Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(Sci-Fi) Interest Check - Do you want to die in Character Creation? - Classic Traveller

Nihilistic_Impact

Brigadista
Supporter
Eye_of_Aarran - Copy.png
The title is a little tongue in cheek; but character creation for this game does have the possibility of death as it is a mini game which I have enjoyed playing solo many times. Now though I feel like I've done more than enough solo play and my in person group has not managed to meet since before Covid began and I've got an itch. I want to run some Classic Traveller.

What is Classic Traveller?
Classic Traveller refers to the first edition of the Science Fiction TTRPG, in particular I use the 77 Boxset; but for ease of providing information I'll instead be using the 81 reprint.​

What sort of Sci-Fi?
There are many Sci-Fi that inspire me, I do not expect everyone to know my references, nor is this list exhaustive and limited to just books.​

Dune by Frank Herbert
Dumarest of Terra by EC Tubb
Solar Queen by Andre Norton
Demon Prince by Jack Vance
Downbelow Station by CJ Cherryh
Miles Vorkosigan by Lois McMaster Bujold
Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
Bel Dame Apocrypha by Kameron Hurley
But my idea of a setting follows a couple precepts.
17eg5ubpx1d7mjpg.jpg
  • A distant Imperium lays claim; but distance, internal intrigues and external wars makes lie to the claim.
  • Humanity has spread to the stars in a Great Diaspora, earth is a myth.
  • Ancient alien ruins of unknown purpose litter known space waiting to be explored and exploited.
  • Alien polities vie for dominance of worlds.
  • Technology is a blend of the wonderful and mundane. Ships fly on fusion tails while lead kills a man.
  • Psionics are feared by the masses; but treated as a tool by the elites.
Like wise characters are typically those who are restless in peaceful times, resourceful and accomplished. They dwell in liminal spaces.

What sort of Player?
I am looking for 2-3 people.

I am looking for people who are willing to post with good regularity. I am not looking for novels with each post. This is a system rp, think of it like you would at a table and how you must quickly describe what your character is doing. A sentence or two is alright in my book.

I am not looking for sexy fun times. If you want your character to have a sexual encounter, fine; but I'm not going to write out that scene.​

I hope that this will be successful, I hope there is some interest. So let's have some fun.
Let's see if you die in Character Creation.​

Considering the tech level for the vacc suit in particular, I would say you could shell out the credits for some more effective armor; but the vacc suit would no longer count as cloth. Though do note that depending upon where you travel being heavily armed and armored may draw suspicion and can be illegal.

Another item is that only reflec stacks with other armors, in which case you use whatever is the better of the two.

I'm going to say no to the idea of a discount; but if you want her to be the one that sold you stuff. That I've no problem with.

Hah, okay. Well moving forward, I'm gonna say that he'd be aware enough to get the maximum amount of protection for his vacc suit (while spending the fewest credits), but also have standalone armor that's perhaps more subtle, if possible.

Honestly your vacc suit which acts as cloth, which for traveller is more like ballistic soft body armor is about as good as it gets. There is combat armor which is kind of like what you described, but it requires you to have vacc suit 1 to use properly and costs 20,000 credits.

I had to double check this since I had thought it battle dress that requires this; but that was just in the 77 version which I typically use in my home game and there combat armor is not even a thing. So I guess in the 81 version battle dress, read power armor, doesn't require any skill to use. Could create a character motivation to track some down.

If you want to layer your cloth with anything you really have two options, spend 1500 credits on reflec which is best against lasers or ablat which only costs 75 but does decrease efficiency with each shot taken.

For standalone armor that's more subtle, would probably be mesh which is just a step down from cloth and is better against melee weapons only costs 150 credits.

Alright, that sounds good.

So I know that I've delayed the start longer than I had intended; but I have been working generating NPCs and an opening scenario which the players can either observe or try to insert themselves into.

Take your time. Let us know when you’re ready to launch.

Thank you for reaching out, this is actually helpful as my wandering interests had pretty much killed this.

Do we know if the Captain is still interested?

So, Jason Stockton & Lt. Commander Torven Askant reporting for duty.

We went through that deadly character generation process -- damn straight we're up for an adventure.

Alright, intending to set up a character profile thread for you guys first. After that will be the IC thread and an OOC thread.

Also checking to see if a friend is interested.

I mean in classic TTRPGs like DnD there are big clanky armored fighters and then there are people like rogues and druids and mages who are more easily able to blend in, and both work usually so unless things are drastically different in terms of how people perceive others who are dressed in armor, I should be okay.

And Torven has a rank. I would think that it's safe to assume I could have mustered out at Sergeant, perhaps Staff Sergeant?

Oh, right, the Scouts don't have ranks do they?

Also checking to see if a friend is interested.
Great, someone else to absorb hostile bullets the more the merrier.

And Torven has a rank. I would think that it's safe to assume I could have mustered out at Sergeant, perhaps Staff Sergeant?
Well ... techincally, Torven has been discharged but (and correct me if I'm wrong NI) he's tangentially connected to the military establishment. Plus, he's kind of an uptight dick about being referred to by his naval rank ... even though he's not in the navy.

Any actions taken by parties in relation to the Imperium will be disavowed by authorities, should it be deemed necessary.

As for the armor, well Captain, if my brief skim back through the thread is correct, you have armor because you wear a space suit and it's of a high enough tech level that it's not bulky and probably could be misidentified by casual observers as weird foreign fashion and by those that do as you just being a paranoid spacer.

Any actions taken by parties in relation to the Imperium will be disavowed by authorities, should it be deemed necessary.

As for the armor, well Captain, if my brief skim back through the thread is correct, you have armor because you wear a space suit and it's of a high enough tech level that it's not bulky and probably could be misidentified by casual observers as weird foreign fashion and by those that do as you just being a paranoid spacer.
Fair enough. Paranoid, or prepared, or just can't be bothered to take off the whole thing while planet-side. Any of those work LOL

Cool. Can we chat about basics with our group? How do they come together? Do they have a vessel? And most importantly, if yes — does it have a wet bar?

At the start of this your two characters will have been travelling together for a week. If you want them to have prior knowledge of one another before then I'm alright with that.

You currently do not have a ship; but based on some rolls I had made a while ago the one you are travelling on has a friendly enough captain that would allow you free passage if he's already going that way. And it does have a wet bar. You will have the opportunity to acquire your own, possibly even a fleet of them.

Also to kick things off, the character profile thread.

Sadly, I was unable to roll for the loaner that the Scouts have a chance to get. What kind of vessel, first of all? We talking more like the Enterprise, the Millennium Falcon, the Normandy?

Hello there. I see this is about to start and I thought I'd duck in and see about making a character. I haven't really done Traveller before but I've heard about it some, particularly randomness and tables.

Thank you for your interest, the best way to get you started would be to roll 2d6 for each stat. Strength, Dexterity, Endurance, Intelligence, Education and Social Standing.

Feel free to roll and then assign. As I am getting ready for work I'll have to respond later in the day.

Back
Top Bottom