Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Snow-covered Boughs IC (D&D 5e, closed group)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We aren't going to outrun them," Jen says, still concentrating on her spell. "They're faster than we are, and they know this land. Things are looking grim."

Another series of howls goes up as you debate. These ones sound even closer; it seems like they'll be on top of you any moment.

Hanna

She nodded grimly "true - well guess no empire for me", looking at the other two with a smile "if either of you have any healing you can part with I would appreciate it - other than that get out of here, I will hold them as long as I can. Hopefully leave them damaged enough to rethink pursuing you two", removing her axe again looked towards where the howls seemed to be coming from "if ye have any cleaning magic maybe use it to help prevent them smelling ye out if ya need to hide in a tree".

Jen steps forward, her hands glowing with divine magic. "Here-let me Lay on Hands," she says, placing her hands over the wounds the barbarian has accrued. "Thank you, Hanna-may the gods be with you,"

OOC-Heal Hanna as much as needed, up to 15 HP.

Hanna

"Well hopefully they will play with me - rather than be stealthy, might challange for chieften status" she half joked half provided herself with hope that they might honour nothern ways.

Reaching out she clasped Jennifers shoulder "thank you - you have been a friend, protect Nicole" she smiled to the mage giving her a warm hug and tussling her hair, before her face became grim again.

"You should both run now - live your lives well" there was a hint of an order in her voice.

OOC: she taked the full 15 bringing her to 33.

Jen looks at Nicole, saying "Run ahead of me-I'm better protected than you are," and, with the amge setting off ahead of run, proceeds to run.

Hanna

Considering her options she reluctantly put her great axe away and drew her handaxe and shield - this was not a fight she could defeat her enemies in, winning her was lasting as long as possible and thatn meant defence.

"Hazel Eyes - I have put away the big axe" she bellowed into the darkness "I know your scared of it, I will finish you with a small one fit for a pup like you" she mocked, as she began to make her way towards where she thought the howls were coming from.

"And Blue Eyes how about it, as you can talk - a parley? lets see what you and yours want" her voice set to carry "perhaps a real alpha? I am available for that if you are up for the challange?" she let our a laugh after that "or scared of one northern tribes woman - that why you all fled south I suppose?".

She had grown up on stories of these wolves - and had spent the last day worrying about them, there was no way she would let them think she was scared of them now at the end.

"Don't be so quick to run to your death, dara" comes a strangely-accented masculine voice from right behind you.

Out of the trees, his movements nearly silent, steps a man clad in finely worked hides and furs, a bow held at his side. At first sight, he looks human, his dark tan skin and black hair suggestive of Kith heritage, but on closer inspection, he's far thinner under his clothes than most, almost to the point of malnutrition. His features are a little unusual, too, his brown eyes just a bit bigger than normal, and his whole face rather effeminate. One thing in particular explains the oddities: his pointed ears. It seems the man is an elf, a rare encounter.

"They won't be reaching here, don't worry," he continues. "Twenty hunters are ready to meet them. They won't fight those odds." An amused half-smile touches his face. "I've been told to bring you back alive. Won't do to have you eaten."

Hanna

She turned at the voice - her mind taking a while to transition from facing her death to realising that she was not in fact on that path any longer.

She vaguely remembered meeting elves before when she was high and rented for occassions, but whether they were cruel of kind or like humans a mix she could not recall.

The language on the other hand she did, many a nobel wished to have their whore mutter nothings in their ears using the elvan language - it had been lessons she had been expected to learn along with some other languages.

Dipping into the true depths of her rage tired her own immensely or her witty banter might have been better, as it was she could barely focus past practicalities "my friends are in the forest still - I won't be going anywhere without them" fixing him with a cautious eye "and I won't be going anywhere without knowing who sent you to collect me", had she been in a clearer mind she might not have looked a gift elf in the mouth - but she was tired and hungry and had her heroic death stolen from her after committing mentally to it. In short she was cranky.

Hanna

The elf looks quite surprised when you switch languages, but happily so. "Right, your friends," he replies in kind. "I sent someone to go get them when I saw them run off. Assuming they cooperate, they should be back in just a moment. I'd rather wait until we have all of you to explain, so I don't have to repeat myself, but don't worry, we don't want any trouble. Unless that's what you came here for," he adds, "but if it was, I'm guessing you'd already be trying to kill me." He hardly seems perturbed, the same smile still on his face.

Jennifer and Nicole

You hardly have the chance to leave Hanna behind before a humanoid figure suddenly steps out of the trees into your path. Though the shadows make it hard to discern detail at this distance, you can tell that they're small and lightly built, and clearly see the bow they carry (happily not aimed at you).

"Wait!" the stranger calls out in a melodious feminine voice, colored by a heavy accent you can't place. "Don't run. Your friend, safe. My friends, help her." She stumbles over the common tongue, missing words obscuring her meaning, but the basics are clear enough.

Jennifer, recognizing the slender frame of an elf, calls out in Elvish. "We'll go with you-but we're going to keep our guard up. I apologize for the precaution," she says, "but I don't trust anything from this forest quite yet."

Hanna

"Hmph" she muttered "no I am wandering through white wolf infested woods late at night because I think it is a pleasant way to spend the evening before bed" quirking an eyebrow "who would have thought trouble might occur", shrugging "though I suppose want might be putting it a bit heavily".

She signed and fixed him with a look before running her hand through her hair "look - thanks for helping out, I am grateful. It is just that giving into the deepest part of the warriors rage takes a lot out of me" she offered by way of explanation that no one except another berserker would likely understand.

Extending her hand "Hanna berserker of the Snow Tiger Tribe" offering a weak smile "I would at least have your name if while we wait".

While she spoke she gauged him as a warrior - his stance, the location of his weapons for access etc, and also as a humaniod, she had in her life been called elfin - and her was the origin of the word.

Hanna

The elf looks puzzled for a second, then grins broadly and laughs. *I guess I should say trouble with us,* he concedes. *Sorry, I couldn't tell you were being sarcastic for a second. It's a tough language for outsiders to pick up.* He accepts your hand, his grip light. *I'm Lenthir, First Hunter of Galana.* That particular phrase is unfamiliar, but you can tell the First Hunter part sounds like a title of some kind.

Jennifer and Nicole

The stranger visibly starts to hear the elven language. *You speak the Old Tongue?* she calls back likewise, sounding relieved. *Good, I'm terrible in anything else. Can you translate to your friend? Tell her the other hunters are driving off the wolves?*

I'm gonna mark dialogue in Elven with asterisks instead of quotation marks. Putting it in spoilers would make it really awkward to work into paragraphs. Illven, as the only one who doesn't speak it, can I trust you not to use information conveyed in Elven until someone translates?

*Alright,* Jen says. "Nicole, they're driving off the wolves. I think they're trustworthy, but keep your guard up all the same-I don't always have the best instincts."

Hanna

*True enough*, she shrugged *frankly I am kindof suprised that I can speak it well enough to be understood, general conversation was secondary to* she paused *well lets just say other conversation* might as well try a bit of mystery she figured *it is good to practice*.

*Regardless well met Lenthir, I am unfamiliar with the word Galana and the title First Hunter - would First Hunter mean chieften in the common tongue and Galana be your tribe?* she asked, *we may as well start walking towards the others*, if they were under attack and the elf was stalling she wanted to know. Perhaps the elves were the wolves - the thought struck her darkly.

Nicole raises her staff defensively.

"How many of them are there? How many wolves?" She asks Jen.

Hanna

*Yeah, good idea,* Lenthir nods, beckoning and setting off to follow Jen and Nicole's footprints in the snow. *Galana is our tribe, yeah,* he explains as you walk. *I'm not a chieftain or anything, though, just the leader of our hunters. Siani is our Eldest. She's the one who wants to talk to you three.* You notice his footprints are much lighter than yours, and while each of your steps crunches in the snow, his are almost completely silent.

Jennifer and Nicole

The woman seems to know enough common to get Nicole's point, though she keeps talking in her own language. *We're not completely sure,* she addresses Jen. *The most we've ever seen at once is seven, but it sounds like there are more here now.* It's hard to see in the dark, but a slight twitch betrays her thought of going for her quiver when Nicole raises her staff, though she appears to think better of it.

Hanna

*Aha so you will tell me who sent you* she jested as the more important part of her earlier question was why.
*Though should I be worried that the leader of the hunters is with me - that would make me the prey after all*, it was a jest - she knew that if he had been sent for her that in a very real way she was the target of the hunt - and she knew this was not negative. Looking him over she decided that she would not sleep with him tonight, she was too tired and prefered the company of woman for her time off.
But if she was to work this evening she considered it might not the too bad - still she was interested in if she could get a raise out of him *I am not to be bound and stuffed am I?* her voice laced with false innocence - assuming she didn't mangle the language.

"Seven is the most they've seen, but there were apparently more today. And Nicole, try to avoid sudden movements. I don't want any misunderstandings," Jen says.

*That goes for you too-no sudden movements. Like I said, I want to trust you. But I don't.*

Nicole now stands still as a statue.

"I will make no sudden movements." She says in a monotone. "I will be like Sir.Leo" She adds.

"Nicole, now is not the time for jokes!" Jen says. *Look-just lead us back to our friend-that'll be a good sign of peace, right?*

Just as Jen turns to head back, she and Nicole hear the sound of footsteps approaching. *Oh, good, you found them,* Lenthir calls, waving to the woman as he and Hanna come into view. *Everything alright here?*

*Uh, sort of,* she answers, stepping out of the shadows to approach the group. Close up, she's revealed to be paler than her companion, her dark brown hair worn in one long braid. *Can you tell these two everything's alright?* she pleads. *They don't believe me.* She looks distinctly uncomfortable with the situation, bouncing nervously on the balls of her feet.

*Calm down, Mia,* Lenthir says soothingly. *Everything's going to be fine.* He turns to Nicole and Jen. "My name is Lenthir," he explains, switching to the common tongue. "Sorry to appear so suddenly. We wanted to reach you before the wolves and keep them away completely, but they were faster. Since they're not here now, though, I think it's safe to assume the others have won." From the west, another series of howls goes up, this one fainter and receding.

"Our Eldest sent us to find you," he continues. "We always keep watch on dara who come near our home--few go so far into the forest, and most of them come to hunt, so we were surprised to see warriors, and users of the Art," he indicates Nicole. "We were supposed to find out if you were a threat to us, and if you weren't, to bring you back with us so the Eldest could talk to you. I think she figured it might have something to do with the winter, and wanted to see if we could help." He shrugs. "You don't seem like you want to attack us or steal our game, so I guess that means you're invited to our village. Considering the wolves are out, and they'll probably attack you again if you try to camp out here, I think you'll be safest coming with us."

He looks between you expectantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom