Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

D&D 3.5 One on One: Invasion of Savagery Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bastion hears nothing that stands out.

Tsuki and Irvine peer through the door. "Found some of the supplies." Irvine says. Tsuki nods. "It's mostly metal, though. Stone in some places, but mostly metal. I think this stuff is melted down for whatever they build. But I could be wrong."

"Probably," Bastian agrees. "Come on over here," he calls to them, and opens the door.

Inside the door...

Is a 30 cubic foot stone room, drab with no decoration. What grabs the trio's attention is the clack of metal on stone, and the three metal dog's that snarl and approach the opened door.

Roll Initiative

Dogs : 1
Tsuki: 16
Irvine: 14

<Initiative 16>

"Back up! Let's draw them towards the furnace!" Bastian says under his breath. He takes a step back into the furnace room, and readies his sword above his head to strike at the first dog entering after him.

<I'll delay/ready a strike - I'm assuming the best way to do that is just roll as if this plan works and you tell me if it doesn't. If any dogs follow through, attack with
Attack roll 9+9
Damage roll 4+4>

(As a future reference, ties go to higher Dex, and I'm assuming you have higher Dex than Tsuki)

Tsuki and Irvine follow Bastion's lead. When the first dog appears, Bastion's downward strike hits it. Tsuki follows with a Flaming Sphere spell, that the dog dodges. Irvine's sword smashes into it from above though, acid once again sizzling on contact, doing 26 points of damage.

<Gotcha.>

"Tsuki, you head towards the furnace and try to drawn them to you, we'll hang back and try to surround them!" Bastian cries out. He leaves Irvine near the door and steps directly back, trying to form a triangle between them to bring the dogs inside. He keeps his sword drawn and stretched out sideways, waiting for a strike.

<Not sure what's up with the dogs initiative, but I guess he readies a strike again?
Er... Attack roll natural 1. So that goes well>

(Forgot to mention the dog attacking Irvine and missing, my bad.)

Bastion's next attack misses as the dog chases after him. Tsuki makes the Flaming Sphere chase after the dog, but it dodges the spell and her staff. Irvine swings his sword at the next dog to step in with a downward cross slash (diagonal attack), cutting it for 26 damage. The dogs attack and bite Bastion and Irvine each, doing 4 damage.

"OK, start trying to maneuver them towards Tsuki!" Bastian calls. He starts taking aggressive footing toward the dog in front of him, swinging his blade and trying to drive the dog back.

<Attack roll 13+9
Damage roll 2+4>

Bastion's slashes into the dog after him, but doesn't put it down. Tsuki's Sphere finally catches hers, doing 5 points, even as her staff misses again. Irvine brings an overhead slash on the last dog, doing 19 points of damage as acid sizzles. The dogs all attack, but only Tsuki's manages to connect, biting her leg brutally for 16 points.

"OK Tsuki, now! Move away from the furnace!" Bastian feints at the dog in front of him and runs past, sprinting towards Tsuki and the dog attacking her. He gestures her away from the flames and presents his shoulder, leaping at the metallic beast and trying to shove it into the flames.

<Is that a strength check? If so I got 16+4>

(Would be a grapple check, but almost the same.)

Bastion's plan worked, as the furnace roared, and the dog can be seen turning into melting metal. A door slams down, and when it opens 3 seconds later, the furnace is empty. Tsuki slams her staff into the dog attacking Bastion, redirecting the Sphere to it, for a total of 10 damage, smashing it in melted places. This causes gears to pop out and the dog to stop. Irvine just follows Bastion's idea, and tosses the other dog into the furnace.

Roll Listen and Spot checks.

<Listen 5, Spot 14>

"AAAAAARRRREEEEEAAAAGGGHHH!" Bastian roars exuberantly, pumps a fist with one hand and musses Tsuki's hair with the other. "Well played, friends! Now let's find the bastard making these abominations." He steps toward the door, clapping Irvine's shoulder.

(No one noticed... How delightful. I get to spring a surprise!)

Tsuki and Irvine accept the congrats with good cheer and a grunt. Inside the room the dogs came from is another door opposite the entrance, unnoticed from before. (Growling mechanical dogs do that.) Tsuki takes a moment to heal, and stares at Irvine's chin. "You forgot to heal that, didn't you!" That, being the uppercut from the figure at the carriage. Irvine just grunts. "If it doesn't bleed, and I'm not dying, then no." He replies.

<I was actually thinking about saying something about Irvine's chin. Nicely done. Also - I'm calling the surprise. The furnace wasn't the best idea.>

"Come on, tough guy, let's get you back into the spotlight," Bastian leads the party to the unopened door. He looks at it suspiciously for a moment, rubs his stubble, moves to cautiously crack it open, then stops, leans back, and turns to Irvine, smirking. "Kick that door open for me?"

(Well, yes and no. Wasn't expecting it, and now using it for a half-formed idea. Interesting would probably fit best.)

Irvine grunts, and lets loose with a powerful blow from his greatsword. "What the devil?!" A man shouts from behind the door, surprised by the trio. He wears simple white robes, and has no hair on his head, even eyebrows. There are several burn scars on his exposed skin, and a thin wooden rod is in his hand.

Knowledge(K.) Arcana check.

Bastion recognizes it as a magic wand but not what kind.

Noticing it's three against one, he stills a moment. "What are you doing here?" He demands.

"Someone has been sending metallic constructs out to attack travelers on the nearby road. We tracked the most recent one back to here." Keeping his eyes locked on the man, he tilts his head towards Irvine and mutters under his breath, "Wait...isn't it weird that we haven't found any of the goods stolen from the caravans around here? Pay attention, something odd may going on here." Turning back to the man, "We met your...canine? Friends? I don't think you'll find them of much use anymore. What is 111? Explain yourself, and fast - my friend here seems to have grown tired of fighting metal beasts, I think he longs for hot blood on his blade."

<Intimidate check 11+7>
<Sense motive check on whatever the guy replies ... natural 1
And uh...search? Can I notice anything else about the guy or the room - 18+2>

There are various bits and pieces of metal stored about the room, gears and other mechanical pieces on walls and shelves. A work table holds the pieces of something half put together.

"This is _my_ workplace. I live here alone, away from everybody else, to do my experiments peacefully and quietly. I have not killed anyone, and I have not attacked anyone, or stolen anything. Now _leave_!" He says. "Oh? Then why is a good chunk of the metal you're going to melt next all stolen?" Tsuki replies, honest innocence on her face. The man twitches at this.

Bastian take a step towards the man, "Yes! Where exactly *did* you get all this metal, friend?" He takes another step, circling the man to the left. "Now... give yourself up and we'll put you to the mercy of the people of Kippo. If you are truly innocent, your story will hold true under their questioning. Anything else..." he raises his sword threateningly, "and you'll never make it out of here alive."

The man twitches a moment, clearly weighing things, before moving. "I'll take my chances!" He shouts.

Roll Initiative
Tsuki: 11
Irvine: 14
Mage: 9

<14 - I'm assuming greater DEX than Irvine>

Bastian continues to circle left behind the mage, putting the man between him and his companions. He feints, trying to get his footing off. <Bluff 10 + 5>

Bastian sees his opening and swipes fast and hard with his shortsword.

<Attack roll 17
Damage roll 10>

Tsuki casts another Flaming Sphere, and the man burns for 9 damage. Irvine catches him at the same moment Bastion did, decapitating him in a single blow. "That was depressing." Irvine says. "No challenge."

(Irvine criticaled for over 40 damage. He was an 8th level mage, and the party just One Round Killed him (ORK). This is why you never let fighter's close as caster. Can't get spell off equals fucked.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom