Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Snow-covered Boughs IC (D&D 5e, closed group)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The longer the war, the more people are hurt. A short war is for the best, Nicole. And I won't support any other kind," Jen says with finality.

Hanna

"Ha" it was almost a bark "the hardest part I imagine would be convincing the barbarians to serve me, thousands of tribes - all of them with chieftains who think they are favoured of the old gods supported by people who think they should be chieftain", shrugging "now that would be a series of bloody battles" she said solemnly.

"Trust me even if the baron abdicated to me when we get back to the keep I would still likely never be in a position to do anything even close to what I mention so worring about how the war would be waged is premature - but it is nice to dream at times" she smiled.

"So any dreams either of you would like to see accomplished even when you know your chances are almost non-existent?" she asked both of them with a playful smile.

Unfortunately, any answer to Hanna's question is interrupted by an arrow whizzing just past Nicole's head and burying itself deep in the trunk of one of the pines. The impact knocks a snowdrift off one of the low branches, sliding off to land with a dull thump.

From the snow and foliage all around, six figures suddenly emerge, pointing nocked hunting bows straight at all of you. Four men and two women, their faces caked with nearly as much dirt as their ragged winter clothes and protective hides, the bandits' faces bear the sunken look of prolonged hunger, but their expressions are of grim determination.

The man straight ahead along the path looks better fed than the others, and certainly better equipped, boasting a coat of ringmail (rusty in spots, but still intact) and a sheathed arming sword at his belt where his companions carry mismatched handaxes. "Sorry to interrupt, ladies," he announces with uncanny calm and confidence, "but I'm afraid this is a holdup. Hand over all your food, weapons, and anything else valuable, and we can let you go without bloodshed." His aim is steady as he and the others silently await your response.

Hanna

She noted the arrow in the tree, "I assume that was a warning shot and not just a bad one, so I will offer you some courtesy" she smiled.

"Couple of choices, one lead us through the forest to our destination and you might earn some coin or other consideration" if they could live here they could perhaps survive the north with some guidence and her tribe could use new blood, "two me and you fight, man to woman, you save your men their lives and than we move on as mentioned with you battered or dead" smiling "or group fight and we three kill you all right now and break the monotony of the journey a little" her tone largely apathetic.

Jen takes a stand behind Hanna, not quite liking the barbarian's choice but not knowing anything better to do and knowing solidarity is the best way to seem strong. As she doesn, she draws her sword and shield from the demiplane in which they are stored, readying herself for a fight that she hopes will not come.

The bandit leader's cocky smirk widens into a grin. "Gonna be difficult, eh, love?" he says with mock sadness. "Shame. I guess we'll--"

His blisteringly clever taunt is never voiced--at the sight of Jennifer pulling her weapons seemingly from nowhere, his grin instantly falls away, simultaneously with mutterings from his allies. The crunching of snow signals a few shifting back in alarm. "Wait," says the leader. "Where did you--"

(Pst! Now's your chance!)

What time is it?

INITIATIVE TIME! :D

Nicole for her part stands behind Hanna and Jen. Her fragile SCIENCE based body needing protection.

Iniative 11
HP 31
AC 20

Jennifer, seeing the startled reactions of the bandits, takes her chance. She murmurs words of power, a halo of light gently surrounding her, and strikes out at the leader.

Casting Shield of Faith
Attack 23
Damage 6

Hanna

"Oy, I called that one" she shouted after Jennifer, but made no move to attack herself merely readying her axe and shield "listen up bandits - there is your challange, watch and learn interfere or attack us at the back and I will slaughter you" she called.

Jen is quick to charge, but the bandits' leader is quicker to fire; his bow twangs, and the arrow buries itself deep in Jen's shoulder. Not a fatal wound, but a painful and distracting one. The advantage of distance lost, the leader drops his bow and pulls his sword from its scabbard, bracing himself to defend.

His blade sweeps up to catch Jen's own, but he's too slow, and you manage to stick him right back. He grunts in pain and staggers back in the snow, but holds his stance.

Hanna doesn't even get to finish her challenge before more arrows fly at her and Nicole. One of the five shots goes wide, but the other four all find their targets. Hanna is luckier, only one of the two scoring a gash across her flank while the other snags harmlessly in her clothes, though its momentum still fouls up her balance; the remaining two arrows fly straight towards Nicole...

Ouch, this round is not going well for you guys :(

Jen, take 16 damage (sorry, it was a crit). Hanna, take 5; Nicole, take none thanks to your timely shield.

Jen's attack hits; Hanna goes next with the higher Dex bonus, followed by Nicole.

