Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Disconnected (1x1 w/DarkMudkip)

She could hear the soft echoes of the children, laughing and having fun as Kojurou entertained them. This was it, this was her freedom.

She rested her forehead against her knees, the sound making her chest ache with a deep pain she had never felt before. It was confusing, the sound was... wonderful, something she hadn’t heard except for in her dreams, so why did it hurt so badly? She had more than she ever had, more than she could ever want, but she didn’t know what to do with it.

Megohime picked her head up, not having heard him enter, quickly wiping away her tears. “Yeah.” She said, clearing her throat. She looked away for a moment, then looked back at him. “What does that mean.. that name, apostle..?”

Her cheeks flushed, and she stared at him for a moment. “You hardly know me.. How could you hold me so close already..?”

It felt like a knife in her heart, his words were too kind, gave her too much credit. She lowered her gaze again. “You... don’t know the the things that I’ve done.. I’ve done awful things..”

"I'm sure no one is truly free of sin. The difference is how it molds you as a person. I see whatever terrible deeds you've done weigh heavy on you. I would be more concerned if they didn't." He said.

He heard a soft laugh, Megohime unable to stop the smile that came to her; how could his words soothe her so easily? She believed every word he said, felt them resonate within her. “So you’re saying I’m at least not all bad?” She let out a soft sniffle as she wiped her eyes again. “Are you sure you’re not just optimistic..?” She asked, a hint of teasing in her tone.

His smile made her heart jump, ears burning hot. He sounded so knowledgable, sharp as a whip, all she knew was killing. “Did you learn that the hard way, or have you just seen it first hand?”

“I thought you had to be grey to be wise.” She joked, showing that she was starting to become comfortable with him.

“Millennia..!” She laughed, red eyes growing soft. “You say that as though you’re only in your teenage years!”

Megohime got a thoughtful look on her face, then shook her head. “Late-teens, maybe?” She scratched the back of her neck. “I’m not really a good judge of age though, so don’t take my word for it.”

Morning came before Akihime realized it, the sun filtering in through the fabric curtains across the room. She had fallen asleep with Ren in her bed, Ren finding comfort in no longer sleeping in a bed alone. The older woman was awake already, still holding Akihime to her chest, the two under the soft silk sheets.

She had hoped it was a nightmare, and she would wake up in the lab, but at least she had a friend now. She held onto Ren tight and nuzzled into her chest.
"Thank you for staying with me..." She muttered weakly.

Ren’s eyes were red and puffy, like she too had been crying, but she only smiled softly and pet Akihime’s head. “It’s nice to have someone.. even if it’s here in hell..”

She nodded, giving her shoulder a little squeeze. “Genzo is gone for most of today.. it should be just us..” She said softly. “It’s nice to meet you, Akihime.. I only wish we could’ve met under better circumstances.”

Back
Top Bottom