Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How To Deliver Justice (with KiraMusani

King Gregor had been told by Calla Lily, his blonde, blue eyed daughter, about the issues plaguing Dunwyn since she was 12. For a short while There had been a reprieve from malcontents when a masked musketeer calling themselves The Crimson Avenger had shown up.

Whoever they were took care of the issue and then vanished. And that was the last anyone saw of the original vigilante with that name.

In the next year, Princess Calla grew in strength, stamina and abilities with archery, fencing and hand-to-hand; and fended off her share of male suitors, who always proved to even Gregor, they were after the prestige, power and wealth being engaged to a princess brought. And issues with Dunwyn came up again. Most of the knights claimed they knew nothing about it. Calla proved them wrong, but didn't have enough evidence to support her claims of the knights being negligent, lackadaisical, disrespectful or cowardly.

It was time for The Crimson Avenger to return. Shortly after her 13th birthday, she donned the disguise herself, and set out righting the wrongs and fighting for the people.

King Gregor met this new Crimson Avenger in the winter of that year and fought alongside her... The King was pleasantly surprised, and knew from watching her fight, that whoever this new Avenger was, it was a female. Having never seen his daughter fight, and not knowing she had secretly honed her skills... He had no idea the vigilante he called a truce with was his own daughter.

That was almost four years ago. It was early autumn of Calla's 17th year of life, and things were about to change for the vigilante princess, who was only allowed to continue as long as she followed the spirit of the law, and came to the King when he called. She got out of having to appear to "meet the Crimson Avenger" by feigning an illness as Princess Calla, and then appearing in the throne room in her hero guise to keep the truce.

That was just over a month ago, when a group of bandits had attacked a shipment and the knights supposedly stopped them, but not before much of the more expensive stuff had been taken. Calla was actually stumped, but suspected the knights were on the take, or bribed, one. Plus the villagers had complained to the Avenger about unfair taxation, but it wasn't showing up in the king's treasury.

Today the King called Amethyst, Dame Knight, and youngest at 19, to the throne room where Calla was seated on her throne at his right hand as Daughter of the Realm. After respectfully nodding, he bid Amethyst to rise. "Sharp Knight, I have need of your services again. I've heard rumours of money being siphoned off of Dunwynians as tax, but none is coming here. I beseech you to ask a few questions to see if I need to send word to our friend in the red musketeer outfit."

Calla looked uneasy. "I beg your pardon, Father, but that may make things worse. Why can't we just go and explore the village, and just talk to them like normal people. They'll clam up, certain as the existence of this Crimson Avenger of yours, if they are being taken advantage of, and not even HE would get any investigation done."

Gregor glared at his daughter. "As surely as YOU are sitting right next to me, The Crimson Avenger is a female. I've told you that before. She fights as an Amazon. Her fencing and archery are unmatched by even me. I suspect she is an Amazon and I will not cross any woman of that kingdom. Especially by calling her a man."

Again, he turned to Amethyst. "My daughter is right in one thing. Take her with you and have normal conversation with the people. Try not to arouse their suspicions of a possible investigation. I think my daughter's presence will ease them into being open since the people love her and trust you."

Turning to Calla, he said, "And mind your manners, I hear from Amethyst you so much as flirt with any single village girl, you'll be in the tower for a month. Since you swore you would not marry a man after Cavin broke your heart and that prince tried to rape you, I have plans to cement my truce with the Avenger and the Amazons."

Calla gulped. She slowly nodded, before rising, curtsied to her father and joined Amethyst at the foot of the dias "Let us away, Milady." A quick glance to the King, "Before he calls for Princess Diana herself to come get me now."

"How do you know it's the princess and not one of the other warriors? Or even the Avenger herself? Let's mount our steeds and ride." Amethyst chuckled.

Shortly, they would be in front of the general store, where knight and princess would enter, jingling the bells over the door.

@KiraMusani )

Clair was born to a relatively average family, her father was a former warrior, and her mother was a housemaid that served the nobility before they both decided to open up a general shop. They used her mother's learned business sense from when she listened in on her clients and a large amount of random loot her father gathered from his adventuring warrior days.

Whenever a device or toy they had planned to sell broke they simply gave it to Clair, even at a young age she would repair them so she could play with them. Often they would end up putting them back on the shelf as they rotated in new broken toys.

The older she got the more advanced things she was able to repair, quickly to even working her way into weapons, one of the more popular items. By the time she was in her double digits she was even making items, some of them wholly unique. Like a series of mirrors so they can see the front door from the back of the shop.

For the most part, their shop did fairly well, especially since they advertised as also a repair shop, using Clair's talents. However, recently the knights have been demanding higher taxes, and although her father likely could take on some of the knights in a fair fight, they had armor and numbers no man could stand up to, let alone if they pulled more forces down, so they relented.

Her mother luckily was smart enough to keep diligent records of how much was taken when and by whom. She also sent word about the town about it getting a lot of other townsfolk to come forward and the word eventually reached the king.

Clair's life was over minimal outside her family business, although she grew up in a public service business she had always been shy, hiding behind her workbench and inventions. She always like to listen and watch the customers but got its of anxiety when interacting with them.

She had attempted to interact a few times, though only with males as for some reason she felt more intimidated by cute girls that came in. Unfortunately it was also when she was manning the shop by herself and there were a few incidents.

Now that she was 17 she was still scared to interact with the customers, but had a way to see and hear the front when she was in the back, both for robery and to try and slowly learn to socialize.

Today even her father was surprised as the Kings daughter and what looked like a top ranked official walked into the shop, getting nervous at their royalty. Her mother however marched to them with bank book in hand.

