Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)
“You’re allowed to call witnesses to help your case,” Rielle explained, leaning against the far wall of the dungeons. As far away as she could without being rude. “Do you think anyone else would testify on your behalf? The group sent to Monsford indicated in their reports that you were instrumental to the defense of the town, would you want any of them to testify? Or Clara? Think about it, anyways.” At that, Rielle stood up away from the well and caught his eyes again.

“Get some rest. I’ll be back by tomorrow, to get a full exhaustive testimony regarding the events of Mykel’s murder. As well as more details about how your soul was removed. Both your human soul and the demonic one.” With one last look, she left the dungeons.

“Rough day?” Edwin asked, tapping her shoulder. When Rielle looked up from the book she was nose deep in, he passed her a glass of wine.

“That is a generous assessment, yes,” Rielle noted, placing a ribbon on her page before closing the book and accepting the wine. Still, she smiled up to her husband. “I really should assign a new high inquisitor, before I am stuck pulling double duty.”

“You’d still be pouring through these books, even if you had someone else to do it. You have a new puzzle, and you won’t be satisfied until you solve it,” he concluded, smirking as he used deductive reasoning against her. “Should I even ask what it is?”

“How does a human survive the sundering of his soul from his body? Twice?”

“So it’s about Matthias?” Edwin asked, Rielle felt herself get embarrassed, and turned away.

“I’m sorry I…”

“Don’t be, I’m not jealous.”

“You’re not jealous? Not even a little?”

“Ok, I am a little jealous,” Edwin admitted, knowing better than to play the interrogation game with her, “but I also know what it’s like to lose someone you love. I love you Rielle, and I am very happy with you, but there is very little I wouldn’t give up to have my Gwen back. They say you never forget your first love.”

“Well, now I’m jealous,” Rielle teased, resting against Edwin’s shoulder, intertwining her fair hand with his dark one. He kissed her on her silver locks.

“I’m jealous, you’re jealous. Should I go down into that cell and make a big fuss about how you are my wife? That way he can feel jealous too? Who else can we pull into this jealousy chain?” he joked, and Rielle couldn’t help but laugh. It felt good, after everything that had happened this day.

“You aren’t mad I am trying to help him?”

“That’s the woman I married, for better or worse. I know better than to get between you and your puzzles.” He kissed her hand as she drank her wine.

“And what would you do with me if you did get your Gwen back?”

“Oh, don’t worry. I’d keep you both.”

"I know the law, Rie," Matthias said, using her nickname without even realizing it. "And... I coukld call Clara, and Sue as well. And Justine and her two attack dogs as well. I don't know that I could count on any of them to testify on my behalf, but I can trust them to speak the truth." He chuckled grimly. "It remains to be seen how much of a help that will be, though."

With that, Rielle took her leave. Matthias watched her go, then settled down against the wall and looked around. The same cell. The very same where he'd been held, where he'd asked for death and where he'd frist lain with Ari. Back when it had just been fucking.

The cell she'd been drwgged from, to be brutally raped by her fiancee and her brothers in arms.

Stilling his thoughts, he looked inwards. The demon was there, waiting. "Think you're clever, don't you?"

"Think? No, I don't think I'm clever."

"Funny. But why do you flee me? We are the same, you and I."

"No longer."

"Bullshit. The things we did... I didn't make you do them."

"I know."

"I just gave you the strength, Matthias. The strength, and the freedom. And you can have that again, Matthias. You can be strong."

"I can be a demon, you mean."

"Yes!And why not? Power and freedom, Matthias. Anything you want! Keep Ari, if you wish. She's yours! Rielle as well! Have them both!"

"I'm going to see you destroyed."

"No. You won't. You need me. You'll see that. Soon enough."

Days passed at the temple. Slowly it seemed, waiting in limbo until they would know what Matthias’ fate would be. It was hard to be around him, harder this time as the demon buried under layers of Matthias. Her Matthias. At least, hers once. No longer. It was easy to see him as Matthias now, she realized, but Aurianna had seen him as Matthias then too. She had seen the man beneath monster, when no one else could. That was probably why he was hers, now.

Rielle rubbed her eyes and sighed, words in her book melding and mixing before her now. She had pushing herself hard, trying to adjust to her new duties as Lady Commander, finishing up her duties as High Inquisitor, trying to solve this Matthias problem, and in general, just having him around. In many ways, it felt as if ten years of mourning and acceptance had been upended on her. She needed a break, and yet without even realizing it, she was bringing some food down to his cell, along with a couple books. Making excuses to see him…

“Hungry?,” She called, as he came into sight. She passed him the bowl of stew through the bars, and settled down as the wall with her own. “It occurs to me this is another oddity about your current situation. If you were a demon, or some sort of undead being, food shouldn’t do anything for you. You should have starved to death a while ago, from lack of blood. You said it’s been almost two months, yes?” Rielle started, in between bites of her own lunch, “Whatever Hydranes did to you, it changed your physiology.”

Rielle ate a few more bites, giving him a chance to add in his own insights before continuing, “From what I discovered, the process of removing a soul involved a great deal of pain. Whether this is an essential part of the process, or a side effect, I still haven’t quite discovered. I was hoping your own experiences could shed some light on it. You might be the only person who gone through this twice. At the very least, you are the only one we have testimony for.”

“So, when Baath Me’el did it, he tortured you for three days first, yes? At which point you offered you soul to make it stop. In Hydranes case, she also tortured you for a few days, though you still seem a bit confused about the details and time frame. I’m hoping to know better once Aurianna arrives and can give me her version of events. Now, when Hydranes removed your soul, it wasn’t with your permission, correct? So what does this tell us? Did Baath Me’el need your permission to take your soul, or was he just playing with you, when he tortured you? Was it different with Hydranes, because the demon soul wasn’t truly a part of you? After the demon was ripped from you, you lived, correct? A few days, at least? How was that different from what you are experiencing now? I mean, aside from the obvious that the demon is trying to get free.”

Once he finished with his explanations, Rielle was done with her food, and her duties called to her once more. She slipped the books she had brought with her into his cell. “This is highly irregular, but surely you understand that nothing about your situation is regular. But Aurianna should be returning to the temple tomorrow, if not tonight, and the tribunal will be quickly underway once she arrives. And I… I have duties to attend to, as Lady Commander. But you’re situation give us fascinating insight into the nature of soul binding. And since you have the free time, for the time being, I thought you could pour over these books, and see if anything relevant comes out at you. It could help further inquisitors, even if we can’t use it to help you…”

"I could eat, yes," Matthias acknowledged, accepting the bowl. She settled down as he ate, telling him what she'd learned as she kept him company. For a moment, it seemed as if the years had rolled back and things were the way they had been. Except for the bars. And their respective spouses. And all the atrocities. As he ate, and listened, he considered how he would answer. "I assure you," he said, a hint of crimson in his eyes, "that the Lord of Torment did not rend me asunder with my cooperation." He blinked, and the crimsin was gone. "And I suspect I was as surprised as Hydranes to find myself existing as two kiving beings - one demon, one human."

He set the emoty bowl aside. "it was... weakness, to be seperated. My thiughts were unclear, my strength no more than that of an ordinary man. I experienced emotions I hadn't felt in a decade. Shame. Pity. Love. And I could barely think. After a decade of clarity I was a beast again, driven by hunger and lust. I was a shell of myself."

Matthias' hands shook a little as he picked up the book. "I've tried to tell myself that I'm better off this way, but... divided, I'm weak. A broken husk. And part if the reason I can't resist is that I want to be whole. And Aurianna loved me, as a demon."

