Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Forgotten Realms (Pathfinder) OOC Chat

If this is supposed to be an evil game, I could build a leacherous cleric--of Bane or Talos--who ravishes barmaids and collars enemy girls, but I'd really rather play a heroine.

And even if I we are playing an evil game, the stench of rotting zombies is quiete an anti aphrodesiac. If you want artificial minions, it's a bit more of an investment but I'm qiuete fond of constructs. Clerics of gond can do a lot with clockwork men in full plate and the Animate Object template. A wizard can start building them by level 5, too.

...... Why would I be messing around with the undead? Seriously, my entire delving into necromancy would be on the positive energy aspects/variations that would not even approach undead creation, as my pet peeve is that necromancy has become dumbed down and oversimplified to nothing more then undead minion creation.

No worries. Such is life really.

And, on the minion front, was wondering if I could figure out some arcane versions of a handful of druid spells.... but have the cravat of only being able to cast them as part of the Grow Plant Creature feat rituals? Mostly, as I'm enjoying the thought of a rose bush that sprays intruders with something that gives them a rash in their pants.

Why are you withdrawing? Seriously, I can tone it down, for the most part, my character just likes to do oddball research projects, with little concern if they are entirely moral or ethical... though she does stay away from some areas.

I think we simply have different expectations / types of game we enjoy. For me, D&D is brain candy cliche. What do I mean by this? Good-aligned parties, being Noble, Heroic, Brave and so on. The kind of thing that fills fantasy movies from the 90s. The moment I feel the need to tell other people how to play is the time I should back away. The desire to be a wizard-cleric-necromancer-druid-slaver isn't how I see the Forgoiten Realms. Conan certainly, White Wolf absolutely. For me, enjoyment comes from trying to be creative within the confines of the genre. Trying to make Geisha work for me was a fun challenge - how to make a concept that fits within the rules and the spirit of the setting, even down to justifying mechanics that make no sense from an In Universe / setting perspective.

In short, we have different styles. Have fun!

My view is on the research aspects actually, and I see the wizard as the the magical scientist/researcher to be honest. For Lyre, the idea is less about being any one particular thing. She may dabble in some branches of necromancy, while considering others to be crass and too annoying to deal with, but she would be more focused on the nature of negative and positive energies, and if she comes up with a few spells from it? Thats a bonus.

The druidic aspect, actually comes from the fact that the rituals to awaken the plant creatures from the Grow Plant creature feat require druid spells, but the requirements for the feats can be taken by anyone with the right skills. So, my plan was for that she might do some research, but she would probably be forced to give up, but have some notes somewhere on the nature of gardening and trying to animate plants... and some snarky comments about those damn druids hogging all the fun rosebushes.

As for slaving? Already said, she will not be a slaver in the traditional sense, as in she will not take the unwilling. She will not lie, and she will not force herself on those that are her companions. She may give their family gifts to allow her to take the person, but only with that persons consent, and she would also give them an education. And as the group goes up in level and deeds, if they wish to leave, will give them a letter of recommendation to wherever they wish to go.

For researching the Undead and positive energy - well for what you are talking about this seems to be the only reference to how you are seeing this work that exists outside of the Positive Energy plane - it is possible that outside of that plane the body naturally rejects additional energy (so fireballs of positive energy would not work) and it only causes overloads there as the energy can't dissipate. Where the undead being unnatural can pervert the natural flow and cause a positive feedback loop.

I can appreciate it from an academic standpoint and could see a Thayan Necromancer exploring in a lab for decades .. but I am not sure whether adventuring will leave a lot of time for fine research - and at a practical level it seems somewhat meaningless for the most part, lets say the caster gives a creature +90% health before they are knocked out in whatever way than everyone else has to deal with a much more tougher creature (and that ignores the GM using research failures as story hooks - i.e a self resurrecting mishap for whatever enemy we have).

Happy gaming mystictiger - for me I do see Forgotten Realms as having the option to be fairly dark, one of my only hangups in gaming is absurdity (for example obvious metagaming - this should kill me but the GM will save me so yets do it).

True enough... meaning that she would have to abandon that particular branch of her research, or at the least shelve it for when she has a few decades to just work on it in some out of the way lab. But, for her, the true joy is in the research, the study, the prying of secrets from the very weave of magic.... and then publishing some of her works to some humans for profits so she can dress some pretty boys and girls in silk throngs ^-^

HGG,

It isn't just the experimentation, though. Both Tenshi and I have expressed discomfort on the BDSM emphasis you've stressed since the interest check. Concerns have been raised by 3 different players on multiple occasions, and not once have you seemingly thought "maybe this is too much." A player has left, and another has TWICE publicly mentioned considering it, and these have all been a direct result of your comments.