"Finally, are you two here about the taxation?" she asked exasperated.

"Ahh! Honey you can't speak to them like that! I am sorry your highness, what brings you to our humble shop?" he asked with a bow.

An audible gasp could be heard from the back through the makeshift sounds system, if one were to be observant they would see a part of almost silver eyes looking through a series of mirrors at them.

Amethyst was light hearted and kind, and chuckled as she took Mrs. Handlers hand to shake. "Word travels fast, since King Gregor just asked me to look around town. Pleasure as always, Mrs. Handler." She gave a smile and also shook the dad's hand. "Pleasure to greet you as well, Mr. Handler."

Princess Calla simply curtsied to both, not meeting their eyes at first. "We weren't supposed to bring it up..." She glanced at the girl in the mirror with a double take. She only recognized her as she had been here to pick up darts for her crossbow as the Crimson Avenger. "But since it's out now, I should state that we aren't seeing these taxes come to the castle. Is it everyone?"

Amethyst shook her head. "Princess! Gregor told you to mind your manners!" She then apologized to the couple. "Please forgive 'Inspector Dunwyn'... She forgets herself sometimes. Just because you asked, didn't give her the right to barge in." She then asked how they were doing, where Clair was, since the knight thought of the tinkerer as her little sister, and other small talk.

Calla, meanwhile, roamed the store, before seeing a broadsword with a garnet in the hilt, that she thought was for sale... But was actually reserved for her as the Crimson Avenger... A gift from the villagers... On display until the one it was meant for showed up. She was so enamored by it, she picked it up. "What beautiful craftsmanship. Who made this, and could a smaller one be made for me?"

Amethyst was aghast. "Calla! Please put that thing down before you hurt yourself! You are NO warrior! Dreadfully sorry, Mr. and Mrs. Handler!"

Mrs. Handler took her hand and shook it with a smile, happy to be able to finally talk to someone with actual pull about what the knights were doing to them. Mr. Handler was also relieved both for the same reason as his wife and that the royals were not a very about their lack of official greeting, as well as jumping the proverbial gun.

Mrs. Handler was about to answer when Amethyst spoke up for her apology, getting a response letting her know there was no reason to apologize, she had brought it up and wanted to discuss it. Though both of them were fine with some small talk first. They explained that other than the increased taxation issues they had been fine and that Clair as per usual was in the back of the shop, being the shy genius. They were both always happy to talk up their daughter.

Both of them looked over as she grabbed the sword, responding with a want to brag at first.
"Ahh yes, despite the heavy taxes many townsfolk pools their gold together and helped pay for a specialty weapon to be made for the Crimson Avenger!" Mr. Handler explained announcing her name with a heroic tone.
"Clair made it and we bought and gathered the materials needed, though Clair said that only the Crimson Avenger herself would be able to wield it. Mrs. Handler added with a raised brow.

Clair seeing all this came out of the back.
"It's not done yet!" she declared, reaching out for it though would not dare take it from her unless it was handed over.

"But we both tested it and it didn't work for us" Mr. Handler retorted.

"Well umm, it's like an age and gender thing, any girls around our age can use it right now, I umm need her to hone in on just her." Clair lied.

"Didn't you use a hair or something like that?" Mrs.Handler asked.
"whaat?! That was umm a joke! Where would I even get a hair from crimson Avenger?! Hehe" she replied nervously.

Amethyst seemed amused at the exchange, as Calla shrugged and handed the broadsword over, hilt first. She glanced at Mr. Handler. "But weren't you in Gregor's knight class when he was a mere prince? And you couldn't hold up the sword?" She asked, shocked, noticing how both Calla and Clair were using only one hand. "You mind if I have a go to handling it? I was trained with the Amazons, it should be a piece of..." As Amethyst was handed the sword, however, "Holy! That's heavier than it looks!" She was still able to test grip and swiped at the air, but it took both hands!

"Where on earth did you get the strength to hold this with only one arm, Princess?! I need both to wield it!" She handed the broadsword over to Clair. "I think that proves you have to be Amazonian for that thing..." A scolding glance to Calla, "And someone is HALF Amazon."

Calla only shrugged. "I know so little about my mother. I only know she was not born in Dunwyn. I do suspect that the Amazon treaty may have something to do with my personal history. They aren't that trusting of men."

Amethyst nodded, and then directed the princess back to the couple, and it was that moment that a handful of knights, and Gregor's brother, Duke Igthorne, sauntered in, acting like they owned the place. "Tax time, Handlers!" The Duke grinned menacingly as the knights surrounded the foursome. "Interesting to see the princess and Sharp Mouth here," one of the knights said as the Duke nodded. "With these two royal buyers, here, that means you're doing quite well, this week." The Duke grabbed the princess by her mouth. "Twenty percent. You don't want the King going hungry when his own daughter shops here."

Calla yanked away. "You dare, Igthorne?!" She hissed. "Go back to Drekmore! You're not helping the king!"

"Your mouth is going to get YOU in trouble, Calla." Igthorne grinned evilly. "I could tax you personally for your lip, and you know it. Butt out and let us adults conduct business."

Amethyst touched the hilt of her sword, as Calla mouthed off again. "I'm over 16, now, 'Iggy', I AM an adult." It was clear there was no love lost between uncle and niece. Especially after Gregor himself banned him from trying to court her.

One of the knight's grabbed the princess by her mouth again. "Usually mouthing off like that costs five gold pieces, princess. Consider it penance tax for your mouth."

Amethyst glared at Igthorne, but chastised Calla. "You have your change purse with you, princess. I suggest you pay it and apologize to your father when we get back."

Calla sighed, nodded, and paid the "tax", humiliated in front of everyone, including the tinkerer who had to be watching all this, right? Calla also realized, this was a protection racket and not commissioned by the king at all.

Clair took the sword, knowing that she made the sword to allow herself to wield it so she could test and craft it. The special red gem in it actually would make it heavier and duller when it wasn't being held by an intended user.

Her father nodded.
"Yes well that was also some time ago now, I am retired, plus I was always more of a bare hands, or more accurate, gauntlet hand fighter, disarming and turning weapons against the user." he commented.

"Though I did have training in all available weaponry at the time for that combat style, but alas I know nothing of these new fangled enchantments, perhaps it is only to be wielded properly by the fairer sex" he suggested, unknowing about to be proved wrong.

As amethyst asked to use it in her head she was thinking that it would not work properly for her, but her social anxiety just handed it over.    She  remained quiet as the swung it around clearly having a hard time with it as she used two hands.

Clair was about to speak up when it was returned to her but as she started to talk about needing to be Amazonian she froze up again, maybe they would explain this away themselves, and perhaps they were right? Were Amazons truly that strong, their natural strength was enough to overcome the enchantment on the sword? Or perhaps the enchantment was for some reason allowing all with amazonian blood to wild it, there was no way for her to test for that before.

Clair just managed to get the sword back in it's place before the knights stormed in. So luckily she was not one of the four surrounded. Instead she watched and hid.

Mr.Handler clenched a first, wanting to out this man in his place, but he was unarmed and this was a small army with full plate armour and armed to the teeth. Had he even tried anything he would be cut down before managing even a bruise, no matter the difference in skill.

He was not the only one who knew this so instinctively Mrs.Handler put a hand on her back, making sure he didn't do something stupid.

Though as Amethyst seemed to reach for her weapon, he prepared himself to go for a pair of gauntlets that were on the shelf. If she acted, he would not allow these men to slay the process and her guard in his shop without putting up a fight. Luckily it didn't seem to come to that.

Once they, had finished with taxes the princess herself, it was clear they were not getting out of the tax this time. They gave the 20% this time and once again Mrs.Handler kept track of all the payments and names of the knights as they were busy taking and counting the gold. She also wrote about what happened to Calla and Amethyst.

Of course Clair was watching the whole thing, though was hiding as usual when the men came. once they left, seeming proud of themselves as they laughed and joked when they walked out of the shop to the next.

Clair came back to the group and stayed quiet as

Mrs. Handler was the first to speak.
"That is what we are talking about, these knights are out of control"

Mr. Handler looked to Calla.
"Are you okay princess? It's hard to believe they have gotten so confident they dare treat the Kings very daughter like that."

Amethyst sighed, releasing the hilt of her sword and pinching the bridge of her nose. "Sadly, it was best not to fight them, Gregor will not be a happy camper when he hears this. Especially that his brother is once again behind an attempt to usurp the throne. Rest assured, Gregor will be sending word to the Avenger, and I'll deliver the message personally."

Calla's audible gasp would catch everyone by surprise.

Amethyst gave the princess a worried look. "What was that for? You'd be the one to deliver the message, if you would have ever desired to meet her. This time, there's witnesses from the palace on what's going on. Gregor is going to use that, like it or not."

Calla just shook her head. Of all the people in the store, Amethyst would be sure to recognize her fighting style. That knight was the one that was teaching Calla self defense in hand-to-hand. The LAST thing she needed was AMETHYST to deliver the message. Amethyst would know immediately that Calla was The Crimson Avenger. This couldn't happen! "M-Maybe it's t-time I..." She gulped. "I met this hero."

Amethyst nodded. "You should indeed, Calla, but fair warning, when you see her in action, your heart will melt." She blushed, aware that she just admitted to her own crush. She quickly recovered, clearing her throat. "She's a force of good to be reckoned with, now if only she would just be a full knight in Gregor's employ."

"Maybe she has reasons she can't." Calla shrugged, head down. "I mean, if she's truly Amazonian as you say... She could already BE a warrior for them. Knighted, if you will. Or whatever passes FOR knight with them."

"Outfit's all wrong, Princess." A teenage girl came in, jingling the bells. "Sorry, couldn't help but overhear. Sooner The Crimson Avenger is on the case, the better. Duke Igthorne must be stopped, he's bleeding us dry." The brunette who wore her hair in a braided ponytail much like Calla's commented, nodding to all. "Cinnamon Baker. Daughter of the baker a few doors down." She then produced a list. "The usual supplies, please, Mrs. Handler, but there's a few added things as my cousin Cherry has her birthday and housewarming coming up shortly. Mostly household items. Pots, pans, kettles... Anyway, all on the list. I'll help gather."

Amethyst herded the princess towards the door. "Might I trouble you for a written copy of what transpired here today? Gregor would probably want that for his letter to the Avenger."

Mr. Handler could always help Cinnamon shop, if Mrs. Handler would write the copy, including the store taxes and Calla's "penance tax", the knights under Duke Igthorne's control had charged.

Mrs. Handler nodded as it was stated that the news would be passed to the hero.
"Well I certainly hope that she will be able to do something about this because we won't be able to continue like this, we are one bad week away from being out on the street" She explained showing their ledger, there were lots of red, the taxation was not only higher then it should have been but they had been making extra frequent stops.

Mr. Handler spoke up as Amethyst explained what the heroine was like.
"Well, I also saw her fighting once, when I was on an errand, and I have to say she didn't seem to fight like an Amazon, though not far off, it was actually more like-" He was about to say like Amethysts style which he had also seen, though most would not see the subtle difference between Amethyst fighting and that of the Amazons she trained with. But was interrupted by Cinnamon as she entered the store.

This entrance made Clair make a squeak-like noise and ran into the back, this was officially too many cute girls customers in the store for her to handle.

Mr. Handler chuckled.
"Heh, Clair, get the usual for Cinnamon! We will get the extras for you as Mrs. Handler here finishes up with Princess Calla and Lady Amethyst, why don't you three go into the back where you keep your backup files." He suggested getting a nod in response from Mrs. Handler.

"It won't take long come on girls, not many get to see behind the scenes here" She smiled as she lead them into the back.

As they entered the back they would see several extra items stacked high on shelves that had been attached to a rolling metallic hand-made ladder to reach the higher objects when needed. Lots of it was similar to what had been seen up front but others were broken versions of them set aside to be fixed, in a corner was a desk with several files and papers organized neatly. Across the room was another workshop with Clair having just finished grabbing the last of the things for Cinnamon. Her workshop had paintings of what seemed like the Crimson Avenger.

"Ah! Mom! What!?" Clair reacted by moving to cover up her messy workstation.

"Relax, they need a copy, check this out" She spoke to Amethyst then took the paper she had written already and stuck it in a device, which after a moment she opened again and pulled out a second paper that mimicked the first.
"There is your copy," She said offering it to her.

"Umm, this was all research for the sword.... by the way," Clair nearly mumbled.

"Oh yeah? so you started to research before we even had the commission for the sword huh? I didn't know you were psychic too!" She teased.

"Moooom!" Clair blushed.

"Hey, since you are going to be bringing the Crimson Avenger that letter, why not also bring the sword, you can carry it fine, and Clair can join you, She needs to get out more" She whispered the last part.
"You are one of the only people I say is protected enough that I would feel fine having her travel with you provided you bring her back" She offered.

Calla noticed the paintings and blushed as Amethyst paid more attention to what Mrs. Handler was doing. "So that's what aaahh she looks like...?"

Amethyst nodded with approval, "Fancy that. It copied it exactly. Perhaps, you should get King Gregor to proclaim it as your invention... He'd have to see it in action, it obviously copies using physical science, so there's no fear of being called witches over it." She thought about that. "Just don't let Igthorne catch you using it, please." She warned.

"Besides, magic is real," Calla said with an eye roll. "The Amazons amazing strength is proof enough of that. None of them look buff, and have you SEEN some of the sizes of the swords the guards carry? I'd like to keep them on OUR side, thank you very much."

As far as Clair going with them, Amethyst balked. "We didn't bring the carriage, today, just two horses! Clair would have to ride behind either Calla or myself! On the same horse back with one of us!"

"Umm... That's okay. I mean, we are sent to meet The Crimson Avenger, right? What if she stops in here for something, while we're in transit? The less people see that sword for her, the better anyway, right?" Calla gulped, eyes bugging out. "I mean, what if Igthorne is still around? Or one of his knights?"

Amethyst grimaced. "I hate to say it, but Calla's right. Whoever is sent out with the message will be going to The Avenger's last known whereabouts. And if I recall... It was back here, at the tavern. Besides... I recognized one of those knights as an ex-palace guard. He's a traitor, now, that he's decided to help tax Dunwyn to death."

After bidding goodbye to their friends, they quickly made their way to the palace. When he heard the news, and saw the paper... King Gregor hit the ceiling, and quickly called for one of his scribes to pen an emergency letter to the Avenger. He also called for the royal carriage.

"My King, usually you send someone on horseback...." Amethyst said worriedly, as the King sealed the letter, and pocketed it. "Are you meeting her, yourself?!"

Gregor just glared at Amethyst. "Considering who is at the root of this? My own brother? And again to make me look tyrannical? I need to. To clear my name in her and the Amazons eyes."

"Cinnamon says her outfit isn't Amazon, father. We didn't wait around for me to ask where she's from. She might not even be from a neighboring kingdom... And since she's a vigilante, maybe she ran away from her kingdom?" Calla surmised. "Be it as it may, if you're doing the run yourself, may I retire to my chambers for the evening?"

Gregor nodded. "Done. I'll check on you when I return. Amethyst, once she's in, guard her door."

Amethyst nodded and bowed.

Within ten minutes of entering her bedchambers, Calla had her crimson musketeer outfit on, mask and all, checked her crossbow, and escaped out her window to meet up with her father at the tavern, just beating him.

She pulled her hat more over her masked eyes, as she sipped her mead, as she watched her father enter. He took the chair across from her. "A most welcome surprise, Your Majesty. Usually it's a page, or knight. Why am I so blessed?" She asked in a whisper.

Gregor ordered a wine, and handed the letter to the Avenger. "All of Dunwyn needs you. I need you." He pointed to the letter. "Please, Avenger..."

Calla sighed, broke the seal, and saw the copy of the incident from that morning, slide out first. "What's this then?" She read the letter, and her heart sank. "Sire... I, even if..." She stumbled over her words. "Sire... I don't kill. You know this. It's why you allow me to avenge the wrongs done to the village."

"I'm not asking you to kill, Avenger..."

"And I quote from your own hand, Majesty, End his tyranny by any means necessary." Calla shook her head. "I'll stop him, but I draw the line at killing. This IS a type of war, granted, but... I don't wish to remind you, but shall..."

Gregor sipped his wine and waved her off. "Normally, I'd agree with you. But he used ogres to try to usurp the throne, then some kind of hypnosis to steal it, and attempt to marry my daughter, who was way underage at the time.... And now this? Avenger. I know you're a female, I'll give you my daughter as your life partner if you put an end to him! I'm desperate."

Calla raised her eyebrow as she heard her father's promise. "I can't take Princess Calla as reward!" She gasped, slightly louder than she would have liked. A few patrons turned to their table. Blushing, she went back to a whisper. "I still won't kill. I'll leave that to you. You are like a father to me, and although you're who I consider my king... Look, Sire... I'll beat the living hell out of him, when I have enough proof, but I'm sorry... You'll have to convict him, and put him to death, yourself. I promised you from the beginning. I swore an oath to you. I won't back out of that promise, now."

Gregor nodded his understanding. "Then at least accept the offer of marrying my daughter, Avenger. I'm asking so much of your services, let me repay you."

Calla nodded with a sigh. "Just... Don't announce this until I've completed the task of apprehending your wayward brother. Please." She then arose, leaving coins on the table, enough for even the King's wine, and left the tavern.

She then made her way to the general store, unsealed letter, and copy in gloved hand and walked in, bells jingling, announcing her arrival. "Anyone about? I need my rapier sharpened and some darts for my crossbow, please?" She knew about the sword already, but not as the Avenger, which she was now dressed as.

Mrs. Handler nodded at the remark about the copy machine.
"You would need to ask Clair about how it works, I just know how to use it" She smiled.

Hearing how she would need to travel made Clair blush, but she stayed quietly sweating as they continued to discuss, letting out a sigh of relief once it was decided she would stay back.

They all gave a wave as they left the store, Clair placing her hands on her hips after they were gone.
"Mom!"

"What?! I saw that look in your eye, besides I heard rumors the princess likes girls and you marrying in would do wonders for the business." She teased.
"Gah! Mom!!" She blushed and covered her face running into the back.

"Why do you feel the need to do that?" Mr. Handler asked with a raised eyebrow toward his wife.
"Hehe, it may help her out of her shell, and it's funny" She joked.

--------------------------

At the bar, there was a man sitting by the Crimson Avenger, looking like he was passed out, but he was just listening, and after Calla and the King left he was more than happy to start blabbing his story to the other patrons, including the very Knight they had discussed.

-------------------------

Back at the general shop, Mr. Handler was there and was in the middle of closing.
"Oh sorry Miss we- Oh! it's you, your ears must have been burning, of course, we can take care of those for you. However, we also have a gif from the people" He explained before turning his head.
"Clair! bring the sword out here!"

"ugh, what is it now?I- Ahh!" She came out with it, dropping it with a scream as she saw her.
"Oh, my Goddess! It's you! I am so sorry, umm here!" She picked the sword back up and walked to her, offering it to her by the hilt.

"It should only be usable by you and myself, however, there may be complications with other Amazons. I mean if you are indeed an Amazon if not we will have to figure out why the princess was able to use your sword! hehe," She laughed nervously.

"She also needs her rapier sharpened and more bolts for the crossbow, uhh, sorry darts" He added.

"Right! I'll do that right away for you!" Clair nodded.

The knight in question quickly left, "Duke Igthorne will reward me handsomely for this information..." He commented as he left.

At the store, The Crimson Avenger smiled as she handed over her rapier and sheath, before pulling out the sword, finally taking a good hard look at it, and giving a practice swing in the air. "Let's hope I have no need of this quite yet, until I've had more practice. I'm adept enough, but no expert." She sheathed it, and hooked it to her belt.

Calla gulped, Crap! That's right! She saw me wield it earlier, and Amethyst covered for me! "You don't say? Maybe she has the blood running through her veins. Half breeds that prove their mettle are welcome in. Any woman who can match swords with one can even become an honorary sister." This would easily explain how Amethyst would also be able to wield it, albeit with two hands.

She frowned, but gave a flirty smile and tease, "No dear, sweet, Clair, a bolt is the regular projectile. I need the thinner, sharper, more aerodynamic one that can pierce the thick skins of ogres and dragons!" She sighed and her shoulders slumped. "Perhaps I should have some bolts too. I'm more apt to be across an armoured human this time, than an ogre if this letter is any indication."

She then turned to Mr. Handler to begin her investigation. "Can you tell me more about this incident from this morning?" She asked, showing him the paper. "Names are well and good, but I need a description, the one who physically grabbed the princess, for example." The Duke and the ex-guard had done that. There had technically been two. "And anything else that you recall; leave nothing out, please."

Clair nodded and smiled as she took the sword.
"That is the thing, if you want to move it as such the sword should adjust to better match the combat style, so you can use your rapier skills" She explained.

Clair thought to herself for a moment before speaking out loud.
"Maybe we can ask the princess to help us in adjusting how specific the sword is, after all, we don't want just any Amazon using it right? So if we can figure out the difference between you and her we can perhaps help narrow the field." She suggested.

Clair nodded with a blush.
"Yes, got it, darts, and umm, there is something else that I have been working on that I want you to see." She said before taking off with the rapier to sharpen it and get the darts.

As she left Mr. Handler nodded and described all the knights as well as explained the things they said and did to the princess. Once he had finished that he looked at her hat and mask.

"So where did you learn to fight?" He asked just as Clair returned.

"Okay, rapier sharpened, darts, and take a look at this!" She showed her what looked like an L pipe in her hands, though with some other parts in addition to that.
"So before I show you how this works, I need to show you this." She walked over to a nearby desk, she then put a small amount of a black powder substance on it. After that, she took a hammer and smacked it causing it to pop with a loud noise and send the hammer back up.
"So that makes an outward force, using this device you can focus that energy and..." She said and pointed it at a plate mail chest and fired it, a projectile shot out at ridiculous speeds and pierced through the armor and its stand, causing it to fall over.

"I certainly hope you can fix that young Lady" Mr. Handler crossed his arms.

"Yeah, I'll fix it, but first, what do you think?" She asked the Heroine.

Calla frowned. It looked like keeping her secret wasn't going to be possible much longer. First her father promised her princess self to her alter ego, and she had no choice but to agree as the heroine, now Clair wanted to see the princess's fighting style and compare it to her hero fighting style. This was a recipe for disaster!

"I don't see that as necessary. I'm... I'm not full Amazon blood myself. Perhaps it's best my sisters can use it as well. I'm the 'black sheep' if you will. I don't believe in killing a human being unless absolutely necessary. I just had this conversation with my... King." Calla caught herself before saying 'father'.

She then listened to the account from Mr. Handler's point of view, and frowned. "This paper, and preliminary investigation, already tells me this isn't about taxes at all. A penance tax just for speaking one's mind? This is clearly about power and control. Taxes are monthly, on the same day, not twice a week in some cases."

She glanced at Mr. Handler. "I've studied all over, good sir. Iberia, Gaul, Germania, even from the original tribes of the Amazons in Greece. Themiscyra (correct spelling re: mythology), to be precise. I've blended all into my unique fighting style."

Her attention was shifted again to Clair and her demonstration. She barely flinched at the pop on the table, but watched the demonstration of how to use the 'L' shaped weapon.

The pop seemed much louder and the damage was apparent, causing Calla to wince and recoil when she was offered it. "A thousand times no! That weapon will only kill... I cannot accept such a thing. I know plenty of Amazon sisters who are fierce warriors who would. Xena and Cassandra come immediately to mind." Calla was visibly shaken, but it wasn't clear if it was the weapon itself or the power it wielded.

Gathering her composure about her, she said solemnly in a whisper for Clair's hearing only. "Let no one see that... That... Thunder Stick... Unless they ask for it by the name I just gave it. Then you will know I sent them... But as I said, I only know of two Amazon warriors that would dare trifle with such a thing. No one else should ever... EVER... Have one. That may be too dangerous even for the Amazons in reality." Calla sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose, speaking in her regular tone, "Many of your inventions are extraordinary, to say the least, dear Clair, and I treasure you for them; but some, I daresay shouldn't see the light of day... And that is one of them. Imagine the horrors someone like Igthorne could unleash with that."

Clair nodded.
"I suppose that makes sense, as long as you are okay with it then I suppose we can leave it as is." She nodded looking toward the sword, though she would have rathered her invention work the way she intended perhaps it would be better if the Amazons really needed it.

Mr. Handler nodded to her.
"My thoughts, or my wife's thoughts exactly, as we have discussed this much, I only hope there is something you can do about it, and if you need more muscle, I may be a little rusty but am not totally over the hill just yet" He offered and held his arm with a cheeky smile.

"Kill? Oh, I suppose so... I never thought about that, heh, I just get kind of carried away with ideas and don't usually think too deeply about their use" She looked at the Thunder Stick for a few moments, clearly she had put lots of work in the device, and before was very happy about her work.

Mr. Handler seemed surprised by this device as well.
"I am more worried if they start mass producing them, imagine an entire army with these, I agree with the hero here, you are my little genius, but that is too dangerous to risk it getting out" He spoke up.

Clair paused for a moment in thought, then moved over to the forge and tossed the thunder stick into the red-hot embers, at first another pop from the leftover powder then started to heat up.
"Now we are the only ones who will know of it, but the black sand? powder, I am bad at names, I think maybe can have more uses" She said looking at the small bag she had and putting it in her bag.
"I am sorry Crimson Avenger, maybe there is something else I can make for you? What do you have issues with when working?" She asked.

Crimson Avenger nodded with a wink towards Clair. "More than okay. I have a good mind to send some of my sisters to you for their own swords." She watched the Thunder Stick melt back to slag and sighed. "A pity, but necessary, I assure you. Who knows if any physician or healer could mend that..." She went over to the armor chest mannequin, righted it, and stuck her finger in the hole. "I can assure you... That blast would have been fatal, see? A person cannot be repaired or replaced, unlike this." She patted it's shoulder.

She then nodded to Mr. Handler, giving a curt, proper bow due to a retired knight. "After seeing my King fight alongside me a few years ago* against those highway men, I would consider it an honour to fight alongside you. Please don't feel you need to, however, it would pain me to see you get hurt."

Crimson Avenger took a small touch of it and rubbed it between her gloved fingers. "Hmm. Let me send word to the Amazons nearby. Cassandra would be better with names than even I. I would like to test this in the form of a tube... About yay big, long, and with a wick for a flint to light. If it pops like that by hammer or heat, it might serve as a good distraction technique." She mused.

She glanced back to Mr. Handler. "I'm surprised you had nothing farther to say about where I learned fighting techniques. Some of what I know can be found in even your own library. The Iberian I learned from was said to visit here about three years ago, now. Don Diego. Brilliant mind, that man. The Gaul was named D'Artagnan. Both taught me different fencing skills. Artemis of the Themiscyra Amazons taught me on both the bow and crossbow. Her archery skills are unmatched, I could only do so well under her tutelage, and finally the Teutonic trainer was in hand-to-hand combat, but he could wield a sword like no other. I suspect Lady Amethyst, who also has shown me how to wield a broadsword, and also trained with the Amazons around here, and who all Amazons call sister, may be from Germania, and trained with him as well. I believe King Gregor also learned from him. He is well known, although his name slips me, presently." Calla half hoped Mr. Handler would jog her memory.

