Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(Sci-Fi) Interest Check - Do you want to die in Character Creation? - Classic Traveller

Nihilistic_Impact

Brigadista
Supporter
Eye_of_Aarran - Copy.png
The title is a little tongue in cheek; but character creation for this game does have the possibility of death as it is a mini game which I have enjoyed playing solo many times. Now though I feel like I've done more than enough solo play and my in person group has not managed to meet since before Covid began and I've got an itch. I want to run some Classic Traveller.

What is Classic Traveller?
Classic Traveller refers to the first edition of the Science Fiction TTRPG, in particular I use the 77 Boxset; but for ease of providing information I'll instead be using the 81 reprint.​

What sort of Sci-Fi?
There are many Sci-Fi that inspire me, I do not expect everyone to know my references, nor is this list exhaustive and limited to just books.​

Dune by Frank Herbert
Dumarest of Terra by EC Tubb
Solar Queen by Andre Norton
Demon Prince by Jack Vance
Downbelow Station by CJ Cherryh
Miles Vorkosigan by Lois McMaster Bujold
Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
Bel Dame Apocrypha by Kameron Hurley
But my idea of a setting follows a couple precepts.
17eg5ubpx1d7mjpg.jpg
  • A distant Imperium lays claim; but distance, internal intrigues and external wars makes lie to the claim.
  • Humanity has spread to the stars in a Great Diaspora, earth is a myth.
  • Ancient alien ruins of unknown purpose litter known space waiting to be explored and exploited.
  • Alien polities vie for dominance of worlds.
  • Technology is a blend of the wonderful and mundane. Ships fly on fusion tails while lead kills a man.
  • Psionics are feared by the masses; but treated as a tool by the elites.
Like wise characters are typically those who are restless in peaceful times, resourceful and accomplished. They dwell in liminal spaces.

What sort of Player?
I am looking for 2-3 people.

I am looking for people who are willing to post with good regularity. I am not looking for novels with each post. This is a system rp, think of it like you would at a table and how you must quickly describe what your character is doing. A sentence or two is alright in my book.

I am not looking for sexy fun times. If you want your character to have a sexual encounter, fine; but I'm not going to write out that scene.​

I hope that this will be successful, I hope there is some interest. So let's have some fun.
Let's see if you die in Character Creation.​

Welcome.

You can assign rolls to stats, and weโ€™ve been posting a screen shot of the rolls. See here.

Arrange to taste, and know that where you place them will confer bonuses for your profession.

The professions are Navy, Marines, Army, Scout, Merchant and Other.

If you want to wait to go over them when I'm done with work that is also alright.

OK. I have raw rolls located here.

So what about:
Strength: 5
Dexterity: 10
Endurance: 9
Intelligence: 6
Education: 9
Social: 11

A daughter of a line of knights, she was exposed to quality education and physical training programs. However, a lack of discipline and a natural impulsiveness resulted in her neglecting the more basic programs - philosophy, weights and resistance training - in favor of more applied learning.

I'm thinking about having her go Navy. Sure, it's probably what the family expects, but Army and Marines seem like very rigid places with a bit too much emphasis on staying in line.

For Ahlanna and everyone's convenience ... HERE is a copy of the core roles for the edition of Travellers we'll be using.

My friend rolled up an army character the other night, one term. She is also a knight.

This should be entertaining.

Looking at Rex's post above I ran the five rolls.

So I rolled: (earliest roll at the bottom, as this site fills from top down)

6 for enlistment (is that a fail?)

6 for survival

10 for commission

8 for promotion

9 for re-enlist

I'll let @Nihilistic_Impact guide you, but here are the conditions he gave me for Naval enlistment.

Enlistment, roll 8 or better on 2d6. +1 if Intelligence is 8 or better and +2 if education is 9 or better.
Survival is roll 5 or better on 2d6. +2 if intelligence is 7 or better.
Commission is 10 or better on 2d6. +1 if social standing is 9 or better.
Promotion is 8 or better on 2d6. +1 if education is 8 or better.
Re-enlistment is 6 or better on 2d6.

If you add your education bonus (+2) to your enlistment roll, you make it.

Oh, that way makes a lot more sense than trying to figure out the table from the doc you posted, which says it increases the difficulty modifier by 2.

I was all "why would it be harder?"

Oh, I know ... I'm used to reading "DM" as Difficulty Modifier. But, in Travellers it's Die Modifier.

Welcome to the Navy, Ensign.

So ... she struggled to get in, barely got away with some risks on survival; and then proceeded to schmooze enough brass to make the other rolls no problem.

Alright, Ahlanna. You have made it through your first term, the next step is rolling for skills.

You get four rolls of 1d6.

You also have the option to do another term in the navy, or you can muster out at the young age of 22.

So you get the option of
+1 Social, Gun Combat, Jack of All Trades or Administration
+1 Intelligence, Gunnery, Engineering or Computer
+1 Endurance, Forward Observer, Electronic, Engineering
+1 Strength, Ship's Boat, Vacc Suit, Medical

To do another term, you do another survival check, a promotion check and re-enlistment.

Ooh, tough choices.

+1 Social is hard to pass up. And we already have a Jack of Trades, wouldn't want to steal any thunder.
Engineering might be a little situational. But it's an important situation, and probably good for getting on ships.
Electronics fits in well with that Engineering.
And Medical is always nice to have.

Term 2 rolls ... 8 survival, 8 promo, 12 re-enlist.

OK, so I tried to batch up the rolls this time.

Skills for Term 2: 2 and 1

Term 3 Survival - 12 (no close call this time!)
Term 3 promo - 7
Term 3 reenlist - 5

Skills for Term 3: 4 and 2

So you get the options of
+1 Dexterity, Vacc Suit, Mechanical, or Navigation
+1 Strength, Ship's Boat, Vacc Suit, or Medical

You get one more promotion and two more skill rolls; but failed the re-enlistment roll.

So you'll muster out as a Commander at the age of 34.

Wouldn't it be 30? She did 3 terms, 18-22, 22-26, 26-30?

Term 1 was pretty peaceful. Apart from that nasty collision where she nearly died saving the Archduke's daughter - bet daddy never figured she'd be the one to better the family's standing!

However, Term 2 is a front-line patrol. She picks up Mechanical and Ship's Boat to deal with out-hull situations. With a wide range of repair skills (Mechanic, Electronic, Engineering, and Medical) at this point, the Captain names her Damage Control officer. Thanks to the active front, he won't let her leave!

Term 3 is constant fighting, and she gains experience in Vacc Suit and even Gunnery.

Right, right. I miscounted due to the promotions.

So now we do the mustering out, you get a total of 5 rolls, so 5 1d6 rolls. You'll get to pick between the benefits or cash table; but only three of them can apply to the cash.

@Ahlanna

Here is a link to the mustering table that NI posted some time ago.

Back
Top Bottom