Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(Sci-Fi) Interest Check - Do you want to die in Character Creation? - Classic Traveller

Nihilistic_Impact

Brigadista
Supporter
Eye_of_Aarran - Copy.png
The title is a little tongue in cheek; but character creation for this game does have the possibility of death as it is a mini game which I have enjoyed playing solo many times. Now though I feel like I've done more than enough solo play and my in person group has not managed to meet since before Covid began and I've got an itch. I want to run some Classic Traveller.

What is Classic Traveller?
Classic Traveller refers to the first edition of the Science Fiction TTRPG, in particular I use the 77 Boxset; but for ease of providing information I'll instead be using the 81 reprint.​

What sort of Sci-Fi?
There are many Sci-Fi that inspire me, I do not expect everyone to know my references, nor is this list exhaustive and limited to just books.​

Dune by Frank Herbert
Dumarest of Terra by EC Tubb
Solar Queen by Andre Norton
Demon Prince by Jack Vance
Downbelow Station by CJ Cherryh
Miles Vorkosigan by Lois McMaster Bujold
Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
Bel Dame Apocrypha by Kameron Hurley
But my idea of a setting follows a couple precepts.
17eg5ubpx1d7mjpg.jpg
  • A distant Imperium lays claim; but distance, internal intrigues and external wars makes lie to the claim.
  • Humanity has spread to the stars in a Great Diaspora, earth is a myth.
  • Ancient alien ruins of unknown purpose litter known space waiting to be explored and exploited.
  • Alien polities vie for dominance of worlds.
  • Technology is a blend of the wonderful and mundane. Ships fly on fusion tails while lead kills a man.
  • Psionics are feared by the masses; but treated as a tool by the elites.
Like wise characters are typically those who are restless in peaceful times, resourceful and accomplished. They dwell in liminal spaces.

What sort of Player?
I am looking for 2-3 people.

I am looking for people who are willing to post with good regularity. I am not looking for novels with each post. This is a system rp, think of it like you would at a table and how you must quickly describe what your character is doing. A sentence or two is alright in my book.

I am not looking for sexy fun times. If you want your character to have a sexual encounter, fine; but I'm not going to write out that scene.​

I hope that this will be successful, I hope there is some interest. So let's have some fun.
Let's see if you die in Character Creation.​

OK, choices seem pretty obvious here.

Travellers Society, +1 intel, +1 intel, 10k cash, 20k cash. I'll start looking at the spendy spacebucks stuff.

Thanks Rex, last night got chaotic for me. Had to assist my roommate and getting one of her cats hospitalized, which may lead to him being putting to sleep. All depends on how things go in the near future.

Not a problem, glad I could assist.

Without a doubt, it's hard coping with an ailing pet. And, it sounds like you’re also comforting the pet owner. Best of luck to everyone.

Definitely want a cloth/reflec set and an ablat to swap if a given objective has a lot of laser. How does storage work? I mean, I assume we're not hauling around 50kg toolkits everywhere - where do we stash our stuff?

Also, a couple other things.

Shoulder Stocks say they add range to a weapon, but it's unclear how much range, and at what modifiers. For example, the auto pistol specifically mentions shoulder stocks, but there's no entry on the range table for the modified pistol. I'm trying to figure out if the pistol can ever remotely replace say ... an SMG at medium or long range. With the stock, neither is really concealable, so the only benefit of a stocked pistol seems to be at Close range (absent more info). I think the answer is no, but it's certainly unclear, especially considering the availability of silencers for the pistol. Of course, silencers don't matter if the throw is 3 or more worse - silently missing doesn't move the utility needle.

May I assume Body Pistol silencers, being made for a weapon designed to pass weapons detectors, are also designed to pass weapons detectors?

Last edited:
Definitely want a cloth/reflec set and an ablat to swap if a given objective has a lot of laser. How does storage work? I mean, I assume we're not hauling around 50kg toolkits everywhere - where do we stash our stuff?
I would assume that our characters' belongings would be stowed in a military-issued foot locker of some sort -- transported from place to place, ship to ship? But, then there's the issue of encumberance? Page 36 of the rules details below ...

So, we'll need to calculate our gear's weight and decide whether we want to be under 'normal' load or 'double' load.

I was already counting on the weight limit for battle - it's the reason I want to know if an auto pistol can replace a SMG. ;)

I'm more concerned with the tool kits. Obviously they're not going to be drug into battle, but taken together they're well over 100 kg. They should be somewhat compact, but I'm assuming *not* footlocker material.

Hmmm … unless NI authorizes repulsor-lift or grav-field tech, you’ll be working those muscles, Commander.

Though, you could always get an assist when unloading if you ask nicely …

@Nihilistic_Impact when do we meet the mystery 4th member?

Considering the rules for a folding stock confers a -1 when folded I'll say using one on a weapon that typically doesn't will grant a +1 to all range bands.

Not sure where you're getting the 3 or worse for silencers. Rules as I'm reading them say that a silence weapon maintains surprise, it's only when a hit fails to knock someone unconscious there's a chance for surprise to be lost.

As for where to keep your equipment, as a member of the TAS you can probably store it with them, though that's only at A and B class starports. There is listing for lodgings so you can rent a place as well.

The 3 wasn't a rule, it was by comparison to the SMG.

At long range, I can throw the SMG at -1, (-3 from table and +2 from advantaged Dex) and a stocked auto pistol at -5 (-6 from table, +1 stock, no advantaged dex because the weight knocks my dex down) . That's a whopping -4 in comparison, meaning it's way too situational to justify the weight. It's -7 at medium range. Ergo, my question is answered: Auto Pistol stays at home if the SMG is coming.

Of course I understand the SMG is a more openly "hostile" weapon than the pistol, but presumably my associates are bringing rifles and carbines and laser power packs if combat is expected, so I'll hardly look innocuous with them regardless.

I don't mean any of this as argument, my initial assumption was the answer was "no, the pistol cannot come within 3 of the SMG even with stock", so it doesn't shock me that is your finding. ;)

Back
Top Bottom