Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(Sci-Fi) Interest Check - Do you want to die in Character Creation? - Classic Traveller

Nihilistic_Impact

Brigadista
Supporter
Eye_of_Aarran - Copy.png
The title is a little tongue in cheek; but character creation for this game does have the possibility of death as it is a mini game which I have enjoyed playing solo many times. Now though I feel like I've done more than enough solo play and my in person group has not managed to meet since before Covid began and I've got an itch. I want to run some Classic Traveller.

What is Classic Traveller?
Classic Traveller refers to the first edition of the Science Fiction TTRPG, in particular I use the 77 Boxset; but for ease of providing information I'll instead be using the 81 reprint.​

What sort of Sci-Fi?
There are many Sci-Fi that inspire me, I do not expect everyone to know my references, nor is this list exhaustive and limited to just books.​

Dune by Frank Herbert
Dumarest of Terra by EC Tubb
Solar Queen by Andre Norton
Demon Prince by Jack Vance
Downbelow Station by CJ Cherryh
Miles Vorkosigan by Lois McMaster Bujold
Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
Bel Dame Apocrypha by Kameron Hurley
But my idea of a setting follows a couple precepts.
17eg5ubpx1d7mjpg.jpg
  • A distant Imperium lays claim; but distance, internal intrigues and external wars makes lie to the claim.
  • Humanity has spread to the stars in a Great Diaspora, earth is a myth.
  • Ancient alien ruins of unknown purpose litter known space waiting to be explored and exploited.
  • Alien polities vie for dominance of worlds.
  • Technology is a blend of the wonderful and mundane. Ships fly on fusion tails while lead kills a man.
  • Psionics are feared by the masses; but treated as a tool by the elites.
Like wise characters are typically those who are restless in peaceful times, resourceful and accomplished. They dwell in liminal spaces.

What sort of Player?
I am looking for 2-3 people.

I am looking for people who are willing to post with good regularity. I am not looking for novels with each post. This is a system rp, think of it like you would at a table and how you must quickly describe what your character is doing. A sentence or two is alright in my book.

I am not looking for sexy fun times. If you want your character to have a sexual encounter, fine; but I'm not going to write out that scene.​

I hope that this will be successful, I hope there is some interest. So let's have some fun.
Let's see if you die in Character Creation.​

Well, you've been drafted into the Scouts. Looks like they really liked your personnel file.

Survival, roll 7 or better on 2d6. +2 if endurance is 9 or better.
If you make it do a re-enlistment roll, roll 3 or better on 2d6.

Then roll 2d6 to see what skills you can pick from. You will automatically get Pilot for this term.

Should your character fail their survival check one of three things can happen. Your character has died and you roll new stats. Your character was wounded and dropped from the service at the age of 20 with nothing to show for it. Or try again for the Marines or some other profession with your current stats.

Overall question here. How/Where should we record these skills and stats? Is there a character sheet template or are we just tracking them on our own?

My skill selections from Track 01
5, pick one of +1 Education, Blade Combat, Gunnery, or Pilot -- +1 Gunnery
3, pick one of +1 Endurance, Forward Observer, Electronics, or Engineering -- +1 Forward Observer
3, pick one of +1 Endurance, Forward Observer, Electronics, or Engineering -- +1 Electronics
3, pick one of +1 Endurance, Forward Observer, Electronics, or Engineering -- +1 Engineering

In my edition you can't transfer to a different service.
But, if my character does not re-enlist then what are his options? Can he not join the Scout Service if he's not in the Navy?

Quick question — does your edition have background skills (developed prior to 18 yrs. old) or Life Events during terms?
Also, re-posting this question for your thoughts.

What's next, Chief?

You roll your mustering out benefits and start play, congratulations you survived character creation.

And please keep track of character information for now. I may have a character sheet somewhere, I will look when I get home.

And no, this edition does not have such skills, if you are interested in looking into it yourself I am using the 81 boxset.

You roll your mustering out benefits and start play, congratulations you survived character creation.
I like not dying ... lol. So, we're doing a single term then? Just confirming as other versions allow you to continue on subsequent tracks. I suppose I'm ready to muster out benefits, then? What are the next steps for that?

And please keep track of character information for now. I may have a character sheet somewhere, I will look when I get home.
Will do. We can possibly create a format when we start in a thread?

And no, this edition does not have such skills, if you are interested in looking into it yourself I am using the 81 boxset.
Nothing is available from my cursory research. Not a big deal, just asking.

Sorry, you can do more terms. They just need to be in the navy.

You would just repeat the survival, promotion and re-enlistment rolls again.

Automatically, if you survive, you'll get one skill roll and a second if you make your promotion check.

I can link some sources later.

Here we go with Term 02 in the Navy.

Survival is roll 5 or better on 2d6. +2 if intelligence is 7 or better.

Survival Roll (2d6 +2 for intelligence) = 4 + 2 = 6 total

Promotion is 8 or better on 2d6. +1 if education is 8 or better.

Promotion Roll (2d6 +1 for education) = 8 + 1 = 9 total

Re-enlistment is 6 or better on 2d6.

Re-Enlist Roll (2d6) = 9 total

Was worried on the survival roll -- maybe got a little too close of a plasma gun during a live-fire exercise? But, Term 02 looks like I passed unscathed.

What's up next?

Had a similar thought as I looked over the dice throws. The next step is another two skill rolls since you made your promotion check Lt. Commander.

Your character is now 26, you can muster out to adventure amongst the stars or go for another four year term.

Classic Traveller, as described by the Traveller wiki. Classic Traveller 81, can be purchased through the link for a dollar in pdf format. I've been using the soft cover and have found it rather nice. If you don't want to spend money I do know that there are copies floating around the internet for free.

((downloaded the Classic Traveller 81 PDF -- will review this evening))

Here are the two (2) skill rolls for Lt. Commander promotion.

T2_naval skill rolls.JPG

I'll look over the remaining skills available for being a Naval Officer relative to the vision I promoted earlier. Get back to you tomorrow.

Pick from:
+1 Social Standing, Gun Combat, Jack of All Trades, or Administration
+1 Intelligence, Gunnery, Engineering or Computer.

Going with ...

My skill selections from Track 02
+1 Social Standing, Gun Combat, Jack of All Trades, or Administration -- +1 Jack of All Trades
+1 Intelligence, Gunnery, Engineering or Computer -- +1 Computer

Well, you've been drafted into the Scouts. Looks like they really liked your personnel file.

Survival, roll 7 or better on 2d6. +2 if endurance is 9 or better.
1641541998543.png
Phew.

If you make it do a re-enlistment roll, roll 3 or better on 2d6.
1641542063624.png
All right, all right.

Then roll 2d6 to see what skills you can pick from. You will automatically get Pilot for this term.
1641542141065.png
You're up, Mr. GM!! :)

Your options for skills are,
+1 Education, Blade Combat, or Blade Combat

Item of note, you only have three options because you're education is a 7. If you take the +1 education it'll bring it up to 8 which allows you access to the fourth table.
If you choose to take it for your first skill it'll change the second roll options to:

+1 Education, Blade Combat, Blade Combat, or Pilot

Hey, NI. update here

Downloaded the 81 Classic Traveller rules. Confirmed no pre-term skills or Life Events.

Looking ahead and exploring the potential -- the skill sets and limited skill numbers / options ends up making the "finished" character feel a little thin. One of the stated limitations of self-improvement is that you need to already have a '0' in that skill. Learning Tactics (which for some reason the Navy does not offer?) and some sort of weapon would be ideal to acquire as they are 'jumping' to destinations ... but it's a moot point if they are not already acquired. And, did I read correctly that it takes four (4) years to potentially learn a basic skill?

So, the question is whether a Naval Tactics skill could be offered if my characters survives another term. If not, then MC is ready to Travel and he needs to muster benefits.

How is his RP background confirmed? Again, I have an idea, but did you have something in mind?

I would point out that tactics as a skill is ill defined mechanically, and to my knowledge only acts as a modifier to surprise checks for combat.

I would also point out that skills in this system don't really function the way we think of skills in a modern system. Here they are more like saving throws to get you out of a situation. You want to be a brilliant space tactician who manages supply chains across systems and putting forces in the right location while hiding behind a star. Then do it, that's on you the player.

As to weapons, players automatically start with a 0 in all weapons and do not take any penalty for using a weapon they are untrained in. I would need to read over the improvement skills some more as some require dedication checks, others a sabbatical.

Still I'm all for the classic books on tape sleep learning old sci-fi had, so if you want this skill what do you think it should do?

To the background, that's mostly how you define it. Now since I know the setting I can nudge in certain directions; but what's your idea?

Your options for skills are,

Item of note, you only have three options because you're education is a 7. If you take the +1 education it'll bring it up to 8 which allows you access to the fourth table.
If you choose to take it for your first skill it'll change the second roll options to:

+1 Education, Blade Combat, Blade Combat, or Pilot
Why Blade Combat twice? Also, I already have Pilot per one of your earlier posts, so if that's right, I will just take +1 Education and Blade Combat. If I need to roll anything I will when I get back home, I'm on mobile at the moment.

So there's four tables, Personal Development, Service Skills, Advance Education and Advance Education for those with Education 8+. And it just so happens that for the Scouts a result of 5 on... I gave you the wrong options.

For some reason I gave the service skill and advance education option of the Marines which was the two Blade Combat, though it could have been the Army list I was looking at. This is entirely on me, if you want to keep these skills that's fine. But a not just woken look at the tables tells me that the options for a 5 in the four tables are:

+1 Education, Electronics, Gunnery and Pilot

I was more tired then I thought this morning. So if you want to pick anew instead of blade combat, go for it. Or if you want to stick with it you need to select between Polearms, Swords, or Bludgeoning.

And if you want you can either go for another term and so roll survival and re-enlistment again along with two skill rolls. Or we may proceed to mustering out.

Sorry, stream of consciousness. Just going to post the tables. You rolled two fives, so pick between the first three options for a roll of five. Unless you take the +1 Education first to get access to the fourth table. In which case for your last dice pick from the four tables what roll of five you like.
skill-table.png

You still get pilot, and you can take it multiple times. So if you decided to take it again you'd have Pilot 2.

But the decision is yours.

Alright. For one term you get 1d6 dice roll on this table for Scouts. With your result pick between Benefits and Cash. If you get a 6 you can get a Scout Ship loaned to you.

Mustering table.PNG

The 50,000 credits would have allowed you to buy a gun and have credits to spare. A laser rifle and powerpack, the most expensive weapon, would only run you 5000 credits.

Back
Top Bottom