Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Snow-covered Boughs IC (D&D 5e, closed group)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaril

Star
It's cold in Baron Gareth Ramsey's keep.

It's been cold everywhere since you entered the lands surrounding Greyhill. It might have been hard to believe, but just as the baron's letter said, the minute you approached within sight of the village's most distant farms, the weather changed from the pleasant warmth of spring to snow and ice all around, and breath fogging in the air. The peasants and townsfolk you passed by on the way to the keep all wore their heaviest winter wools and furs, most hurrying about their business to spend as little time outside as possible--that is, until they stopped to stare, point, and whisper at your passing. Even without Jennifer's nudity, the arrival of armed mercenaries always draws attention.

Dusk set in as you arrived at the gates, the guards waving you through without much hesitation (telling them to expect a group of three fighting women, one naked with a cock between her legs, wouldn't have left much uncertainty). Inside, a warmly-dressed, middle-aged man with a carefully trimmed light brown beard, calling himself Lawrence, introduced himself as Lord Ramsey's steward and offered to show you to his liege's office, seeming not even to notice your respective peculiarities. The halls you passed were somewhat spartan in decoration, but spacious and comfortable-looking enough. Even with fires in every hearth and tapestries on the walls, though, the cold wasn't fully banished, and the servants and retainers still wore winter dress.

Now, Lawrence has stopped outside one particular closed door, knocking rather than turning the handle. "That you, Lawrence?" a man's voice calls from the other side.

"Yes, my lord," the steward replies in his aristocratic tone. "I have the mercenaries you've been expecting."

"Bring them on in," the baron answers. "And then have someone bring us some mulled wine, if there's any left. It's too damn cold in here."

Lawrence opens the door without pausing further, motioning for you to enter. "Right away, my lord," he nods, departing back down the hall.

Baron Ramsey sets a quill down on a broad desk of dark wood in a small, but richly appointed personal office. Thick tapestries and rugs cover the bare stone, and another fire crackles merrily in the hearth on the wall to the side. His bearing is one of assurance, but not aggression; his near-black hair is shoulder-length and a bit unkempt, and his beard is less well-maintained than his steward's, but his grey winter wear is stylish and suits him well. He quirks an eyebrow at the sight of Jennifer, but gives no other visible reaction. "Come on, sit down," he urges in a low, slightly gravelly tone, gesturing towards the other chairs arranged facing the desk. "Thanks for coming so quickly, I really appreciate it. Hope no one gave you any trouble on the way?"

"Hey!" Nicole waved excitedly, unusually dressed for her. Only a low cut and tight wizard robe, that showed off her cleavage, and left no doubt to how curvy she was.

"Some people gawked, but alot of people do that to us."

"So I was wondering, if I may see your daughter to decide on the eventual reward?" She requests, also gesturing in a way that seemed wanting a hug.

"Other than the snow making travel dificult, no, no trouble my Lord," Jennifer says as she takes a seat. "Though we were stared at quite a bit. I appreciate your steward being more polite than to do that."

"And Nicole, let's talk about the reward after we've actually done work to merit it," she says, sighing a little. "I apologize, my Lord, she can be... Eager."

Hanna

She was dressed casually - not in her best or her worst, and showing less than the others, she liked cold weather it reminded her of her childhood but she was accustomed to protecting herself from it.

She shrugged at the man - "nothing on the road that couldn't be handled, nothing in town worth mentioning so far", looking askance at Jennifer for a second "that is not how business is done, first we discuss the task, than the pay - and depending on what is asked some or all pay might be suitable up front - and than we get to work", it was how she operated since leaving the brothel and it worked as well for adventuring as it did for sexual service. The half-elf seemed to be a good sort from what she knew of her but perhaps not focused on business enough.

"So what do you need?" she asked with a smile to the Lord.

The baron chuckles a bit at Nicole's forwardness. "Don't need to apologize," he shakes his head at Jennifer. "I can appreciate a woman who knows what she's about." He gives Nicole another amused look before turning back to the others. "Lawrence is damn good at keeping his head," he agrees. "Part of why I like having him around. And I'm glad to hear all you got from my people was stares--things are even worse now than when I wrote. Even with my knights on the road, some have started going bandit. No one you three couldn't have handled, far as we know, but it would've been a damn shame to see you get attacked."

He nods at the mention of the task at hand. "Anyway, yeah, let's talk about what needs doing. Now, first thing, let me ask you all something: how much do you all know about the Old Gods?"

(If you're from a culture that worships the Old Gods, you can open the first spoiler automatically, the second on a result of 10, and the third on a 15.)

(A lot of this is just reiterated from what I said in the OOC, but I'll put it here again anyway).

The Old Gods are one of the two known pantheons, worshiped mostly by barbarians outside the Realm. There are supposedly more of them than can possibly be counted, and each one rules over a particular phenomenon in a specific place--for example, one might be the god of a certain lake, and another might control the thunderstorms that pass above a valley. The Church condemns their worship.

(Open the successive spoilers if your check was high enough.)

According to the Church, the Old Gods were originally subordinates of the New Gods, who left them in charge of the world while they went off to create others. The Old Gods abandoned their service, becoming prideful and selfish, and demanding mortals worship them instead of their masters. Followers of the Old Gods believe either that the two pantheons are the same and the Church just wants everyone to follow their particular gods, or that the New Gods don't exist at all.

Each of the Old Gods with mortal followers is worshiped at a temple constructed in their honor in their most sacred place. Such temples are attended by one or more priests who serve the enshrined god exclusively. Every Old God demands different rites of worship, ranging from simple prayer to human sacrifice, but most tend to get quite upset if their demands aren't met, bringing all kinds of misfortune until they're properly appeased.

"Not much. Just that they're uncountably numerous, and each one is tied to a specific location."

"I would assume," Jennifer continues, "that you suspect some of these Old Gods are causing the snowfall here?"

Hanna

She shrugged "only the basics, my village never cared much providing the shamans kept them appeased and they kept us well", it had never been a core interest of hers even when she was young.

She began looking around the room, pacing slowly and running her hand over the rock and furnishings casually - if he or another in the house was accepting she could see herself setup here for a few nights, likely warmer and better food than the rest of the area.

Making a decision she moved to where the Baron sat and after looking him in the eyes for a second let her weapons and backpack down on the floor beside his chair and plunked herself in his lap "your cold" her voice pleasant "I am feeling like I could warm you if you don't mind sharing?", with her metabolism her body was indeed fairly warm even in this weather.

"So what do the Old Gods have to do with anything" she queried throwing an eye to Nicole who might be more studied in these things than herself or Jennifer.

"Quite alot." Nicole replied frowning at the lack of a hug.

"One of the old gods could be responsible for snowstorms in this valley. If their priest was arrested for heresy. Well, maybe he can't tell his god to stop?" Nicole suggests.

"Got it in one," the baron nods to Jennifer. "One god in particular, actually. No arrests," he adds to Nicole, "but you've got the right idea too. Let me explain."

He leans back in his chair with a contemplative sigh. "See, my father was the first lord of Greyhill--King Doran gave it to him after he helped conquer it from the Kith. To help keep the Kith from causing trouble after, he married one of them, my mother. Officially, she converted before they were married, but I know she never really gave up on her family's ways." His face turns grim, the shadows from the fire enhancing the impression. "She passed last year, bless her. But when all this started...well, I've always had faith in the true gods, but when nothing else worked, I..."

He takes a deep, steadying breath, and raises his eyes to look at you again. "She kept journals, and I went through them. In a few of her entries, she mentions one god, someone she calls the Queen of Wolves. Seemed to me like this Queen was connected with the winters here--my mother talked about going into the forest every year when it started to get cold, finding her temple. Never said just what happened out there, but whatever it was, she wasn't around to do it this time. And now we're dealing with this."

He looks on the point of continuing before Hanna moves to sit in his lap. He raises the same eyebrow for a second before suddenly letting out a bark of laughter, though also holding up a hand to ward her off before she gets too close. "Damn, I can see how you three earned your reputation! But you're barking up the wrong tree--I'm faithful to my wife."

Jen puts a friendly arm around Nicole, trying to make up for the baron's lack of hugs, and says "So all we have to do is find this temple?"

Nicole cuddles Jen.

"Not quite that simple. We also need to know whatever it is his mother did, and do it ourselves." She points out.

"Which means fact finding!" She squeels in delight.

"Nicole is an avid learner. Was there any notes in the journals about what was done at the temple?" Jennifer says, enjoying the warth of another body up against hers.

Hanna

"Ha, well good for you and her I suppose", smirking "if you and her feel like a bed warmer - well the offer is there".

Turning back to the other business, "so find the temple find out what your mother was doing there and appease this Queen of Wolves or at lease prevent her influence somehow - got it", gesturing to Nicole "your expertise more than mine".

Smiling calmly, "so back to the earlier discussion lets talk reward".

"Not many facts to find, unfortunately," the baron shakes his head. "Trust me, once I found the lead, I looked everywhere. Well, everywhere I could without raising suspicion. None of what she wrote or anything we have here mentions anything about rites to the Queen of Wolves. And I've asked everyone I trust." He heaves another sigh. "No, what I'm thinking is simpler. You three go to the temple--I know where that is, at least--and try to get in touch with the Queen. If she's willing to talk, find out what it'll take to make her stop this. If not, well..." He shrugs. "She's a god, so it's not like you can kill her, but my mother told me stories when I was a lad about people fighting the Old Gods when they got out of line, beating them into submission. I don't know if you can do it, but if she won't listen to reason, well...trying would be the best chance we have."

He leans forward in his seat again. "I know, it sounds insanely dangerous, and maybe it is. But I'm out of options here. We need something done, or we're all fucked. And I meant what I said about the reward. Whatever you want that I have, my daughter's hand included," he nods to Nicole, "it's yours if you can fix this."

He gives a searching look at each of you. "Can I count on you?"

"Of course. Your people are in danger, and I've pledged my life to help those in need." Jennifer bows to the baron. "I will make sure this winter ends." She rises back up, a smile on her face. "With the help of my lovely companions as well, of course."

"Can I see what your daughter looks like? You know to decide exactly on the reward." Nicole asks.

Hanna

A change came over the slight young woman as beamed a wide eager smile, not the coy smile she used normally but one might closer to the berserker she was, "fight a god for an unlimited reward" she let out a laugh, "these are kind of stories I left home to make", frankly for the chance to test herself she might well have challanged the god for no real reason had she known where it was and been given an excuse.
This was the kind of story to do her clan proud - "happy to leave at once" her joy clear at the prospect before her, "just don't try to back track on payment after" she joked.

Jennifer, once again, sighs at Hanna's words. "We are to try diplomacy first. Only if that fails will we beat up a god."

"Fact finding, then diplomacy, then attacking. I can get behind that plan. Nicole, Hanna, can you two as well?"

Baron Ramsey gives another chuckle. "Hey, I just want the snow gone. Whatever you end up doing to get rid of it, I'm not fussed about. But you can trust me on the payment. I'm a man of my word."

A knock comes at the door. "Oh, right, the wine!" the baron exclaims. "Come on, bring it in!"

The door opens again, and a maidservant enters bearing a tray with four cups--a gorgeous young thing with long, glossy red hair and generous curves visible even under her heavy shawls. Her big brown eyes widen further at the sight of Jennifer, but her hand is steady with the tray, which she sets down on the desk. "H-here you are, milord. Sorry for the wait." Her eyes hardly leave the paladin as she speaks.

"Not a problem, Tess," the baron reassures, picking up one of the cups. "Come on, let's drink to your success! And I don't expect you to leave just when it's getting dark. You can sup and spend the night here, we have guest chambers. I could have Alette join you while you eat, if you want to meet her," he adds to Nicole.

Jennifer smiles at Tess, hoping to disarm the young woman of her surprise, and takes a glass. "No success yet, my Lord, but I'll drink for the pleasant company. I've not known you long, but you seem a good man, so," she raises her glass high, "to good company!"

"I would like that." Nicole adds ogling the maids chest.

"Hey, my name's Nicole." She adds to Tess extending a hand.

Hanna

Looking aghast at Jennifer "what kindof ballad is that" putting on a voice of a grizzeled story teller "and then the brave heroes spoke to the Queen of Wolves pointing out the error of her ways and and she agreed that she was a little out of line and they all had cake?", sighing "but fine if she is a such a pitiful goddess as to be placated by a talk after whatever insult has been leveled against her we won't bother engaging the exercise of besting her, it would seem not worth the trouble at that point anyway".

Grumbling slightly she turned to Nicole "so how long does fact finding take, half an hour? an hour? two?" still eager to leave.

Eyeing the maidservent as she entered she wondered what other services she provided the Keep with a smile, and downed a glass in a single gulp - "happy to leave sooner rather than later, sooner it is over day or night the better for everyone - right?".

She knew she was going to lose that arguement with the others, rest was better, start rested and refreshed - but she did want to start sooner ... "particularly as wolves are night creatures right - would not want to have to camp out all day tomorrow waiting for their queen when we could deal with it tonight" she said hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom