, but I have picked his main deities).

mystictiger said:
And for flavour (both metaphorically and literally), I'll spend the rest of my cash on tea. Assuming it to be about 1gp per lb (like Cinnamon), meaning I'll have...

300lb of tea. i am going to be so happy if we find a giant hot-water lake.
Beautiful idea.

Hyborian Gamergirl said:
.... Why would I be rooting around for corpses, or experimenting on livestock? It's hardly like there's a shortage of goblins or orcs after all :-/ Heck, in a pinch, bandits would do just as well!
Pick a target with a penalty to Constitution. Easier to overload.

I don't know goblins, orcs and bandits surely deserve the respect and dignity of all life and a chance to mend there ways (subjected to the law in the area they are operating in).

Well yes but of course. They are being subject to a work release program that furthers magical knowledge. If they survive three rounds of testing, they get let go! Until they get caught again of course.

Well a work release program might work where they have commited some offence (subject to local laws) - but humane treatment and care would likely be minimum standards for any civilised person.

...... Okay, so don't let the Paladin find out about it, got it. Don't worry, nothing is going on or happening, and I have no idea about any prisoners that I could have been in a position to acquire ;)

True, true, and as they are evil anyway, you won't be in violation of your code of conduct! Plausible deniability, the key to maintaining most class features,

Ah, okay then. Really, it was a joke. For the most part, the trials would consist of the spells in wand, scroll or staff form, and then casting it on those that are attacking us.

Back
Top Bottom