Every time someone speaks up (beginning with the concerns on playing an evil char), you very briefly backpedal, then IMMEDIATELY return to the tone you had just said you weren't really pursuing. You've treated us dismissively consistently through the interest check and the OOC.

I'm not bowing out, as I feel the group offers a lot of potential, but I would ask you to go back through these two threads and note the number and nature of concerns raised at your remarks and your reaction to them. Consider if maybe you've been a bit selfish and/or insincere. Please reevaluate what you think the goals of *group* RPs are versus those of a one on one.

I am sorry to do this publicly, but this has gotten to be too big to simply change the subject to something constructive, as I attempted last time. I don't want you to leave. You have a rare combination of creativity and respect for the game, and that is something that brings energy to a group.

I don't think it's healthy to continue this discussion in the OOC, though it would be hypocritical to mandate an end to this discussion even if I were the one with the authority to make that call. So, I'll ask that you end it here and abandon your focus of making the PCs your slaves, but I will fully deserve any response you aim at me, and if you choose to do so, I will do my best not to escalate again.

In fairness to Hyborian Gamergirl on the PC companion/slave thing that seems to be an acceptable agreement between them and khan - and I wouldn't want to infringe on them on that. For my own character where Hyborian Gamergirl has suggested it I suspect she would have no luck but I have no issue with the role playing piece of it (magically enforcement might be a different matter - but even than I normally take the game world as it comes, but she would likely leave the group after that - depending on what happens).

But I do think before we know how we will act in game and what the focus is that we will need Rivine to set out the starting point.

Ah, the most I've thought of doing it with PC's is a joke about the Paladin, and then Khan made the offer. At the most, I'll flirt, but I'm not going to be touching the other players. Even then, all my remarks about 'companions', or if you want to use a more recognized noble term 'ladies'-in-waiting (as Lyre will not take into account little issues like gender), are directed towards NPC's, and may fall into followers from the Leadership feat, or just some contacts she makes over time.

I would like to apologize for any discomfort, and I welcome any blunt criticism, as I cannot tell if I have gone to far. This is because I don't really understand how other people feel. I can tone things down, but I can get carried away, and tend to rely on post-it notes to remind me of things I should avoid talking/typing about.

So, summing it up. Not looking to enslave the other party members. Any references, unless I'm mentioning someone in particular, will be directed towards NPC's. I may engage in some questionable research, but will NOT experiment on any prisoners. Also, I was never going to be going the undead creation route in the first place.

Also, on enchantment spells. I'm only going to use those in combat and against hostile targets. Or at the least, anything that would make you uncomfortable.

So. I'm having second thoughts about walking out. I find this link to be particularly instructive for me as to how to how to RP and think about how to interact.

Just to be clear, I don't object to darker themes in the right context. I very much like emotional tension in the right context (see Dark Ages Vampire, for example!), but had approached FR D&D as being a little less sophisticated. As I read back what I've written, I realise I'm coming across as some kind of elitist-jerk-RP-communist! I really don't intend that.

So, without further waffling, two questions that I'd like us to think about:

Theme & Tone
What kind of tone are we aiming for? Something 4-colour heroic? Something that you might describe as "fantasypunk" with no absolute morality, or something in between?

I'll admit that I'm kind of leery of CN alignment. In my experience, it ends up being 'fish-malk'. Not of course that I'm some paragon of RP, mind you. It's just kind of hard to come up with a premise that ties LG with CN. I can't remember where I read it, but the "one alignment step" model has worked for me and groups in the past. That is, we agree on the party alignment, and then can take alignments within one step of it (for example, NG means alignments are LG, NG, CG, TN).

In terms of tone, the obvious 'types' to me are the various comic book 'ages'. I tend to think of D&D in Golden and Silver age terms. But more generally I love me Steel / Iron-age plots. Punisher > Daredevil.

Group Premise
yes, this is D&D. And the "you all meet in the pub" is a genre-standard cliche. But I like a little more depth. Yeah yeah - I'm an oWoD gamer - I like me depth and stuff. I roleplay because I like telling stories with others. I was about to say "What great story begins with the heroes meeting in a pub?" And... then someone linked me Han Solo's first appearance in Star Wars on an entirely unrelated note.

There. That's the end of my pretentious ramblings. You all strike me as creative, interesting people, and I hope we can get things moving!

I should mention that I'm willing to change to C/NG... with a few oddball/less then moral tendencies. Overall, my view of Lyre is that she is a bit too sheltered and self-centered to really be good aligned, but at the same time, she does hold to a moral and ethical code that keeps her from being evil... though from time to time she will tease the more stright-laced party members and moaning briefly about lost research options... while not really ever doing more then giving a token resistance in the first place.

