Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Lost in Space IC

Who: Theo Wheeler
Where: The Robinson’s Jupiter
Relevant: The adults

Theo was quite as he rode in the Chariot, he sat in the passenger side as he looked out into the unknown planet. If they weren't stranded here Theo might have wanted to visit this place. Still being stuck here had put changed his views on the planet. Theo wondered when they were going to be rescued, or if someone here was going to come up with a brilliant plan of getting them off the planet. In any case Theo was looking forward in returning to the Resolute, though for now they were stuck in this situation. Theo had a strange feeling that this planet wasn't safe at all.

He wondered why Dr. Smith wanted to talk to all of the adult first, whatever this reason was it seemed urgent enough to call the meeting right away. He guessed he would find that out once he arrived at the Robinson's Jupiter. He was still amazed that only three Jupiter's survived the event that caused them to be here, though he was still hoping that others had survived and could find themselves to this planet. As they arrived Theo made his way inside the Jupiter and looked around.

Theo wasn't a virgin at all, he had lost his virginity at school, he looked at the females that survived. He found himself looking at Judy and Kat, Nate's wife when he was scouting as well as Maureen, even Marcus's wife at times something that he wouldn't mention to the man after all he did save his life on the Resolute. He stood quite as he arrived inside and looked around. He decided to sit next to Maureen as he listened to her play, she played well as he decided to wait for the meeting to start. He wondered if anyone had ventured out further to scout the planet more, he had been thinking about taking a trip himself. He wanted to know what else was on the planet and then report back his findings. He was silent as he listened to everyone else speak.

Meeting Starts - Early Evening
Who: dr. Smith
Where: Robinson Jupiter
Relevant: @Motoharu (Judy Robinson)

"Yes. Something similar. We have to think of the next generations, the sooner the better, while we can still teach them our level of technology, and it is still working. But there is also another concern. Do you remember how often people could not live with whoever they choose? And what it was like trying to date? There was a lot of people you could choose from, and if it does not worked, then you could just choose another, and wouldn't have to live with the previous one... I am all for lifelong choices, but we are still human. If we keep to the family structure we started out with, we just can't make this work even medium term. What I see, there would be two choices, but living like a big family does not work without outside tribes. So, the other choice is some kind of commune, but that rarely works without strict rules. While I have faith in everyone doing their best to keep us living, the genetic problem need us to follow every lineage very strictly. There must be some incentive, so, I propose that while we have to give every female and male a pool to choose from, whoever successfully gets pregnant could open to people not in her pool. But we also have to strictly prohibit anyone with confirmed fertility to keep away from his or hers pool of people. There is another thing. For this to work, nobody can stop with just one partner. Neither can we let anyone stop with just one pregnancy either.... Fortunately we can follow nature, and give this some time... Unless you came to a different conclusion?"

After she gave the punch and the planned welcome for everyone, dr. Smith nodded towards Judy Robinson, and started.
"Welcome everyone, again. We choose to adress the people who are considered adults by our old culture first, but we have to speak with the whole colony. There are facts, and there will be different feelings and thoughts, but unfortunately not much choice. I will be blunt. We are it. While we can hope to have other colonists turn up, or to get off this moon and search the remnants in space, the only other place we can try to find a future is on the planet. And that is one way, for now. So, I ask all of you to keep an open mind, and hear out what Dr. Robinson is most concerned with about the future."

Zoe turned to Judy, smiling, but it was obvious that she just threw her to the wolves here. Not that she wouldn't help her, and dr. Smith did have some more ideas to share, but first the doc had to drop the bomb. Hopefully Catherine and Allen Stevensen would see the truth in Judy's words. If not, well, they would need some extra talking to.

June 17th, 2046

Who: Penny Robinson
Where: Stevensen Jupiter
Relevent: @Colonel_Liam (Martin) @Amante (Nate) @Motoharu (Mei) @Letrixia (Jodi)

Penny shared a conspiratorial look with Nate as they discussed disobeying the parental orders to go off 'surveying' though she could easily think of some fun indoor games to play as well. "What do you think Martin?" She asked, her hand stroking his tricep casually as she knew how effective touch could be in convincing someone, especially boys.

As Mei joined them, it was pretty clear she wasn't excited about a hike, but seemed willing to go. "I promise we won't drag you more than a mile or so." She told Mei and gave her fellow girl a big hug in greeting. Of course Mei was so cute she could easily mother her like she was her childhood doll but she left that thought to herself.

It was just seeming as they had a plan when Penny was startled by the appearance of a strange girl she hadn't met yet coming out of one of the not really standard exists of the Stevensen's Jupiter. Though Jodi seemed to be there age, she spoke much more like an adult, she did have a point about being in the dark.

"I don't know, I feel like I just escaped the adults, not sure I want to sneak back into them." She also looked at little Mei who didn't want to hike and now was looking at a mile run to get there in time.

"Do you know anything about the computer systems?" She asked Jodi who seemed pretty capable at a lot of things. "I mean, they are all wired for communications, we could just hack our way in and listen. That way if it is boring, maybe we can play some...indoor games?" She slipped her hands into the back pockets of her skirt which of course thrust her rather generous breasts forward. She had found that to be a pretty good way to convince that part of the teen population that liked boobs.

Megan O'Donnell
Relevent: The Adults

Megan kept an eye on her husband Marcus, he seemed to enjoy the punch a bit much but she didn't mind, he had worked hard and accomplished a lot. The well was a pretty big accomplishment and she was proud of him. Her pride took a small hit as he got his finger caught in one of Joan's traps. She gave a small laugh and went over to help him, and maybe tease him a bit but quietly. "Enjoy yourself, I'll drive us home." She told him, letting him know she didn't mind. As Marcus went to talk with Allen she returned to Theo since she didn't want him to feel left out. She leaned close and whispered "I'll drive home if you want to enjoy the punch." As she said it she kind of thought maybe it was silly, it wasn't like they were going to get pulled over for OVI or anything but it was just habit. It was inadvertent but her breast did rub against his elbow as she leaned close.

She then mixed among the others and watched and enjoyed the company of others and the music. She was like everyone else, waiting to hear what they had to say. Dr. Smith's explanation sort of set the stage, but left more questions than answers. She almost spoke up when Dr. Smith talked about exploring other planets, their fuel was pretty damn limited. If this moon wouldn't be their home, they had maybe one more shot at that other planet. They really needed to make things work here.

Who: Maureen Robinson

Maureen stayed occupied at the piano until Dr. Smith was ready. She gave Theo a smile as he sat on the bench next to her. "Do you play?" She asked him, noticing he was quite the stud as she occasionally brushed shoulder to shoulder as she reached for various notes. She was of course only thinking of Judy, they looked about the same age. She jokingly played Mozart's DUN, dun DUN, dun DUN dun DUN dun DUUUUN then stood to stand near Joan for the big news. She had the modeling ready for Judy if she needed help, and given Dr. Smith's finish, she thought she might.

Last edited:
Who: Nate Stevensen
Where: The Stevensen Jupiter
Who else: @LeaT (Penny) @Colonel_Liam (Martin) @Motoharu (Mei) @Letrixia (Jodi)

Nate couldn’t help but grin as he and Penny joked back and forth about shirking the adults’ instructions. He wouldn’t have necessarily minded just staying home and watching one of the many movies that was stocked on the Jupiter’s digital library... but it wasn’t just him and Penny. And he and Mei could never agree on a movie anyways.

He rolled his eyes at his sister, even on a new planet, she wanted to keep her nose in one of her books. It amazed him, though he was a bit jealous of her pure talent for study. He hoped that he could get her to enjoy the more simple, physical pursuits this new world offered; hiking, swimming, and everything else. With the air and gravity as they seemed to be, this was the perfect planet to stretch your legs on.

He was ready to go, having taken Jenny by the hand in what he’d hoped came off as a casual gesture... when to the four’s surprise they became five. He was nearly too surprised to say anything after she’d explained herself, though the suggestion to listen in on the adults was interesting.

As soon as Penny suggested ‘indoor games’ and stood the way she did... well he had to throw his lot in with hers. “If you can link the audio systems between the Jupiter’s Jodi, I don’t see why not. Looks like you don’t have to hike Mei” he teased. “Hopefully we don’t end up too bored listening to our parents” he added, giving Penny a look of mischievousness he hoped she’d pick up on.

Last edited:
Who: Kat
Where: The Robinson's Jupiter.
Relevant: @Amante (Allen)

"I didn't exactly catch any of them but I saw a few of them near the surface, about the size of a blue fin tuna," Kat explained when her husband started asking questions about the fish in the lake.
"We'll need to catch at least one first and make sure they're not poisonous before we eat them but somehow I doubt that will be an issue."
She paused and smiled as she started imagining her husband building some sort of boat and a fishing rod to catch one of those fish all on his own. She knew that fishing was one of his favourite pastimes back on earth even if all the fish in natural lakes and oceans there had been inedible. It wasn't about the food but about the catch itself.

Who: Joan
Relevant: @Colonel_Liam (Marcus),

"That's why we all have to pull together and do what we do best rather than trying to do everything on our own," Joan said and smiled.
She the agreed that getting eggs would be a great addition to their diet, even in the light of Kat's discovery there was something to be said for dietary diversity.
"Or pancakes, right? I'm sure we can find some cattle to give us milk, somewhere."
She then turned her attention Allen and mentioned that both Judy and Maureen had been busy with some sort of statistical research all day and most of the night before as well.
"Judy hasn't said anything but Maureen suggested it had to do with the future, presumably our long term future."
On that topic Joan had also started to think about a few things they'd need to discuss among the survivors, resource and labour management, and housing for instance. The Jupiters were after all not built for long term habitation. Especially not considering there were quite a few of the survivors who were not family, Dr Smith for instance, Don and Theo. Also some of the kids were old enough to live on their own. Both of the O'Donnell's sons, Judy and the others would soon follow. Not to mention how crowded things might get should either of the kids start families and have children of their own. She was fairly certain that this meeting would not be about such things though. There had been something of a dampened mood in the Robinson's Jupiter since Maureen and Judy began working on whatever it was they were working on.

Who: Dr. Judy Robinson
Relevant: Adults

For a moment, Judy's eyes widened in shock. Dr. Smith had called the meeting, so she expected her to lead it. But her shock only lasted a moment; it did not matter who lead the meeting so much as it went well. Judy cleared her throat and spoke in a loud, professional tone.

"One of the sub missions of our expedition was to start a colony that could ensure humanities long term survival, in case the worst happened on Earth. Our measures to ensure our short term survival are going well, but we need to think about future generations at the same time.

"At Dr. Smith's behest, I ran simulations on what the future generations would look like without artificial intervention. Essentially, I wanted to see what the viability of our decendants would be. Unfortunately, there was only a 1.6% chance that the 5th generation would be fit enough to survive in this environment, if nothing changed. There were two main factors that affect our long term viability. Number of pregnancies and genetic diversity.

"We came from a society where population growth stagnated, often because society was safe enough that we assumed our children would grow up healthy and because Children drained personal resources. Here the opposite is true. Ideally, we need to encourage all women to have at least 4 children, if not many more, to ensure stable population growth.

"Genetic diversity is a harder problem. We only have 3 main families here. We need to take steps to minimize incest in the long-term, which is more difficult with our small population. Incest could lead to maladaptive genes that will endanger our long term survival. I will turn this over to Dr. Smith for her proposal." Judy assumed that would be enough of an introduction for Dr. Smith to take the lead again.

Who: Mei Stevensen
Where: Outside Stevensen Jupiter
Relevant: Teens

Mei enjoyed Penny's hug, perhaps more than she should have. She was begrudgingly ready for her hike, when Jodi appeared. She listened to Jodi's suggestion attentively.

"I definitely want to hear what the adults are doing," Mei said excitedly. "It's not fair they excluded us, when we are smarter than most of the adults back on Earth."

Mei turned to Jodi. She had never met her before, but she was very cute as well. Mei walked over to her and pleaded with big eyes, "Do you think you'll be able to listen in, Jodi?"

Who: Jodi​
Where: Outside of Stevensen Jupiter
Relevant: Mei, Martin, Nate, Penny

Looking at the group she shrugs and then walks around to a nearby rock and sits on top of it. Searching her back she took out what appeared to be a tablet but with an old design and a keyboard. Placing the tablet on her lap she began typing coding on the green screen while looking from time to time to the ship. Her face turned into a grin as the cameras came out on the screen and she just began switching camera after camera until the location where the meeting was taking place was on screen. Taking out a small sound set she attached it via Bluetooth (or whatever method was there) to the tablet and finally they could both hear and see what was going on

“You stinking little brother I knew you could make it!” she smiled as she saw her brother was part of that meeting. “No doubt in my mind you would find a way into one of these ships” she was talking more to herself as she looked around the room to see what was going on. “So... let’s see what is so important you had to gather only the adults and not the kid....” she said as she raised the volume and began hearing​

Who: Marcus and Maxwell
Where: The Robinson Jupiter
Mentioned: @LeaT as Megan

When the two scientists entered the main room where everyone else was gathered, it seemed like the jovial energy of the punch, music, and other good news faded away. They hadn't said anything yet, but all of sudden you could cut the tension in the room with a butter knife. As they explained the dangers of long term genetics and the small population they had on this moon, along with the improbability of any kind of rescue, Marcus instinctively took Megan's hand in his, entwining their fingers together as he began to worry about their sons future on their new home.

At the mention of having to have more children, he smiled though. He and Megan weren't too old yet, and if there were winter months there wouldn't be too much to do to entertain themselves. Another two kids would have it's own difficulties, but he was confident they manage together. Having two grown sons would certainly be an asset in that regard. However a mention of "maladaptive genes" and the risk of incest down the road, his eyes narrowed and he glanced at his wife in confusion.

Maxwell voiced his father's concern, though more from a stance of curiosity and intrigue, rather than confusion and worry. "I think I understand the problem, but I'm confused as to what exactly are you proposing here Setting up some kind of sperm bank and cycling the female members of our colony through samples to spread the genes out as much as possible?"

Who: Martin
Where: Outside the Stevenson Jupiter
Mentioned: @LeaT Penny, @Motoharu as Mei @Letrixia as Jodi

Martin watched Jodi tinker with her portable computer with genuine interest, as he had only seen that sort of tech in older movies. He was impressed by the her getting both a video and audio feed on it. He was about to compliment her on that feat, when the audio started to come through. Not wanting to interrupt anything important, he stayed quiet. As he was taller than Penny and Mei he let them get closer to the screen and leaned over them to get a view of his own, though he was forced the put a hand on either girls shoulder to steady himself.

Hearing his older brother's pertinent question, he looked to the other young adults and asked quietly, "We don't have the spare technology for what my brother is talking about right? Have I missed something?" he asked with puzzlement before realizing what the news meant to the girls in the group. "Are they even serious about what they're saying?"

Who: Dr. Zoe Smith

*Nicely served back...* she gritted her teeth, smiling, and nodded towards Judy. "Yes... Our findings is the fact. The solution is... kind of unorthodox, but we all had to and have to leave our past behind somehow. There is a medical, and a psychological part, the first is not up to discussion, and I will be here to help with the second. Obviously we would have to know and keep tabs of not only the health of every colonist, but their genetic lines too. If we had more people and better labs, we could have more choices. But like this, there will be a list of preferable and a potentially unwanted partners for everyone from the opposite sex - yes, even if someone preferred their own, or already had chosen a lifelong partner. It is whatit is. A list of people who should make children together. I really do not want to enforce it, so for now, we leave the known possibilities in your hands. Everyone is viable at this time, and any viable pairing is encouraged, if only for unprotected sex. And of course there are pairings that should never be given an opportunity to produce offspring... This is purely the medical side, calm down. I will have nothing to do with it, Dr. Robinson would start doing the checkups, and make sure that whoever is able to would have the right medical help. But there is no equipment for in vitro fertilization at this time."

"I, of course would work with anyone who has questions about other things. There is always the possibility to form partnerships, but let me tell you, we would be all be better off even medium term if we all forget all about what our culture and faith had been telling us about choosing sexual partners. I encourage keeping your already choosen partners, purely for safety... But thinking about the family taboo, or keeping families, or even as all of us one big family unfortunately would not work, and also not really needed with no other families outside..."

"And one more thing. To make sure that there is a bigger chance of a healthy and fruitful future, we encourage spending quality time with more of the possible people, and NOT keeping to just the same age bracket. There are taboos we would have to throw out the window, and a new goal, to reach a more genetically diverse and numerous future generation. Less than ten males and females, we does not have even three dozen different offsprings possible, and a population needs around 50 individuals to prevent inbreeding depression, and 500 individuals to guard against genetic drift at-large... So everyone will have to make sure that there is at least one child with every possible partner... Hopefully for the time when they grow up and join the roster, we will have found other infusion of viable genes. But for the next ten years... If needed we WILL assign a breeding partner to start with, and reassign another one after a successfull birth or half a year...."

Relevent: @Colonel_Liam (Martin) @Amante (Nate) @Motoharu (Mei) @Letrixia (Jodi)

Penny was a bit skeptical on the eavesdropping, especially when Jodi plopped down with an ancient looking tablet. But soon they were huddling around behind the new girl as she sat on her rock giving them a fly on the wall view of the parental meeting. "Wait, which one is your brother?" She asked excitedly though had she stopped to think about there were only 2 choices and she was pretty sure Mr. West didn't have a sister. Mei being the smallest was in front and just to the side of Penny with the boys behind them, as she strained to see better she gripped the smaller girl's shoulder, pressing one breast into Mei's other shoulder. Without thinking she smelled her hair, giving her shoulders an extra squeeze of excitement. Any thought that it might be boring soon evaporated as if burning up on reentry.

Who: Megan O'Donnell

As the subject of the meeting began to come into focus, Megan made her way back to her husband, holding his hand as she worried about her boys, though her heart went out to the parents of the girls being mentioned as breeding machines. She herself wondered if she had the energy and patience for two more pregnancies, though looking to her husband she couldn't imagine a better man to make the effort.

But then it got worse. "Are you insane?" She blurted out as Dr. Smith stated existing partners won't work.

Judy was a fine doctor and there was no one Maureen would trust more with life and death decisions, but she was her little girl and Maureen couldn't leave her out there on her own, especially as the magnitude of what was being discussed began to take hold among the adults of the group. She stood from her seat, and got a glass of punch, drinking it more quickly than she might have normally done.

"I appreciate that this is an extremely unconventional solution, but consider the magnitude of the responsibility that we have not just to our children but to humanity." She then began to show the graphs of the various more 'reasonable' alternatives and how they would result in lonely deaths for their great, great grandchildren if they even got that far.

"The problem is both quantity of children and genetic make up. The only viable alternative is for each female to not only have as many children as possible, but from as many different non-relative male's as possible."

She paused and the graphs were replaced by a photo of her and Joan's two girls. "I know how hard it is to think clinically about such a personal decision for us and our children. But we didn't sign on for this just for them, but for their children and their children's children." With the destruction of the Resolute, it was the last chance.

She then challenged Megan. "How long, best case scenario to build another Resolute?"

Megan made an effort to calm herself, not having realized that she was squeezing her husband's hand to the point of being painful for her. She thought for a few moments. "All production was focused on building Jupiter's for the Resolute's return, the thought being it would make maybe five trips while earth still had the resources. If they could build one at all it would take at least 15 years. So maybe there is another chance for humanity, but there is none for us, they don't even know we are here or where here is. They won't even know the resolute didn't make for another 18 months." Tears fell from her eyes to her cheeks as she finished and hugged her husband for support.

Last edited:

Theo was watching the group as he listened, he turned towards Megan when she mentioned driving home. "That does sound good to me." He replied back to her with a smile. It was then he noticed Megan leaning in closer and her breast on his elbow. He smiled when it happened but didn't say much about it more as he grabbed himself some punch. Turning towards Maureen he shook his head when she asked him the question. "No, my roomate in the academy did though. I enjoyed the music." He told her. "How long have you been playing? You play well." He told Maureen.

He turned towards Dr. Smith and Judy when the meeting started, he was by no means a scientist or even have medical knowledge but he understood quite a bit from what Judy was saying. Still they were thinking of survival after all and what they were suggesting was a little insane, but Theo was still curious about the whole thing. Insanity was one word to call all of this. "Who's going to assign breeding partners? Who's going to make that call?" He asked, he didn't want to get into an argument but he could see that a few people were looking quite shocked about the whole situation.

Theo didn't know that his little sister survived the whole thing, though his thoughts were all over the place. Come to think of it when the Jupiter launched and he was looking out the window he did see the destruction Resolute, so bottom line they were lost and no one was coming to rescue them. They didn't even know what's on the planet either or surrounding planets, threats could come from anywhere they wouldn't know what to do until it's too late. This was a messed up situation but then again survival was the key, if not them but their generations. Theo was still confused, and shocked about the whole situation but he could see both sides.

Who: Marcus
Where: The Robinson Jupiter
Mentioned: @LeaT as Megan

If he was being honest, most of the slides and information the two Doctors presented barely registered for him. There was just so much to take in. Not only did it seem like they would have to take part in a organized breeding program, which placed a strain on everyone to begin with as far as raising more children, but it would be particularly difficult for the women of the colony. It would have been relatively fine for the married hetero couples but what would that look like for Maureen and Joan? And then of course the other families had young daughters. He couldn't imagine what was gong through Maureen's head in essentially back up Judy in delegating their sister/daughter to have 4 kids as quickly as possible when she was what... 16?

And then came the implication that not only might he be called on to have a kid with Maureen, or Joan, or one of the young women, which was a difficult hurdle, but one he could wrap his head around based on certain harsh realities of math and biology, but then Dr. Smith dropped the bomb that in this plan, Megan would have to have children with the other men on the colony.

Marcus was angry, his face was turning red with rage, and he was about to lash out. Start yelling. There had to be some other solution! Then, through the anger, he felt Megan's hand in his, squeezing tightly. He didn't fully understand all the science being presented, it wasn't his strength, but there was a look of scared resignation in Megan's eyes as she explained the realities of having lost the Resolute. If he didn't understand the science, he trusted Megan's interpretation of it, and he felt the anger and bluster pour out of him like so much hot air out of a punctured balloon.

Pulling Megan beck from the interior of the speaking circle he held her close, and whispered to her, as he wiped her tears away with his thumbs. "I know this is crazy and overwhelming , but we're going to be ok." he told her in a quite, but firm voice, doing his best to support her. " No matter what happens, I'm going to take care of you and our boys." Placing a hand on her stomach, he kissed his wife. "Anything that comes from you, I will love and protect because it's part of you. I promise." he said, and kissed her again. "I don't care what that doctor says. You're still my wife, and I'm your husband and nothing is going to change that." He rested his forehead against hers until she stopped crying, and then holding her hand in his they rejoined the group.

Clearing his throat to cover his bag of roiling mixed emotions he asked, "Alright.... how do we do this?"

Who: Allen Stevensen
Who else: MsBloom (Kat) and all the other adults

As Dr. Smith and Judy Robinson made their entrances to the room, Allen broke from Marcus and Maxwell to join Kat. As Judy gave her opening explanation, diplomatic though it was, he could feel the followup gut-punch building. The talk of long term survival, genetic maladies, generational viability... he placed an arm around his Kat, a grim, solemn expression darkening his typically jovial features as Dr. Smith delved into the true meat of the matter.

He and Kat had no children of their own. The idea of doing so often brought a warmth to his heart when it crossed him, though the rational part of his mind sometimes conflicted, and now seemed a forgone conclusion. But after him and Kat? The sort of cross-linking Dr. Smith described... this was something else entirely.

He looked around the room, to the Robinson’s and to the O’Donnels. He had no doubt as to their characters... but to do as Dr. Smith was suggesting. That alone was a moral and social mountain higher than any living person should have to scale. What of the kids? Mei and Nate were just barely on the cusp of their adulthood, there was no reason for them to be confronted with such a matter.

He held his arm firm around his wife as he began to speak, trying first to take a sip of punch but finding the fruity aroma suddenly heavy and a bit sickening. “What do you expect us to tell the children?” He asked, to nobody and everybody. He looked at the projected photo... “They’re our future and we’re to tell them they’re... what? Breeding stock? Like animals? Biological machinery?” He spoke, voice impassioned but level.

He turned to Dr. Smith now specifically, a heat rising in his collar at how clinical she had delivered the whole thing. “You’re asking us to just ‘ignore’ the ‘taboo’? To throw away what we know as human beings to be right and wrong?” He told her, not mad so much as plain flabbergasted. “I love my wife. I love my children. I stepped on board the Resolute determined to do what it took to make a better life... but this is inexcusable.” He finished, falling quiet.

Who: Nate Stevensen
Where: The Stevensen Jupiter
Who else: All the kids

Nate found himself impressed, as Jodi set up her ‘tools of the trade’ and got them front row seats to the adult’s meeting. He stood with Martin behind Penny and Mei, hand around Penny’s shoulders for support as he looked between the two girls at the screen.

It didn’t take long to realize why the meeting had been for the adults and the adults alone. As Mrs. Robinson and Dr... whoever she was, explained their findings and proposal he found his mouth had grown dry, and squeezed Penny’s shoulder in what he hoped was a reassuring gesture.

His father’s distaste, expressed for the whole thing, provided a small ray of pride to intermingle with the cocktail of emotions he was feeling. Shock, confusion, even fear were the main cohort in his mind though. “What... the... hell” he exclaimed in a hushed voice, finding no more words to add.

Relevant: everyone?

"I do understand your words and feelings." she replied to the sounds and answering stares with a well placed sigh and hand going to her face and shaking out her hair while her whole pose suggested frustration. "That is why we are giving you the facts, and wouldn't give out the suggested pairings until the physicals. Everyone will have time to think and speak about this, and my door is open to anyone wanting to ... rant? Discuss? Or just ask for help?" in reality, the robot was already working on all available data, even face recognition, but she needed more. "For this, I ask you to gather all medical history from your Jupiters, and from your memory, and share it with Dr. Robinson here when you get your, and your family's checkup in the following days. We will have the ... roster out shortly after. Unfortunately for anyone not in the ... breeding program, their assignment could be worse. So be careful if you want yourself or your young adults excluded!"

Not wanting to be the bad one or to leave them go without some kind of positivum, dr. Smith said "Now, that we dropped the bomb, I heard that there are some good news all around? Shouldn't we get the others for sharing those?"

Relevant: @LeaT (Maureen) The other adults.

When Dr Smith came out of her room to start the meeting Joan wrapped her arm around Maureen's waist as her wife stood up from the piano and came over. As soon as Jodi started speaking about genetic diversity she felt a chill run down her spine, not because of the facts her daughter was presenting but because of what they implied. There were eight females and seven males and what Judy's statistical analysis of future generations suggested was that those who already had children together were not viable as future parents under the current circumstances. It also suggested that she and Maureen would have to pair up with one of the males for the purpose of procreation.

She wrapped Maureen closer to herself and hoped that Judy would announce that they had some way of making it happen the same way she had had Penny, through IVF, but she feared that would not be possible since neither of the three Jupiters were fitted to serve as a medical facility. Those had all been blown to bits along with the Resolute. She looked around at the other couples standing together as Dr Smith began speaking to see how they reacted. If they had figured out where the meeting was headed yet.

Moments later when Dr Smith confirmed her fears Joan couldn't stop herself from letting out an indignant noise, half way between a snort and a scoff. She had gone 42 years without having had a man inside her and now this was thrown at her. No matter how much she might understand the reasons behind Dr Smith's proposal and the necessity for planned breeding among them she was still mortified, almost disgusted, by the thought.
"There goes my gold card," she whispered into her wife's ear as she leaned her head against Maureen's only for her wife to take over and start talking about the responsibility they as a group had for the future of humanity. She was of course right in everything she said but Joan didn't like the proposal anymore because of that. She was of course prepared to accept it.

Relevant: @Amante (Allen) @ChrisGabriel (Dr Smith)

Kat listened to Judy and nodded. It all made sense and when it came down to it so did Dr Smith's as shocking as the suggestion of turning them all into breeders without much choice in the matter. She at least hoped they would be allowed to choose their breeding partners and after her husband hand made his point about telling their children about this plan she held his arm tightly, partly to calm him down and partly for comfort. He was absolutely right in what he was saying, Mei was after all only 16 and Nate 17. They were far too young to start families. Then again she was only 3 years older than Nate herself and she and Allen had been taking about having at least one child of their own but as much as she loved Allen and wanted to have a child by him she hadn't seen it becoming a reality until she was closer to 25 than 20. Still the fact remained that even with genetic diversity in mind she and Allen could still have a child together. She too looked directly at Dr Smith when she spoke up about it.
"Since neither Mei nor Nate is my biological children that would mean that me and Allen can be assigned as breeding partners for at least one child then?" she asked in a somewhat annoyed and sarcastic tone in her voice.
It was not really a question though as much as a defiant statement.

Relevant: everyone present or snooping

"Katherine, right? We will take everything into account, but the main argument is not on the initial pairing itself... As we all surely would see people pair up on their own sooner or later. The hard part is making it happen earlier, and then more frequently and diverse than anyone would be comfortable with it if we was not in this situation. Personally I would not even say anything or try to instigate anything, well, except having fun occasionally, but I can't let humanity just die out here. Unless we get a strong grip right at the start, the colony could not even have any future in a hundred years."

Relevant: @ChrisGabriel (Dr Smith)

"That's my point exactly Dr Smith," Kat said now crossing her arms under her breasts.
"Allen and myself are both fertile. We are already in a sexual relationship and we do not have any children between us. That should count for something."
She looked around at the others before continuing.
"If it is frequency of sexual intercourse that worries you I can assure you that I would be more than happy to fuck my husband twice, even thrice a day."

Relevant: Dr. Smith, The adults

As Theo listened to the conversation that the group was having he couldn't help but understand the situation. When Marcus spoke he was silent as he listened, he could tell the man was angry and having some trouble coming to terms with the situation but he was willing to listen to see how this breeding plan was going to work out. Allen on the other hand seemed frustrated and Theo did feel that this was wall taboo. If they were back on Earth or even at their destination it would seem so very wrong, they were breaking a lot of laws that people had set up already, still no one was coming to rescue them and they had a handful of people already.

Theo wondered what their kids would think when they were told about what was planned, would they support it? He'd have to wait and see for himself when that bomb was dropped. Still they mentioned the robot again and Theo wondered if the robot had their best interest at heart. They knew nothing about this robot and where it came from and now they were giving the robot a lot of information about themselves. Of course Theo was going to be a part of this he didn't want to cause problems but his mind was going all over the place right now.

Theo turned to Dr. Smith. "Is there anything else you need other than medical information?" He asked as he wanted to ensure that his report was accurate. "I can have the information handed to you this afternoon." He told her. Though he was sure that everyone else was trying to wrap themselves around this twisted situation. As Theo finished speaking he drank the last of the punch in his glass. and placed it down. "I would also like to explore the area that we're in just to determine our surroundings a bit and get a better idea of exactly what's out there." He did suggest, he was open to discusion and was able to help with anything anyone needed. He would go where he was needed.

Relevant: Theo Wheeler (@apollo247), everyone present or snooping

Zoe gestured towards Judy, the more physician medical doctor. "She needs those more. But if you have anything in your mind, feel free to find me and we can discuss it. It would be better if we have the medical baselines on everyone before any of you wentured out... But I think you taking some of your options on a little expedition would be a nice start. For the sake of healthy generations, please think getting some of the older women out for the trip."

Relevant: @Amante (Allen) @apollo247 (Theo) everyone else.

Kat scoffed and completely ignored the invitation from Dr Smith to share the good news she had brought back to her husband and mentioned before the meeting started. Instead she took Allen by the hand and walked out of the Robinson's Jupiter. Not only because they both needed to cool off but also to further show her disapproval towards Dr Smith's proposal and her rather obvious reluctance to let her and Allen pair up to have a child. She did not leave entirely without a comment though.
"I've been surveying the immediate surroundings for a few days now, made some crude maps and while extending our perimeter and maps we also need to think about preserving the batteries. It's not like we have a sustainable source of power, yet."

Penny didn't recoil from Nate's squeeze but she wasn't particularly comforted by it either, not in this context. Was he trying to position himself to father a child with her? Certainly he was cute and athletic but she was no where near ready for children. Her jaw had dropped as she heard what her Aunty M had said. Her reflex was to wrap an arm around Mei's waist and pul her closer as much for her own reassurance as to offer some to Mei. The other girl was 'safe' at least in the context of her own feelings at the moment.

Who: Megan O'Donnell

Megan clung to her husband for support and as usual, he provided it. It wouldn't be the first time by a long shot that he was her anchor in the storm but this was easily the biggest storm she had ever experienced. He assured her everything would be ok. As she felt his hand over her stomach, over the womb that had carried their two boys and pledge to care for the fruit of her womb no matter what, she wanted to run away with him right there. That level of faithfulness was rare and she treasured it as much as she treasured him.

As things began to get more personal, Maureen took comfort in Joan's quip about her gold card. Though it had been a long time, Maureen at least had some memory of in person conception and could at least say she enjoyed it at the time. Her wife, having only experienced IVF and never being with a man in that sense, had to be stressed. She provided what physical comfort and support that she could and was glad they had agreed to some intimacy after the meeting, she hoped it would still be attractive to her after all this.

As things seemed like they could get more personal Maureen appreciated Kat's light hearted response even if she might still be upset with the results. "Your sense of commitment to the cause is laudable Katherine." She said to the nearly child bride of the Stevensen family, but in a light hearted tone. "Unless we decide to just give up and let the light of humanity be snuffed out so we can be more, comfortable, the facts of the matter leave us little choice. We have a duty to procreate, but it doesn't mean we stop being who we are or who we love. I can assure you first hand, there is a lot of very enjoyable intimacy that doesn't involve procreation." She laughed nervously hoping to ease the mood of the room as she smiled lovingly towards Joan.

"We can and should still be ourselves, but there will be elements of this that are more like animal husbandry, than what we think of as the birds and the bees culturally. If we decide to do it, it will have to be largely scientific. It will be hard on everyone." But then Kat went to walkout with her husband.

"Please, don't go yet." She pleaded, it could all be falling apart before it got started.

Relevant: @LeaT (Maureen) @ChrisGabriel (Dr Smith) The rest.

Kat stopped right at the main doors to the Robinson's Jupiter when Maureen asked her to not leave just yet. She turned around and looked at her and even attempted a smile.
"I understand perfectly well Maureen. This is something we have to do for the future of not only our children but their children and so on. It's just ..."
She glared at Dr Smith who hadn't even responded to her earlier argument, in favour of letting her and Allen breed with each other first before getting paired off with others, with anything but complete indifference and then turned her attention back to Maureen.
"But does it have to be at the expense of ..."
She cut herself off and took a deep breath.
"It is just a lot to process," she then said and squeezed her husband's hand tightly.
"Darling will you get me some of that punch. I could use a drink right now. And so could you."

Relevant:

Joan had moved closer to her wife after she was done with her part of the presentation. She gave her a soft kiss on the cheek and sighed as Allen Stevensen basically exploded with anger at the proposal. She could in many ways understand his reaction but regardless of what any of them thought there were no other solutions, as inhumane as the proposal was it was their only chance of securing the future of humanity. There were of course still people back on Earth waiting for the return of The Resolute to pick up another 70 Jupiters but The Resolute would not return and who even knew when the people back on Earth would realise that or how long it would take them to build another. 15 years Megan had estimated adding the year and a half it would take for them to realise it wasn't coming back to pick them up. Would there still be enough resources left to build another. It was far from certain.
"Please Allen," she said with a smile that was meant to be re-assuring but probably showed far too much of her own discomfort with the proposal to be even close.
"I understand what you are saying and I agree ... in theory ... and under any remotely normal circumstances I would never agree to anything like this but the fact is that ... well Judy and Dr Smith are right."
She took Maureen's hand and tried another smile, this time aimed at Katherine.
"At least with regards to the need for genetic diversity and urgency of us all starting to have children, our children included."
She looked over at Judy to assure her that she placed no blame on her for the radical proposal Dr Smith had made.

"How about we talk about something else for the time being," she said when Katherine seemed to have decided to not storm off.
"I have a proposal of my own pertaining to the future but I think Kat has some rather exciting news for us first. Once she's had her drink."

Meeting Begins to Break - Evening
Who: Allen
Who Else: Everyone, @MsBloom (Kat)

In spite of how absolutely insane the entire thing was, Allen couldn’t help but breach the stony facade of his facial expression with a hint of a grin as Kat told Dr. Smith just what she thought about their “frequency of intercourse”. At least they were on the same page.

He let her hand go, only to cross to the punch bowl and pour a second cup. He returned to her at the front door of the Jupiter, and handed her the cup. He touched his own to here in a mock toast, and tipped it back until there was nothing left. He waited for her to do the same. “I’ll have to disagree... there’s nothing left to discuss” he told them, voice tinged with a certain finality. He took his wife’s hand in his again, and led them out to their Chariot.

He took the drivers seat this time, one hand on the wheel, the other on his wife’s thigh, as if that gesture alone could protect her from everything that was going on. As they rolled over the terrain, halfway home, he finally felt himself relax some, the choking tightness in his chest easing. “So... three times a day huh?” He said to her, raising an eyebrow in an attempt to put the discomfort of the meeting behind them.

Who: Dr. Judy Robinson

As the Stevensen's stormed out, Judy thought to herself that this could have gone better. St least most if the adults seemed on board. Judy decided this would be a good time to bring the meeting to a close and let everyone reflect on their own.

"I think we have done our best to explain the situation. Our computers are going to run multiple possibilities and give us a list of optimal pairings based on the data we gather. This will take out the human element, and even I myself will have no influence on who my partner is. Once we have the list of pairings, we can return and have a final discussion and vote on this plan. While I think this is the Only way to ensure humanities long term survival, I understand if we together decide to take the more selfish option. In the meantime think about the pros and cons of this approach I will stay after, and answer additional questions.

Who: Mei Stevensen
Where: Outside Stevensen Jupiter
Relevant: Teens

Mei would have normally enjoyed the feeling of Penny hugging her from behind, but she was too busy being furious. "That's bullshit! No way those adults are going to tell me to fuck some random guy. That's basically rape. What gives them the fucking right!" Mei turned around and gave Penny a full hug, distressed by everything.

"The rest of you agree with me, right?" Said Mei with a pleading look.

Who: Martin
Where: Outside the Stevenson Jupiter
Relevant: Young Adults

Listening to their parents and siblings talk about breeding partners, populations projections, and argue over who should be allowed to breed with who and when, Martin's brain was on fire. He could feel Penny, Mei, and Nate all tensing up around each other, and though he was off balance he removed his hands from Mei and Penny's shoulders. He couldn't imagine what they were thinking in this moment. He wasn't even sure what was running through his own brain. The newcomer, Jodi for her part seemed excited by something else that was going on the screen, though what it was, he wasn't sure. He thought he had heard her say "brother" but it was hard to be certain.

He looked at Penny, "Is your sister serious? Or does she just like to pull big practical jokes?" he said, partially trying to lighten the mood among the group, but also kind of hoping it was just that a joke. The Stevenson's certainly didn't seem to think it was funny, and he turned his attention to Mei and Nate, "Well it seems like your parents aren't going to fold as quickly as my old man did..."

Who: Marcus and Maxwell
Where: the Robinson Jupiter

Maxwell watched the Stevenson's storm out. He could understand their anger at the situation, but as a single, virile male he actually wasn't entirely opposed to the idea. After all it wasn't exactly like there was an active dating scene on the planet. In lieu of that, what amounted to basically casual unprotected sex, with join responsibility among the whole community for the childrens's welfare didn't seem that bad for him personally. As such watching Kat leave without agreeing to the idea was a bit of a dissappointment, and he did his best to hide the grin on his face as he considered that based on her personality, it was likely Mr. Stevenson was likely to get that promised "fuck two or three times a day" for the immediate future.

Marcus continued to hold Megan's hand, as the last of the information was given, that they would need to submit whatever medical data they had for analysis as as soon as possible. Without Allen he felt even more out of place. It certainly seemed like the women in the room, in particular the Robinson matriarchs and Judy were really calling the shots. Part of him wished Megan had led him out of the ship like Kat and Allen, but as someone who valued his family, even the hypothetical future generations, that fork in the road had passed long ago.

When the presentation was done, he let out a sigh of relief. Looking to Joan he tried to rouse a smile and asked, "What was it you wanted to report? I think if there isn't much more bussiness I want to head home and... process this evening."

Back
Top Bottom