The Fourth Quarter Quell (Naomi David and Mercenary)

"Well, time to learn some new stuff, any way they might have well put in some weird stuff in this year's Arena, I don't want to get caught unawares and get poisoned because I was too proud to visit the station."

"If you say so. By the way, is there an extra bed in your room?" Thal asked, remembering that there wasn't one in what used to be his.

"Sort of, it has what you call a trundle bed, a second bed pulls out from the bottom of it." Shira spoke, then her face turned thoughtful, and she spoke,"I'll just have to be careful to not step on you."

"I'm sure you wil be." Thal kind mumbled. He was just a little tired, but tired nonetheless. "So, what do you plan to do after the berries?" he asked Shira.

"Actually, I know my way around knots pretty well." Thal told her. There where multiple pulley systems in the logging mill, and everyone was taught repairing, including knots.

"Well, I need to review them in any case, I might learn a thing or two even though I know them pretty well since knots are used for making nets." Shira smiled replying. She also wanted to visit the edible insect station, just to be safe.

"I just had the refresher course before the hunger games began, so I'm good." Thal told her. He was thinking of practicing with a sword, or maybe he could try something else.

"Edible insects, I think. And there's a station that shows antidotes for stings from the nasty ones, like those damned tracker jackers, I know what the leaves to cure the stings look like."

"Want to check it out then?" Thal asked, standing next to her. He honestly didn't care that much, especially if she already knew some of this stuff, but staying with her was a good enough idea to him.

"I got stung by a few of those last year. Holly found the leaves for me, well, she chewed them, and pulled the stingers out, and applied the leaves to the wounds." Shira replied solemnly. Funny, really, how her Hunger Games had gone so similarly to Katniss's Games, well, Katniss's first Games.

"Tracker hackers are terrible creations. I guess we should learn how to stop them from killing us." Thal said to her. "But then can we get some rest after that? I'm getting tired." he told Shira.

"Yes, after this, rest will be good. Never good to over work." Shira replied. She then spoke,"Smoke seems to make them sleepy, as they do with bees and similar creatures. I do not know why it happens, but it does."

"Who cares for the reason of it works?" Thal asked rhetorically as he walked towards the exit. "If you want to stay here, go ahead. I doubt you're even feeling fatigue." He said.

"I know you ask a question that is not meant to be answered, but I will answer any way. I want to be able to apply knowledge from making them sleepy to other animals that may be just as bad as them." Shira replied simply. She spoke,"Don't let me energetic look fool you. I am tired."

Thal smiled and shook his head, chuckling a little. He looked back at her, still smiling. "To your room, then?" He asked.

"Yeah, well get in line. I want to know, and I bet the peacekeepers and the Capitol does to." Thal said, though joking. He continued walking towards the rooms.

"Either way, stick with me, and you'll be safe." Shira replied confidently. She spoke with such an authority it would be impossible not to relax in her presence, impossible to not believe that all would be okay.

"If you say so." Thal said, a little uneasily. "Coukd you lead me to the room? I don't really know where I'm going." he told her.

Shira smiled, and she spoke,"Of course I will lead you to my room!" She happily lead him along the correct path, and she opened her door when they got to her room.

"Thanks." Thal said as they reached her room. He walked inside, looking around. "Cozy." He commented. Then he saw that there was only one bed. "Uh, I'll take the couch. This is your room after all." He said to her, turning around to face Shira.

"There's the trundle bed, remember? Let me pull it out." Shira replied, and indeed she did pull it out, and it was all made up, good and proper.

"It happens Thal, worry not." Shira replied gently, and she spoke,"Peacekeepers and the like have been notified, they're bringing you fresh clothes later."

Back
Top Bottom