Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How To Deliver Justice (with KiraMusani

After Olivia roughly brushed herself off, she noticed Ethel looking at her. She took a deep breath before walking over to her, propped up against the castle wall. "What's on your mind?" She asked, leaning against it also, as if both were holding the wall up.

Meanwhile, Ruby pretty much glomped Clair, giving a squeal and very undignified hug. "Everything okay, now? What did the Jewel Kingdom Princess think of your sword?"

Avenger, not knowing she would soon be called upon to possibly teach Sapphire more about her shared heritage, because of her own mother and Sapphire's great-grandmother, tutted sadly at Ruby's over emoting affections for Clair, but she couldn't really blame her. She, herself, was torn on who she wanted to paint in just over a fortnight.

Ethel nodded, standing up from the wall as she replied and looked around.
"Yeah, let's talk in private. This isn't something that should be overheard"

Clair was a little surprised when Olivia walked away without saying anything, but was quickly distracted by Ruby.
"Whoa! Oh hey!" She returned the hug.
"Yeah I think she liked it, she asked for one of her own, so pretty high praise I'd say" She smiled.
"I was thinking of getting back to the workshop, do you girls want to join me?" She asked to both Ruby and Avenger.

Avenger chuckled. "Sounds like my kind of adventure." She did enjoy seeing how Clair's mind worked.

Ruby clapped enthusiastically. "Always and forever!" She chirped.

Avenger giggled, ribbing Ruby. "Good grief, girl, why don't you just sing it!" She teased.

"I'll leave that to the bards!" Ruby grinned, causing Avenger to giggle again.

Olivia nodded, and led Ethel to the empty parlour, where Clara had been reading the book the night before. "Without going to one of our rooms, this is about as private as you can get in this Scottish castle, Ethel. What would you like to talk about?" Olivia had never taken the initiative when it came to emotional matters, unless it was full on anger, or something else related to warring. Anyone would have to communicate their feelings first, although it would have been a good guess on others' parts to see Olivia actually more than tolerated Ethel, maybe even liked her.

Clair smiled at the two girls.
"Hehe, you two are so silly, I love it, okay let's get going then"

Ethel first looked around to see if anyone else was around that might overhear them, once confirming they were alone she spoke quietly to Olivia.
"So what do you think of that inventor girl? like about what she might do in the future?" She asked.

Olivia frowned, "That's what has you worried?" She sounded disappointed. "Between Avenger and Princess Ruby, that girl is practically royalty, already, I see her making many inventions for whichever country she ends up in. First, nobility, of course, and then the common people. Calla or Ruby both will keep her from getting ahead of herself, and if they don't, their parents, Gregor or Kenna, who will be Clair's parent-in-law, surely will. Gregor has already nixed one of Clair's ideas, as "only in extreme cases". Will she advance warfare? That's going to take more investigation. If left to her own devices, probably not. But she has a Cordonian princess and an English princess vying for her... Openly. And Kenna DID just fight a civil war not 20 years ago."

Olivia took a deep breath. "There's a long shot she might end up with either the physician, Aurora Service, or the Monterissan, Millicent Umberto. If anything, we need to prevent Monterisso from getting their hands on her. There's no stopping the Queen of Spies if that happens, and Millicent isn't even her kid."

"Well, then I probably don't need to tell you that she could potentially be the most dangerous person here. Like how the invention of the bow and arrow changed warfare and killed so many, who knows what she might come up with. What was this only in extreme cases invention?" She asked raising an eyebrow.

"But I suppose I am glad that at the very least people are thinking about this." Ethel admitted.

Olivia nodded. "That's my thinking, and why we need to steer Clair away from Millie. She may mean well, but I trust Queen Amalas about as much as I can lift her one hand." That is to say, Olivia doesn't trust Millicent's queen at all. "I'm not afraid of anything Clair has shown, but I am afraid of Amalas getting her greasy mitts on Clair for her inventions."

She raised an eyebrow at Edith. "Although you've proven yourself, I'm still not sure about revealing that. It wasn't revealed as something shown to the king, but ironically was shown to Calla at a test, and Sir Robin (Robin of Locksley, or Robin Hood). Apparently even Clair seems leery of it after farther reflection to the point I doubt you have to worry about her revealing it, anytime soon."

Ethel crossed her arms.
"I don't trust anyone frankly, even good intentions can bring bad outcomes. Even if we steer Clair clear of this queen, what if she ends up with, what's her name? Ruby? and her mother finds themselves in another war. She gets desperate and gets Clair to make something to help end it fast. Think of it like this, a home without a bow is guaranteed not to have a death from the bow, but one with one, even when secured properly always has that chance."

Ethel raised an eyebrow back at her reluctance to share the worrying device she had already made.
"That doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, if she has already invented the very thing I fear then all the more reason to act now, before it gets out. Even if you don't think Clair wants to give that information away, it just existing in her head is a major risk. If she is captured and forced to give it away, or even maybe she just changes her mind, and you hiding this information from me just makes me feel more confident in it's destructive potential." Ethel seemed quite serious as she spoke.

Olivia scoffed. "It's not very likely Kenna will want to be in another war. She'll do everything she can to preserve peace for Cordonia, more for her peoples' sakes than her daughter's. Amalas is the one you have to worry about. She has to have her nose in everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. Her and the Gaul king, and that's regardless of which princess Clair ends up with. Gaul doesn't like England or Cordonia all that much, and really likes starting shit with England. Most peasants and noble don't think highly of England, but won't fight unless they have to; only the royals, who are in charge of the country, want to wipe the English off the map. Hell, the King's own musketeers side with England in those skirmishes. They won't fight for either, but they refuse to raise their swords against an English person without due criminal cause. And not because the King got his feelings hurt."

Olivia studied Ethel's body language, before finishing. "The inventor of the bow and arrow, or the crossbow aren't held accountable for all the people killed by their weapons. Neither the inventors of our different swords. Neither should they be. People have made up their own minds to use the inventions for evil purposes, Ethel. How many people have been murdered by sword by some lawless act in the thousands of years since it's invention? You saw the duel between Beaumont and Princess Sapphire. Who started that one? Over what? Beaumont got put in her place by the princess and she rebelled, challenging Sapphire needlessly. If we prosecute on your thinking, the inventor of the rapier, Princess Sapphire and Beaumont will be jailed, with the inventor hung. Is that right? Let the sentence fit the crime." She patted Ethel's shoulder reassuredly.

Olivia sighed. "The invention isn't fatal. It just burns the eyes, worse than what the smoke did to those poor mice in that test before the king. The ONLY invention he okayed to go to Monterisso, which IS an ally of both England and Cordonia, despite the Queen of Spies. Sometimes you have to make uneasy allies to keep from being beaten. Even if it's with information."

Last edited:
Ethel let out a sigh.
"Haaaa... I am not talking about the crafting of each weapon, I am talking about the idea being brought into the world. Trust me I know the invention of the sword changed things too, but that was just an evolution of the club, or spear. I brought up the bow because it changed the dynamic, no longer did someone need to have the skill and discipline of the sword as well as risk their life that the enemy had a sword as well, but with the bow, they could kill from afar.

"Also not wanting to be in another war can be nearly as dangerous for inspiration, what if she gets her to craft something so devastating that she says it would never need be used, just the thought of retaliation with it would be enough to start a war before it happens. What if instead of being able to kill a person from a distance instead it's a town. I don't know what she might come up with, and that is what I fear."

She rubbed the bridge of her nose.
"I know the inventor isn't bad, and I know many of the people she may working under or for aren't bad, but good people with good intentions can still do bad things. I have seen first hand the kind of destructive power new tools of war can bring, and the death toll that can be increased by it. And I know you can't really blame the inventor of the bow for every death by the bow, but had it not been invented, those deaths may have been prevented." She explained.

"I'm also aware that she is your friend, and that you may even have feelings for her, but, quite frankly, she scares me. Even that communication thing she made, no doubt that will change warfare for all time, it will make new targets, allow invading forces to be better organized, and who knows what else." She added, seeming distraught.

Olivia raised an eyebrow and gave her trademark smirk. "Alright, I'll play. Just in the court season to date, the same inventor who created the, ah, what did Avenger call it? A smoke screen? That would allow a hasty retreat, which to be frank, I'd never use myself, I don't believe in retreats, unless retreat means it's relaxing on a beach somewhere... And those loud distraction noises things the king already said no on, and the smoke things that the king okayed for Monterisso to have because it's for stealth, has invented what would have to be a handy device for adventurers who want to scale a mountain or cliff. That new toy of Avenger's called a grappling hook. Clair's invented three things that would surely advance medical science and be helpful to doctors across the continent and beyond. Microscope. Blood Pressure Cuff and whatever the doctors decide to name the invention that allows them to hear what's going on inside us. I hear both Arden and Service are still baffled as to what to call it, but it works and both rave about it. The squawkers are another great peaceful invention. What if, let's say you want to tell me something... And you have no runner to send two kilometres to me. Just press the button and tell me yourself. You saw how it works at dinner. I'm sure you also heard how far they've been trying for. Tell me. What battlefield is two kilometres? Keep in mind, Ruby also said it's for her parents. Isn't that about the average amount of distance from one end of a city to the other? A wife from home can call her husband at work, two kilometres away, 'dear pick up some bread from the baker on the way home, over.' he can reply immediately. 'roger, out.' Sounds like just the communication boon we need to me. Might even prevent domestic arguments."

Olivia than shook her head. "Ethel, I like Clair, she's a nice person. But she's much too mousy for me. I will tell you one thing, someone HAS caught my eye, though." She looked right at Ethel, raised her eyebrows, and her smirk became a genuine smile. "Three guesses who she is."

Ethel looked at Olivia and looked down.
"I know Clair is a nice person, and I am also aware she will likely also invent many good things that can be used for good. My question remains however, will she invent something so terrible, even if by accident, that it undoes all the good she had done before?" She asked, knowing Olivia wanted to see the best in her friend.

"Huh? Changing the subject? Well, I'll bite, let me guess, that twinkle in your eye says it's me. You sure? I have been know to be pretty cold, and not only that I have married before, that cool with you?" She asked crossing her arms.

Olivia nodded. "I'm often asked by Kenna or Dom to gather Intel on what some country or other plans. That's why I'm passing on to you, exactly what I'll be telling the Queen when she gets here. Keep an eye on Monterisso and Gaul. Deter Clair from getting too cozy with Millicent, only because of her queen, and what Clair is capable of as an inventor."

She thought about Ethel's remarks. "It would be better you talk to her yourself, Ethel. Just be frank with her, without being your scary self. Leave being scary for me. I'm a Nevrakis, I can handle it. You forget, my mother is the notorious Zenobia Nevrakis and my grandfather the flat out evil, and thankfully dead Luther, who Kenna had no choice but to run through with a sword. Thank the gods." She smirked. "Don't worry about being cold. Heh. I live in Lythikos. You don't know climate cold until you spend a night in Lythikos, under the stars. Even in the summer. Why do you think I'm so cold towards most people I want nothing to do with?" She had a point...

"Heh, I wasn't talking so literally, and for the record I have spent many nights in Lythikos, under the stars, summer, winter, you name it. Married a women there once, had kids, and so on... Lost track of that family though" she admitted.

"Well if you think you can handle me sure, though know that I won't be sharing my secret with anyone else, so that plus any attached secrets would be on you, oh and I die again I'll need you to collect my things until I return" she explained, happy that at least Olivia already knew her secret.

Olivia smirked. "Then, I think we could handle each other well enough. If you remember their names, I can find them. Lythikos isn't THAT big. I am the duchess after all."

Meanwhile, Calla, once again, tossed her musketeer hat, this time hooking it on the bed post. "What's the agenda look like, Clair?" She asked.

Ruby would go over to the workbench, looking right at home there, as she slid on and adjusted the straps to the goggles, "probably this potato experiment, I'd imagine. What exactly are we trying to do here, and does it have anything to do with the as yet made charging thing for the Squawkers?"

Ethel smirked.
"No need, they are probably all dead, and even if they have relatives alive it's not like it matters, however, if you are serious about wanting us, I would go there of course, and I can show you what millennias of practice can do" She smirked back in a sultry tone.

Clair settled in once there with the others, getting her own goggles and gloves on and nodded.
"Right, I am not used to working with or getting assistance from others yet. Sadly the potatoes just can't hold enough of what we need to operate the charging function needed for the squawkers. Instead, I have been making this device, we turn this crank and it causes this internal aspect to spin and in the same way we got metal to attract each other before holding the charge in the salt water." She explained.

Olivia raised an eyebrow as she noticed. "Dead? Millennia? You talk as strange as that weird little old man who lived in that even weirder blue box. Called himself The Doctor." She sighed. "We'll try anyway. I insist. You deserve to be reunited." She patted Ethel on the shoulder and left the parlour. "We just have to finish the season, before I return to Lythikos. I do need to speak to Kenna at the least, before I go home. A Nevrakis always finishes what he or she starts."

Ruby nodded. "Considering how much these were used before what would be their first time being charged up, I think we should hook them up and do that so they are nice and charged afore we head back to Berkshire on the morrow."

Calla nodded. "A right smart idea, that. Although breakfast just ended, you two do have to plan dinner. Best to think of that."

Ruby started gathering the potatoes, except for Aurora's experiment, and laid them aside, then came over to watch Clair actually hook up the Squawkers, and listen to any other instructions regarding their care before they would be gifts to her parents.

Ethel chuckled, perhaps Olivia didn't know as much as she thought she did?
"Of course, I never said we were going to leave this competition, after all, if I keep getting first place I might actually win" She smirked.

Clair nodded and started the connection process.
"Yes, good idea, plus we can test the rate at which this can charge it, as well as how long it will take" She explained as she set it up.

Clair also nodded to Calla.
"Right, that is a good point, heh, I often forget things like that so it's nice to have someone around to remind me" She admitted.

Once that had been settled Clair continued to show Ruby and Calla how the charging mechanism worked.

Olivia smirked. "Especially since you have won everything you've tried. Most you can get is 500, same as me, as it will depend on how well you articulate how good and the wine is, as well as your description of the wine. With your way with words? I expect to see another win for you in the wine connoisseur category. Too bad we weren't here to make any... As long as Beaumont doesn't win... But she IS a vintner... So probably will... She can't rub everyone's face in it."

There were some solid competition for Beaumont this year: Millicent and Clair's Gummiberry Wine, and Aurora and Sapphire's Greek Wine.

Ethel smiled.
"Well considering I recall the discovery, or invention of wine, I have experience with how it's developed and my pallet is very familiar with the subtle flavours that are sought after" she explained.
"I wonder if that inventor may also have a mind for foods, or perhaps it's limited to mechanical devices? If the former, she may surprise us with something new"

Olivia was calmly stoic without a smirk or other telltale signal. "As brilliant as her mind is, she's liable to be just as good at food. We'll know for sure come this afternoon. She and Princess Ruby have the unenviable task of this evening's farewell to Scotland dinner. Appetizer, Entree, Dessert. We'll know even before we taste the wine in Berkshire."

Speaking of, Ruby and Clair had to meet with Laird Clara in the kitchen for a meeting of what was expected of the two. The Scottish Laird waiting for their arrival.

Ethel nodded.
"I suppose that preview would be good to have at least, only time will tell"

Clair and Ruby would arrive on time, mostly due to an apt reminder that they had this appointment, though Clair was still in her inventing clothes.

Clara nodded as the two showed up. "An' top o' th' mornin' t' ye, ladies. I 'ave wi' me, Princeton Manor top chef, Yves St. Lorraine, who'll be puttin' ye boat thru yer paces t' give us a quality send-off."

The chef bowed to both and began speaking in a Gaul (French) accent. "Bon jour ladies, I do hope all is well avec vous. There will be trois courses vous will be making avec moi." He looked both over, seeing Clair's inventor's clothes and Ruby's peasant dress she wore for the games in Grovershire. He clicked his tongue and shook his head. "Oh non, non, non! This will not do! Not at all! I run a clean kitchen, clean, clean, clean!" He pointed at Clair first. "Change. Vous are, how vous say, unkempt? Oui? Clean dress. Dress, like vous ami, here." He pointed to Ruby, "Right clothing type for kitchen, but like vous ami, it is not clean. Change. Clean dress. Same kind vous have on, but CLEAN!" He glared at Clara. "Begging your pardon, Laird Clara, but did you not tell them what they would be doing? Get these deux filles proper, oui?" He clapped his hands. "Tout de suite!"

Clara gave both an apologetic look and sighed. "I did tell ye two ye wool be cooking today, did I not? Let's get ye two changed int' something appropriate for the kitchen. I have extra kitchen servant uniforms. Follow me. An' try t' find yer sizes..."

"Petit!" St. Lorraine called after his laird.

Clara rolled her eyes. "Right. In petite. Follow me." She led them both to a small wardrobe room in the back. "Find a fitting uniform, quickly, and t'en t' work. Please donnae piss this guy off, he is Gaul, and ye know how little love they have for the English, especially with the royal war going on right now. The St. Lorraine's 'ave been our chefs for several generations. They are good people."

Clair blushed at the comment on her clothes.
"Oh sorry, yes you did, sorry"

As they were brought into the back Clair looked for something clean that would fit her small frame.
"I didn't know it mattered so much what you wore while cooking" She admitted with a whisper.

As Ruby found her size among the kitchen cook dresses, she without thinking, slipped off her peasant dress, letting it pool on the floor around her. She faced Clair in just her petticoat, unabashed. "I thought we were going to be on our own in the kitchen, not have the main chef in charge like this. Maybe to the side y'know?" She commented, trying not to glance towards Clair, who also had to change her clothes.

Ruby was wearing a very pastel pink petticoat, with the royal emblem, a Cordonian Ruby apple right in the v-dip of it, directly between her smallish (compared to the other girls, except Aurora) apple sized breasts, as if being in such a state of undress, at least in front of Clair, was almost second nature of the Cordonian Princess.

Was Ruby sure of the impression she was sure to be exhibiting? Should she be alerted to how improper she currently was?

Back
Top Bottom