HP-15
AC-20

Jen ignores the wound, shoving the pain aside, and strikes again at the leader.

Attack 19
Damage 5

Hanna

"Hide if you need to" she shouted to Nicole as she charged the nearest of the archers her blood boiling at them, she had warned them.

Her axe flashing out almost before she had made the correct distance.

As the arrows flew.

Nicole squeeked out "SCIENCE save me!"

And lo science did! As a transparent shield intercepted the arrows.

And then Nicole called out. "SCIENCE smite my enemies!"

And lo SCIENCE answered as the most injured bandit burst into flames!

Then Nicole called out. "SCIENCE hide me!"

And she walked to a nearby tree for cover.

[To hit roll 17.

To damage 6.

Casting firebolt. ]

Blood sprays into the air and stains the snow as Hanna's axe falls. The bandit she struck staggers back, slashed deep across the chest, but, amazingly, stays standing--until he bursts into flames a second later. The snow sizzles and steams around his body as it hits the ground.

"Shit, that one's a witch!" one of the other men calls out, turning around and taking off into the trees.

"Fuck this!" a woman cries, following suit. Their retreat leaves an opening in the circle surrounding you, giving Nicole space to get behind cover from the others.

"Get back here you fucking cowards!" the leader barks, to no avail. Snarling with rage, he lunges forward and takes a wide swing at Jennifer. Injured as he is, though, his movement is slow and clumsy, and easily parried. Even better, he leaves himself wide open, letting you easily stick him a second time.

The other two bandits still remaining seem braver than their fleeing comrades. With Nicole hiding behind her tree, and now obviously a magician of great power, they go with what seems like the safer option, which is to nock new arrows and fire at Hanna again. Unfortunately for them, fear tends to make one's hands shake, and their shots go wide without Hanna even needing to dodge.

And we're back to Hanna and Nicole. No damage to anyone this round.

Hanna

For nearly half a second she stood dumbstruck at the charred corpse, and was then running to the next closest archer - her shield and axe dropped from her hands as she did so, she needed to act quicker to prevent others finishing her battles for her.

Leaping at the figure her great axe was snapped from her back and brought up into the ribs of her opponent.

Hanna's axe cleaves nearly into the woman's spine. An expression of shock and fear is frozen on her face as she hits the ground, her own axe that she never had a chance to raise falling from her hand to land in the red snow beside her.

Without saying a word, her ally turns around and runs after the others.

The bandits' leader glances away from his fight with Jennifer to see one of his remaining fighters dead, and the other routed. His angry grimace slips away, replaced by a sheepish grin as his eyes track between the three of you. He chuckles awkwardly for a second and mumbles "fuck this shit" before taking off right behind his group.

Dropping out of initiative here because you guys have officially won the battle. Everyone take 250 XP.

You can still pursue if you want. If you do, we'll use the chase rules from the DMG.

"Remember this next time you fight, bandits!" Jennifer shouts after them. Immediately after, she rushes to the woman who was cleaved in twain by Hanna's axe, seeing if there's any hope left for her.

"Hmm. Hmm." Nicole mused pulling out a hand drawn map.

"I think, yes. We're about here. We'll need to report this to the Baron's men when we get back, so that they can patrol this road." She shouts out to her comrades.

"I'm gonna call it Citadel road!"

Hanna

She looked at them run, had she still an axe suitable for throwing in her hand she would have tried to peg the leader - but instead she merely snorted in derision at the whole thing.

She was careful about cleaning her weaponary and collecting what she had discarded. Before checking her wound looked a light gash to her.

"You both alright?" she asked, her voice concerned - Jennifer in particular had seemed to have taken an unlucky blow at the start.

Jennifer finds the young woman's body perfectly still, her eyes closed. A cursory examination doesn't reveal any noticeable signs of life--if she is still alive, it's only just barely.

Jennifer lays her hands over the wounds, pushing out holy energy to infuse life back into the body.

Lay on Hands, to heal the injuries.

"Huh. Oh yeah. SCIENCE protected me." Nicole replied peeking from her self made map.

"What are you doing Jennifer?" Nicole asked walking over.

Hanna

Smiling to Nicole "glad to hear it - so what is this kill stealing business all about" she joked refering to the firebolt, before she noticed Jennifer's actions - her voice confused "huh? what why" there was anger in her voice "she is the enemy - she shot arrows at me!".

Jen looks to Hanna, then back to the injured woman. "I'm not going to let her die if it can be avoided. You should've aimed to knock them unconcious-not to kill."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom