Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Snow-covered Boughs IC (D&D 5e, closed group)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hanna

Ignoring the mound created - she did wonder had the bandits been orc or goblin would they have gotten the same, but she pushed the thought down. She was glad nothing had happened to the woman while they were gone.

"Baron said a day and a half hike, we should make good time if those clouds don't interfere", offering Jennifer a smile "nothing ahead but bunnies that I noted, yets hope it stays that way" nodding to Nicole "sounds good".

The trail Hanna and Nicole scouted out soon branched into more, all the sort of narrow, winding dirt paths meant to be used by hunters. Once or twice, the squirrels and birds are joined by an underfed-looking deer, all of which quickly dart away as soon as you approach. The clouds grow slowly heavier and the air colder, light flurries starting to drift down as evening draws close. A few hours before nightfall, the trails cease to head in the right direction, just as you were warned they would; luckily, the undergrowth here is relatively thin, and much of the snow has been kept off the ground by the thick pine boughs, so the going isn't too much slower.

Finally, the sun sets, the wood sinking into darkness. All around are the sounds of the nocturnal wildlife awakening, though there's less of it than there might be in warmer weather. It's now almost impossible to move forward without light sources.

"Well," Jen says, "I can see in the dark, but it's probably for the best if we use torches. I have a few, if neither of you remembered to bring them."

Hanna

Considering carefully "I have a few, but in this darkness they will stand out to anything that wants to attack us - we wouldn't see the archers" mulling it over "and I can hack through this" gesturing to the brush "but it won't be quite".

Turning to smile at her companions "and that is assuming we don't accidently burn the forest down" shrugging "I am happy to push ahead - but wanted to highlight issues first", looking at Nicole "guess that makes it your call on if we wait for daylight or press on", despite her words there was a tone of hoping to move of about her - the sooner they got somewhere the sooner they would know what was going on.

"I can't see in the dark. Which means we might miss the path to the temple in the dark." Nicole pointed out.

"So I say we should probably camp."

"I'd be fine either way. However, unless you've got a good reason to keep moving, I'll be siding with Nicole on this, Hanna," Jen says.

Hanna

"Ha, no not today" she smiled, "camping it is".

Considering "think I take first watch while there is still light, than you Jen when there is none and Nicole last when light might be returning - unless a different order if prefered?" she offered.

"No, that would make the most sense. Wake us if there is any trouble," she says, retrieving a bedroll and laying it on the ground.

Hanna

Nodding to Jennifer "will do", before turning to Nicole "so share body heat for the deepest part of the night?" she offered, without having the paladin's ability to flat out ignore the cold she didn't want to freeze to death - her good health not-withstanding.

Jen, flushing a bit red, lets Nicole cuddle in closely as she pulls the bedroll's blanket over them both. Underneath the blanket, she's uncomfortably hard, but knows Nicole is only there for warmth.

Jen and Nicole hardly even have time to get under the blanket before a massive white shape, fast enough to be hardly more than a blur, comes hurtling out of the trees and straight toward Hanna, a snarling canine bark splitting the quiet of the night.

Hanna will need to make a Dexterity save to dodge.

Hanna

She had been worried about white wolves since Vera had mentioned them, looked - or more correctly sounded as she had not seen it clearly - like her worries were justified as she pivoted to try and avoid the shape.
"Trouble" her own voice harsh and clear - with just a hint of panic in it - a sound the other woman would have rarely of ever heard in her, the stories of her childhood were with her.

Hanna's reflexes carry her out of the way just in time. The shape hurtles past where she was standing a second before to alight almost soundlessly on the snow. The huge white wolf, nearly as high as your heads at the shoulders, spins around to face the barbarian again, spittle falling from its jaws as it lets out a low growl. Its eyes are an unnerving contrast with its bestial appearance--hazel green, and with a spark of intelligence that you'd swear doesn't belong in the body they're attached to.

Hanna only has a second to study it, though, before it tenses and leaps again, teeth flying towards her throat. At this distance, there's not enough time to dodge completely, and though the barbarian manages to get her neck out of the way, the wolf's bite sinks into her shoulder instead--its formidable weight follows behind, threatening to bowl her over. From the other side, a pair of answering snarls are the only warning as two more wolves come charging out from the trees, towards Jennifer and Nicole. Luckily, alerted by Hanna's cry, the two manage to roll out of the way, blankets tangling around them as they struggle to escape their attackers' jaws.

Hanna succeeds on her Dexterity save. Everyone, roll Initiative. Jen and Nicole are still in their blankets, prone and providing Advantage to attackers; it'll take a move action to get untangled.

The wolves go first. Hanna gets hit for 13 damage; make a Strength save to stay on your feet.

Jen and Nicole are missed.

It's Hanna's turn now, followed by Nicole's and then Jen's.

Hanna

With combat started her mind flicked to rage at the wolf rather than fear, and past rage into hatred - she was not prey and this creature would learn that the hard way even if it killed her.

Her greataxe was soun from her back in an overhead arc down towards the creatures head - as she snarled at it "there is softer meat around for you", why they wolves were not chewing on soft bandits puzzled some dim section of her mind.

Jen leaps to her feet, kicking the blankets off, She shouts a word of power and a glowing aura surrounds her, providing divine protection, then draws her rapier and swings at a wolf.

"Run before we have to kill you!" she shouts out,hoping to avoid true conflict.

Attack 16
Damage 11
AC 20 with Shield of Faith

Nicole also gets up.

"I had the weirdest dream. There was non magic SCIENCE, and we had this thing called an internet. And I was a teacher."

"Wait I already teach SCIENCE to you two. So what's the internet." She asks as a nearby snow pile burst into flames instead of a wolf.

"SCIENCE damn it!"

Hanna's greataxe follows her wolf down into the snow as she throws it off her; spinning around again with disconcerting agility for something so large, it tries to twist out of the way, but the blade still bites deep into its flank. It whimpers piteously as it pulls back, its white fur staining red.

Jen throws off the blankets with impressive ease, her sword striking out from behind them and scoring a gash on her attacker. Unfortunately, the blanket happens to fall back down on Nicole, getting in her face and fouling up her spell. Though the flames don't touch it, the third wolf recoils slightly from the fire, its hackles rising.

You'd expect another attack right away, but none comes; regaining their collective footing, the wolves shrink back, crouching low and circling slowly around the three of you. Their unnerving eyes flick past each of you in turn.

Then, the uninjured one speaks.

"They are good," it says, its mouth and tongue moving in a weird imitation of a human's speech; its voice is low and gravelly, like its growl. "Very good..."

Suddenly, as if at some unheard signal, they all pounce again, their targets now exchanged; the unhurt one goes for Hanna while the one that had attacked Jen goes for Nicole, and the last goes for the paladin, leaping with impressive speed even while favoring its left front leg. It's still not enough, though, and both injured wolves are slow enough to evade; Hanna, however, is caught for a second time.

Hanna gets hit again for 4 damage, after Rage resistance. Make another Strength save to stay on your feet.

Jen is missed.

Nicole is missed.

Hanna

Fully in the midst of her frenzy Hanna was not listening to the wolves at all - and was barely focused on the combat outside of the one that had attacked her. Following its movements she pounced after it with two quick blows from her axe - as she rolled with the attack from the newcomer, barely even registering it except as a new target for later.

Jen's eyes widen, surprised at the wolves' speech, but when they attack again she shows no mercy, stirking out and stabbing into the same wolf she had hit before.

Attack 22
Damage 9

Nicole replies shooting ruby red rays from her body into the talking wolves meaty flesh.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?449576-Snow-Covered-Boughs-DnD5e&p=19970465&posted=1#post19970465

"Now do you want to contribute to SCIENCE?" She asks.

The momentum of Hanna's attack carries her out of the way of her assailant, two new gashes joining the first in the hazel-eyed wolf's flank. Jen's rapier catches the brown-eyed one on its hind leg as it turns to leap at Nicole; its pained yelp is silenced as Nicole's spell sears towards it, its fur smoking as the force of the heated air knocks it back to the ground. The badly bleeding hazel-eyed wolf manages to twist out of the way of the fire, but the blue-eyed one is still recovering from its leap at Hanna, and gets a painful-looking burn.

Scrambling back to its feet, it lets out a powerful bark; in half a second, it and the other two wolves have turned to flee back into the trees, trailing blood in the snow. You barely have time to catch your breaths before a deep howl resounds from nearby, answered immediately by a chorus of others. It sounds like they're coming from the west, unnervingly close; you can't clearly tell just how many, but there are definitely a lot of them.

Everyone, gain 300 XP.

Hanna

Conflicting urges pulled at her, to give chase into almost certain death - or to remain with the others and let her assailants escape and her anger to lapse.

Her scream of rage was unintentional as it escaped her lips - the decision made to stay.

Turning to the others she was visible drained after pushing herself to her limits, her voice wary "we think we need to backtrack - hopefully get out of there territory, maybe where the bandits were?", securing her axe again her movements sluggish "thoughts?" she asked half-heartedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom