Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(Sci-Fi) Interest Check - Do you want to die in Character Creation? - Classic Traveller

Nihilistic_Impact

Brigadista
Supporter
Eye_of_Aarran - Copy.png
The title is a little tongue in cheek; but character creation for this game does have the possibility of death as it is a mini game which I have enjoyed playing solo many times. Now though I feel like I've done more than enough solo play and my in person group has not managed to meet since before Covid began and I've got an itch. I want to run some Classic Traveller.

What is Classic Traveller?
Classic Traveller refers to the first edition of the Science Fiction TTRPG, in particular I use the 77 Boxset; but for ease of providing information I'll instead be using the 81 reprint.​

What sort of Sci-Fi?
There are many Sci-Fi that inspire me, I do not expect everyone to know my references, nor is this list exhaustive and limited to just books.​

Dune by Frank Herbert
Dumarest of Terra by EC Tubb
Solar Queen by Andre Norton
Demon Prince by Jack Vance
Downbelow Station by CJ Cherryh
Miles Vorkosigan by Lois McMaster Bujold
Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
Bel Dame Apocrypha by Kameron Hurley
But my idea of a setting follows a couple precepts.
17eg5ubpx1d7mjpg.jpg
  • A distant Imperium lays claim; but distance, internal intrigues and external wars makes lie to the claim.
  • Humanity has spread to the stars in a Great Diaspora, earth is a myth.
  • Ancient alien ruins of unknown purpose litter known space waiting to be explored and exploited.
  • Alien polities vie for dominance of worlds.
  • Technology is a blend of the wonderful and mundane. Ships fly on fusion tails while lead kills a man.
  • Psionics are feared by the masses; but treated as a tool by the elites.
Like wise characters are typically those who are restless in peaceful times, resourceful and accomplished. They dwell in liminal spaces.

What sort of Player?
I am looking for 2-3 people.

I am looking for people who are willing to post with good regularity. I am not looking for novels with each post. This is a system rp, think of it like you would at a table and how you must quickly describe what your character is doing. A sentence or two is alright in my book.

I am not looking for sexy fun times. If you want your character to have a sexual encounter, fine; but I'm not going to write out that scene.​

I hope that this will be successful, I hope there is some interest. So let's have some fun.
Let's see if you die in Character Creation.​

Different stats or professions? Stats are Strength, Dexterity, Endurance, Intelligence, Education and Social Standing.

Re-enlistment needs to be rolled, even if you don't want to because if you roll a 12 your character is forced to serve another term.

Similar; but a little different. Education is schooling, so the higher the score the more you have. Social Standing is social class. There is no score that maps to wisdom or charisma like how endurance does with constitution.

If you go scouts I'd go. Strength 7, Dexterity 5, Endurance 9, Intelligence 7, Education 5, Social Standing 5. It'd give you a +1 to get in and you'd get a +2 for your survival checks.

If you go marines I'd go. Strength 5, Dexterity 5, Endurance 7, Intelligence 5, Education 7, Social Standing 9. It doesn't give you any bonuses to get in which makes it harder to make it; but if you do it gives you bonuses to commission and promotion which would mean more skills at the end.

Are you still accepting players? Haven’t played Travelers in ages but would be interested.

Great.

How do you want to get started on character creation? I have something in mind, but know the creation process is a meatgrinder process all its own.

Are you at liberty to disclose any details or hint about the nature of our group or mission? Trying to adhere the adage 'Never bring a diplomat to a warzone.'

No idea as to the characters yet, what you see in the thread thus far is what has been established. As to missions, I'm thinking of using some of the old amber zone and CT adventures.

So thus far we have Captain leaning between Scout and Marines.

Here are my rolls from Mithril & Mages.
character die rolls.JPG

Understanding that career builds can take on a life of their own, my general idea / hope was to create some sort of Imperial Intelligence Officer who serves in an advanced strategic command -- surveying systems, gathering data about best systems to deploy into (whether naval or army). I would assume serving in the Navy would be a first step?

So for Navy the rolls are,

Enlistment, roll 8 or better on 2d6. +1 if Intelligence is 8 or better and +2 if education is 9 or better.
Survival is roll 5 or better on 2d6. +2 if intelligence is 7 or better.
Commission is 10 or better on 2d6. +1 if social standing is 9 or better.
Promotion is 8 or better on 2d6. +1 if education is 8 or better.
Re-enlistment is 6 or better on 2d6.

My best estimation of how to assign my roll numbers:

Strength 6
Dexterity 7
Endurance 6
Intelligence 11
Education 12
Social Standing 8

Enlistment, roll 8 or better on 2d6. +1 if Intelligence is 8 or better and +2 if education is 9 or better.

Enlistment Roll (2d6 +1 for intelligence +2 for education) = 7 + 1 + 2 = 10 total

Survival is roll 5 or better on 2d6. +2 if intelligence is 7 or better.

Survival Roll (2d6 +2 for intelligence) = 6 + 2 = 8 total

Commission is 10 or better on 2d6. +1 if social standing is 9 or better.

Commission Roll (2d6) = 10 total

Promotion is 8 or better on 2d6. +1 if education is 8 or better.

Promotion Roll (2d6 +1 for education) = 7 + 1 = 8 total

Re-enlistment is 6 or better on 2d6.

Re-Enlist Roll (2d6) = 9 total

Next steps?

Roll 4d6, give me each result and I'll post the skills you can pick from. Your character is also a Lt in the Navy. You can choose to exit the service at the age of 22 or go for another four year term, rolling for survival, promotion and re-enlistment again.

Sure thing -- below are my rolls.

naval skill rolls.JPG

Can you coach me on the career track I mentioned? How does one get into the strategy elements of naval command? Or, what might be the best approximation?

5, pick one of +1 Education, Blade Combat, Gunnery, or Pilot
3, pick one of +1 Endurance, Forward Observer, Electronics, or Engineering

You would need to pick skills that you feel would help with that. Of your options Gunnery and Forward Observer stand out as Gunnery is for operating ship mounted weapons and Forward Observer being a spotter for artillery. In this case artillery could be traditional weapons like cannon and mortars, or it could be orbital artillery like calling down laser strikes from an orbiting ship.

For the remaining skills, Blade Combat would be picking a melee weapon group you have training in, like polearms or swords. Pilot would be operating a space ship. Electronics is using and repairing electronic devices. Engineering is repairing space ship components like maneuver drives, power plants, jump drives.

You would need to pick skills that you feel would help with that.
Yup, understood. The aim of my question was more related to whether to reenlist or pursue a different career (such as Scout). I don’t have a resource that pairs relevant skills with careers — or, if you can point me toward one, I can reference it.

I’ll review these skill options in the morning. Thanks for your patience.

Marines, to enlist you need a 9 or better on a 2d6 roll. You get a +1 if your intelligence is 8 or greater and +2 if strength is 8 or greater.
Survival is 6 or greater on a 2d6 roll with a +2 if endurance is 8 or greater.
Commission is 9 or greater on a 2d6 roll with a +1 if education is 7 or greater.
Promotion is 9 or greater on a 2d6 roll with a +1 if Social Standing is 8 or greater.
Re-enlistment is 6 or greater on a 2d6 roll.
From the last page.

Quick question — does your edition have background skills (developed prior to 18 yrs. old) or Life Events during terms?

Roll a d6, going to see something interesting here.

This is one of the things that makes Traveller so appealing to me as what character you end up with is not necessarily the one you thought you'd start with.

There is still the chance you'll get drafted into the marines.

Back
Top Bottom