Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(Sci-Fi) Interest Check - Do you want to die in Character Creation? - Classic Traveller

Nihilistic_Impact

Brigadista
Supporter
Eye_of_Aarran - Copy.png
The title is a little tongue in cheek; but character creation for this game does have the possibility of death as it is a mini game which I have enjoyed playing solo many times. Now though I feel like I've done more than enough solo play and my in person group has not managed to meet since before Covid began and I've got an itch. I want to run some Classic Traveller.

What is Classic Traveller?
Classic Traveller refers to the first edition of the Science Fiction TTRPG, in particular I use the 77 Boxset; but for ease of providing information I'll instead be using the 81 reprint.​

What sort of Sci-Fi?
There are many Sci-Fi that inspire me, I do not expect everyone to know my references, nor is this list exhaustive and limited to just books.​

Dune by Frank Herbert
Dumarest of Terra by EC Tubb
Solar Queen by Andre Norton
Demon Prince by Jack Vance
Downbelow Station by CJ Cherryh
Miles Vorkosigan by Lois McMaster Bujold
Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
Bel Dame Apocrypha by Kameron Hurley
But my idea of a setting follows a couple precepts.
17eg5ubpx1d7mjpg.jpg
  • A distant Imperium lays claim; but distance, internal intrigues and external wars makes lie to the claim.
  • Humanity has spread to the stars in a Great Diaspora, earth is a myth.
  • Ancient alien ruins of unknown purpose litter known space waiting to be explored and exploited.
  • Alien polities vie for dominance of worlds.
  • Technology is a blend of the wonderful and mundane. Ships fly on fusion tails while lead kills a man.
  • Psionics are feared by the masses; but treated as a tool by the elites.
Like wise characters are typically those who are restless in peaceful times, resourceful and accomplished. They dwell in liminal spaces.

What sort of Player?
I am looking for 2-3 people.

I am looking for people who are willing to post with good regularity. I am not looking for novels with each post. This is a system rp, think of it like you would at a table and how you must quickly describe what your character is doing. A sentence or two is alright in my book.

I am not looking for sexy fun times. If you want your character to have a sexual encounter, fine; but I'm not going to write out that scene.​

I hope that this will be successful, I hope there is some interest. So let's have some fun.
Let's see if you die in Character Creation.​

I didn't catch the base-0 skill rating for weapons in the rules, but I was skimming at best. That alleviates some concern and balances things out.

I'll just muster out and figure it out as we go along -- but the idea was being a Military Agent for some Advanced Intelligence Service tied to Naval Operations. Never said he was brilliant, only that he searches for opportunities that would benefit Naval forces in the event they need to sweep in and occupy the sector. But, no sure if this is supported by (or if it's misaligned with ) your plot. I'm flexible, just want to find a middle ground between the idea and what you have in mind.

Can you confirm the die rolls for mustering out of the Navy?

I didn't catch the base-0 skill rating for weapons in the rules, but I was skimming at best. That alleviates some concern and balances things out.

I'll just muster out and figure it out as we go along -- but the idea was being a Military Agent for some Advanced Intelligence Service tied to Naval Operations. Never said he was brilliant, only that he searches for opportunities that would benefit Naval forces in the event they need to sweep in and occupy the sector. But, no sure if this is supported by (or if it's misaligned with ) your plot. I'm flexible, just want to find a middle ground between the idea and what you have in mind.

So it sounds to me like you wanna be Ian Fleming. Nice.

Is that right? quickly researches Ian Fleming's background

Ahh ... I suppose so. lol

No problem. It was one of those little things that I had to have pointed out to me. While I love the system I will readily admit to it's layout leaving much to be desired.

And I see no real issue with this plot. You can be covertly employed by an Imperial Spy Agency of some sort, kind of like how the CIA will hire people through some private company that is CIA friendly to do things. You'll be a retired naval officer. This honestly fits nicely.

As for Mustering out for you, you get 2d6 rolls for your two terms, and 2d6 rolls for reaching rank 3. For a total of 4d6, please make these rolls and consult the table on the previous page. Only a maximum of three rolls can be applied to the cash table.

Alright, great. Mustering rolls are recorded below.

mustering rolls.JPG

From the table, under Navy, I'll take the higher monetary amounts (2x20,000CR) and (2) +1 Intelligence. So, in summary:

40,000 CR
+2 Intelligence

I would advise against the 1 20,000 credit and go for the Travellers', which is Travellers' Aid Society membership. It grants the owner a free high passage ticket every two months, which can be banked and sold. It also costs 1,000,000 credits to purchase after character creation with the chance of being denied.

I would advise against the 1 20,000 credit and go for the Travellers', which is Travellers' Aid Society membership. It grants the owner a free high passage ticket every two months, which can be banked and sold. It also costs 1,000,000 credits to purchase after character creation with the chance of being denied.
Guess I'll go with that, then.

New Mustering Summary
Travellers' Aid Society Membership
20,000 CR
+2 Intelligence

So, I've not forgotten this. Real life has just been busy. Plan for the remainder of the week is to get the appropriate threads set up. If Kitten finds the time to join in she is still welcome, as is any other party that wanders through.

Going to start you off as arriving at Glisten from beyond the border of the map. Are there any items either of you would be interested in purchasing?

If Kitten finds the time to join in she is still welcome, as is any other party that wanders through.
The more the merrier — my character is allergic to incoming gunfire.

Speaking of which … I’ll want to buy a few thing, particularly a ballistic gun. Is a list of generally available items in the rules?

Cool.

So .... I did something. lol

H8i22Gv.jpg

I figured that I'd collect all the information about my character in a zippy graphic. I'm happy to create these for every other character, unless want something different, NI.

Also, @captain_bond -- do you want screen shots of the weapon and equipment guides with prices?

You got it ---

MDOEOZS.jpg

Let's go shopping!!

Okay, from the first chart on down.
Starting Capital: CR 50,000

Weapons

Dagger -10
Automatic Pistol -200
Laser Rifle/Power Pack -5,000
Suppressors for whichever of the above weapons support them -200/400
Telescopic Sights for LR: -200
Total Weapons Cost: 5,610

Body Armor

Vacc Suit -20,000
(Let me know if I need ablat or cloth if the vacc suit provides no protection against weapons)

Personal Devices (Will buy visual aids and shelter later if needs be)

Geiger Counter (cause that's what it's called IRL) -250
Inertial Locator -1,200
Hand Computer -1,000

Total Cost: 28,060

Last edited:
Jason Stockton
Former Imperial Scout

CR: 21,940

Strength
Dexterity 5
Endurance 7
Intelligence 5
Education 7
Social Standing 9

----------------------------------
Pilot
Education +1
Gunnery
----------------------------------
Dagger
Automatic Pistol w/ suppressor
Laser Rifle/Power Pack w/ telescopic sights
Vacc Suit
Geiger Counter
Inertial Locator
Hand Computer

1642131667156.png

Last edited:
Real life has been busy, so sorry for the delays.

One thing I have been thinking about is how best to format the IC parts because Traveller has several random encounter checks. So I think what I'll do is zoom out and use a week as standard, I'll roll the appropriate checks for each day. And then when we need to we'll zoom in to deal with particulars.

They don't need them. They're like actual lasers, not star wars blasters. The combat rules even call it out as being silent.

So theoretically with a laser rifle you can maintain surprise indefinitely so long as no one becomes aware that you're dropping folks.

Suppose I should also mention that your physical stats also double as your hit points.

They act like cloth, and I'm going to say it's a Tech Level 13 vacc suit, so it effectively adds nothing to your weight.

Okay so if I want to add ballistic or energy weapon protection to the suit, should I just knock off the required credits for the appropriate standalone armors? Or perhaps on discharge, my Quartermaster decided to sell me a military-issue vacc suit with one protection or the other built-in, at full price for the base suit but some kinda discount for the add-on? Maybe she liked the way I, ahem, handled my weapon. Being a pragmatic sort, she had no hard feelings when we parted ways, so she decided to do me a solid.

Back
Top Bottom