Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Disconnected (1x1 w/DarkMudkip)

Megohime stood beside Kojurou in just the cotton shirt and shorts she wore in the lab, no shoes on to allow her legs to transform without issue. She had long black hair pulled back into a loose ponytail, fingers and toes black as pitch. She looked at Masamune, never seeing someone like him before, not alive anyway. “Why do you do this? Free us like you did?”

Masamune blinked curiously, "Why? Well, why not? Why should your purpose be to fight and die? Why not be allowed to live and grow? To feel and experience all that we have made for you?" He asked, "Why let what some dumb humans want dictate your life? Yeah, they made you, but you have free will. Use it."

Megohime flinched at his words, she had never heard such things out of anyone’s mouth, even the ones who didn’t want to fight either. Her own feelings mirrored how she was raised; if she wasn’t fighting, she was wasting air. She didn’t want to fight mans wars, but it was what she was bred for, what she was raised for, could she do anything else? “I don’t... know how I could contribute if I’m not fighting.” She admitted.

"We need more guardians, Masamune-sama. Perhaps she could keep watch of the children? Teach them to defend themselves?" Kojurou offered.

Kids? Jeez this wasn’t going to be easy, but if she was able to work off her payment she’d take it. It was overwhelming though, not thirty minutes ago, she was strapped to a table in a lab, and now, she was free, standing with a real god. “I‘ll do what I can, I’ll pull my weight to stay here!” Her face flushed. How embarrassing, blurring out like that, but how could she not be overwhelmed and nervous? This was her first day outside in the twenty years she was alive. Holding normal conversations wasn’t exactly her strong suit, it wasn’t important for fighting.

Masamune chuckled softly, "Relax, you're fine. You don't have to see it that way, but if it makes transitioning easier, then cool. Just get settled first, then we'll work out how you can help out around here, ok?"

Megohime’s face was as red as a tomato, nodding and swallowing what emotions she could. She was overjoyed, she was free, in mere minutes her biggest dream had come true. “Got it.. Um, do you have any food..?” She was starving.

"Of course, right this way." Kojurou said and headed off. He was like a butler, really. Just a nanny for a bunch of second gens and a bored God.

Megohime followed after him, giving Masamune a final glance before the turned down another smaller tunnel, more of a hallway really. “How many are here already?”

Kojurou hummed as he thought, "Over a dozen? A lot of them can't fly on their own, so we house them until they're old enough to make their own choices.."

“Children huh..?” She muttered, following Kojurou closely. “And you’re human.. why help us? Why’re you here..?” She glanced up at the tall man, studying what she could of his face.

"My family has always been old fashioned and traditional. We have worshipped Masamune-sama exclusively for centuries. I have never once believed that abusing what he and the other Gods have made for us was best for humans. We have what we have because the Gods felt us worthy, taking advantage of that kindness is wrong." He answered.

Megohime felt a twinge or envy. “Too bad more of you humans don’t feel that way..” She muttered, almost to herself. “But why save us second gens? All I’ve heard is that the Originals despise us for our existence.”

Megohime felt tears burn her eyes, feeling confused and conflicted, this was nothing like she was taught. The world outside the lab was disgusting, a horrible place where no one wanted her and where she didn’t belong. “Thank you.. it’s... nice to hear that..”

"Oh, no need to thank me." He smiled down at her, "They aren't my words."
"Katakura-oji!" A handful of children rushed to Kojurou as he and Megohime entered the farthest room in the cavern. They all hugged him as best as they could, causing him to chuckle affectionately.
"Ohayo. I'm sorry I was gone for so long." He apologized. They all looked thrilled to see him before all their little eyes landed on Megohime in awe.
"Who's she...?" One asked softly.
"She's so pretty...!"
"Are you a Old One, too?"

Megohime tensed up as their eyes shifted to her, having not seen children since she was one herself. “O-Oh, um, no.. I’m from a lab..” She stumbled over her words, not knowing which child to look at, if at any. Was she supposed to train these children..? Her stomach threatened to upheave what little was inside it, which would’ve been only stomach acid. Would she be responsible for their deaths as well? She paled, covering her mouth with one hand. “I’m sorry.” She muttered, turning and hurrying back the way she came from. She could only see the blank stares of the dead children she had taken the lives from, only being a child herself at the time.

Megohime hadn’t gone far, crouched in the hallway not far outside the room, hand still over her mouth. She looked like she had seen a ghost, skin pale and clammy, flinching when Kojurou came out of the room. “I can’t teach them... I can’t teach them how to die, how to kill- I won’t..!” She said softly. This wasn’t what she wanted, she didn’t want to see another child laying lifeless on the ground, not due to her actions.

Kojurou stood by her and frowned, "I'm sorry, that isn't what we wanted from you at all. I assumed that basic self defense would be fine, but if the aspect is too disturbing for you, we will manage in other ways.." He told her gently.

Megohime felt so useless, why couldn’t she just shove down these feelings? She was just going to drag down these people.

”These deaths are on you, Test Subject 36, remember this feeling well.”
She had been raised along side them, ate with them and trained with them, and now they lay cold on the floor, some in pieces.
“You’re meant for war, designed to kill, that is your only task in life.”

She shook her head and swallowed hard. “I’m sorry, I can teach them that.. I’ll do it, I can do it..”

"We won't throw you into it. Take your time, it's alright." He told her soothingly, "We won't make you do anything you don't wish to do."

Megohime nodded. “I just think I’m a little overwhelmed..” She muttered, wiping the sweat from her forehead then standing.

She nodded, and after Kojurou got her some food, and settled into an empty room, she sat on the bed. The room was only lit with a flame lantern, but she didn’t mind, she could still see well enough- couldn’t sleep anyway. She sat with her knees hugged to her chest, watching the flickering light on the wall, listening to the faint chatter somewhere else in the cave.

Back
Top Bottom