Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Lady in Waiting (Lady Bloody Ava & Greeneyed23)

Rose went about the introductions when the kiss caught her attention and she watched as Rallon went to speak with Aelia.

The girl had butterflies and, despite how confident she was there was the slightest hesitation when it came to Greyson's family.

Her mind was filled with 'what ifs' that did not always end in the young couple's favor.

"Sir Haversham Hereford, my husband has spoken nothing but good about your fencing skills."

A burst of mighty laughter rang out and a smile was mostly hidden behind that mustache.

"You flatter me, My Lady, for I have heard far more tales about your husband and was eager when my nephew invited me to come and meet you in person on such a wonderful day no less. Happy Birthday and to many many more, My Lady."

Greyson's parents appeared to be a little more reserved than Haversham who could be described as nothing less than boisterous and jovial. Greyson looked at Amelia after she pressed a kiss to his cheek and successfully snagged his attention from making sure that his family behaved. His look was one of concern as she walked to her brother and silently insisted she have a moment with him.

The girl walked just far enough to not be heard but still be in sight. "I am so nervous and I know that I should not be, but what if they do not like me?"

Rose would have laughed had she heard merely for the fact that when she and Rallon had first spent more time together, he had not been seen as good enough for their daughter and here they were now.

He cupped her face. "Are you calling our parents liars?"

"What? No. Rall-"

"Are you calling them fools?"

"No..."

"Are you saying Rose is insane?"

"No."

"That she is stupid?"

"Never!"

"Am I a liar?"

"No."

"Stupid?"

"No."

"Then hear me sister mine. That boy loves you. Inside and out. And the only way for anyone to dislike you is to be mad, stupid, and a liar. You are kind, loyal, brave, and brilliant far beyond your years. You are the essence of our mother come once again. And I challenge you to name anyone who truly hated our mother."

She nodded and he kissed her forehead. "Now. Get your boy and make the moment happen. And know that Mom and Dad and James are so very proud of you. As am I."

She gave him a long, crushing hug. Then departed.

Rallon returned, kissing Rose's cheek. And grinned. "The famous Haversham. I am told you and I need to spar sometime before you leave."

His hidden hand was as ever softly stroking Rose's skin, currently over her spine.

From the corner of her eye, Rose knew that her husband had to be reassuring Amelia about her relationship.

It was moments like these that caused her to fall in love with him all over again. The kiss fueled her smile.

Haversham laughed and took his wide-brimmed hat and bowed to Rallon before placing it under his arm to leave his balding head exposed without a care in the world.

"Maybe for the occasion of their wedding we can put on a display for the guests? I safely assume blessings have been given and the details can be hashed out..."

The great thing about this man was that he was, in no way, too fond of the current Lady Hereford and held no qualms with bringing up the aw that was Greyson's mother whenever he thought she needed to be humbled. Still, Haversham was a man that traveled the lands to learn about many cultures, with fencing being a passion that he always strived to perfect.

"I have not had a good challenge in a long time, and I hear that you are just the person to challenge these old bones."

This man seemed like a fun and adventurous one. Despite his slim stature, he had to be agile and well-focused due to his practice.

"Lady Granger, you remind me of the late Lady Hereford and brighten a room in an instant. I must thank your parents for the treasure that is your birth, dear Lady as I have heard nothing but positive things about you and your vibrant family."

"Uncle Haversham..." Greyson trying o prevent the man from stirring the put with his stepmother and to get things moving along. It was clear as day that the boy only had Amelia at the forefront of him mind.

The Queen spoke. "I feel the final answer is for Duchess Granger as it is her day. But I for one would be delighted to see such a martial display."

Rallon bowed to her. "I would be honored Your Majesty. If my love gives consent?"

The room went quiet as they awaited her answer.

Rallon chuckled. "Now now. That is not fair to pressure her so."

They laughed and a low murmur began, but clearly they all awaited her answer.

Rose completely forgot about the change of title and since it had just happened the look of surprise on the faces of their new company was very much understandable.

The delay in answer was not due to peer pressure, but the fact that the wedding felt like an eternity away and she would have loved to see the duel sooner rather than later, but the guest would no doubt enjoy the spectical as well.

"It think that it would be a lovely addition to the celebration. "

There were a few cheers from around and the conversations continued.

Rose watched as Alyssa looked ap at the Queen and and made a distinct whine with her tiny hands up.

"She humbly requests to give Your Highness a kiss." It was an adorable sight. "She truly loves you."

The day was filled with so much that Rose was almost having issues keeping up.

"We have an engagement to announce and another celebration to note."

Looking over to Amelia and Greyson and the young couple smiling and holding hands brought back fond memories to Rose.

The Duchess ordered fresh drinks for everyone to toast to the future of the young couple.

"Would you care to do the honors?" As Amelia's eldest brother and guarding, it seemed only fitting.

Rallon shook his head.

"Boy aint asked her yet."

"Rallon!" Amelia blushed furiously.

He looked back calmly. "You want her Greyson you better ask her yourself."

Greyson smiled. And turnes to Amelia, holding both her hands. Then knelt and kissed them. "Amelia...will you marry me?"

"Yes!"

As they kissed Rallon raised his glass. "I hereby announce the engagement of Greyson and Amelia. And to mark the occasion, I will be dueling his uncle in the courtyard in fifteen minutes."

The crowd cheered.

The Queen held Alyssa close, smirking at Rose. "Your husband is full of mischief."

Then Lilah's beau was proposing. Then Jessica's.

Rallon made the same announcements. Then an addendum. "As you can see we are expanding our family greatly. We will discuss this expansion and it's results with those required as soon as possible. Now Haversham!"

~

Rallon was now to his breeches.

And drawing many looks.

Haversham had stripped to his tunic, breeches, and boots.

The ladies were in the balcony, the men in the courtyard. Thea was standing before Rose, holding her hands under her chin as she peered over the railing, her head pressed against Rose's middle.

Rallon's hard form and scarred skin was drawing many comments, including from the Queen. "He is truly a most experienced man."

Rallon drew his blade, Haversham did the same, and Fisher stepped forward. "Gentlemen, this is a duel of honor and skill. The point is to celebrate life. The duel ends with the sampling of blood from the torso. Take care and good luck gentlemen."

He stepped back as they marched forward, bowed, crossed blades, then settled into their positions.

Haversham was more stylistic. His posture was languid and flowing, but no less effective.

Rallon was the battle hardened veteran. He shifted to present no target for his foe, and crouched only slightly, his bare feet slipping easily off the polished marble.

Fisher gave them a long moment. Then called. "Begin!"

Haversham was quick and clever, going for a rapid series of blows right from the start.

But Rallon bent his body and ducked away from these with unerring ease, once bending at the waist until he seemed to be laying on air as he ducked a sweeping slash.

Then he batted away thrust and gave a series of deflected blows that drew gaves as sparks flew.

Then he suddenly dropped his blade, ducked a flurry, and caught the sword, forcing Haversham to dance back twenty feet to avoid a series of near blows.

To his feet, legs, middle, chest, and everyone gasped as the tip of Rallon'a sword brushed the magnificenr mustache.

Then Haversham spun away from a thrust and fell to his own attack, driving Rallon back twice the distance.

And smiling.

As was Rallon.

But Rose noticed something more. Her husband's eyes were dancing.

He was of course not trying to hurt this lovely gentleman. But he was having fun.

Which told Rose how very good Haversham was. Rallon was facing a genuine challenge. And having a great time.

They danced up and down the courtyard, trading dodges, deflections, parries, and attacks.

Haversham did move like a dancer as he dueled, his movements fluid and graceful.

Rallon was no less so, but there was a ferocity to him that Haversham simply lacked.

For ten lovely minutes they moved and flowed around one another.

Then Rallon grinned. And spun, but also changed hands mid spin.

And then Haversham froze.

Rallon'a blade was against his chest. Not the tip but an edge. Lightly placed, but even as all looked on a blossom of red grew.

Haversham looked down. "Blast."

And stepped back. He drew apart the fabric to reveal a three inch long cut, quite shallow. "Well done my friend."

Rallon bowed. "An excellent move yourself sir. And a marvelous performance. Lord Haversham my friends."

They all applauded wildly after that show, and Rallon insisted on patching Haversham up himself, and gave him a new shirt. And was fully cleaned and dressed when he rejoined his wife and guests, to a delighted applause.

He kissed Rose and managed to steal Alyssa from the Queen, and called for music as he took Alyssa for a dance.

The girl clung to her whirling father and squealed happily while the Queen moved to stand beside Rose. "That was marvelous. And how precious."

The song had changed and now Alyssa had her head on his shoulder, her tiny arms about his neck as he swayed with her.

"You want more of course. After so many years apart I imagine you plan to have children until you simply can't anymore. Clearly you have more than enough love for all of them. I do love this family. You give me such hope. When I do move here permanently you must promise to visit frequently. Though I expect I may just as well dwell here. I love this house."

She gave Rose's hand a squeeze. "Happy Birthday my dear."

And softly swayed along watching Rallon and Alyssa, while the the newly engaged couples held onto one another and swayed to the music and each other.

Tia popped up on Rose' other side. "Is there anything else my lady?"

Rallon was such a forward and loving man.

Watching Greyson ask Amelia for her hand and the young girl flowing with happiness was a sight to enjoy.

There was a loud cheer of congratulations for all that were newly engaged.

Rose gasped in an exciting display as Rallon and Haversham prepared for their duel display.

The excitement was in the air and the Duchess could think of no better form of entertainment than this at the moment.

It was quite the sight and these two gentlemen left everyone in awe and on their toes.

Not many thought of fencing as a serious sport, but anyone who had the honor of watching these two highly skilled people would have changed their mind in an instant.

Rose would have been honest with herself if she said that she was torn between admiring her husband as he was and the actual duel.

Everyone seemed to hold their breath for, what felt like, an eternity when the Duke finally won and a might cheery rang out.

Rose had a feeling that they would be seeing Sir Haversham at their home more often after today.

The kiss was more than welcomed and the sight of father and daughter dancing was undeniably adorable.

Her Majesty's company was comforting as they both looked onto the lovely display.

There was no way that Rose could not smile. The woman was almost happy to the point of tears, that were easily blinked back.

"The children we have will be blessed to have you as their family, as we all are and I am excited to have you permanently move here."

Tia was a bit of a surprise, but Rose hugged her friend without a care in the world as to what anyone else thought.

"How is your family doing? I bet they are in love with David." Rose had many questions or Tia. Like how Fisher was adjusting and if Fisher even knew about the surprise.

"I would like to take up my sword lessons with Rallon, when we have the time, but the dagger and bow I am also very excited for." It seemed like there would be no time t do all that she wanted.

"Oh and my grandbabies!! Oh they are so adorable!!" There was an overwhelming joy to this day and she knew that she would fall into a deep sleep the moment her head hit the pillow.

The Queen laughed. "Surely you can practice even while pregnant."

Rallon popped up just then. "That was my plan Your Majesty. Wanna hold this smelly thing?"

Alyssa giggled as she was handed over, though she did demand a pause to snuggle her mother first.

Then she settled into the Queen's with a gurgle.

The Queen nuzzled her then spoke. "You plan to work her while pregnant?"

"Your Majesty the hard part is getting Rose to sit still. Especially when pregnant. She gets very restless. With swordplay, dagger work, archery, and some other combat craft I plan to teach her, including the crossbow, will keep her busy. And of course that one has to learn the sword."

"What? Why?"

Rallon arched a brow. "She is my heir. She must know the blade."

The Queen blinked. Then nodded. "As is your right..."

Rallon turned away from a moment, and the Queen noted Tia beaming at the Duke. "You approve?"

"Very much so Your Majesty. I am the eldest in my family. I do not see why the majority of the inheritance should fall to my brother simply because he is my brother ."

"...fairly put. Though I know John would disagree with you."

Rallon chuckled. "He may disagree but he will not decree my heir for me."

It was said lightly, but everyone knew wars had started over such insults.

And no one doubted that Rallon would sack Rome herself to protect Alyssa.

Of course what he might do to rescue Rose was an alarming thought.

Rose herself knew that he considered nothing and no one beyond his reach when it came to her safety and happiness. King, Pope, or even Emperor were at risk if Rose was in danger.

He had never said the words, but she knew the man and the fire within.

It was why John, for all his corrupt power and influence, did not so much as annoy Rallon.

Rallon had fought kings, emporers, sultans, and a thousand other potentates in the East. And in the end he had learned something. They were just men.

While she was his Rose. His everything.

All this Rose knew. And all this he communicated again as he nodded to the Queen, cupped Rose' cheeks, gazing into her eyes, then kissed her deeply.

Then he broke the kiss, and gently spun her, so she was not leaning against his chest, his arms about her waist. "Now. Did you tell Tia the grandbabies names?"

Tia gasped. "You named them already?"

Rallon nodded. "All Cynthia and Tuchesi approved of course."

Rose started to come up with a way to explain the answer to the Queen when Rallon stepped in with perfect timing.

Their youngest daughter held the most adorable of smiles as she got a second with her mother who smothered the little one with pecks all over her tiny head which caused the wee baby Granger to giggle and squirm before being handed off to the Queen.

Her husband answered while his wife laughed lightly because she knew that what he said was true. She was very restless during her pregnancy and when someone finally got her to relax is when she would usually crash hard.

While her husband and Her Majesty spoke, Rose was watching her daughter and noted that bright smile when she noticed her mother looking at her. The mention of Alyssa being his heir caught her attention once more before she looked back at their daughter with a smile.

"Little Lady Alyssa no doubt will strive to be like, Her Majesty herself. Wise, loving, and gorgeous both inside and out. Attributes that any young girl would want to replicate, right my wee one?" Alyssa squealed in delight as she looked up at the queen with her hands enjoying the textured sensory of the dress that was worn.

Hearing her husband speak of John and how he would not dictate who Rallon names as his heir had her looking at the man that she loved so dearly.

There was a smile that was so bright before she relished the kiss gifted to her, by her beloved Rallon. The spin earned a little laugh as she rested against him in a state of undeniable comfort.

"Oh, my babies! Francia, Medan, cute little Blossom, Odessa, Balin, Hunter, and Lilah. They are all so adorable and Cynthia and Tuchesi are amazing parents."

She looked forward to seeing the little ones when they all retired for the night.

"Tomorrow we will see how Cynthia feels about company. No doubt she will want a moment to breathe."

Tia and the Queen both laughed. "My word you are an attentive grandmother. Alyssa dear you should pay attention for when your own time comes."

Alyssa gabbled.

Rallon did not release her, but he did turn his head to speak to Haversham quietly while Tia spoke. "Do you think she has more litters in her?"

The Queen cocked her head, curious about that as well, and both listened to Rose carefully.

Then Tia asked Rallon as his attention returned.

"An interesting question. She is already older than most mothers, but she has proven very hardy. I think her mother, myself, and Cynthia will discuss it."

One of the guests heard and laughed. "You are going to have a discussion with a dog?!"

"Yes. When it comes to my eldest' future I believe she be involved."

The speaker continued to smile. But the smile slowly faded. Then the man nodded. "Uhhh...yes...of course. Quite right. Uh...Happy Birthday my...errr Duchess Granger."

And scurried away.

Tia snickered. "Your Grace is cruel. You scared him."

"I didn't do anything!"

The Queen sniffed. "You may not have done anything physically but you did scare him Rallon Granger. Those lovely eyes of yours can be quite terrifying. Have you seen him do that Rose?"

Rallon spoke first. "Of course not. My eyes cannot do that looking at her."

The Queen cocked her head. "Interesting....I wish to test this. Rose."

She handed Alyssa over, and Tia drew Rose away from Rallon, still in sight and hearing, but as he turned to face the Queen, she was not in his sight.

He continued to smile, but all light and kindness left his face.

And though nothing changed that one could point to, his eyes did now hold dire threat.

The Queen actually gulped, then gestured to Tia and Rose.

The moment Rose entered his vision, he lit up like a sunrise. His smile regained it's fire, and the eyes were her's once more.

Tia even put Rose right back where she had been, and Alyssa got a tickle from her daddy as she pressed to her mother's neck.

The Queen stared at Rallon, shaking her head lightly. "Remarkable. Does that happen frequently?"

Tia spoke first. "No Your Majesty. That was his hard face as the staff call it. His angry face is very unpleasant. His thinking face is rather amusing though."

"Is it?"

Tia giggled. "Please my lord?"

Rallon sighed.

The girls had all seen and discussed his many faces freely. And Tia managed the house and was their closest advisor.

Rallon kissed the top of Rose's head, then raised his head. And began to sway lightly.

Tia gently drew the Queen so Rose could see Rallon in the wall mirror.

Rallon had his far away face on.

Not ferocious mask of doom he had just displayed, but the face she often caught when he was working, reading, or watching something other than her or their daughters.

Present but entirely unreadable to all but Rose.

No one knew him better.

In the mirror she could see his focus. He was watching Thea, who was dancing with a young guest her own age.

And given how they both worried over their charges she did not need to consider to know his thoughts.

The question about more litters was an interesting one. Of course, it would be up to Cynthia predominantly. Certainly, no one knows her body better than her, but her father was quick to answer.

The sound of a guest's laughter could even Rose's attention and the sight of the man swiftly dismissing herself had the Duchess hiding a small little laugh.

"Your unwavering love and admiration for your daughter did tighten him so, my love."

"Honestly? Surely he does not change so mere because I am not around...." The Duchess of York uttered as Tia walked her a good distance away for the Queen to see what would happen.

Alyssa snuggled against her mother and kisses were pressed to the crown of the wee one's head it smiles.

Tia eventually guided them back to Rallon and Her Majesty and she was comfortable placed back in his arms with their little one resting upon her mom with her head on her shoulder. Looking over at Alyssa's face, Rose knew that the little one had spotted her father from the smile and the crinkle of her little eyes.

Rose was enjoying the interesting quirks that were being pointed out by the Queen and Tia.

"Ah.... that face, so many have gotten accustomed to that face after worrying for a while."

A little laugh sounded as her husband appeased their friend's request.

In the hypnotic sway of his arms and with the mirror in view, Rose took note of the familiar faraway look on his countenance.

She looked in the same direction and noted Thea.

"I always find that Thea reminds me more and more of you and while I will always worry, she is far more capable of defending herself than anyone would ever believe."

It was true. Many tried the youngest of the Granger girls and most ended up wounded in some way shape or form.

Cynthia and Thea had a bond and were as thick as thieves when together.

Thea had taken the training with her brother very seriously and very much enjoyed it.

Rose had a discussion with Rallon at one point about how when the young one first arrived she would sleep with her tattered doll and suck her thumb.

Both things were a thing of the past, though Rose never failed to remind Thea that she should enjoy her childhood while she could.

"Is it Lady Thea that he is focusing on? How do you know?" The Queen asked.

Rose smiled and nodded. "We love the girls and Thea is dancing with another of her own age. It's just a feeling..."

"Very interesting, especially since the two of you have spent such a long time apart and yet you are bound not just physically, but mentally as well."

Alyssa high pitch squealed to catch some attention and placed a very wet, open mouth kiss on her mother's cheek which made Rose laugh.

"Yes, my wee one, I love you too, you precious little girl."

Rallon growled and stuck his head in, getting his own wet kiss.

"Thank you."

He kissed her back, then her mother. "I see me a little. But I also see James. She has his kind heart. And mother's protective nature. Not mention how often she goes out of her way to assist me with work or even to remember important events. Especially those after her bedtime."

The Queen cocked her head. "What do you mean?"

