Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

My Girlfriend Cosplays Supergirl (w/KiraMusani)

Candy looked at the phone as she smiled at Jeff. "I need you to dice half a pound of bacon and have it soak in the syrup, and both has to be cooked at the same time." She pointed to the part of the recipe she was talking about. She hoped the eight ounces of syrup was going to be enough for the eight ounces of bacon. It did read ratio 1:1, which meant one ounce syrup to one ounce diced bacon.

While Jeff did the bacon, she sat across from him and mashed the steamed potatoes, making them, or at least trying to make them, fluffy, folding in the butter and spices, including cinnamon.

With the girls in the living room, Kara sighed. "The only book we have two of, is Christmas Carol. We do have all the Sue Grafton books, so maybe we can take them and talk about comparisons and differences between them chapter to chapter?"

If Noel would look, the Zorels had A-Y... The entire alphabet collection from the author.

Jeff helped in the kitchen with Candy without issue.

Noel agreed to the Sue Grafton idea but looked to the others to see if they were interested.

With the mashed potatoes about ready, she looked again at the recipe. "Jeff, I think we might wanna go by looks with the steamed veggies. The side are supposed to 'steam until done, yet still crunchy', do you think we should wait on starting steaming the sides, our veggies, until like a half hour before time to eat? As much as there are eating, we might wanna start the entreé with an hour to go. We may be done until four. I mean how long is it going to take to cook the meats, our soaking bacon, and the sausage, together, before adding the eggs and mashed potatoes after the meat cools for fifteen minutes, and then some more syrup and the cheese at the end?"

It was a fair question, and looked like it would be done around four or earlier, the way it looked now. It was just after two.

Calla pulled out A is for Alibi, "I've been meaning to read these. I'll start at the beginning. I like the idea."

Stephanie shrugged. "Noel, you and Kara pick yours next. I've got the whole collection at home; A through Y, so it doesn't matter which I get."

Jeff thought for a moment before nodding.
"That all sounds good to me!" He nodded and gave her a thumbs up.
"But to be honest the kitchen is one of my week zones. Only knew that last recipe because I looked it up, kind of flying blind on this one" He admitted.

Noel looked to see if there was an option that was categorized under N.

Noel would find N is for Noose and Kara asked, "Could you please hand me L is for Lawless?"

Stephanie, when she could get to the bookshelf and took her first initial like Noel had, S is for Silence.

Candy nodded. "It's been a while since I did this since it makes so much. I think if we go back at it about three, three-thirty... We'd time it right for when dinner is supposed to be served. Oh! Did you put the cover on the marinating bacon and stick it in the fridge? I wasn't watching." She had already took the cutting board and knife to wash and let drip dry, since they couldn't really do anything else until an hour... At least.

"Of course" Noel nodded and handed Kara her book.
"Yeah, it will be fun to all read together and stuff." Noel took her book and then waited for Kara to sit, as she was hoping to cuddle up to her a little as they read.

Jeff gave her a thumbs up when she asked if he had started the marinade on the bacon.
"It seems like we did all we could for now."

Candy nodded and linked an arm on his. "I'm curious. When you dropped off the steamer and raced back out, I'm only guessing it had something to do with Silver Platters, and the autograph session. Was that the only thing you had to do?"

Kara took to the couch, or rather a corner, with Calla already in the other corner, and starting to read.

"Oh right, I think you asked that earlier. I did, but I can only tell you if you promise to keep it between us" He told her in a hushed tone.
Noel sat beside Kara and tried to lean into her lightly as she would also start to read.

Candy shrugged. "Not sure what that's supposed to mean... Everyone in the house is aware I have that autograph session tomorrow afternoon with the release of my debut CD..." She then gave him a scolding look. "Whatever else you plotted... Did you forget your sister's dinner? Hickory cooked salmon, and who knows what else?"

"No no no, it has nothing to do with any of that, I just had to go make a quick stop. To be honest it has very little to do with this household." He tried to explain without revealing too much.

Candy looked him over, smirked, and pointed with her head upstairs. She raised an eyebrow, hinting at something more than a talk. "I'm real good... With secrets. Shall we... Upstairs?"

Never mind they'd likely be in the new band house over the weekend, and there was only about half hour before they had to finish cooking supper.

Of course, Jeff could stop Candy's dirty thoughts and purring motor with whispering whatever else it was, in her ear, as well as telling her to cool her jets until AFTER dinner.

Jeff raised a brow at her candor but lead her upstairs anyway, once up would tell her that she needed to cool her jets.

Once in the room, he went on to explain that he went to see his parents. To both update them on court-related business and check in on them. That despite how many people in this household view them as monsters. They do care about Noel and he could tell that it did hurt them when she essentially chose the Zorel family over them.

"I don't think it was anyone's fault. I mean, Noel did kinda turn out okay..." She then gave a caveat as she sat on the bed, head down, that she felt some of Noel's lack of social skills were due to the parents being overprotective. "They sorta didn't help their own case, from what I could piece together. And they sure didn't look approvingly on me." She shrugged. "And technically, although I'm crazy about ya, yes, I admit it, I am supposed to be your boss... Even though I think you're actually older than me, but not much, right? We're both adults, regardless." She looked up. "That's right... The pretrial for the rape case was this morning and the criminals' frivolous law suit was for the afternoon. That was the one you could attend, but not say anything, wasn't it?"

Candy was off track. He couldn't be in the courtroom for either. Jeff was only allowed to tell his parents and Candy, but Christine and Rebecca (the two guests for supper) were to talk to Noel and the Zorels. There was good news, that most likely the parents cheered. There was more than enough evidence for the trial to go through, and Noel and the Zorels would have to wait for envelopes with the trial date start. And better news. As Rebecca predicted, the lawsuit was thrown out with no room to appeal. Even if they somehow got away with the rape, they couldn't touch Noel or her family for damages. Due to a threat by the younger one in the hearing, the restraining order was upheld and increased to a block. If their shady lawyer would even try, all three would be in jail. It was clear. The rapists had to stay away from Noel, except in court, where they'd be in handcuffs. It unfortunately still left Noel's ex Steve.

Jeff got her up to date on everything that he was able to share with her, as well as remind her on how the information was supposed to be distributed. Then told her that if there was nothing else they needed to discuss and she wanted they could return to the others and be ready to finish the meal they had been making.

Candy had apparently gotten the cold shower she needed, as she nodded as she arose, and headed towards the door. "Right. We should. There's a lot more that needs to be done, like cutting the vegetables that actually go in with the eggs and meat, and putting the side veggies in to steam." She grabbed her CD of Canadian artists and handed it to Pat at the bottom of the stairs.

Back downstairs, Candy would start the sausage, as she asked Jeff to dice her tomatoes, onions, peppers, mushrooms and two garlic cloves before starting the vegetable sides steaming. She would also pull out the dozen and a half eggs, still in their carton.

"Careful with the carton. Don't use it to hold the shells. We reuse the cartons, using them to carry eggs instead of pulling out that large sixty count box we got, every time." Pat reminded both.

Once the sausage had made enough grease, Candy added the diced bacon in the syrup marinade, and called for only the minced garlic from Jeff. Both cloves worth.

Candy then asked Jeff to beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl, nine of them, and use half the diced vegetables. "The meat has to be done, and cooling for, oh. Five minutes. I think I said fifteen earlier, my bad."

Lenard would come home just as it would be about time to put all the ingredients of the entreé together. "Wow. Smells like a country breakfast almost." He gave a hug to his wife, Noel and daughter, and waved to the others.

"Jeff? Can you please add the rest of the diced vegetables to the cooled meat and get it back on the burner? At the first pop from it, stir in the egg mixture slowly, like making scrambled eggs... I'll be right back..." She ran down the hall to the first floor bathroom and closed the door.

Jeff nodded back and followed her to the kitchen, following each of the steps he was asked to do as she asked him. Finally giving a nod and mixing the eggs as she had asked before going to the bathroom. He kept an eye on the other items as well as she was gone just in case.

Candy came back, hands still drying, as apparently the Popovichs had a rule about drying hands after washing them, if still cooking. It couldn't hurt to ask, and Jeff would learn that's exactly the reason if he does ask, something about latent germs on hand towels, especially in the bathroom. She took the stirring/folding spatula from him as he would put the bowl down. The steamer would be finished with the vegetables right about the time to eat. When Candy finished cooking the mixture she said, "Now the real fun part... Putting the potatoes on the eggs on like a pie crust... Oh. First the cheese." She spread the cheddar around throughout the mixture and topped it with the mashed potatoes. "There was a reason I used a giant cast iron pan." She chirped as she made the potato top "crust" look almost like meringue. "Those last five minutes I mentioned for this?" She stuck pan and all in the preheated 300 degree oven and flipped a five minute egg timer. "Oh. Crap." She then called to Lenard, "The oven's fixed right? 300 is 300?"

"Yes. It's been fixed since Friday afternoon."

Candy smiled. "Five minutes. Call everyone to dinner, and then help me serve everyone. That's why all the plates are in here. WE serve the first serving."

At that moment, the doorbell rang, Noel's lawyer (Candy's friend) and the ginger detective arrived with the news. Lenard nodded to Noel to ask first and let them in. There was going to be plenty for everyone, as the deep cast iron pan was quite full of good eats.

(Chris will answer for both, saying "Detective Christine Anderson and Rebecca Knight, Attorney at Law.")

Jeff didn't think to ask and kept working along with her in the kitchen, nodding and complying with each step assuming she knew what she was doing. Because he certainly could not do it.

Noel called out asking who it was and waited for the reply before opening the door for them.

Candy gently elbowed Jeff. "Assistant calls every one to dinner?" She asked as a question, "I want them all seated when we serve them." She then gave doe and flirty eyes. "Please?"

Christine came in with Rebecca on her heels. "G'day everyone, I an' Rebecca come baring news from today's proceedings. Smells lovely in here, will try not to take a lot of time..."

Rebecca shook her head. "We can't afford to skimp on the details. Perhaps we should come back after you all eat."

Candy overheard. "If you two ladies haven't eaten yet, I insist. What's two more mouths? We have plenty." She even thought, More than enough, actually. She'd get two more settings to place at the two empty seats, leaving the two plates with the others in the kitchen.

Jeff nodded with a smirk and charamaticly announced when everything was ready to the house.

Noel was nervous about the news but tried to hide it as she took her seat.

Christine thanked the Zorels for their hospitality, Candy for the dinner, and asked for coffee if they had any, as she had a load of paperwork to do once she got back to the police station. Rebecca noticed the settings, missing the plates as Candy sent Jeff to put the bowl of steamed steaming vegetables in the center, until Lenard waved him to let him have the bowl.

By the time he'd get back, Candy would have four of the plates ready to serve, and still scooping from the large pan onto plates. Each plate's entreé had a thin drizzle more of the syrup atop the lightly browned potatoes; the syrup looked like a squiggly line. Soon, in about five minutes, all were served, and Candy sat, and took her seat next to Jeff. "Everyone may enjoy!" She pretty much sang the words.

After taking a drink of water, Rebecca began, as the side of vegetables was passed around. "I'm going to let Chris handle the bit regarding this morning, as that deals with the criminal end. Although I'm here for it as well, my main purpose was focussing on the frivolous law suit. I am happy to report that the judge threw their case out completely, and added that there would be no chance of appeal. Although your parents were not named in the original case filed, he also said that they could not try to sue the parents either. Of course, they weren't happy with the situation, but he reminded them that they were accused of a heinous crime against the victim, as well as the kidnapping charge, and he was going to make damned sure they did not profit from it."

Stephanie looked over with an eyebrow raised, with her mouth full. The vegetables got to her, and she put some on her plate and passed them to Noel. What she would see, were mixed carrots, beans, snow peas, cauliflower and all three bell peppers; red, yellow and green.

