Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Urban Sphinx (w Rain K)

Nobody yet picked as a few more silent moments dragged by and Angie sighed and strummed a familiar folk tune. "We sang this in summer camp a few years ago... Well more than a few. More like the summer before middle school, or sixth grade. Somehow, it's fitting with this quiet bunch."

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to speak with you again
'Cuz a vision softly creeping
Left it's seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Among the sounds
Of silence

In restless dreams I walked alone
Through narrow streets of cobble stone
In the halo of a street lamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sounds
Of silence

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the sounds
Of silence

"Fools" said I "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you!"
But my words like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells
Of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed out it's warning
In the words that it was forming
And the sign said "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls
And touched the sounds
Of silence

When she finished, Angie received applause from Nana. Polly and Catra sat there with their mouths hanging open, and Lila left for her tent with a "And on that note... Goodnight everyone."

Zara chuckled as they finished playing the song and after a moment of just standing there enjoying the warmth of the fire at her back, she heard Angie start to pluck a familiar toon. "Mmm, I know that sound haha." She chuckled and start to play along with her joining in the singing and enjoying the sound itself. After a few moments they were finished up and as she watched Lila move towards her tent she stretched and nodded her head "Mmm sounds like a good idea. Kitty Catra you with me?"

KC smiled singing along with the other two on whatever song they were singing and then she let the last one fade and simply enjoyed the sounds of nature. "Its very nice out tonight."

Angie couldn't help herself. "Don't do anything I would, Kit Kat!" She finished it off with a wink to both as she put her guitar aside, sat next to Nana but on a separate log and took a deep breath. "I always liked this spot. But we might want to get in before the September winds howl off Chatfield Lake. I mean... They're not as mean as those late October ones, but brother, sisters... Usually happens on clear nights like this."

Nana nodded. "Legend of the Fall Winds of the Rockies. They usually predict how bad the winters are going to be for Littleton and points North. Especially Denver. But I'm afraid you have me at a disadvantage on the late October winds off the lake. I thought I knew all of Littleton's legends."

"My dear Nana Pocket... Long story in the form of a question... Where do you think Theodore Geisel got his idea for Halloween is Grinch Night?"

All Nana could say was "Oh my. I never thought of that."

Zara rolled her eyes and playfully flipped the other girl off before moving with Catra towards their tent. She smiled and slipped inside before flopping down on her sleeping bag and giving a small groan and then rolling over to smile up at Catra. "So despite what the princess might have said out there would you like to try something....fun?" She smiled although there was a hint of a blush crossing her face as she looked up at the other girl "If you want."

KC smiled as she continued to stare up at the stars marking off some of the constellations she knew or simply making her own. At the same time, she was listening to her friend talk to the older woman. "Wait I'm very confused how does all that have to do with wind?"

Polly couldn't help but choke on her chuckle. "Are you serious? How long have you lived here and never heard the legend of The Fall Winds of the Rockies?"

Angie sighed. "I half expect that from Zara, as her and her family haven't been here as long." Another sigh and a glance towards Nana and then her guitar. "I hope I don't have to sing the legend... As I reworded it slightly to the tune of a Gordon Lightfoot song called The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, not as many verses... Okay."

She looked back at KC, "Polly and Nana can help me out if I miss something important. We've already had the hungry bear, which makes me think the Ute Indians who made their living along the front range were onto something. When the bear comes calling and the cat roars, beware the early fall blow for the winter will be early and cold. Should the lake howl, the north wind will ensnare the unsuspecting. Pity the squaw and her papoose." She stopped. "That's it in a nutshell, but there's details I've left off for now. Think about it. The bear visited. Our friend, who is a cat of sorts... Roared. I exactly don't want to be outside the tent when the wind comes off that lake as I'd rather not hear if the lake howls before the blow."

Meanwhile Catra just lay there staring at Zara. "I don't know... I mean... I'm more curious about the whole Sphinx thing. I want to hear more about that."

KC shook her head at the other girl "Well I know some of the legend but I meant the whole Halloween and Grinch thing." She smiled as she settled back looking up at Angie who took a moment to groan but then decided she was going to tell the story anyway. As she did KC would nod her head her brows rising as she realized what she was pointing towards given Zara was a sphinx and the bear had come along. "Oh my I see what you mean although I think a howling lake would be pretty interesting in the long run."