He fell silent, staring at the books in his lap. "That's why I need the Order, Rielle. Not because I can't resist, but increasingly because I don't want to"

“You can’t resist, because…you want to be whole?” Rielle repeated, picking up on the phrase. Sudden realization lit up her eyes, “That’s it!” She was gone before she could elaborate, booted feet thudding up the stairs until they could no longer be heard.

They had spotted the Seraphim around noon, and after two weeks of traveling, it was the first good sign they had seen. It was just what they needed to push through the last part of their journey.

It was evening when they reached the wall, weariness written on their features. Justine was there to welcome them, pulling Aurianna tight into her arms.

“How are you holding up?”

“Terribly,” Aurianna admitted with a weak grin. “We’ll have to talk, once I finish reporting to Commander…?”

“Rielle,” Justine filled in, squeezing Ari tight, “and it can wait. Matthias gave his report already−“

“Matthias is here?!” Aurianna interrupted. Her features went white with worry, and she swallowed hard, trying to find the words, “Is he still…here?”

“He…he is. His trial will begin tomorrow, to decide his fate. I’ve been called on to testify. You as well, I’m sure.”

“I…I’m sorry Justine, I have to…”

“Go to him,” Justine insisted, seeing the struggle in her friends eyes. She brushed a strand of Ari’s dark hair behind her, “We’ll catch up afterwards, over dinner. Just like old times,” Without another word, Aurianna raced to where her husband waited for her.

Rielle looked over the four teenagers in her office, trying to decide where they could be put up.

“Clara and Sue, as avowed Paladins, you would be entitled to your own private dorms. Unfortunately, I didn’t have anything prepared, as I wasn’t sure if you intended on staying at the temple once more. For the meantime, you are free to keep your shared room, until you decide if you want to stay here or not.”

She turned her attention to Thora now, “I wasn’t expecting a ranking priestess to be joining us, and don’t quite have a place for you, yet.”

“She could room with us,” Clara suggested, and Sue felt herself grow red at the suggestion.

“Well, three to a room would be a tight. Are you okay with that, Thora?”

“I don’t mind if things are a bit tight,” Thora smirked, holding back her giggles.

“I also don’t mind if things are a bit tight,” Sigurd piped up now, trying his luck. Rielle gave him a hard look that might have taken a few years off his life.

“No Mr. Silvainson, I will not be placing you in a room with three teenage girls. Fortunately, my stepson’s room has an extra bed, since his roommate took his vows a few months ago, so you can stay with him, while you are here.”Rielle excused them to their housing assignments. Clara looked absolutely mortified by the prospect, stunned into silence as they spilled into the hallway, and Sue burst into hysterical laughter.

“What is it? Who is her stepson?”

“Clara,” William moaned, as his fist moved along his shaft. It had been months since he had seen her, months filled with dreams and fantasies of her. Remembering the way he touched her, and her ecstatic cries as he found that one sensitive spot. Remembering how her hands felt around his meat, so good he could hardly control himself. And imaging that it went further, that they went further. That he could have felt her inner warmth, around his fingers. Or his tongue. Or his cock…He groaned louder now, imagining her beneath him, her eyes going wide as he fits himself inside her, a shuddered cry escaping her lips as she accepts every inch of him. His breathing was harder, labored almost, as he fantasized about her hair spilling along the cathedral floor, as her body arched against him.

“Clara!” He cried, his climax as sudden as it was powerful, spilling rivulets of his seed along his hand. He cleaned himself off with a nearby rag, falling back down on his bed. He felt guilty that he kept fantasizing about that night, knowing what happened just after he left. He wished he could have changed it for her. Been there for her, so she didn’t go through that alone. Protected her, and Lady Aurianna too. Why he thought he could have done any better against those treacherous paladins, he couldn’t say, but he hated himself for abandoning her to that. His step mother assured him there was no evidence that Clara had been assaulted, and he had prayed nightly that she was right.

He had been halfway to a nap when a rapping on the door disturbed him. Jumping out of bed, he pulled some pants on swiftly. He had gotten used to getting comfortable, without a roommate these past months. Fumbling with his belt, the rapping repeated itself, making the situation feel all the more urgent, until William opened the door to a tall young man with blonde hair and brown eyes, maybe a year or so older than him.

“Hey, Lady Commander Rielle said I could stay with you, for a couple days. I’m Sigurd Silvainson.”

“Matthias?” She called, descending the steps as quickly as her legs could take her. And there he was, as if it were still three months ago. Before she had felt his touch, before Jeoram and his buddies had defiled her, before she had defeated a demon lord and dragon at his side. Before they had exchanged vows as husband and wife. Nothing had changed, and yet everything had changed.

She was struck with storm of conflicting emotions at the sight of him. Relief, he was live, and still mostly himself. Rage that he had abandoned her, when she needed his love. Happiness, at the sight of her husband and the father of her child, and sorrow at the way he avoided her eyes.

“Why did you come here? I thought…I thought you wanted to live. I thought…I thought I was worth living for…” She asked, reaching for him through the bars, fresh tears streaming down her face.

Sigurd looked at the bleary-eyed youth, waiting for an answer. Probably just woke up from a nap, he decided based on the fact that the guy was just wearing pants. Not bad looking, either. Mayne a year or so younger, with walnut skin and coarse shaggy chestnut hair, and a lean build that mad him look taller than he was. "So... can I come in?"

Willam blinked, then stepped aside. "Oh, yeah. Sorry. Mom didn't say anything about a new assignment, and..."

"Mom?" Sigurd glanced around and hefted his pack. "Can I use the dresser, or..?"

"Right side. It's been vacant since my last roomate was ordained." He watched Sigurd start unpacking. "And, uhm, the Lady Commander. She's my step mom."

"Really?" It didn't take Sigurd long to put his clothes and personal effects away. "That a good thing?"

"Well," Willam said slowly, "she was the High Inquisitor before that. So I'll let you decide for yourself."

"Yeah," Sigurd decided, pulling his ringmail over his head and dumping it on a chair. "Must be tough."

"Not really. I just can't get away with shit, you know?" Willam scratched his chin, trying to decide on his next question. "Who... are you? I mean, I thiught I knew all the Aspirants."

Laughuin, Sigurd sat down and tugged his boots off. "Nah, I ain't a Paladin. I rode in from Monsford with Lady Aurianna, and your mom won't let me stay with my companions. Said it wasn't proper."

"Curious. But, you said Lady Aurianna's back? Who..."

"Yeahm she brought Mykel back, and we came with her." Dumping the boots aside, Sigurd wiggled his toes with pleasure. "Me and Sue and Ckara and..."

"Clara!" William twitched, vouce suddenly excited "Clara's back?"

"Yeah. We ride in together, and you clearly aren't listening, are you?" Ckearly, because Willuam was pulling on a shirt and rushing out the door. Glancing at his boots, Sigurd sighed and rose. "You must be that Willam, hey?"

Decuding to leave the boots behind, he slipped barefoot into the hall and jogged after Willam.

Matthias flinched away from Ari's hands as she reached for him. "You are," he whispered. "Worth living or dying for. Worth killing for. But I'm losing comtrol, Ari." He looked up finally, his eyes like pools of blood for a moment. "My bindings are slipping and it's harder to resist with each passing hour. I'm a danger to you and our child, love."

