Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Into the Unknown (Fantasy/NSFW) OOC

There are certain ways to find out things like THAT...it might just be more than she can handle. (Puns intended)

Information he wouldn't have access too - for the stated reasons - so he just dug his own grave.

Maybe. The description of the world as they knew it was interpreted to mean that it was somewhat common knowledge, so we'll see how Will tries to talk himself out of a gutting. I'm quite certain it will be worked out in the end, though it could give our characters some delightful misgivings about each other, and add to the dynamics of the team.

I love these dramatic scenes; the ones that made your throat clench in RL and those adrenaline glands kick in!

I'm wrapping up another message, then I'll be able to reply.

Common knowledge? Not really. Its the end of the Empire, a secluded corner. A certain individual has pushed for its further exploration, but the common man in the area would know that there is a Sea of Grass and 'that crazy guy' set up an Outpost on its other side, which the Guild has (essentially) taken over using the name of the Empire to do so. Nothing worth exploring in the Sea of Grass and only an idiot would go beyond the Outpost.

Certainly no maps - thats why the Cartographer is alone, so that it can be better documented and the bigger picture can be drawn up. The linguist too, as she has a better chance of learning another language than anyone else should they encounter other people. The Herbalist/Healer can help discover new plants and determine which ones are safe - they're going to have to live off the land, so don't want to eat something that poisons them. Red is...well, Red. Will can hunt and will be expected to plot them an 'easy' path through challenging terrain when they encounter it, be the point man while Holger deals with being a leader and is otherwise preoccupied.There are going to be quite a few...surprises moving forward so will be interesting to see how the characters react.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

It'll be really hard for Will, but I'll come up with something. :)

Hey, Poppa Bear, if it's okay with you, I'd like Sabina to continue trying out different languages on Red. His response made me laugh out loud when I read it, and she's the type of character who needs a puzzle to solve. Now, please don't have him eat her for dinner if he gets annoyed by her. ;-)

I'll write up a Lore post tomorrow (not sure I can still edit the OP in this thread) so share some 'common knowledge' type of things.

I've updated the first post in this thread with some information and may add more later.

I'll be posting later today -- Still trying to visualize the world as described. Should we toss out all other references and answers to world-building questions and use the OOC description as basis for what our characters know?

Regarding character histories; I had originally envisioned Will as having traveled with both the military as a scout, and as a free-lancer. Shall I assume that the character Grimsson is assuming that Will has never been to the Outpost, or shall I take it as a fact that the character Will Riot has never been there?

It's a little difficult for me to filter out what we know OOC and what the characters should know. :confused:

I don't think I've contradicted myself with my answers?

No one has been to the Outpost. Its the butthole of the butthole of the butthole of the Empire. New Haven is only relevant in the eyes of the Empire due to expansion, the Outpost is so new that it wasn't even founded by them, but an enterprising fellow who thinks there is more to the Sea of Grass. Anyone worth half a damn would have spent time on the West Coast, the Southern or Eastern Borders of the Empire if they were freelancing or in the Legion.

EDIT: I'll also PM specific people over specific....actions? Like, learning a new language or some such, that the rest of the party won't be privy too. There is a planned scene coming up where a certain person will speak in a foreign language, but only one person in our party will understand it.

Last edited:
Here's the question that I needed to have an answer to in my previous post ~ Should we toss out all other references and answers to world-building questions and use the OOC description as basis for what our characters know?

Note: I am seeking to understand and interact with the sandbox, not to start anything obnoxious.

Example one of items that are confusing ~
In the group PM, you stated to the question:
Is there primarily one language here (that they know of)? Empire/Common Tongue is what they speak. Nothing is known or if there are other tribes.

In the OOC you stated:
Common/Imperial is the designated language everyone must speak, but with a vast array of conquered peoples, there are many dialects and other languages spoken within the Empire. In certain regions, Imperial is not even the dominant or most spoken language. The area our party is in, however, is Imperial-dominated.

I interpreted the first answer to mean that there are no other languages known to our group or any that are 'known of'. The second answer indicates that there are a variety of languages, and the characters might be able to use them.

Second item for comparison:
In the RP Thread opening post, the Outpost is described as a place where a 'base of operations' occurs. This gave me the impression that supply ran out there on occasion. I also got the impression that if the 'common man' could know that a crazy guy set up an Outpost, there might be things known by people who have traveled back and forth to keep that path through the grass worn down. Grass grows quickly.

In the post above, you state that "No one has been to the Outpost." But obviously, 'someone' has had to have gone to the Outpost. They need supplies. There may be a person or two who came back from that expedition and told people about it, since the common man could know that a crazy guy went out there and set it up.

Third item for comparison:
You stated in your reply in the OOC:
Certainly no maps - thats why the Cartographer is alone, so that it can be better documented and the bigger picture can be drawn up.

In the opening post of the Main Thread you state (underline mine):
New Haven - backwater town on the North Eastern fringes of the Empire. A place not marked on most maps because it was worthless.

Are there 'no maps' or are there maps?

~These are just a sample of the reasons I am confused. In RL I deal with a lot of contracts and official documents that have to be consistent, so any semblance of contradictions throws me off as a red flag for editing. One reason I responded to the Group RP Interest Check is that you said in your general RP Request thread that you are a "stickler for uniformity".

Question: Should we omit all the previous information you have supplied, and use the first post in the
Group OOC Thread as the basis for what the characters know about the world?

Also note: I'll have to work on my reply to the RP Thread later today, but I am planning to respond and help move along the story.

Languages - in the PM, I think people were generally asking about the 'New Lands' area, so I was just trying to state that while our people speak Imperial/Common, nothing is known about what the New Lands may hold, or if anyone would be able to communicate with any Tribes found. I was addressing if people would be able to communicate to anyone found in the 'New Lands' area, to which the answer is no - no one knows what if any languages are spoken or if their are people out there.

Outpost - 'No one' refers to our group. No one would in our group would have any knowledge on the Outpost outside of what has been 'briefed'. The worn path is from the stated 'supply' moving back and forth to outfit, supply, and build up the outpost now that the Guild has an interest in it. Horses and pack horses would have mostly worn down the pathway, along with grazing along the way.

Maps - Maps of the empire exist, of course. The Guild want one of their own to document the paths taken and 'paint a picture' for them. New Haven is not important to anyone outside of those who live there. I am sure the Guild has a map (or two) of every known village, past and present, but maps are expensive and hard to come by unless you're wealthy. No one is going to spend the time updating a map to include a town if its not relevant to them. What the Guild knows and what the 'common folk' know are two different things. Your commoner probably has never seen a map in their life, but can direct you to 'xxx' out of memory.

====

What I'm trying to pass on, is that prior to this expedition, no one in this group would have had cause to visit New Haven, or set foot in the Outpost. Yes, a non-Guild person spent the time and effort to cross the Sea of Grass and establish a 'camp' on the other side, which the Guild has now taken over as its in their best interests to control the flow of information and people. Due to the scarcity of resources in the Sea of Grass, and where the Outpost has been set up, a continual flow of food and items has been sent. This is to ensure the Outpost remains manned and in the Guilds Control. They want to be the sole benefactor to any sort of 'gold rush' should resources of worth be discovered. Establishing the 'first everything' along the route and its way stations will ensure they control everything associated with it. We can assume that they would have big plans for New Haven should it become relevant overnight.

I have to deal with curve-balls people throw in their posts, while trying not to restrict peoples characters and skills/knowledge. RE: your character talking about the 'terrain' around the Outpost where I as a GM have not described to anyone, with any detail, what the lay of the land around the Outpost is, and what was described does not 'fit' with the way it exists or the 'direction' the Expedition is going to take. (Thus my statement about future PMs regarding what your individual character, based on their skillset, may see/notice that the other characters will not pick up on. The Linguist and Cartographer may see a 'paw print of some animal' while your Scout, who has more knowledge on such things than them, will be able to tell its a 'Wolf, but far bigger than any in the Lowlands' sort of thing.) Its the best way I can make it work with out running a D&D/Dice/Stat based sort of thing which would is out of the question.

I'll go all world building and GM'y here and write a detailed 'Fact' Sheet to clear things up. We'll go off the OOC Post in this thread for world information and I will update it as things are 'discovered'. I am trying to keep in my mind while I am well versed in my 'world' you are all first time visitors.

Excellent! Thank you for the clarification. GMing is a huge task; your time is appreciated.

Hopping back to the RL in a moment. Looking forward to writing soon. (y) :)

Apparently it was my turn to have the 'new post' notifications abandon me. I'm getting caught up and should have my post up before I retire for the evening.

Anything I should add to the first post in this thread? I've re-written it a few times over, so not sure what I'm missing.

It's pretty complete. A map would be awesome, but that's the point of the RP - to map and learn the world, right?

The empire is a vast area of conquered peoples, and all of the empire is surrounded by the Sea of Grass. The direction the party is heading is eastward, and the Outpost location is undiscovered and expected to open up conquests towards the North?

Since the Outpost location is listed as undiscovered should we assume that only Empire soldiers have brought supplies to the site? All others (our party) have only traveled within the Empire and New Haven.

No.

The Sea of Grass forms part of the Northern Border and curves around southwards (think the top right corner of a box - it wraps around that part) forming part of the Eastern Border. Other natural elements form the rest of the Northern and Eastern Borders

Back
Top Bottom