Zara glanced up at her as she lay down and let out a chuckle "Mmm of course the cat obsessed girl would want to know about her cat girlfriend." She smiled as she let her eyes turn and her fangs grow out some. "Mmm fine but I'm sleeping like I usually do." She groaned again as she stretched and stripped leaving herself in just her panties.

It was Angie's turn to raise an eyebrow. "So soon after the first two warnings have already happened?!" She asked rhetorically... Although she didn't state her question was rhetorical.

Meanwhile, Catra just shrugged and stripped to her underwear before slipping into a flannel nightgown-esk sleepwear and getting comfortable to listen to what Zara told her.

Back outside, Angie picked up her guitar and teased threateningly, "Don't make me sing the legend!" With a sigh, she asked, "You haven't read Geisel's book or seen the Halloween special about the sour sweet winds near Halloween or Grinch Night? I really think he was talking about the winds that come seemingly right off the mountain right across the lake to the west..."

She was interrupted by an eerie howl emanating, seemingly, from the northern end of the lake. "Now you went and did it, KC! Unbelievers in the Indian Legend are always shown. Everyone back in my tent!" She grabbed her guitar. "Everyone else is already in theirs, so they're fine! We got like half a minute!" She ran as she said how long and was already in it with Nana close behind her by the time she finished saying it.

Zara chuckled as the other girl didn't even react "Mmm your less fun to tease than the mini girl out there haha." She chuckled and winked at her before wrapping her arm around her body and hugging her close. "Alright, so what do you want to know because as I said earlier there are a few years of history haha." She laughed and kissed her cheek as she watched the other girl with her glowing eyes.

KC chuckled as the other girl continued to talk her hand moving around as she expressed herself. Shaking her head she smiled and shrugged only to perk up as the howl echoed from the lake and flowed up to them.
"Oh my that certainly sounds like something hehe." She giggled and tugged the other girls hand as she hopped up and followed the other two ladies to Angies tent. "Didn't say I was an unbeliever I just wanted to know more."

Catra giggled, as she snuggled in, feeling relatively safe. "I guess start at the beginning?" She put one hand partly around Zara's side.

"Crap. Nana zip it behind me..." Angie groaned, rushing out and grabbing the sand bucket to dump on the glowing embers. At that moment, the strong gust tore through the camp and Angie cried out in agony like someone had just thrown the whole of the Arctic Ocean on her, then threw her in a meat locker for good measure.

Anyone venturing outside, would see the camping area desecrated, and Angie standing there hugging herself, shivering, and teeth chattering... Eyes wide open. She'd also have been blown forward to just on the other side of the fire rocks. The marshmallows left were hanging in a tree along with the rest of the ginger loaf about thirty feet up towards the parking lot.

"Guh-guh-guh great.... All-all-all wuh-we nuh-nuh-need nuh-now i-i-is th-the s-suh-snuh-snow." A snowflake hit her nose, she crossed her eyes watching it melt. "Muh-me a-a-and muh-my b-buh-big muh-muh-mouth." Someone needed to wrap a blanket around her and get her back in the tent.

The next morning there would only be a light dusting which would be gone by midmorning.

Zara chuckled and rolled her eyes as the other girl snuggled up to her side completely ignoring her bare chest. "Damn thought that one would work." She chuckled and shook her head before giving the other a quick kiss. "Mmm well that's kind of a broad topic and I covered it out there. Sekhmet needed someone to guard the king's tombs from those who would desecrate them. Thus she chose my family."

KC was content to follow the other girl into the tent only for Angie to turn back around and dash back to their fire. She turned back to watch her only for nana to zip up the tent. As she did they heard the wind come flying through and Angie let out a shriek. She quickly zipped them back down to check on her only to spot her standing off to the side holding herself and it seemed refusing to move. "Damn that must be some cold wind I'll go get her." She shook her head quickly dashing out to her picking her up princess style and dashing back to the tent "Make way."

Catra glanced towards Angie's holler. "Someone musta threw a bucket of ice water on her..." She shook her head. "Yeah, but details... Like when in history did this start... Which pharaoh... And were you like related to one?"

Angie was a handful of tremble and she pointed shaking to a small pile of blankets in a corner. Apparently, she'd come prepared enough that anyone caught out that needed a warm blanket would have one if they didn't bring their own.

Zara raised a brow and let out a laugh nodding in agreement with her girlfriend. She smiled and kissed her head as she leaned back some staring at the top of the tent. "Mmm family history huh. Lets see I think it was Cleopatra maybe because she wanted us to push back against the Romans and their forces. Obviously we weren't able to stop them so she set us to guarding the tombs protecting them from looters. And as far as I know we aren't I think we were just priests or something for Sekhmet" She shrugged, despite how long members in her family lived those first few years were kind of blurry

KC giggled as she pushed into the tent and then moved over to the pile that the frozen girl was pointing to. Nodding her head she set her in the pile and then quickly piled them all over and on top of her. After a moment she settled down next to her with a giggle
"Told them not to make any noise when you're the one over here quivering and whimpering hehe."

Angie frowned, yet sort of understood. She waved off the others clutching just the two. She pointed around, indication of how they were for everyone. She made a sign of having been in the scouts... But the direction both the boys and girls had gone... It sure wasn't the traditional ones. She'd have some explaining to do once she warmed up.

Catra listened respectfully, even tilting her head to the side in a bit of bewilderment. The Sphinx had only been around since the first century BC(E)? "Learn something new everyday. I thought the Sphinx was around longer than that. Or is this just the stone one, and the real ones came then? I mean makes sense... But didn't Caesar strike some kind of deal with her... Cleopatra, I mean. History, legend and Shakespeare all speak of a possible relationship between those two... With Marc Antony being the other part of the triangle."

KC grinned and nodded her head as she snagged a few of the blankets for herself and then moved over to where she was sleeping for the night. Stretching out on her spot she gave a small yawn before rolling over and staring up at the roof of the tent.

Zara groaned some as Catra started asking questions about her story
"Yes you are correct there were a few real ones before my family but they died out and Sekhmet needed ya know people who could reason and control themselves so we were chosen. Yea she did make a deal with them but then that all went to hell when she backed the wrong person, plus there were just to many of them in Egyptian lands. But like I said after that we were tasked with guarding the tombs." She shrugged and kissed her cheek

Catra enjoyed the kiss and listened to the story, happy with her pick, because the more she listened to Zara, the more she liked the whole mystery surrounding her. "How long have you yourself known you're... Erm... A Sphinx in... Like literal big cat sense?"

Everyone was just settling down in the Howerton tent, and as promised, Polly laid down next to KC. Nana sighed, looking at the three teens.

Zara chuckled some as she scratched at her chin and gave her a shrug "My whole life almost, I mean except for ya know when I was a baby. Its a pretty open secret within my family so my mom and grandma made sure I knew what I was growing up. It was until a few years ago that I started changing and such, but I have always had my strength and wings." She smiled and shrugged again

KC blushed as she looked over at the girl laying down next to her but she did smile

Catra nodded, cuddling in. "Well, that's cool. You plan on fishing with the rest of us, tomorrow? I think Angie mentioned she had an extra pole... Of course there's the whole state fishing license, ish." She sighed. "I did want to try to know you better over these few days."

Zara raised a brow at the other girl before chuckling and nodding her head some "Mmm probably not gonna fish but I'm more than happy to come down there and join you guys by the water." She smiled before laying back a bit more her eyes closing "For now though lets head to bed I'm tired I fought a bear."

Catra nodded happily, and snuggled, saying, "Yeah. Then you were the cat who roared. According to the old legend, we're gonna have a cold winter... Cuz I betcha ol' Angie just fought the north wind. That's why she shrieked."

---------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, as Nana went out to investigate the damage as Dawn broke, the first thing she saw was there was a very fine dusting of snow on the ground and trees. Polly woke up next to KC and blushed as she realized she hadn't minded waking up next to her.

Angie came out, still wrapped slightly in one of the blankets. "Eggs and bacon and cheese and toast... Well bread... In the RV." She stifled a yawn. "Someone in there sounded like a cacophony of chainsaws. I hardly got any sleep."

Nana nodded. "Same with me. I think both of them are guilty. Polly snores, but good heavens, that couldn't have been just her. At least they were in sync."

Zara groaned as she popped up and stretched her hand grazing the top of the tent as she glanced down at Catra and smiled. Kissing her cheek she pulled on a shirt and some pants before hopping up and moving out into the snow. "Damn no swimming today haha." She chuckled nodding her head in agreement as she followed the other two towards the RV

KC blinked and found a blushing Polly laying near her and she gave a small smile her own blush growing as she realized she didn't mind either. After a moment she hopped up and got dressed before making her way out just in time to hear the other ladies.
"I do not snore it must have been one of you guy's echoes or something."

Angie knew it wasn't her. She hardly had any body weight to speak of. "I'm lucky if I'm 105 soaking wet, KC. I definitely do not snore!" The last part of that was true, the first part was a little bit of vanilla fudge on her part. She had no medical condition, or anything else for that matter, to cause her to snore, however, she was about 15 pounds shy of what she actuallyweighed*... Wet or otherwise. Then to Zara, "Why don't you restart the fire, and wipe out my pans, please? I think Nana and I can handle bringing breakfast, thanks, though."

Polly was slow to get out from under the blankets and get her outer clothes back on and out of Angie's tent. She looked up to see Angie and Polly's Nana making their way to the RV. She looked around at the fine dusting. "Oh boy. Early and bad winter." She bemoaned reading the clues. "Glad we're headed back home tomorrow morning early." She looked towards Lila's and then Catra's tents, not knowing (or forgetting), Catra would be coming out of Zara's tent when she wakes up.

*-so she's 120. Still dangerously thin, but wouldn't cause snoring

Last edited:
Zara yawned and stretched as she nodded at the other girl "Sounds like a plan Princess." She chuckled as she moved over to the fire pit. She was wearing a simple pair of jeans and a tank top the cold not really a bother given her Egyptian blood always running hot not to mention her powers. Settling down on one of the logs she leaned over the fire and worked to get it going taking a few moments until it was lit. Nodding in approval she would set about getting them some firewood and setting it beside the fire so it would dry and then she used some snow to clean out the pans.

KC rolled her eyes as she glanced over at Angie
"Well I never are you calling me fat young lady." She shook her head as she gave a small shiver in her jacket and then moved over to the fire joining Zara and enjoying the warmth

Nana and Angie were back with all the breakfast fixings, and Angie shooed Zara over a little so she could start cooking. She glanced to KC, with Polly now next to her. "What does being fat have to do with it. It's a medical condition that makes you snore. Or being as little as only five pounds over your ideal weight. Some one was loud, last night." She then melted some butter. "Hope everyone is okay with scrambled eggs. We can't be too overly picky on our eggs when camping." Putting six eggs in the hot pan, she then broke the yolks, and mixed quickly. Nana handed Zara the two pounds of bacon. "Fry all of it since there's six of us, please." She glanced towards the tents. "Lila and Catra are STILL asleep?"

Polly had made her way out, and over to KC before the other two got back from the RV. She sat next to KC. "Sorry if you couldn't sleep much. I kinda snore like a lumberjack. Woke myself up once. Nana musta been nervous, cuz I heard her sawing wood herself last night. But like real light. Like, "kkttzoooo... kkttzoooo!" A sigh escaped her lips. "I kinda liked that last night. Sleeping next to you."

KC rolled her eyes at Angie "You're the one who brought weight into it, young lady." She glanced up at Polly and smiled as she settled down next to her but as she got comfortable a blush moved across her face. She chuckled some and nodded at her words "Didn't bother me none I can sleep through a hurricane. And yea I liked that as well um it was nice." She blushed even more as she looked up at the other girl

Zara nodded her head as she took the bacon and tossed it down onto her pan before beginning to sear and cook it.
"Mmmf bacon always smells just so perfect." She licked her lips then glanced back towards the tents and gave a shrug.

Angie sighed. "Thought it might be common sense on the weight issue being detrimental to one's sleeping health, and lookit me. I'mma freaking beanpole for pity's sakes." She looked over with a pouty face, which was sort of a flirt in and of itself.

"That bacon smells great, Zara." She said as Nana prepared the hard plastic, cream colored bacon drainer platter* and set it near Zara so she could shovel the bacon right onto it.

(*- can't find the exact look, but it resembles a grill whereas the bacon (or other greasy meat) sits a little above the exact bottom on "ridges", allowing the grease to drain into the "pool" which is the bottom. I use to have one... And it was cream colored)

Back
Top Bottom