He wanted to hold her tight, kiss her. Push her against the wall and fuck her wildly, feel her tight around him as he pounded his pleasure into her. But he didn't dare. "I'm so tired of fighting, Ari," he whispered. "Tired if being weak, incomplete. So fucking tired of struggling for control."

The way he shrunk away from her touch felt like a stab through the heart. The way he must have felt the last time they saw one another, when he looked to her for comfort and she looked back with guarded panic in her eyes. So she sunk against the bars, watching him, watching his eyes change from crimson to hazel with every other word.

“Why didn’t you tell me? I’m your wife, Matthias. I had no clue you had been struggling, no clue this had been so hard on you. I could have… I don’t know, helped maybe. Understood. If I had known you were having trouble controlling the demon I wouldn’t have…” She stopped herself before she could say anymore.

“Curfew,” Rielle called, coming down the stairs, “Take a minute to say your goodnights and−“

“Curfew?’ Aurianna spat back, rage in her voice, “Curfew?!”

“Yes, curfew. After everything that happened last time Matthias was imprisoned here, I decided to institute a curfew to−“

“A fucking curfew? He’s my husband Rielle!”

“Yes, and a prisoner of the order. A prisoner that surrendered himself.”

“My husband, whom I haven’t seen since my wedding night! I had no idea if he was alive or dead, and you speak to me of a fucking curfew”

“After everything Matthias told me about the demon, I thought this would be the safest course of action.”

“You told her about the demon? Of course. Of fucking course you would. You would tell her anything, wouldn’t you? Because you still love her!” Aurianna was screaming now, hardly coherent between her volume and sobbing.

“Aurianna, you are being irrational. I’m sure it’s just the side effects of your pregnancy−“ Rielle said, feeling her patience dwindle as the tension in the dungeon grew.

“You even told her about my pregnancy. Why, to justify our union?” She turned on Rielle now, “Are you happy? He proposed to you out of love, and to me out of obligation.”

“Well, at least he married you! We were engaged longer than you two were even together!” Rielle shot back, no longer able to keep her level head. “How do you think I felt? Having to find out that you two had been sleeping together, after he promised me he would never see you like that!”

Aurianna froze at that, remember what he had told her, back when she was his student. Just before she rushed off, to prove that she was ready to be promoted to paladin.

“Ari, you’re my student. Even if I weren’t engaged to Rielle, I could never look at you like that. It would be a major abuse of my authority over you.”

“He was supposed to be my husband! But you, you had to be your hotheaded reckless self, and he sacrificed himself to save you.” Rielle accused, words she never thought would leave her mouth spilling out in her fury. She looked at Aurianna, felt the guilt written on the younger woman’s face. “Aurianna I’m sorry. “

“I’ll go,” Aurianna said, listless, eyes on the ground. “Curfew, right?”

“Forget the curfew, I…” Rielle called after her, but she was already half up the stairs.

Aurianna arrived, hurt and worried, and then Rielle followed close behind. And just like that, everything went to hell. Before he could get a word in edgewise they were snarling and slashing at each other, and then Ari stormed off. "That went well," he commented.

Emotions high, Rielle wheeled on him. "You didn't tell her?" she barked.

"No," he snapped back. "I didn't."

"Why?"

"Because I was afraid!" he snapped back. "Do you know what I wanted to do to her, when I lost control in Monsford? I'd have raped her - not made love to her, raped her - in front of the whole city! And I'd have killed anyone who tried to stop me!"

Rielle stared back at him, unflinching. "But you didn't, Matthias."

"Because I ran."

She hesitated, wanting to reach out to him, and then didn't. "That was the demon, Matthias. Not the man. And you still control it."

Matthias' laughter was bitter. "Don't you understand, Rie? I am the demon."

Willam skidded to a halt in front if Clara's door, then took a deep breath and tried to compose himself. He shouldn't look too eager, right? He should be cool, collected... right. Fuck that. Clara was back! He knocked, hard. "Clara?"

Sigurd came up next to him. "Dunno if they're here yet. She and Sue said something about a tour, and this is a big place." He chuckled at the sideways glance Willam gave him. "Yeah, yeah, I'm sure you know that already. How long have you known Clara?"

He thought. "About eight years now," he said. "We both came to the temple around the same time, but we didn't meet untik a year or so later. You?"

"She was much more Thora's friend than mine, back home." Sigured laughed at the memories. "Oh, we played together, but I was so much older and didn't want a baby following me around. But we were still friends, rjght up until she came here. And then..."

"Willam?" Clara, still clad in dusty travel clothes and scarred ring mail, stood at the far end if the hall with Sue and Thora. The two stared at each other and then rushed together, embracing.

Sigurd cocked his head, glancing at the other two women as they approached. "Not another one?"

Dinner with Justine and Cassi was awkward. It was hard to find a topic of conversation that wasn’t a tender spot for Aurianna. It seemed all the major events of the last few recent days affect her, in some way. Her father’s murder, her ex’s betrayal, her husband’s abandoning her , for her own sake. Even Cassi’s pregnancy couldn’t be comfortably mentioned, while the father of Ari’s child waited in cell for a possible death sentence.

So the couple talked about the little details of their day, dancing around the elephants in the room. Ari just stared at her plate, nodding occasionally, eating limply. Diner was over before Aurianna managed to speak.

“What am I going to do?”

It was a simple question, and yet it spoke volumes about the pain in Aurianna’s heart. Justine pushed down her anger at the man responsible for all of this and pulled Aurianna back against her. “Things will be okay, right? Even if…” Justine stopped before she said what was on both of their minds. Instead, she ran her fingers through Aurianna’s long hair. “You aren’t alone, okay? Cassi and I and here for you, and we will help you. All three of us, together. Our kids can grow up like siblings.”

Aurianna thought about it in silence. It was almost nice, if not for what it implied. Justine, Cassi and her, raising their children together. It wasn’t exactly what she wanted, but it was better than being alone. Still, she could help the way she tensed against her friend, at the thought of raising the child she created with Matthias without him. “You would want that?” Aurianna asked after awhile.

“Ari, of course. I love you.” Justine claimed.

“We both do. You don’t have to be alone,” Cassi joined in now. “Besides three adults to two babies might be a more manageable ratio.” That remark drew the first laugh of the night, and for Aurianna, the first laugh since she left Monsford.

“Stay the night,” Justine insisted, working at the laces Aurianna’s armor.

“I shouldn’t,” She protested weakly, as she was sat down on the bed, too exhausted to fight Justine and Cassi off.

“I am going to have to be firm here,” Cassi declared, taking off Aurianna’s boots, “And, as I am further along my pregnancy, I outrank you.”

“Then I don’t suppose I have a choice,” Aurianna shrugged, falling back down onto the bed. After everything that she had been through, sleep wasn’t far behind.

Clara hugged William until it began to feel awkward, with Sue, Thora, and Sigurd staring at them. But goddess, had she missed him. Finally they pulled away, just far enough to look at one another. “Did you get taller?” Clara asked, trying to figure out what was different about him.

“I think, yeah,” William laughed, “You grew as well. More beautiful I mean.” Clara laughed to cover her blush.

“Thanks. I missed you so much.”

“Me too. Clara I…” William started, losing himself in her sapphire eyes, “I should have told you, before, but…l love you. I know that now, now that I almost lost you. I love you Clara!” he came in for a kiss, not even waiting to see if she would say it back or not. Still, she pulled back.

“William, I love you too, but…we need to talk, first.”

Aurianna felt a lot better once she awoke in the morning. Cuddling up to her best friend and her best friend’s wife was nice, actually. It wasn’t the same as sleeping in Matthias’ arms, and the late night love making that often aroused from sleeping in his arms, but it was what she needed. The comforting touch of another person. Persons. The suggestion to stay with them, and raise their children together had a certain appeal, even if she didn’t have a clue how such a three person relationship might work. But Clara seemed to have it down, so apparently it could be done.

“Morning,” Cassi called, as Aurianna sat up, “Ginger Tea?”

“Yes please,” Aurianna called, stretching before standing up, “Can I help with breakfast?”

Cassi poured boiling water into two mugs and handed one to Aurianna, “It’s mostly done now. I guess you can set the table for us. Justine went by your place to pick you up some clean clothes. My understanding is that Matthias’ trial will be underway shortly after everyone finishes breaking their fast. Justine was called on to testify, and I’m sure you will be as well.”

“Yeah, she mentioned that, yesterday ,” Aurianna explained, carrying plates of food to the table. “Do you think she’ll…help?”

“Well, you know she doesn’t like him. But she does want to be happy, and even she can see he makes you happy. So she will do what she can. She’d do anything, for you,” Cassi reminded her, with a gentle smile.

“I’ll just have to pray it’s enough then.”

The room felt cramped with five teenagers crammed into it. Sue and Clara occupied the bed, Sue leaning against the headboard and Clara perched on the foot, and Thora sat on the dresser. Sigurd had chosen the windowsill, one leg braced against the frame, giving him a view of the room or the outside simply by turning his head. For the most part he had sat and listened, noodling a little on his harp as he did. Willam had ended up with the one wooden chair in the room, and he looked stunned. "But... you... that is..." Shaking his head, he tried again. "You're engaged?"

Clara looked, well not embarrassed. Concerned, maybe. "Yes," she said, biting her lip.

"To..." Willam looked around. "To everyone else in this room?"

"Uhm... yes," Clara managed.

Willam poured himself a drink from the wine bottle Thora had brought along, and downed half of it at one go. "That's... uhm... when? I mean, you never said anything..."

"Shortly after I left the Temple," Clara said.

"How? I mean, it's only been... three months?" Willam looked stunned. "Don't most courtships, well, take longer?"

"At the time Sigurd and I asked her," Thora said, jumping in, "we were, well, we were going to go offer ourselves to Lord Verrier. As tribute." She shrugged. "And, in fairness, we've known her forever."

"Tribute?" Willam managed, after a moment.

"Long story," Sigurd said. "We were trying to persuade Lord Verrier to come to the aid of Monsford, when the Host of Torment came against us." He gave Clara a reproachful look. "Of course, someone had to get all heroic and..."

"I've said I'm sorry!" Clara snapped. "Willam, I..."

"And Sue?"

Everyone turned to look at the blonde Paladin. She flushed red, and shrugged. "I... ah... well... I'd have... probably asked Clara myself. You know, when we got older. But... with Thora as well, and how..." She trailed off, the blush getting darker and redder.

"I see," Willam said. He drained his cup and rose, motions a little stiff. "Well, then. I... guess I'll be... going."

"Willam," Clara said, coming to her feet. "You... you don't..."

"Why?" he snapped, expression hurt. "You've got your fiancees. Your... lovers. You clearly don't need me around!"

"You don't have to go!" Clara said, reaching out.

"Why not?" Willam snapped back, accidentally crushing the handle of the door as he tore it open. "You did!" And then he was running, not bothering to think about where he was going.

There was dead silence in the room for the span of a few breaths. "Well," Sigurd remarked. "That went well." Then he had to throw himself to the floor as, with a cry of pain and fury, Clara blindly threw Willam's glass at him and sprinted from the room as well. The ceramic shattered against the wall, pelting the occupants with shards and droplets of wine.

"You really are an idiot, sometimes," Thora told him.

Rubbing sleep from her eyes, Rielle hesitated before the door to Justine and Cassi's chambers. She hadn't slept a wink, and she knew she should have. Edwin had told her as much, had tried to tempt her to bed and had even tried to bodily carry her to bed at one point. But she hadn't slept. Her fumbled conversation with Aurianna, and her studies, and her resurgent affection for Matthias and her guilt about it had all chased around and around her mind. Add to that the stress of her new duties, and she'd sat up pouring over old texts until dawn greyed the night sky. And Goddess bless Edwin, for handling things so well. He'd worked out part of what was bothering her, and was handling it so much better than she would have.

"You've got feelings for him, still," he'd said as he handed her a steaming mug of tea. "Of course you do. You were engaged to him for years, before he.... well, before he was lost to us." Then he'd slipped his arms around her waist, and nuzzled into her hair. "Just means you're human, that's all. But... be careful. Don't let the memories of the man he was blind you to the monster he's become, love."

She raised a hand, lowered it, then raised it again and knocked. After a minute, during which time she considered walking away, the door opened. "Yes... oh! Lady Commander! What... how can I help you?" Justine asked, looking startled.

"I... I understand that Aurianna spent the night with you. Is she still here? I, well, I need to talk to her."

“William!” Clara called, feeling déjà vu from the time she chased after Sue in Monsford. Was this her life? Hurting the people she cared about?

“What Clara? Did you forget to mention one of your lovers before?” William snapped, wheeling on her.

“It’s not like that. I mean, not exactly.” Clara argued, “When we were together before, you knew I sometimes kissed Sue at night. You weren’t jealous then.”

“Well, you said that was just practice,” William shot back. Looking down, unable to meet her eyes, he continued, “Besides, the thought of you two together was hot.”

“And it’s less hot than imagining me with Thora? Or Sigurd?” Clara tempted.

“It’s less hot because you don’t want me anymore. You don’t need me anymore,” he protested, his dark eyes wet with tears.

“William, when did I say that I didn’t want you anymore? I just needed you to understand, I am with all of them. But, you can be part of that, too. If you want.”

“Me?” He asked, his pitch rising nearly an octave, before he cleared his throat, “With you and all of them…?” He braced himself against the wall as he tried to get a grip on his situation. “How does it even work, with that many people?”

“Well,” Clara started, pushing him against the wall, “It starts with a kiss.”

“Sorry, I wasn’t sure what you would want. I hope his is okay,” Justine apologized sheepishly, holding up the white dress from Aurianna’s things.

“Actually that looks perfect. Loose and comfortable, just what I need after having to wear my armor for the past two weeks straight,” Aurianna confessed. Once she finished her breakfast she changed, just in time to catch the knock at the door.

“Who is that?” Cassi asked, sipping her tea, “You’re the only one who bugs me for arrows at this hour.” She nudged Justine and smirked at Aurianna, “I’m pretty sure it’s half the reason she married me.”

“Yep. That and you’re cute,” Justine quipped, leaving her with a peck on the cheek as she stood to open the door. "Yes... oh! Lady Commander! What... how can I help you?" Justine asked, looking startled.

"I... I understand that Aurianna spent the night with you. Is she still here? I, well, I need to talk to her."

Aurianna peeked out now, meeting Rielle’s eyes. “I’m here. Shall we walk?” Rielle nodded, and the two women made their way to the courtyard. The temple was still this morning, early enough most people were still waking up and getting ready for the day. They sat together on a bench in the gardens. Neither woman spoke for a moment.

“Rielle, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize you still cared for him, I thought you had moved on, by now,” Aurianna started, trying to diffuse the tension between them.

“So did I,” Rielle said, “until I saw his eyes, and saw that same man I fell in love with all those years ago. And now he is married to you, and it’s hard not to feel as if I was replaced by a younger, more beautiful woman.”

“Younger perhaps. I don’t know about more beautiful,” Aurianna argued. “Besides you two were so perfect together. I don’t challenge him the way you do, and we don’t have nearly as much in common as you two did. Sometimes I feel like he’s with me because he feels he owes me something. Because he can’t have you.”

“Don’t be ridiculous Aurianna. He sacrificed himself for you. Clearly he loved you then too. Differently, perhaps, but loved you all the same,” Rielle justified.

“Do you hate me? Because it’s my fault he−“

“No Aurianna. It’s the demons that forced his hand. The demons that took him from me. It’s not your fault.” Rielle pulled her into a hug now, as much for her own benefit as for Aurianna’s. They were quiet for awhile yet, before pulling away.

“Is there any hope for him, Rielle?” She asked softly.

“There is always hope, Aurianna. Speaking of which, I have a theory, and I hoped you could give me some insight to confirm it. Matthias said that you loved him, even when he was a demon. Is that true?”

“Yeah, I did. Do, possibly.”

“Why? I love him, and I couldn’t look past the monster to see the man I loved.”

Aurianna shrugged, “He wasn’t just a monster. He was more than the demon, even then. He saved me from Baath Me’el. Yes, he took me in the first place, but he also saved me. After Jeoram…raped me, the first time. I threw myself at him. I felt as if I deserved to be treated like that. Matthias rejected me, despite the desire I felt form him. Reminded me that I was stronger than what I had gone through. Put my own well-being before his lust.”

“He didn’t sleep with you, the first time you offered yourself? I didn’t know this.” Rielle considered for a moment, before continuing. “What was he like when you traveled to Monsford together? He said he fled from you because he was afraid he would hurt you. Rape you.”

“He didn’t hurt me. Didn’t even try anything. Gave me time to recover from what happened, waited until I came to him before we slept together again.”

“So, even as the demon, he didn’t try to rape you?”

“No. but there was an incident with Clara. She attacked him under the influence of the Dark Choir, and he lashed back. He threatened her, before I stopped him.”

“That makes sense. The Dark Choir brings out one’s worst urges and desires. And that the only time he lost control?” she nodded, before meeting Aurianna’s eyes. “Then he can learn to control it again.”

“What about his trial?” Aurianna asked, trying not to get swept up in Rielle’s optimism. “Is there any chance he won’t be put to the stake?

Rielle laughed, in a way that didn’t seem all that appropriate in the situation. “Well, both the Oracle and I will be on the tribunal. So, perhaps.”

Willam may not have had the benefit of Clara's recent and intensive practice, but he had always been a quick learner. One kiss turned into two, and then more, and hands began to wander and explore. She sighed as he cupped her breasts through her blouse, and he groaned as she nipped at his ear and untied the lacings of his shirt. "Goddess," she gasped, kissing his exposed chest, "i just thought of something..."

"I'm thinking of a lot of things," he managed, offering a little smile. "What are you..."

She pressed him back into the wall, kissing him fiercely. "I won't have to ho,d back with you," she whispered. "You bear the Mantle as well." Her tongue slipped into his mouth, and she moaned as he gripped her hips and twisted, pushing her into the wall. "I have to be careful with Sigurd... Ah! Yesh, do that!"

Willam had worked her shirt up, and was experimentally pinching her nipples as he kissed her. "This?" he grinned, rolling one bud between finger and thumb.

"Uh-huh," she nodded, wide-eyed and breathless. She ground herself against the hardness in his trousers, moaning. "Goddess I..."

"Clara? Willam?"

"Fuck," both of them breathed, starting to giggle as Sue came around the corner.

"Clara? You all... fuck!"

"No, not yet," Clara snapped. "What?"

Sue started giggling as well. "I guess everythings all right, then?"

"It will be," Clara grumbled, biting Willam's nose as he sniggered. "If you'll either go away or..."

"Cool. C'mon, then. The Inquisition has summoned you."

"...strip down and what?" Concern flickered across Clara's face. "Why?"

"Not just you. Me and Thora and Sigurd as well. It seems we're witnesses."

"Witnesses?"

Sue nodded. "They're putting the Tr... Matthias on trial."

"State your name, for the record."

"Matthias Kellikanos." He peered around the room. It was ooen and airy, and the Tribunal sat on a dais backlit by huge windows. There were three of them: Lady Commander Rielle, the Oracle, and High Inquisitor Morris Halel. His fate was in their hands - his no-nonsense abandoned fiancee, the enigmatic voice of the Goddess, and a man reputed to have a heart of gold. That he stored in a cupboard, where it wouldn't trouble him.

"You are charged," intoned the High Inquisitor, "with apostacy. Traffic with demons. Betrayal of your Oaths. Murder. Rape." He fixed Matthias with eyes like chips of flint. "How do you plead?"

"Guilty," he replied, razor teeth flashing in his smile. "Would there be a point to any other plea? we both know Paladins can hear lies."

The members of the Tribunal glanced at each other. "It's going to be one of those cases, isn't it?" Rielle sighed.

"Perhaps," the Oracle replied, her golden gaze on Aurianna as she satvwaiting to speak. Then she glanced at the door and smiled. "Perhaps."

“If there is no doubt of your crimes, we will right along to sentencing. Typically, these crimes would warrant a death sentence. However, you have since abandoned your demonic ways and even fought against demons on the side of light, and will take this inconsideration when deciding your sentence. We will now hear testimony in regards to your actions since rescuing the Paladin Aurianna from Baath Me’el’s court.”

In turn, Roland, Dianna, Justine Sue and Clara testified to his actions at the Siege of Monsford.

“His spell broke the dam, which repelled the demonic invaders, to buy Monsford time to prepare a proper defense.”

“He kept the aerial demons from overrunning our position.”

“Damage to the town was minimized under his influence.”

“His magic gave us the opportunity to strike Yarost’cherev down once and for all.”

“We all would have died, had he not been there.”

In addition, Clara testified about his actions on the night they had fled the temple. That he saved Aurianna from being killed by the men who raped her, as well as giving Clara an opportunity to fight off Jeoram, before he could make good on this threats to rape and murder her. She gave further testimony, alongside Sue, Sigurd, and Thora, that there had been no sign of his demonic malevolence in the time he had spent in Monsford, until the attack by the traitor Jeoram Sanal. Even then, he left before causing any harm to anyone there.

“The final testimony will come from Lady Aurianna.” She took her turn on the stand, feeling each set of eyes upon her, not the least of which was her husband’s. “State your name, for the record.”

“Aurianna Kellikanos,” She started, using her married name for the first time. There were gasps and murmuring from the crowd now, as word of her marriage hadn’t gotten around yet. But, as she had stated in her vows, she was proud to be his wife, and she wasn’t any less proud now, even with him on trial for his crimes.

“Let’s start with your capture, and subsequent rescue at Matthias’ hands. At what point did he intervene on your behalf?”

“After five demons had… had raped me. He attacked and killed the sixth.” She explained, her voice empty as the day briefly replayed itself in her mind.

“And has he ever explained why he changed his mind, after having captured you?”

“Last I heard, he still didn’t know he did it.”

“And yet, you’ve forgiven him?”

She took a moment. She wasn’t exactly sure when she had forgiven him, or even exactly why, but, “Yes, I forgave him.” She continued to give testimony, of the ways he had personally protected her, and others.

“I could not have defeated Hydranes or Yarost’cherev, had I not been empowered by his love for me, and my love for him, in turn.” It was a bold statement, perhaps even a bit reaching, and yet true.

“We have heard all the witness accounts. Matthias, do you have anything to say in your defense?”

All eyes turned to Matthias, waiting. For his part he simply stood, looking over the faces of those he had called to his defense. Their expressions ranged from icy contempt to indifference to worry, with Aurianna's eyes filled with a sort of icy dread. Then he turned back to the Tribunal. Rielle's expression was a match for Aurianna's, while Hallel watched him with undisguised loathing and the Oracle... well, with her enigmatic air of general amusement, who could tell what she was thinking?

"Do I have anything to say in my defense?" he repeated with a soft sigh. "What could I say? I'm a demon. Demons lie, unless the truth will cut deeper." He glanced back at Aurianna. "But I am also, now, a man. And men lie. Unless they speak the truth."

He smiled a sad smile at his new bride. "I did what I did, is the most truthful thing I can say. I did what I did, some of it for reasons I understand and some of it for reasons I don't."

"Is that all?" High Inquisitor Hallel asked.

Matthias looked back at his wife one last time, then met Hallel's gaze squarely. "Perhaps."

In the background, Clara made a strangled sound of stress-induced amusement. Hellel scowled. "Does the Tribunal require time for deliberation?" he asked.

"I..." Lady Commander Ruelle began, only to be cut off by a voice both strange and familiar.

"IT IS NOT NECESSARY," the Oracle proclaimed, rising. Her slight frame blazed with golden light as the power of the Goddess possessed her. The members of the Tribunal and the gathered Paladins fell to their knees before her, and Matthias covered his face with his arms and cowered away from Her presence.

"MY WAYWARD SERVANT HAS SINNED MIGHTILY AGAINST ME, AND MY ANGER IS KINDLED AGAINST HIM." She stride towards Matthias, the golden light surrounding her solidifying, taking the shape of armor and a great leaf-bladed spear. "HAS HE NOT BETRAYED HIS OATHS TO ME? HAS HE NOT.DEFILED MY HOLY PLACES AND MY FAITHFUL SERVANTS? HAS HE NOT WHORED HIMSELF TO MY ENEMIES?" The golden spear rose and fell, driving through Matthias' chest, and he screamed in mortal agony as it punched through his back.

"AND YET," the Voice of Afodesia proclaimed, staring at Matthias as he writhed on the shaft of the golden spear. "DESPITE ALL THIS, HE HAS EARNED A MEASURE OF MERCY FOR HIS DEEDS. KNOW THIS THEN, MY WAYWARD SON: ONE CHANCE HAVE YIU FOR REDEMPTION."

Matthias screamed again as the spear was torn from his chest. No wound was left behind, save for a golden scar where the blade had pierced him. "BAATH-ME'EL HOLDS YOUR SOUL AND YOUR SALVATION, MY TREACHEROUS SON. HIS DEATH IS YOUR LIFE."

She turned, allowing her golden gaze to fall first on Aurianna. "YOUR BURDEN IS GREAT, MY DAUGHTER. GREAT AND TERRIBLE. AND YET, IT IS NO MORE THAN YOU MAY BEAR. MY STRENGTH IS YOUR STRENGTH."

Finally, she turned to Rielle. "AND MY WISDOM IS YOURS, MY DAUGHTER. DO WHAT YOU MUST."

The golden light faded and condensed, leaving the Oracle standing with a golden spear. She swayed, took a step, and collapsed.

Everything happened so quickly, and yet painfully slow. Aurianna’s heart caught in her throat, as she waited to hear what his sentence might be. To know if they had been married in name only, and if she was to raise his child without him. The sad, resigned look in his eyes, as they met hers for the last time, as he prepared to accept his fate.

And then the glory of the Goddess consumed the Oracle and filled the room. Nothing short of beautiful and terrible and overwhelming. Still, she proclaimed her judgment of Matthias, and Aurianna cried out as her spear, so much like the one Aurianna herself wielded, pierced him through the heart. She wanted to run to him, to hold him against her, but she could only watch in awed stillness as the Goddess proclaimed his sentence.

Gasps and cries followed the Oracle’s collapse, and people rushed to her side, but Aurianna raced to Matthias, holding her husband in her arms for the first time since they had been wed. “Matthias,” she cried, tears filling her eyes. Not happy or sad, but collapsing under the weight of her burden. The burden the Afodisia assured her she was capable of carrying. He could live, he could have salvation, at the cost of Baath Me’el’s life.

Once the Oracle had been tended to, Rielle called for order. “Seeing as the Goddess has spoken, anything I say now is merely a formality. Matthias, you have been found guilty of crimes set against you. Only death can pay for your crimes, but, as the Goddess commanded, it need not be your death that pays the atonement. The Demon Lord of Lust is a plague upon the land, and cleansing his stain from it can in turn cleanse the stain upon your soul.”

The assemblage of Paladins left, most still in shock after what they witnessed and felt. Clara almost stayed, until Sue and William pulled her away, leaving Aurianna, Rielle and Matthias alone.

“Once I reapply the bindings to the demon, I will release you to Aurianna’s custody. You aren’t a prisoner of the Order any longer, but I will require that either she or myself supervise you while you are here. It may sound a bit condescending, but this due to the nature of the binding I will be applying, this time.”

She met his eyes at this time, smiling weakly, “I figured it out, Matthias. Baath Me’el didn’t remove your entire soul, just enough to strip you of your humanity. What was left was the animus, the part of you that keeps you grounded. Your primal emotions and desires. The demon was entwined with this part of you. It’s actually far more effective than merely replacing your soul with a demon. The demon worms itself into your own desires, tempting you with what you already want. As you give in, the demon grows stronger, becoming more like you, as you become more like it.

“I am still not exactly sure what gave you the strength to fight against demon. Whether it was Aurianna or Afodisia herself,” she swallowed hard now, forcing herself to continue, “but you were able to control the demon once, therefore you could learn to control it again. I will provide you, and Aurianna, with command words, to contain and release portions of the demon’s power. Seeing as you might need it, if you are to succeed against Baath Me’el.”

Rielle applied the bindings that would keep the demon secure within Matthias, until he decided to call upon its strength. She turned to Aurianna

“Aurianna, you are the keeper of his bindings. The one hold holds the keys. You will need to apply a firm touch, to keep the demon under control. He will need your help, and your love.” Rielle smiled sadly at that. “He is yours, now.”

The bindings took time, and Matthias did his best to pay attention and take mental notes. His magical studies had been in the Prime Speech, the language of Gods and Dragons, granting power to shape and control the natural world. Theurgy and necromancy had been neglected, and the bindings used both. He didn't follow even half of what Rielle did, but he could feel the effects - his demonic soul lurked within, still, and he could feel its presence. But it was silent.

Rielle's final, sad comments made him smile wistfully. "Actually," he observed, fingering the golden scar on his chest, "it seems I'm the Goddess's, on loan. But..." he took Ari's hand, "as long as she wants me..."

Rielle shook her head. "Maybe you haven't changed, Matthias. Not that much." She flashed a grin at Aurianna. "He's still an idiot. If he trues this noble suicide routine again, kick his ass once for me."

Rising, she headed for the doors. Then she stopped and looked back. "Aurianna? The... your father's funeral will be in three days. The Celebration will be the night before." She hesitated, trying to decide how best to continue. "As Mykel's adult child, you would customarily attend. But... given the nature and location of the ceremony, well... nobody will think ill of you, should you decline to participate." She glanced at Matthias. "Besides," she added, winking at Aurianna, "you have... other ways to Celebrate."

Matthias shook his head as she left. "Well. This won't be awkward or anything. Having my former fiancee as your boss."

Clara and the others joined them. "That," Sigurd was saying, "that whole thing? I'm writing a lay, I am. That was increcible! Oh, and what's this Celebration? What's she talking about?"

"It's..." Clara began, slowly.

"It's a celebration of life itself," Thora said, leaping in. "A way for those who remain to embrace life in the face of death."

"All right," Sigurd said, slowly. "So, what's this business about Lady Ari not being looked down on?"

"It..." Clara suddenly gasped, wide-eyed. "Goddess!"

"What?" Sigurd was sounding tetchy, niw.

Thora shrugged. "It's celebrated with feasting and love-making, shared among all who attend. They..."

"So it's an orgy?" Sigurd interrupted.

"Yes, in essence," Thora confirmed.

"Cool!" Sigurd grinned at the thought. "So what's the big deal with..."

"A priestess or Paladin is chosen by lot to embody the Goddess fir the Celebration," Matthias declared. "Any who wish to come in unto Her may do so..."

"Upon Her altar," Clara whispered, watching Ari for a reaction. "Within the sanctuary."

Aurianna shifted slightly, squeezing Matthias’ hand as they began to speak of the Celebration. She hadn’t given it much thought, since her mind had been consumed with concern over her husband, and his fate. Two months had been long enough to distance herself from the immediate horror of it, especially as she had been constantly busy with this or that. Though, not having to walk past the place where it happened to her on a daily basis helped too.

But now their eyes were upon her, waiting to see if she would fall apart from triggered memories. She knew it was concern and embarrassment and love, but it made her feel worse. As if she were casting a dark shadow on their joy.

“Seems safe to say I won’t be there,” Aurianna muttered. Clearing her throat, she changed the subject, “Is anyone else hungry? Or just me because I’m pregnant?” They all spoke in assent, whether sincere or glad to be off the subject, Aurianna couldn’t be sure. But she didn’t care either way. “Clara, have you shown your friends to the Mess Hall yet? Why don’t you head over there, and we will catch up shortly.”

As soon as the teenagers were out of the room, Aurianna pulled Matthias close to her, kissing him with need informed by everything they had been through since they last kissed. She had been strong, hiding behind a stoic gaze and tightened jaw, for too long. Her eyes were blurry with tears when they finally parted, leaning her forehead against his. “Goddess, just this morning I feared I might never again know your touch,” She confessed, intertwining her fingers with his. Another deep, desperate kiss, as the tears flowed, moaning alongside his tongue. “I need you,” she gasped, before moving in to engulf his mouth once, lips almost rough against his.

Pulling away, she looked at into his eyes. Relief at having him, having him alive before the weight of his atonement quest could catch up to them, took the form of a soft laugh leaving her lips. “You still owe me a wedding night…”

MF Smut Scene: Matthias and Aurianna
"I never thought I'd hold you again," Matthias murmured, crushing Aurianna's body against his. His hands explored her body as he returned her kiss, marvelling at hiw good she felt and how fortunate he was. "And then... when the Oracle..."

Aurianna kissed him again, then, silencing bim with lips and tongue. "You still owe me a wedding night..." she laughed.

"So I do," Matthias laughed, scooping her up in his arms. "So I do..."

"Does... that sort of thing happen? A lot, I mean?"

"Hm?" Clara responded, the sound indistinct around a mouthfull of hotcake. She swallowed. "What?"

"That whole thing," Sigurd expanded, gesturing vaguely in the direction of the judgment hall. "With that one woman getting all glowy."

The other four teenagers, all clustered around a table in the mess hall, looked up from their breakfasts to stare at him. "That woman..?" Willam asked slowly. "You mean the Oracle?"

"I... guess," Sigurd shrugged.

"And... 'all glowy'?" Sue sounded disbelieving. "That's... you... that is... you're engaged to a priestess! How can you not..?"

Thora giggled, just a little, and shook her head. "In the Kingdoms, Afodisia has a minor cult following. Lord Verrier's hostility to the gods means that..."

"So, that was Afodisia?" Sigurd interrupted.

"Yes," Clara answered. "Manifest through Her Oracle." She cut another bite of hotcake. "And I don't believe that was a nirmal part of the tribunal."

"Then that really will make one hell of a lay!" Sigurd exulted.

"No," Thora purred, running her foot up Sigurd's calf, "I make one hell of a lay..."

"Hostility to the gods?" Willam asked, puzzled.

"Lord Verrier is also called 'the Godslayer'," Thora answered, still chuckling at how Sigurd had jumped. "I don't know how..."

"When I was on Faerfaeora," Clara murmured, voice and gaze distant. "He showed me his trophy room. A cavern, with racks of weapons and armor lining the walls. Racks carved from angelic bone, supporting their war-gear." Suddenly, everyone was staring at her. "In the center were five skulls, skulls he said had once belonged to gods." She poked at her food, moving it around on her plate with her fork. "I didn't recognize their names. But I could still... feel Their presence. The scraps of glory clinging to them still." She looked up. There was fear in her eyes. Fear, and something uncomfortably like greed or hunger. "He's earned the title. Godslayer."

Opening the door to Ari's apartment while holding her had been an exercise in logistics. But he'd carried her all the way from the hall of judgement, and he wasn't going to put her back diwn now. Not until he crossed the threshold with her. So, after a little fumbling, he managed to get inside and kick the door shut behind him. Then, stubbornly, he carried her over to the bed and lowered himself onto it, seating her on his lap as he did.

Arms still around her body, he drew her into a kiss. A quick, affectionate kiss that ended with his forehead pressed against hers as he smiled. "It's mirning, Aurianna Kellikanos," he said gravely. "So, I'm afraid we'll have to wait until evening to give you your wedding night."

He held that grave tone and expression for a moment, then kissed her again and rather more thoroughly. As he did, he began to undo the laces on the white gown she wore. Cloth whispered iver her skin as he eased it open, and his hungry hands were gentle on the bare flesh beneath. "Although," he whispered, voice still grave as he nipped and kissed at her throat, "if we're still celebrating come sunset, then it counts..."

He kissed her again, putting all of his hunger and passion into it. "I love you, Ari. Goddess, I love you. My own Goddess of Love and War."

Aurianna knew she probably shouldn’t have let him carry her all the way across the courtyard to her quarters. But she was feeling a touch petty, perhaps. Besides, he didn’t complain until he was trying to figure out how to open the door with her in his arms. She tried to help, but he insisted, managing to get them both in and on the bed with just a bit of struggle.

“Hardly morning, husband,” she argued back, relishing in a chance to call him that, “Noon, at least, if not afternoon by now.” And then she lost herself in his kisses, one arm still draped around his neck, and the other cupping his face, trailing over the rough stubble coming in there. Sighing as his hand were warm on her skin, arching into his touch, desperate to feel more of him. Conflicted between wanting to move slow, and indulge and savor one another completely, and wanting him inside her once more, making love as they had gotten used to doing nearly every day back in Monsford. And as he kissed her, whether sensing her longing, or just feeling it himself, she thought she just might melt in his hands, trembling under the weight of their passion.

"I love you, Ari. Goddess, I love you. My own Goddess of Love and War."

“And She has seen fit to return you to me. Let us glory in Her wisdom, in a manner most befitting Her. Let me be your Goddess, so they you may come in unto me, and we will experience the Divine together.” She kissed him thoroughly this time, fingers tugging at his shirt until they had to break off the kiss so she could pull it up off him. “Tell me, love, how do you wish to worship at Her altar?”

Matthias released her, lifting his arms just long enough toallow her to pull his shirt away. "How do I wish to worship her?" he grinned, pulling her against him and noticing she wore nothing beneath her dress as he kissed her once more. "Upon my knees and my back." He nipped at her throat as he worked the tiny buttons on the back of her dress, fingers stroking her skin as the fabric parted. "Spending hours singing the hymns of her sister Edana..."

His lips kissed a line of fire down her shoulder as he slid her dress down her arms and over her breasts. Despite the urge to just strip her naked, to wring cries of pleasure from her throat as he used her for his own delight, he forced himself to take the motions slowly, teasing her skin with the caress of the fabric. Time enough for hard and hungry fucking another day.

He'd seen her naked before, but the sight of her bared body made his throat catch as the dress fell to her waist. "Perfect," he whispered, tracing the curve of a full breast with his tongue. "You are so perfect. How shall I worship you, my goddess? Shall I ascend the heights?" He kissed her other breast now, culminating with his lips brushing feather-soft over her hardened nipple. "Shall I sing your praises on the peaks? Or shall I descend into the hidden depths, drinking deep of your flowing wells as I seek entrance into paradise?"

Aurianna could only shudder as hands ghosted over her skin and gown, a gentle touch she needed, in the wake of the tragedy she had lived through. His love and his patience shining through, even if she would have thought them both out of patience after weeks apart. “I will hear your prayers of worship, and take your offerings.”

He kissed her where flesh met steel, almost as an assurance that he found every part of her beautiful and desirable. Overcoming her insecurities with love and devotion, the love and devotion that was written on his face as she saw her own body reflected in his eyes. For two weeks, she felt self conscious about the way her body was changing, embarrassed about the weight she had gained. (The assertion that she had gained any weight at all drew a fierce glare from Cassi, who had demanded to know “Where this gained weight could be hiding?”) She swore she was crying again as he declared her perfect.

She swallowed hard, seeking composure as her emotions inundated her. Seeping into the blood to cast scarlet over her form, she could feel his praises against her skin.“There is much ground to cover, to demonstrate your piety. A pilgrimage is necessary.” Running her fingers through his hair, she moaned and sighed at his ministrations. She did relish this attention from him, though she was not going to let up easily upon him. “Journey to the shrine of Edana, and drink deeply of the holy water. Only then will you receive my blessing.”

"A pilgrimage?" Matthias murmured, kissing the salt tears from her eyes and cheeks. "Aye. Such a thing would be a necessary penance for my sinful neglect of my duties to my goddess." His lips found hers, and they were tangy as he drank deep from her. "Praises be to the mouth of my goddess," he whispered, "for their taste is above that if fine wine."

He moved her on his lap, leaning her back as his lips traced the line of her jaw. "Praise to the throat of my goddess," he whispered as his teeth scraped along the pulsing line of her artery, "which giveth utterance to her delight." He leaned her back further, kissing the hollow of her throat before moving over her breast. He didn't touch her then, content tko allow the heat of his lips and breath warm her skin. "Praise to the breasts of my goddess, twin hills of her pleasure."

One hand braced her back and the other cupped her rear as he took a taught nipple between his lips. A low moan escaped him as he suckled, laving the tender flesh with his soft tongue even as he pulled with his lips. His head began to move, tugging more insistently and groaning in delight as he devoured her hungrily. Then he broke away with a gasp, desire dancing in his eyes as he kissed her again. "But, I fear I neglect my pilgrimage," he whispered. "Surely my goddess would have me make an offering upon each hill?" With that he fell upon the neglected breast, cupping and supporting it with the hand thag had supported her back as he covered her with his mouth.

Finally, gasping, he broke away. "I fear that my way is hidden, my goddess," he told her with husky voice, tugging at the white skirts gathered about her hips. "I beg you, make clear my path that I may seek your most holy shrine."

The delight his spoke of was summoned from her throat as he gave his praise there. His offerings upon her breasts were most divine, drawing her approval from her lips. He might have served her pleasure now, but Aurianna was putty in his hands, melting against his touch and his words

“Have faith,” she exhaled, bringing his lips to hers once more, as she shifted off his lap, her own fingers trailing along his sweat slick muscles. “The part will be revealed , when you supplicate yourself upon your knees before me.” And with that she ease him off the bed before her, moving them both into position. Him, on his knees as in prayer, and her, sitting above him, legs balanced on each side of him. Her foot came up, toes tickling his side and arm until it reached his shoulder. Her fingers gathered the diaphanous material of her gown, pulling it up and her calf caressed his skin and her knee hook over his shoulder.

“The way is set before you now,” she instructed, exposing bare thigh to him, bunching her dress about her hips. “Your Goddess will hear your prayers and confessions, and you may be sanctified in my waters.”

Matthias twisted, half rolling as he laid Aurianna back across the bed. "Behold!" he grinned, his weight pressing her down into the mattress as he kissed her, "a miracle!" He kissed her again, then began kissing his way down her body. His lips trwced adiration over her brewsts and ribs, and he softly tasted every inch of her belly - a little larger now than it had been, but he adored it all the same.

His tongue traced a hot, wet circle around her navel, and he tugged fabric lower to nip at her lower abdomen. Then his weight was off her as he knelt at the edge of the bed, catessing her bare thighs as he did. "I approach the holy of holies on bended knee," he murmured, meeting her eyes across her body as he lifted one leg over her shoulder. "Let me praise me goddess with my mouth." Starting at her knee, he slowly kissed his way up her thigh, breathing deeply as he drank in the scent of her arousal. "The incense of her altar is a sweet savor. Let her find pleasure in my tongue and my speech."

Stroking her thigh with one hand, he spread the swollen lips of her sex with the other. For a long moment he hovered above her, breath hot on her slit as he explored her with his eyes. Then, with a low groan of pleasure, he slowly ran his tongue alomg her length and circled her clit. He repeated the action a second and then a third time, then lowered his mouth to her and kissed her deeply.

“Truly devout,” She sighed, running metal fingers through raven hair, gasping as his lips traveled up her thighs, “Only a true believer could…” She moaned, losing the ability to keep up the game as her bliss built, “could…could show such zeal… in his worship.” She could no longer hold back her delighted cries, or hide the way her body reacted to him, as he loved every inch of her.

“Your goddess…I…she approves,” She called out, rasping as she grew hotter and slicker before his consideration. “Be anointed by mine oils, and receive my blessing!” Her heels dug into his back as rapture took her.

Two weeks wasn’t that long, really, in the grand scheme of things. Though really, it was more like three, as they restrained their passions while Mykel shared their home. And there was something to be said about how carrying his child made her hungers even more intense.

Everything combined in that moment. Her need for him, feed by two weeks of worrying and sleeping alone. Her love for him, informed by the way he tenderly explored her and made her feel beautiful and desired. The pain of her wedding day, the loss and triggered memories, feelings she had pushed down until they ate at her from within. Her entire being demanded release, and her husband drove her to the edge.

“Matthias!” She called, as her legs squeezed tighter around his head and she fell back on her elbows. For a moment or two should could only gasp and sigh, quivering into his touch. She pulled him to her, smiling a dazed smile, kissing his lips with hunger, a hunger to taste her nirvana on his tongue “You have been sanctified, love. Are you ready to receive my blessing?”

Back
Top Bottom