Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Urban Sphinx (w Rain K)

Angie rolled her eyes. "What I'm saying is 80% of this is hers. We split the other 20%. And of course you should get more since you did all the work." She unhooked her fly from the padlock. She then looked at KC. "Pirates? In Colorado?" She scoffed. "Hardly. With the proximity of the lake to the town, a better guess could be history of the town's founding. The cold water of the lake would serve to protect the contents provided there were no leaks."

Catra knew what Zara meant... Partially. "Pandora's box has already been open. And it was a BOX, Zara, not a chest. Maybe it's The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo!" She wiggled fingers eerily.

Angie tutted. "Will you girls be real for a minute?! I told you the most likely prospect and why." She nodded to the picnic table as Polly came down. "We'll have lunch after opening this. My curiosity is through the roof right now."

She pulled out a hair barrette out of her golden locks and started picking, springing the tumblers of the old lock, whose spring must have been broken as it bounced a few times in the sand. She took a breath and opened the lid. Her eyes grew huge. "Thousands of coins! Maybe millions! It's full near to the top! You're rich, Catra! Probably not as rich as Zara..." She picked up a silver coin to look at it. "Comparable to me, though..." She said wide eyes. "This is a 1757 silver crown!" She practically fell into a seated position and looked at other coins. "There all 1700s, and British currency! Pence, shillings... You name it. You might be as rich as Zara! Even with your 80%! This proves it was from the founders... One, if not all three families!"

A sample of what's in the chest.

Screenshot_20200914-045311.png

Zara chuckled and shrugged as she leaned over the rest of the girls watching "I mean that's what the myths say Kitty Catra. But the myths also say there's only one sphinx, well depending on whose myths your reading." She chuckled a bit more as she continued to watch the heiress strain herself to try and keep cool. After a few moments of fiddling the lid fell open and revealed a massive amount of coins "Damn" She raised both brows as she looked them over "Well that is if some founder's family doesn't try to claim heritage rights or something."

KC rolled her eyes at Angies comment "I mean Vikings would settle inland once they conquered an area whose to say some pirates didn't try the same thing." She smirked crossing her arms before turning her attention back to the chest. As she watched the coins came into view and her eyes filled her head "Holy wow that's a lot of money to just casually toss into a lake."

Angie slowly closed the lid. "One third of this is Howerton. As far as I'm concerned, 90% of the law and all. Whose pole was it attached to? As one of those families, and the heiress to all the Howertons have... I'd pass on my "rightful" third of this. Catra can have it. As for the Littles and the Chatfields... Neither have tried looking for it before now. It's been over 200 years. I'm pretty sure the statute of limitations is long passed."

She went over to the picnic table and got into the deli meat, after grabbing a strawberry soda for her beverage. Using the whole grain bread, mustard, and one slice each of the sharp cheddar and Velveeta (one on each slice), she put two slices of the soft meat on it, and took a bite. She gave a happy hum of satisfaction.

"So what meat is that?" Polly asked as Lila came over.

"Braunsweiger." Angie answered, taking another bite. "Needs onion. Oh well, live and learn."

"Ewww... Liverwurst??!!" Lila turned up her nose and went with the ham leaving the turkey the only nonopened one.

Angie gave Lila a glare. "Not liverwurst... Braunsweiger. The first is the same stuff pate is made of. I don't even like goose liver."

Polly went for the braunsweiger for her sandwich, making hers the same way.

Catra asked if she could have one slice of each, to which Angie replied, "That's what it's here for... To be eaten up."

Zara shrugged not really phased by the sudden appearance of treasure having been to several tombs over the years. She nodded at Angies answer then seeing as she was the only one able to lift the thing grabbed the chest and hauled it over to where lunch was set up. Setting it back down she went about making her a triple-decker sandwich with the different meats "Again with the richie rich food but at least this is meat and we'll see how it tastes." She chuckled and winked at her before snagging a drink and setting down to eat

KC continued to stare at the coins taking in the site of them all before snapping out of it when the lid was closed. Glancing around she blushed some and made her way over to the others following after Zara. Moving around she made a simple turkey sandwich and grabbed a drink before sitting down next to Polly.
"If Catras catch is some sort of omen I don't think you guys are having fish for dinner hehe."

"Poor man's pate." Angie teased, watching Zara make her triple decker with a raised eyebrow and smirk. "Would you like an olive and toothpick to top that off? I believe there is a jar of stuffed green olives in the RV, somewhere."

Polly scooted an inch or two over to make room for KC. "Don't want to try something different? I've seen braunsweiger in the rolls before, but never tried it. Decided to be adventurous today. Not bad. Think it might be an acquired taste, though, and I'm just okay with it."

Catra moved over just enough so Zara could sit with her as well. Meaning it for Zara's ears only, although a few (but not Angie who took her sandwich over to her pole site), "I think Angie might be right about the statute part. But, I mean, sure there's a lot there, but no way is that millions. First, they're British dollars and under; and second... Well... They're British and this is America. It takes almost a dollar and a half of theirs to make a dollar of ours." She wasn't factoring in age and condition.

(Catra has it backwards. For every pound, she'll get $1.29. She's thinking every pound 29 pence is a dollar.)

Zara chuckled and rolled her eyes as she settled down next to Catra "Olives are gross princess." She shook her head and started to eat but made sure to listen to whatever Catra was telling her. After a moment she sat back and thought about it "Mmm I think she's closer than you think because you gotta factor in the age of the coins not to mention what they're made of. I mean most seem like silver but I think I saw some gold in there." She shrugged and kissed her cheek "Either way you're gonna get a decent amount of money."

KC smiled and settled down next to Polly before beginning on her sandwich. "Mmm nah I ain't above trying new things just not strange meats. Especially after the girl I'm umm dating says its weird hehe." She chuckled and shrugged before turning back to her meal

"Copper and bronze, too. The few guineas I saw are the gold, and the majority of those were silver." Polly commented, flatly. "Most those exchange places want every denomination separated prior to bringing them in. That's going to be a lot of work."

Catra sighed. "That's going to be fun. You have halfpence, pence, two pence, shilling, half-crown, crown or pound, and the guinea. That I know of." She then shrugged. "For some reason, still done today, is that the pound sterling refers to the paper money. The coins are just pounds or crowns."

Zara stretched some as she glanced down at Catra "I mean you really don't have to count it all. No bank is gonna accept old ass money like that. No, what you do is contact either the news station or a local museum and tell them what you found. Then more than likely you still get paid but they do all the heavy lifting. Worked for us when we wanted to sell some of the artifacts we had." She smiled at her before turning back to her sandwich

KC looked at Polly with an eyebrow raised as the girl talked about all the old coins.
"What the heck Zara I understand because her family rolls around in the stuff by why do all of you guys know so much about old money. I mean seriously."

Polly just smirked and said two words. "Sherlock Holmes."

Catra gave a facepalm. "Never mind the fact we learned about different denominations of currency, old and new, foreign and domestic in Economics class?"

Lila couldn't help but giggle as Polly said, "Well, yeah... There's that, too."

Angie raised an eyebrow as she looked over to the table. "You mean... You had to learn all that in school? I learned that history at home. Zara probably did, too."

Somebody forgot that not everyone at the table came from affluent families.

KC shook her head as she listened to the other girls "I mean sure economics teaches you about money. But come on there's no way they would teach you about money from 300 years ago at least that has no play in today's society. You guys are just weird I know it." She shook her head as she turned back to her lunch as well so she could finish it off.

Zara shrugged as she leaned back into her spot enjoying the lunch
"Mmm I don't know the differences between coins just how to pick out the shiny bits that are actual metal." She chuckled and winked at Catra "So I can tell you the difference between gold and bronze but not much more than that." She chuckled and shrugged

Catra looked between both of them. "First semester. History of currency. We're learning right now about all those kinds of coins archeologists dig up. From like ancient times."

Lila glanced at Catra. "That's not in my Economics. Now, the stuff like in your chest... Yes. European currencies, but we're not really going in detail. Broad strokes."

Polly glared at Lila. "The hell he isn't going into detail! And some of the currency seems to be piratical. Doubloons and pieces of eight. That's pirate. And ingots and stuff like were the first forms of currency. Try carrying a few of those around in your tunic, he said."

Lila slapped the table, jumped up and the two old friends were in each other's faces arguing over whether it was in detail. (It was. Lila sleeps through most of the class)

Catra shook her head. "They apparently don't know what detail is. My Economics teacher is going into how to tell the denominations made of the same material and about the same size, apart. And it's a she, not a he."

Angie came over. "Now, that's interesting. Are you sure you're in an Economics class and not a History of Commerce one, then, Kit Kat?" She gave KC a flirty wink, as she asided to her, "Huh-yooouujj difference. Astronomical even."

Catra paused and thought about it. "I'mma have to check my schedule..."

Zara glanced up at the other girls and rolled her eyes before she stood up and grabbed the pair of them holding them an arms-length apart. "You two are very noisy and it was a very nice day." She huffed and moved over to the lake still holding the pair and threatening to drop them into the water. "Chill out or get chilled out either way it makes my life quieter haha." She smirked watching the pair clearly enjoying the predicament.

KC shook her head as she watched the three and listened to what they were saying.
"Ya know that's still weird and Catra why does your school have a class like that what is the point." She shook her head utterly confused by this other school when Angie stepped into the fray and started asking questions.

Angie seemed to get where KC was going. "What grade are you in, Kit Kat?"

"Eleventh."

Angie smirked at KC. "There's your answer. Plain as the nose on any of our faces. She's in an introductory college course. Told you there was an astronomical difference between the two. And KC, really. I'm surprised at you. Our economics classes are the same way. Introduction to currency the first few weeks... Then we learn the different names... Luckily a good amount of Europe is the Euro." She then seemed more interested in the two dragged off by Zara to the lakefront.

"That's because you sleep through the class most the time, Lila! I keep telling you... Go to bed earlier." Polly said, more calm.

Lila went off on that, practically daring Zara by action just to throw her in. It just might cool her off... Polly ignoring Lila, just made her madder.

KC raised a brow at Angies' question and then nodded her head at the answer "Ok yeah that makes more sense. And yea I know ours teaches about other coins but it doesn't go into old ones like those. Thats all I'm saying." She chuckled and turned to watch the show happening by the water "Oooh my monies on Lila getting tossed the farthest."

Zara rolled her eyes and gave them both a shake before "I warned you." and with that she swung them back and then forward letting go at the best time and sending the pair of girls flying out over the water. She smirked as she watched turning around to rejoin the others girls as soon as the others hit the water. She was going for the cool guy walking away from an explosion.

Polly had a complaint "Why am I going iiiiiiinnnnn?!"

Lila definitely got more air... She had a few choice words for Zara before she hit. Polly was already swimming back in, when Lila hit somewhere behind her.

Angie folded her arms again. "Really, Zara... Polly seemed to calm down... It was only Lila verbally going off. Polly was ignoring her. And I thought I had a temper." Then to KC. "I almost took that bet. But you were right. She got more air, definitely."

Catra just sighed.

Zara chuckled and shrugged as she stepped back up to the other girls "Well she instigated it and while she wasn't arguing anymore she knew that ignoring Lila would antagonize her just as much. So into the drink, they both went." She smirked only to raise a brow at her next comment "Well if it helps I did try to skip them, but they flailed to much." She laughed and shook her head before kissing Catras cheek and settling back down where she had been sitting earlier.

KC giggled as she watched then turned to Angie and gave her a shrug
"Damn I was so close." She giggled a bit more before moving down the hill to the edge of the water. She smiled and held out her hand to Polly as she got close. "I think you got a little wet there friend hehe."

Catra had pulled out her phone and was looking at her KDVR weather app, with FOX31 prominently displayed. She smiled sullen. "Temperature 51, sunny. That lake's gotta be 40s. Hypothermia extremely possible." She said it almost accusingly, without even looking over.

Polly didn't help much as she was stuttering from the extreme cold, "F-f-freezzz-zing! B-b-b-blanket... T-t-toooo c-c-cold!"

Angie was already there with a couple of blankets. Handing one to KC, she said, "Take her to her tent and get her out of those wet things, quickly, help her dry thoroughly and into some dry clothes, then keep her up by the fire. Lila can stay in her tent wrapped up, for a little bit."

About that time, Lila had arrived, stuttering the same things. As Angie led her away, she gave a glare at Zara as icy as the lake she just came out of. This earned her a slap to the back of the head. "You wanna go back in there or something? You're NOT little miss perfect, you know. Sounded to me like maybe you SHOULD take Polly's advice, and go to bed earlier. Polly wouldn't go into that kind of detail without the teacher actually being in detail also."

Zara chuckled as Catra read over the phone and tossed her some side-eyes from where she was reading. She shrugged as she leaned down and kissed her cheek and then stood back up to watch the girls make their way up the hill. She smiled and raised a brow at Angie's instructions "Trying to really warm the pair of them up ain't ya." she laughed and shot KC a wink before rolling her eyes at Lila as she wandered up as well. Chuckling she shrugged and moved about putting all their food away before turning to Catra "Lets head back to the camp hehe."

KC giggled and pulled her up out of the water, while not nearly as strong as the sphinx girl she was strong enough to half carry her girlfriend. Smiling she took the blanket from Angie and wrapped it around Polly her face a bit red at Zaras implication. Even still she made her way up the hill leading the other girl who seemed to shiver the entire time. Once back at camp they stepped into their tent and she helped Polly as much as she could before closing her eyes

"Going to keep them away from each other for a bit, too, we don't need another heated argument." Angie shot a glance Zara's way as she offered to bring the stuff up. "Leave the poles, Zara, dear. I'll check them as soon as Lila's changed. Just bring up the food. Catra, help her." She was soon in Lila's tent.

Catra nodded and gave Zara another pair of arms (and hands) to carry things.

Polly could hardly move her fingers, she was shivering so hard. "We're both girls, y'know. I haven't gotten anything you don't." She noticed KC had had to pull out the extra clothes, which was a teen's version of a three piece skirt suit. She realized the way she was shivering, she was going to need help buttoning the blouse and tying the tie. She managed to get the skirt on and zipped, herself, however.

Zara chuckled and shrugged "I mean that might warm them up quicker but I'll get the fire going once we're up there." She smirked and grabbed up the food letting Catra grab some as well as they moved back up the path. "Man when someone wants to she certainly knows what orders to give." She chuckled again shooting the smaller girl a wink as she set the stuff down by the fire and started working on getting it going.

KC blushed a bit more as she peeked through her fingers then shut them again
"Yea but you're like my girlfriend or something now its awkward if I'm just a peeping tom or something." She blushed a bit more only moving her hands when the other said she was done with her skirt. Stepping up to her she moved around pulling on the blouse and getting it buttoned up before turning to look at the tie. "Yea I don't know how to tie a tie and since we're in the woods do you really need it?"

Catra was the one to make the remarks, hands now full of the condiments. "She's probably had lots of practice. I mean the Howertons are more loaded than the Littles and Chatfields combined. Her place must be huge and fully staffed." She than began putting things down by the fire, finally making her second sandwich the same as her first. "Braunsweiger isn't bad with the other meats on it, both cheeses and mustard. Too bad Angie forgot the onions."

Polly nodded as KC helped her get her blouse on, "You're right. And maybe I wouldn't mind you being a peeping Jill. Just no playtime yet." She winked. "Help me with my blazer?" She asked.

Everyone would hear Angie scolding Lila. "Absolutely not! I don't want a repeat of that argument! You need to stay in here and really think about how you treated your longtime childhood friend! I've a good mind to tell your parents!" And this was coming from a fellow sixteen year old!

Zara chuckled as she worked on the fire "Yea I never understood servants, we've never had them in or around the house. My mom and grandma take care of all the house stuff. Well they did when I and my siblings were younger but now that we're older we have to help out. Fortunately for me being a supernatural creature definitely helps with all that haha." She chuckled and then turned her attention to where the argument was coming from. "Man you'd think she was older than Pollys grandma the way she was acting haha." She stood up putting a hand on her hip then waggling her finer at Catra. "You darn kids."

KC blushed a bit more and then nodded as she stepped forward again and helped her with the rest of her outfit. "I might have peeked." She giggled some as she took a brave step and kissed her cheek and then turned around to exit only for the argument to reach their ears. "Oooh sounds like the wardens being a real hard ass hehe."

Catra smirked. "This is the second time Lila's gotten in trouble with her. Angie sounding like Nana would make dad proud, anyway, that someone is being in charge of us. He just wouldn't like that Angie isn't being a normal teen." She used airquotes around the last two words.

Polly leaned into the kiss before showing disappointment in KC rushing off. As she listened, she tutted. "Angie wouldn't have to be a hardass if Lila would stop showing hers. We are representatives of the Howertons, whether we like it or not, since we're here thanks to Angie's dad. I'm just surprised we didn't hear Angie remind Lila of that." She thought about that. "In all reality, she shouldn't have to remind any of us." She exited her tent as well.

Angie saw them, and teased Polly with a, "Cute outfit, but where's your tie?"

"My hands wouldn't work, and KC doesn't know how to tie one." Polly answered.

Angie rolled her eyes. "I was joking, Pocket. Really." She then shook her head.

Zara chuckled as she played with the fire watching Catra out of the corner of her eye as she talked. At her air quotes she couldn't help but let out a laugh before stepping back from the fire satisfied. "I don't that girl has ever been a normal teen. But then again who I am one to say anything." She chuckled and kissed Catra before sitting down next to her and glancing back to see the other girls coming out.

KC continued to blush even as she continued to talk to Polly
"Yea but we're in the woods so its not like there's to many people here who'll see us." She shrugged stepped out of the tent with Polly behind her only to get called out by Angie. "Yea I don't wear ties so that was not happening."

Catra thought about it and finally nodded as Angie made her way to the poles at the lakefront. She finished her bite of sandwich, swallowed, and commented, "You got something there, because she's an heiress. I mean, the other two founding families kids are probably no better. Heck, they may even be worse behaved... Even, dare I say, spoiled.

Angie was coming back up the hill. "The boy is. The other girl is just mean. Think she was born that way. She makes any GI Joe character look like a wuss. You think I'm tough on y'all..." She stopped there and shook her head before holding up a good size fish. "Who has the yellow pole with the pink stripes? Clean your own fish if you know how." Leaving it at the top of the hill on the ground, Angie went back to watch the poles.

Polly looked at the others. "Don't look at me, mine is teal and blue like a mermaid's tail."

"Well it isn't mine. Mine looks like a rolled up French flag. Y'know. Cuz the Juliennes are French descent?"

Catra and Polly then both said "Lila!" and went back and forth about getting her because neither wanted to go through that argument with Lila... Because it wouldn't end well.

Back
Top Bottom