Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

For the gamers within us, which game did you enjoy the most playing as a kid?

For Gameboy Advance SP, it’s between Pokémon and Megaman Battle Network/Zero series

For GameCube, it’s Sonic Adventure Battle II and Super Smash Brothers Malee

It's unlikely very many people who know these games but Joe and Mac 2 and Jurassic Park for super nintendo.

Last edited:
GTA since the very beginning. I also loved Beavis & Butthead on Sega. Home Alone was also very addictive and fun. Mario 64 because at that time and age was mind-blowing, 007 and Turok all the way.

In my teenage 80s days on Commodore computers, there was a fantastic company called Cinemaware who really stretched the imaginative boundaries in game design. One title of theirs in particular will always hold a special place in my heart: Defender of the Crown.
Defender of the Crown was also one of my favorites in my Commodore 64 days. I still have the box and the cassettes. I even have the cassette player for the computer, but the computer itself died years ago.

But my favorite game as a kid was Elite. With Defender of the Crown, Bards Tale, Last Ninja and Barbarian making a close bid for that first place.

I played Spyro so much that to this day I have all the maps memorized. When the reignited trilogy came out, I beat the entire thing, the full possible 340%, in about 2 days.

Honestly, as a kid I loved Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle for the Nintendo. I was a big fan of Final Fantasy VII, Legend of the Dragoon, and Crash Bandicoot as well. But the biggest impact was Pokemon hands down.

I don't know about my favourite, but my first video game was Alex the Kid on Sega Master System 2. The beginning of my decent into nerdom.

Diablo 2, Chrono Trigger, and Zelda: A Link to the Past. They're still the games I like the most and would likely play over others. Gaming companies have went downhill, become greedy, lie to their fan bases constantly, et cetera. Thank companies like Bathesda, EA Games, Rockstar Games, and Ubisoft for this. Plus, outside of Path of Exile, there hasn't been any real progress in the hack 'n slash genre or rpg genre.

Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 are two other games I love, but games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Halo have watered down the FPS genre over the years by recycling the same content without innovating, and they brought about the generation of "baby me mechanics" to games. With that, if I were to play FPS games it'd still be the older games that I'd enjoy as well.

Oof! How the heck did I find this thread when it was made so long ago? No idea! My favorite game, you ask?

It was a game that came out when I was much too young to even read the title, so I'd called it 'the monster game'. In about... 2017 I finally learned the real name. It was an old RPG dungeon crawler called "Azure Dreams". It has a cult following and is apparently crazy rare. Even in japan, I could never find a copy! But just this past christmas, I managed to find a mint condition copy. I haven't played it again, yet, but I'm also way too excited and would end up triggering a migraine. Hah!

It was made by Konami in the 90's, Azure dreams is a game where the protagonists home is overshadowed by a monster tower. His father was a well known monster tamer - I often equate it to pokemon, but it plays nothing like that - and when the protagonist was only a child, his father had gone into the tower and never returned. At the age of 15 and finally able to become a tamer himself, the Protagonist ventures into the tower to both find his father, and become as great a legend as he was.

All the while, you're able to make your small town a bustling tourist zone with bird riding - they're the size of chocobo's - expand your own house, and romance up to seven different girls in the town! The story is phenomenal, and the graphics were astounding for the time. Not to mention - the OST? Absolute comfort. Its understated yet memorable. I have yet to see a review under four stars out of five.

Spyro, Year of the Dragon & Crash Bandicoot!

My dad taught me how to play Civ 3 when I was like, seven years old. Unfortunately up to this day I still don't have the patience to competently play turn based strategy games.

Oof! How the heck did I find this thread when it was made so long ago? No idea! My favorite game, you ask?

It was a game that came out when I was much too young to even read the title, so I'd called it 'the monster game'. In about... 2017 I finally learned the real name. It was an old RPG dungeon crawler called "Azure Dreams". It has a cult following and is apparently crazy rare. Even in japan, I could never find a copy! But just this past christmas, I managed to find a mint condition copy. I haven't played it again, yet, but I'm also way too excited and would end up triggering a migraine. Hah!

It was made by Konami in the 90's, Azure dreams is a game where the protagonists home is overshadowed by a monster tower. His father was a well known monster tamer - I often equate it to pokemon, but it plays nothing like that - and when the protagonist was only a child, his father had gone into the tower and never returned. At the age of 15 and finally able to become a tamer himself, the Protagonist ventures into the tower to both find his father, and become as great a legend as he was.

All the while, you're able to make your small town a bustling tourist zone with bird riding - they're the size of chocobo's - expand your own house, and romance up to seven different girls in the town! The story is phenomenal, and the graphics were astounding for the time. Not to mention - the OST? Absolute comfort. Its understated yet memorable. I have yet to see a review under four stars out of five.
I remember Azure Dreams! I love the aspect of rebuilding the town and really like the Fountain cutscene after you have one built!

WWF Smackdown and Smackdown 2 on the Playstation with my brother.

Final Fantasy X sometimes with my brother watching.

Banjo-Kazooie. Smash Bros. on N64.

Eventually Fable.

Halo 2.

Many good memories. The more I think, the more fond games come back to me.

Tomb Raiders 1,2,3 and I hated four because the ending was so depressing.
Resident Evil 2 and 3 even though they scared me.
Tekken 2 and 3.
The Xena Warrior princess ps1 game.
Any star wars and star trek spin off games
The Sims and all its extension packs.
The Buffy the Vampire Slayer Games

The first game I ever played was the Legend of Zelda, as in the very first Zelda game, and most other Zelda games since, even going so far as to purchase the relevant Nintendo console just to play the newest Zelda game (and never bought anything else!).

The old Sierra classics were what introduced me to PC gaming, namely the King's Quest and Quest for Glory series, and got me into Roleplaying in general. To this day, favourite CRP bar none will have to be Planescape: Torment.

Blood, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Star Wars Dark Forces, and Rise of the Triad provided some memories on the FPS scene.

Back
Top Bottom