*Four to be exact. When she was 13

Clair blushed again as she was winked at, her gaze turning toward the now-melted thunder stick.
"Yeah, you two were right, it was dangerous."
She nodded and then walked to the armour she had shot through and looked through the hole, taking the breastplate off the stand and showing that it went through both ends.
"Very dangerous." She added not realizing the extent of its power, but now thinking about other potentials.

Mr. Handler returned the bow.
"haha, yes well I am not excited to come out of retirement, but if I am absolutely needed, I will happily serve again" He replied.
"And I am sure my wife would not be happy to have me injured and ruin our business"

Clair nodded as she watched her look at her explosive powder, listening as she mentioned a distraction tool.
"Yes I was thinking the same, I have a few ideas on how to make something like that, as well as a few other things that are less deadly" Clair added.

Mr. Handler nodded.
"Right, I figured you were more my daughter's guest than mine, and although I make sure she hand handles herself with and without weapons, she is always more interested in her craft so did not want to distract from what you two were discussing, but if you want to talk shop with combat styles I am all ears." He smiled and listened to her, thinking about who she had forgotten.
"Are you perhaps thinking of Master Tarnok?" He asked trying to figure out who she was thinking of.

Crimson Avenger nodded along Clair, smiling as Clair and her seemed to be on the same page. "Certainly, and I'm sure it wouldn't be deadly if placed away from the populous. When I'm not busy investigating, and you have made a few, perhaps we could get together to test them in a clearing, condemned building or somewhere away from people, and monitor the results. This powder seems to be the same or at least similar to what the Chinese use in making fireworks. When set off by experts, the general populous are kept pretty far away from harm."

Her brow furrowed and a corner of her mouth turned up. "Tarnok... Yes, that rings a bell, he authored several books, one I'm sure is in the Dunwyn public library. I, sadly, was one of his last students to gain firsthand knowledge before his retirement." She glanced at Mr Handler. "Did you also train with him, and is that what you're passing on to this cutie?" She couldn't help but flirt as she glanced at Clair, "She has the most adorable blush. Plus her smile is a welcome sight." Directly focussing on Clair, she commented earnestly with her own smile. "You really ought to smile more. It's lovely."

She sighed. "As good as this visit has been, I really should be away, I wish to get an early start in the morning when everyone is open. Good night."

Without doffing her hat completely, she made her exit out the jingling door and right to the service wench who had served her mead and the king's wine earlier. "Congratulations, Avenger! There was a patron at the tavern who couldn't stop talking about overhearing the King offer you Princess Calla in marriage for defeating Igthorne!"

Poor Calla was both flabbergasted and dismayed. "That isn't in writing and the Duke hasn't been stopped yet! I'm just starting my investigation, and I am sure Gregor will find something more appropriate than his daughter. Being the partner to a hero would put her in too much danger. She's the princess, for pity's sake!" She gulped. She really needed to get out of the engagement to herself, and quickly!

Clair nodded and listened with interest as Calla spoke.
"Yes, umm, so will you just come here and collect me then?" She asked about them getting together.
"And I had not heard of these Chinese inventions, if you were able to get some of them it would be amazing perhaps I could improve mine by studying them."

Mr.Handler nodded and chuckled.
"Yes we trained together, and though she does possess some of the skills shared with him, I mostly taught her my disarming techniques." He explained laughing at her flirting.
"You won't get any arguments from me, despite her want to hide from the world she is a little cutie huh?" He chuckled teasing her.

Clair meanwhile was covering her face as it turned beet red.
"Oh, my goddess!"

They both walked her to the door and waved to her as she left, locking up once she was out. "Good Night" They both called out.

"Usually you hate it when people tell you to smile more, couldn't help but notice our hero friend might be an exception" Mr. Handler smirked looking down at Clair.

"Uhh, I need to get to work!" She declared and ran off to her workshop.

"Don't forget to sleep!" He called out to her.

------------------------

The next morning Clair was still asleep, usually she stayed up late finishing all her projects and slept till the afternoon as more Jobs came in.

As Clair slept in, The Crimson Avenger was already up and asking questions, door to door around the centre of town.

Some owners were too afraid to speak up, although many gladly who had helped have her sword made, spoke up once they saw it on her, even showing the ledgers.

Having retained copies of all those willing to show, including the tavern owner, who did so as long as the Avenger promised to go elsewhere with the paperwork, she made her way to the general store and entered in. "Good morrow!" She called out, but didn't sound chipper. It was just after noon.

"Ahh welcome back Avenger! you here for Clair, she is just out washing up." He smiled and leaned forward in a whisper.
"She just got up a little bit ago and wanted to be clean when you two met up." He added before registering her mood.
"You seem to be in a poor mood, I have heard a word about town about you, is there any merit to any of it?" He asked.

Meanwhile, Clair and her mother were returning from their wash at the baths, it was common practice for women to always travel in groups going to the baths to help protect themselves from aggressors. As Calla and Mr. Handler spoke they were still traveling back, freshly washed.

Calla sighed and nodded as she leaned against a counter. "Depends on what you have heard about me. I got an earful from a few merchants that have darkened my mood. Some are too afraid to talk, and those that have... I may have said too much as is."

She looked at the stack of papers in her hand, which numbered about 75% of Dunwyn. "I need the business sense of someone like your wife in order to make sense of these ledgers, but what I have so far, coupled with the copy from your store? Dunwynians are being taxed an exorbitant amount per week, totalling only one fifth, and that's a guess based on these numbers, one-fifth, mind you, what Gregor asks in a month."

She shook her head. "Duke Igthorne IS in the protection racket. Some of even those I spoke to, fear a return of the ogres if these exorbitant taxes aren't met." She rubbed her face. "I have already stopped by the post and sent a runner to the King with what I have learned and asked him to plead to our neighboring Amazons for help. I've also requested use of Lady Amethyst." She looked him right in the eyes. "This is already too big for just one person, despite my reputation."

Mr. Handler nodded.
"Well, that you were going to marry the King's daughter, and that you are going to assassinate Duke Igthorne, which by the way I don't believe and have tried to actively fight against that rumor. The latter I don't believe the bit about you marrying the King's daughter, no idea. I also heard the word of the Ogars potentially being involved with him"

Clair and her mother had walked in during their conversation and overheard them from the back where they entered.

"Yes, it is an awful lot, well I am sure my wife and daughter will be more than happy to help upon their return. Of course, I can as well, but, unless you want someone beat up, which you can do yourself I am not much help other than that." He explained just as the door opened, Clair walked out with a blush and her mother at her side.

"I will happily help you sort out those ledgers," Mrs. Handler said with a smile as they approached.

Clair was too busy thinking about how the Crimson Avenger was apparently marrying the King's Daughter.

Calla frowned. "He's offering his daughter's hand if I can stop Igthorne. Albeit, only verbally. It's not written out as yet, and I pray he reconsiders. However, with Igthorne having a few score of knights, both his own and those who have turned against Gregor.... It's going to take a village to save a village. I don't much care for 40-1 odds against me, no matter how expertly I fight... Five? Bring it. I might get messed up a bit, but I've fought against that many before, although it's been a few years, and King Gregor helped."

"Speaking of..." She pulled out the letter from Gregor, seal broken since the night before. "As far as assassinating the Duke? Here. Read this, and tell me you don't reach the same conclusion I did, when I reminded the King, I don't kill without due cause or because of war."

Sure enough, in Gregor's own hand, was penned. "It has been ten years and countless insurrections caused by my malevolent brother. This taxation is the latest attempt in a long line of villainous acts to usurp the throne. I implore you to end his tyranny by any means necessary and free my kingdom once and for all." How could Avenger, or anyone for that matter, not think the king was asking the receiver of the letter, The Crimson Avenger herself, to assassinate the Duke?

The Avenger met Mrs. Handler towards the back, and handed over the ledgers. "You'll see, that besides your very profitable business, others frequented by King Gregor, Princess Calla or Dame Lady Amethyst are also hard hit with weekly 20% taxes, the baker, tailor, tavern and Candle Emporium among them. Even the library. I mean, who taxes a library?" She shrugged. "The butcher also gets heavily taxed. 15% every time." She said pointing to the red marks. "Others hit with 10% every time are physicians and the church. Doctor Monroe said he may have to close up. He's already had to fire his receptionist."

Mr. Handler looked at the note and shook his head.
"Damn, well I suppose the rumors were more true than I thought. However, I am afraid my past would make me a hypocrite to complain about the request, in my day I got my share of blood on my hands. It seems like all times are war times nowadays." He rubbed the back of his head.
"Well if you need bodies, I think I can still fit into my armour, or have my daughter make me a new set." He offered.

Mrs. Handler nodded and looked at the papers with her.
"Yes, this is terrible, all this gold has to be going somewhere, but where that is at least isn't showing here. Though I suppose that is to be expected, nobody helping him would offer that information freely, when it can pin them as a traitor." She suggested.
"This will help at least convince the Amazons that he is trying to gather wealth to take over, and the King to use his own army to combat this one within his ranks." She suggested.

Clair started to gather her things as they talked, having a bag ready by the time The Avenger had finished with her mother she was packed and ready to go.
"Okay, umm, so I know this stuff is the highest priority, but I have some things here that can help, but narrowing down which ones are important. So if we go test them now, I can start making the appropriate amount of them if more are needed. Umm, if there is time for that, if not that is okay," She spoke in a reserved shy tone.

Avenger nodded as she stayed over by Mrs. Handler. "I daresay that would be prudent. The butcher and his two sons and daughter have promised to suit up, as well as the mousey looking librarian who dresses like a book, himself. I've asked him to be the strategian. Most of the other men are scared, but a lot of the women, including Cinnamon want to stand in the gap and defend their homes and families. Apparently it's true what is said about riling a mother bear."

She frowned as Mrs. Handler took her attention. "I was afraid you would say that. So you agree this is a gathering of dishonest wealth, and from the King's own people, as unwitting pawns in a larger scale." Frustrated she slapped the table, open-handed. "I suspect Amethyst will be sent to my sister's in the other kingdom, and she'll arrive with an Amazon army. Meanwhile, knowing Gregor, he'll split the remaining loyal knights to protect castle and village. We can't guarantee more than ten if he does that."

She looked at both as she stood up, flourishing her cape as she began to pace. "Any ideas you come up with, write down but keep hidden until I can announce a town meeting. I've told those helping the same. I don't know where to have it just yet, and explained to the librarian, I won't put a place of learning in danger of attack by Igthorne and his motley crew."

She looked to Clair, "If you're ready, luv, let us away and test the distraction poppers... For lack of a better name until the Amazons arrive."

Back
Top Bottom