He smirked and gestured for a servant. He whispered into her ear. Then spoke. "And make sure you say this was from Tia not me."

She bobbed. "Yes my Lord." And was off.

Not three minutes later Thea popped up, gripping his hand. "Don't forget you have a meeting with Lilah and Jessica in the morning."

"Ah yes I do. Thank you Thea."

She nodded and went back to the party.

The Queen's brows arched.

Rallon reached out and seemingly gathered Lilah by sheer will. "Dear cousin you look smashing. Now. Do we have a meeting tomorrow?"

"What? No...did I miss something?"

"Not at all my dear. Enjoy yourself." He kissed her cheek and though confused she returned to her fiancee, soon forgetting the odd moment.

Now the Queen laughed. "Oh she is quite helpful. How charming."

"She is an angel Your Majesty." Rallon folded around Rose again. "Of course she says she wants to grow up to be just like Rose. An angel herself of course."

He gave his bride a tight squeeze and whispered. "Love you."

Rose laughed as Rallon got his sloppy kiss and kissed both his youngest and his wife.

The Duchess knew just how blessed she was with everyone in her life and there were not enough thanks in the world to make it known.

The description that Rallon made of Thea's personality was very spot on.

Mrs. Granger had been an idol for many reasons when Rose was young. His mother and father were goals themselves.

Lady Granger knew exactly what her husband was talking about as he had shown her before just how handy sweet Thea was.

As Thea diligently arrived, Rose had to stave off a laugh as the little Lady went back to enjoy the festivities.

The surprise on Lila's face when asked if they have a meeting was genuine and revealed that it was false and Thea was just reminding her brother.

Rose could only agree that Thea was such an angel, but her husband's flattery knew no bounds.

"I love you as well and this has been an amazing birthday and so much good news all around."

It was hard to keep track of it all.

"Tia's family arriving. Her Majesty having a home in York. The proposal of all three girls and the birth of my grandbabies!" It was clear that the last might have been her favorite out of all of the events.

Rose thought that this day could get no better when a thought popped into her head.

"Will there be fireworks?"

For someone that initially feared so much attention, it turned out to be an amazing day.

There was one thing that she wished for that she could not have just yet.

"Two months feels like a very long time."

The words had accidentally slipped out of her mouth and her soft cheeks were highlighted red in embarrassment.

Tia laughed and looked at little Alyssa who looked a tad confused.

"Lady Alyssa is going to have a sibling in no time!"

"Tia! Look who's talking!" Rose instantly replied back.

Rallon kissed the top of Alyssa's head as his eyes bore into Rose's. "As soon as you are cleared my love."

He ignored the fireworks question entirely, but before she could ask again someone called. "Starfires!"

He lead her, the Queen, and Tia outside just in time to see the red star explode.

Alyssa screamed in delight as Rallon turned Rose into his arms, his hands softly cupped Alyssa's tiny ears.

Then the true display began.

Bright colors filled the sky as music played loudly in time with the explosions, and the gasps from the guests and the village could be heard.

After thirty minutes a final crescendo fired into the air, a rainbow rush of colors, and then the music ended.

And everyone looked excited but in a very tired way.

So Rallon thanked them all, but also announced it was time for everyone to go to bed.

"Starfires?" Rose barely got the word out before her husband escorted them outside to see the sky lighting up in a gorgeous display.

"Oh my goodness..." Her smile was bright enough to challenge the display in the sky.

Alyssa was just as enamored, but when it was all over, the little one had hardly an ounce of strength to keep her head up.

It was a spectacular ending to a spectacular birthday.

Rose was well worn out from the events and the excitement.

After seeing everyone off, the family found their way back to their bedroom.

Cynthia stretched and got up from her bed to give her parents and warm greeting with the most adorable yawn.

"You've, not doubt had your hands full, my dear sweet daughter." A kiss was pressed to Cynthia's head before her daughter curled back up with the slumbering pups.

It was just to see the well-fed chubby pups occasionally twitch in their sleep.

Alyssa was already passed out thoroughly to the point that getting her ready for bed did not even stir her.

Rose had plans for a long soak in the morning, so she got undressed and crawled into bed to join her beloved.

"Today was the best birthday that I have ever had. I love you so much Rallon. I truly do."

Rose was not too far behind their daughter as her eyes grew laden and her mind slowly drifted into a slumber that beckoned her.

Come time in the morning, food would be prepared for quite a few people in their rooms as tomorrow, no doubt left numerous people very tired.

The Duchess completely forgot about having spoken about leaving the day after her birthday for a bit of a getaway, but they never really confirmed it.

Besides, it was easy enough to forget with a day like yesterday.

Rallon had not forgotten though.

While she soaked he sat beside the tub. "So shall we leave for our holiday today or tomorrow?"

He grinned. "Tia is already making arrangements, and the servants are packing us up already."

As if to prove it Tia came in with four large trunks and indicated several of Rose's dresses, rallon's outfit and most of Alyssa's things.

And of course the wolves beds.

The girls under her command flitted back and forth fetching and folding, while Rallon waited for her decision.

Alyssa lay against his middle, playing with one of her actual toys for once. By running it back and forth over his chest.

Rose listened to the question and was caught off guard. She turned in the tub to rest her head upon her crossed arms on the edge of the tub.

"Leave? For a holiday?" Rallon proceeded to tell her about the preparation taking place.

Everything was already in motion so she felt no need to put it off for tomorrow.

"Let us go today," she finally decided while watching their daughter enjoying the toy.

Standing up from the water, she began drying off and quickly gave her husband and daughter each a kiss.

The excitement was there and there was a bit of nervousness laced in there as well.

"I know that everything is in good hands, but I always feel a little nervous leaving for overnight." Rose figured that it might not make much sense, but she felt the same way when they went to rescue Marion from the tower. The nervousness was a little lessened from the fact that they were saving her, but now it was just for leisure.

Rose got dressed and left her hair to cascade about her bare shoulders while dawning a light green breathable dress. Alyssa wore a ute and comfortable little outfit in the same color with a little ribbon in her hair.

There was no way that she could not check up on her grandbabies and her eldest.

Cynthia was sleeping until her mother drew close and opened one eye. The pups were currently feeding.

Tuchesi was out cold, his muzzle on her hip.

Rallon's hands wrappes around Rose's middle and his jaw rested on her right shoulder. "Looking quite healthy and happy. If you want to oversee things while I pack this little group up?"

"Sure. No doubt a fresh change of scenery will help get a little bit of energy back."

Heavens knew that the little ones were almost eating nonstop and sleeping in between.

You could already make out a few personalities in the wee ones and Cynthia was sure to have her hands full.

While Rallon tended to the latest additions to their family, Rose took their daughter, who was back to playing with her toy, just now in her other's arms, and went outside to see everything loaded and getting finished up for the trip.

"My Lady," Alyssa squalled at the sight of Fisher, whom she enjoyed spending time with.

"Fisher," Rose laughed at the display and their daughter left the toy to sit in her hand as she looked at a person who she trusted and found funny.

"Here to see us off?"

Fisher looked confused and instinctively reached out his hands to the little lady adorably beckoning his attention by waving hers, "Am I not joining you on this trip as your protection?"

"Fisher... I think that we will be fine. I did not see you needing to join us. You and Tia will be taking charge in our sted, no?"

Rallon appeared. "No. Tia and and her family, especially husband and son will be coming with us."

He punched Fisher in the shoulder. "Because guess who has volunteered to watch over our home."

The Queen marched out to hug Rose, and kiss Alyssaa. "Me. I have been happily spoiled by you lot since I arrived. Now shoo. I will keep everything at peace and when you return I should actually be prepared to move into my new estate. Tony has kindly been preparing things for me."

"Careful with that one Your Majesty."

"Wise advice Duke of York. And well taken. Now. Off with the lot of you. Of I see any one of you in this land until after this holiday of yours, I will have you eaten by you harem."

Rallon chuckled.

The Queen gave Rose another hug, and then Alyssa another kiss. "You take care of your parents little one. We shall have many visits."

Alyssa scrunched up as her friend drew away, but settled as Tia turned up with David. Though he was a bit grumpy.

Then Tia's mother came out chattering rapidly. Tia nodded and the woman turned to Rallon.

Rallon held up a finger and responded in the flowing tongue. Then listened.

"Ahhh." He held up another finger. "Rose my love, this good lady has a favor to ask. But she lacks the full words to say so." He spoke to her, and she nodded.

"She would like make you a traditional Arab dress and headress. She would like you to model for it. She hopes to make one for you and one for Tia. And for them to match."

The woman came forward and gestured at Rose. "And...little...duck?"

"Duchess."

"Yes. Duchess yes. Small duchess."

Alyssa seized her hand, and cooed excitedly, hugging it to her chest.

Rallon smiled and explained that she had just been adopted.

The woman smiled the same dark gorgeous smile her daughter had, and leaned in to kiss Alyssa's forehead, speaking softly in her mother tongue.

"She is blessing Alyssa. Now what's wrong with David?"

His grandmother made a dismissive sound and stole him from Tia. He gave a fuss, but she ignored him as she brushed his hair aside to reveal a small scrape on his head.

She chattered.

Tia sighed. But smiled. "David here grabbed a corner of one tapestries in the hall. And managed to pull himself out of his aunt's arms, and fell. She caught him before he fell far, but he managed to scrape himself against the fabric. He's fine. Just pouty."

Her sister came out bearing his things and tried to speak to him.

He fussed, but his grandmother shoved him into his aunt's arms, chattered at him, then took the bags and marched off to the carriage.

Rallon smirked. "I see where you get your firm attitude Tia. Fisher you have one serious mother in law there."

"Yes my Duke. But a most loving one. She already keeps trying to feed me. Made me eat four plates at breakfast."

Tia giggled. "She does like him. And she adores David. She is trying with English. But she was a translator for other tongues. And it's been some time."

"What tongues?"

"Oh, the eastern tongues. India, the lands beyond."

"Ahhhh. The Chinese and those other lands. I met a very few."

Tia nodded. "She could teach you those tongues. She knows...9 of them."

"English for her first. My arabic is good but not enough to learn another language through it."

"Understandable. Lady Rose? Would you like to learn?"

Rallon watched Rose answer. Then spoke. "What about Alyssa my love? She will need French, Spanish, and German of course. And probably Russian. And of course Arabic in this household. But perhaps some TY

Rose was quite surprised to hear that Tia and her entire family would be joining them. It was not a disappointment at all, but the concern that came to her mind was quickly addressed.

Rose smiled as Mer Majesty came in for a hug and Alyssa bounced her mother's arm for excess excitement for the fun woman that approached them.

The most adorable little squee sounded from the girl after she got her kiss. Like it was excitement that just could not be contained in such a tiny little body.

"Well thank you so much!" The appreciation could be heard in her voice and the lingering hug.

"I am, as I know that many others are, overjoyed that you will have an estate that brings you closer to your family. Especially this little one."

So much seemed to be taking place at once. First, she laid eyes upon the cute baby David who was growing by the day, and Tia's mother clearly had words

There was a curious look about Rose and she was excited to find out what Tia's mother was so passionate about.

"A dress?" A smile grew upon her countenance and upon finding out that she would have a matching one with Tia, the woman could barely contain herself.

Having been accidentally called a duck was so ridiculously adorable, that it was likely to be a new nickname for her daughter.

"Thank you," if the words were not understood then the smile and vibrant look on Rose's face said it all.

Alyssa was loving Tia's mother and Rose was not far behind her daughter.

Poor David was having a grumpy moment, from what Rose heard and the day chuckled lightly as the wee one was placed in his aunt's arms and she could safely assume that his grandmother was showing him some firm love.

The Duchess was always listening, but she seemed to be focusing on David until she heard her offer and her name.

"Me?" Rose was easy to read and the eagerness and surprise were as clear as day.

"Yes!" She was surprised at the sound of her own excitement and tried to dial it back calming down her tone. "I would love to and it would be great for both Alyssa and David."

"I have no idea what so much excitement is hitting me at once." She handed their daughter off to Her Majesty for a moment to give Tia's mother a hug.

"Now I do not know if I even want to leave, now." Of course they would, but she loved everyone in her company and not all of them were coming with them.

"Well, everyone stay safe. You are in amazing hands and I expect the girls to assist with anything." In the end, this little vacation was almost needed and would be a fun time away from home.

Soon enough everyone was loaded up and Rose held onto their daughter and smothered the wiggling tot in kisses that triggered her mother's smile.

"I get to spend time away from signing papers, and overseeing details, and get to spend time with my closest family and friend."

Rallon oversaw the loading of their eldest, granfchildren, and son in law into hollowed pit in the seat across from them, then slid in beside his bride, shifting to get his arms around her.

He kissed her neck and nibbled her jaw. "Time for some rest."

Alyssa gurgled and he tickled her for a giggle. "Yes indeed my sweet darling. This will be very fun."

Cynthia was snoozing, the pups hidden against her tummy by her tail, but clearly wriggling and breathing.

Tuchesi was watching his children closely, serving well as protecrive father.

The journey through town got them many cheers and cries of happiness.

And the majority were calls of "here comes Duchess Rose!"

As they exited the town proper a chant of her name could be heard.

Rallon nibbled her jaw again. "Justly popular my love."

He nuzzled in, and let silence and comversation flow as she wanted, and just as Alyssa was getting fussy, they arrived at their destination.

Where other servants rushed to unpack them, though after helping her and Alyssa down, Rallon drew free to carry the canines inside to their bedroom, leaving Rose to explore.

Alyssa cooed, knowing this was somewhere new but not fully grasping the comcept yet.

Rose smiled and laughed lightly as her sweet husband showed his affection. "Look at our sweet daughter and the babies..."

She considered herself the happiest grandmother in the world.

Hearing the cheers of their people made her proud. The sound of her name from so many people made her blush.

"When I was young all I truly dreamed about... was being your wife," Rose gifted her Rallon a sweet light kiss upon the lips.

"I have gotten so much more and I could not be happier."

Topics flowed from what they looked forward to during this time off to when she could get the lessons in with her birthday gifts.

There were some relaxing moments and before she knew it, they arrived at their destination.

The duchess required a toll in the form of a kiss before her beloved tended to their eldest and their grandchildren.

The air was crisp and a nice breeze blew by. Rose watched as Tia approached them with David in her arms.

"It is a nice change of scenery, don't you say?"

David still seemed a tad fussy, as did Alyssa whenever her mother stopped.

"Let us take a look around."

The grounds were not big, but just big enough and it was so refreshing.

The breeze greeted them at every turn and the sun kissed the grassy planes at their back the sound of something splashing in water could be heard from not far.

"I do not even know where to begin!" Rose was laughing like a kid again. "Oh Tia... we can go swimming.... with the kids!"

Rose could not even remember the last time she got to dip in a natural pool of water.

Tia had seen her friend happy a lot lately, but this was a new type of happiness.

Rallon promised to begin combat lessons as soon as she liked.

And suspected that Tia and her family could assist with language lessons immediately upon her request.

After his own kiss, and attention to the wolves, Rallon took them inside.

And ordered tuchesi to stay with his mate.

Tuchesi lay back down instantly and got a long ear scritch.

Cynthia whined but got her own ear rub. "You tend to the pups young lady. And nothing else. You can resume escorting your mother when they can walk on their own. Not before."

She whined.

"Would you prefer to lose one?"

She huffed. But lay her head and tail over her babies.

"That's my good girl. Tuchesi make sure she eats."

Then he went out to check on things, found Tia's mother had things well in hand, thanked her, and went on.

And found Rose and Tia discussing taking a swim.

"Sounds a marvelous idea. FISHER!!"

The knight came on the run, then yelped as Rallom seized him and spun him about. "You were examining the defenses?"

"I...err...yes My Duke."

"Despite being expressly forbidden by myself and your good wife?"

"I...my Duke..."

"Silence. Your punishment is to join us all in a family swim. With our ladies and children."

"My Duke-"

"I do not believe I stuttered Fisher."

Fisher nodded. "Yes My Duke."

Rallon raised his swordbelt and pushed him toward Tia. "Now apologize."

Fisher flushed realizing he had been entirely disarmed, his swords, knives, and even his well hidden blackjack all in Rallon's hands. But then he saw Tia. And blushed. "My dear-"

She pressed into him for a long kiss. Then spoke softly. "It is your way and habit my warrior. To keep all of us safe. Our good duke is mostly teasing you. But you are commanded to relax this journey. Now. Hold your son. Find out why he is so grumpy."

Tia handed him over then moved to Rose. "Shall i send for bathing attire your grace?"

Alyssa snagged a curl of Tia's hand and cooed happily, instantly biting it.

Tia laughed but let it be.

Fisher meanwhile was studying his son. "What troubles you my boy?"

David squirmed and whined, then flinched as Rallon rested his chin on Fisher's shoulder. "Still fussy I see. What is the matter good sir David?"

David stared up at the two heads, confused. Then whined.

"The ladies checked him for sickness. Toes to scalp and back again. And your mother in law assures me he has no rash, colic, or other troubles. So what has the dear fellow so upset?"

Fisher nodded. Then cocked his head. "My lord may I have my side dagger for a moment?"

Rallon arched a brow. But relented. Fisher held his son out, and lay the dagger beside him. Then flipped it along the boy's side. Then again. "Dear God."

"What is it?"

"My Lord...he...he's growing."

"Well of course."

"Yes my lord. But I mean astonishingly."

"What is he a foot longer than when you last measured?"

"Oh...no...but he is two inches longer."

"When did you last measure?"

"Last week."

"Ahhh. Well fortunately my friend he is not seemingly a giant. But he does seem eager to be a very large man. Perhaps much like my brother Gregory."

Fisher's face clouded.

"I understand. But before he lost his path there was great hope for that young man. From what Rose has told me the greatest issue was his temper. My father always preached patience and peace. But some men have destruction born in them. I think my father, good man though he was, was not prepared for such a son. And of course not for what my other brothers would do and become. And though I was not here I might argue that ferocious as he was Gregory did not become the monster until after that horrid night."

Fisher slowly nodded. "Some minor troubles in the taverns but nothing so dark and horrible...what about David?"

"Ahhh but Master David has you and dear Tia. And her family. Very patient. But also aware of the nature of boys and men. You will teach him kindness, patience and mercy. But also the ways of combat. And how his sword is a gift to protect those weaker than him. Which given his size will be everyone. Tia will teach him more patience, and wisdom, cunning and understanding. And you both will teach him love and the path of goodness. And his brothers, sisters, cousins or even his friends," He nodded over at Alyssa. "Will not be selfish monsters bent on destroying for their own profit."

Fisher nodded. "I would be honored if you would also give aid in his education your grace. And of course Her Grace."

"I will offer what little I can. I hope he learns all Rose has to teach."

Fisher smirked as he felt Rallon gazing at Rose with that look everyone knew well.

Rallon was devouring her. There were no other words. He loved his bride with all he was.

He ached to be near her when they were apart. And nothing else could be so certain to hold his attention.

And seeing her laughing and smiling made the Duke of York's heart soar.

"Now, should we not tell the ladies?"

"Oh yes. My dagger your Grace."

Rallon set it with his other weapons as they moved to join Rose and Tia and explained their discovery.

Tia had her own measuring device and gasped. "He is growing. So fast!"

Rallon chuckled and bent to kiss Alyssa, as always allowing her play with his face. "Don't you rush to grow little lovely."

She giggled as she made the words catch oddly and his voice shift with this tug or that grip.

He did roll an eye to Rose. "Are we swimming?"

Back
Top Bottom