On Theme and Tone - I am not really in favour of restricting alignments (was dubious about going with a paladin for just that reason as it prevents 5th level evil characters or low level ones from some classes).
I do prefer the game to be at least somewhat serious about actions having consequences - killing a red dragon that demands a sacrifice every year might be Good but the consequences might be terrible (other dragons raze the area as they concern themselves with short lived assassins, orcs who previously wouldn't enter the area for fear not raid the countryside etc), and also character rather than story focused (the story is important but the character's journeys should be equally so at least).

I don't think CN needs to necessarally be problematic (any more than LG needs to automatically mean a rogue can never steal stuff ar attack from behind) but CN is often played that way (just like CE is played as actually insane by a lot of people), played to be distruptive any alignment can be a headache in any group (and played without being distruptive any can be fine in any group).

For the group premise I think this depends on how Rivine intends to run it - we might be all strangers who have been hired seperately and happen to be thrown together by circumstances or we could agree on a collective backstory the likes of:
The group came together when rats and dire rats infested a tavern they were staying in during there travels spreading filth fever to the community - finding the nest and an insane druid they brought them to justice/were forced to kill them, having worked together well they choose to travel onwards as a group.

Not particularly original but indicates that we don't know each other well while knowing we can rely on others.

I would also say we shouldn't get too attached to our characters - for example it is possible that Sune'lel will not fall but that the rest of the group might begin to engage in actions that she can not stand over, if I am not willing to have her fall/change as I don't see it as appropriate for her given how I am playing her it is up to me to have her leave and if acceptable to the group generate a character than might suit better (it is important to seperate character conflict from player conflict).

Well, Khans character and mine would be traveling together, both as a bodyguard and traveling companion. As for joining up with the rest of the party, for the most part, if things happen that throw them together, she will laugh a little, and then she will stick around for various reasons. Sune'lel? To tease her and drag her along to various 'fun' activities to tempt her about that pesky oath of chastity, but will just pout a bit and roll her eyes if she says no. Talinda? A cleric means that she would have knowledge and sources of information gathering that I do not, and would have fun dragging her along with Sune'lel and Armine to girls nights and pampering. Kelman? Teasing him a bit about the exploration into the energy aspects of necromancy, but again, mostly just teasing.

Some of her spell-research? I'm going to ask if it would be possible for her to make prototype scrolls that other classes would be able to learn from, even if she would not be able to use them herself? Because one idea that comes to mind is just passing them a scroll and asking them to 'try it out', or for her to research custom spells, prayers, whatever the party needs in the downtime.

For the most part, I've actually tried to make her come across as somewhat sheltered, and she would actually be meaning to help... but she has been living in an ivory tower and comes from a culture that promotes elven supremacy, which she has picked up on. So she comes across as somewhat condescending. At the same time, I'm going to limit it to NPC's for the most part... particularly after a while and she accepts the others as equals/near equals... though she reserves full equal status for spellcasters.

Um I'm ok with changing Armine's alignment from CN to CG as well if we go for one step within party alignment.

And guess that would be all that's left, oh and my equipment but waiting on Rivine for that ^^

[T]he "one alignment step" model has worked for me and groups in the past. That is, we agree on the party alignment, and then can take alignments within one step of it (for example, NG means alignments are LG, NG, CG, TN).

I currently have Kelman as LN, which is heavily tied to the deities that he most closely follows (I did a write-up on them in my char sheet). I wouldn't be willing to change that, though I don't see LN as being too incompatible, despite technically being 2 steps from NG. Maybe just have LG, LN, NG, CG, and N as acceptable alignments? That allows a lot of different personalities and value systems without having any opposites, which I feel is what matters.

Sheltered is a very sensible trait for academic types. I did the same for Kelman, taking the flaw as well for it. Not sure what you mean by prototype scrolls. Do you mean taking a spell that both arcane and divine can cast, but scribing it as a divine spell instead of arcane? That seems harmless, provided the DC/time to scribe is increased a bit. For what it's worth, I plan on Kelman's Use Magic Device bonus being pretty solid from 5th level on, so he will be able to handle scrolls and wands reliably enough (which shouldn't even be needed, really, lots of magic in this group).

More like she would make a spell for another class entirely, that she cannot learn at all... but for her, the interesting thing will be in making the spell, not in casting it... and she would have it in notes somewhere in her library.

And might switch one of her flaws with Sheltered actually, as Power-Hungry drives her research, and she is a shameless hedonist, maybe less vain? Eh, only mechanics :p

Bah. Now I really regret deleting Horatio. I'll have to go remake him.

Also, thank you all for being so constructive and open to my pretentious rambling.

Back
Top Bottom