Rebecca looked over to Jeff, "I was wondering how your parents would handle that, not only the case being thrown out, but they couldn't try to sue your parents either. And since I am your sister's lawyer, I'll want you to expound on it." She was very cordial, like discussing the weather or sports at the dinner table.

On top of what he was to make he also made a pot of coffee for anyone who wanted it.

Noel and Jeff both took some veggies as they came to them, as well as the main parts of the meal.

Noel shrugged.
"I don't know I imagine they would be happy they won't get sued. But I don't see how that would have happened, they didn't even know where I was. Does that not mean they have no accountability or something?" She asked.

Main part of the meal was served on the plate, only the steamed veggies were in a separate bowl, that everyone served themselves, and the way it looked, everyone wanted some.

Rebecca nodded to Noel. "I asked that question myself. Not only about accountability, but if they even had a conscience. Not aloud mind you, but, it was obvious they were trying to blame everyone but themselves. See, since your parents raised you, people like those two would somehow try to push how you were brought up as the reason, too. The judge said that would NEVER be admissable in any lawsuit. It was even turned on them, as he asked pointedly if their own parents shouldn't be also charged with a crime against the girl. He showed them exactly how hypocritical their thinking was." She sighed. "They made matters worse for themselves when the youngest swore to come over here and teach you a lesson, as now, IF they get out on bail, neither them or their lawyer can be within one block radius of you, except in the courtroom, or they'll be arrested and another charge brought against them. It's too bad he's just a hearing judge that sees if something should go to court. The lawsuit won't."

Christine swallowed a bite of the eggy entreé. "The other case will. In the morning, he heard the case against them on the rape. Again, I was proven right, as I said the same thing as Rebecca, however, I wasn't as sure about the lawsuit as I was on the criminal case. I said the evidence was overwhelming, and we probably talked about ten minutes and he stopped us and said 'I've heard enough. Held over for trial'. You'll get through regular mail the court date itself, however, all subpoenas will be brought by King County." She shrugged. "I doubt that you'll not want to be at the courthouse during this trial, since you're the victim, Noel, but everyone else might... MIGHT get one. Jury selection will probably begin immediately as in tomorrow." She looked around and noticed Stephanie slumping, and starting to pout as she picked at her dinner. "Here there's no need for tears, these things happen, no worries, now, luv, she'll be apples." Stephanie looked forlorn at Chris who nodded and then to her next chair table mate, Noel for more reassurance.

Noel took a breath and looked back at Stephanie.
"It sounds like things are looking to be in our favor." She told her wanting to help her feel better. What she didn't say was that last time with Steve it was the same at this point, so she didn't want to get her own hopes up just yet.

Rebecca and Christine must have noticed how it was said at the same time, as they exchanged glances. Chris even glanced around the table at the others, looking to see if anyone else caught the gestures and tone.

Stephanie, however, bought what Noel was saying, and although still slumping in her seat, she began to eat normally again.

Calla seemed to be trying to figure out what it might mean, and kept shaking her head like she had a flea in her ear. Maybe it would hit her later.

Pat cleared her throat. "Uh, who has dishes tonight of family and house guests?"

Stephanie raised her hand. "I don't know who with, though."

Lenard cleared his own throat. "Pat... What we discussed. What Stephen told me, then I told you?"

Pat got the message. "Oh. Right. We have to have a little girl to girl, Nancy Drew... And since no one else is to be in the kitchen but those doing the dishes..." She looked at each person at the table in turn.

Rebecca started it. "I can take a cup of coffee and visit for a little."

Christine continued with a nod. "Sounds like a bonzer idea. I'll take my coffee to the living room, I think I saw some coasters about?"

"Yes I can get you two some. If anyone wants their one soda, you can take it in to the living room as well."

Everyone would continue eating in silence. Kara reached over and patted Noel's shoulder from the other side of her.

Back
Top Bottom