Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Grief and Disgrace make good bedfellows ( Lady Luna and Wolvenrogue)

The train pulled out of the station and a few minutes later the conductor collected their tickets, and informed Robert that they would stop in Columbia in 4 hours for a rest and meal stop if it was needed. Robert asked if a blanket was available and seeing that Elly had a baby, he brought them one. Robert covered them both and pulled her close under his arm.

Nelly was trying to stay awake so she wouldn't drop the baby, but it was very difficult to do. The movement of the train and the repetitive sound of the engine started to pull her to sleep. Each time her head lowered, she was startled awake. She looked down to make sure the baby was alright before sleep would try to claim her again.

Robert saw what was happening and got an idea. He took the nursing cape and tied on edge around her waist and the other around her neck making a large pocket in front of her breasts. "Open your dress and tuck her inside against your breasts" he said . Then he tightened the cape. The baby was snug inside and Nelly was completely covered. "Now you can't drop her. "

Nelly did as he instructed and felt very grateful to see it worked. "Thank you." She said before yawning and closing her eyes. "You'll wake me when we arrive, won't you?"

"I should say so" he said " There is no bathroom on this train you dare not miss a rest stop." besides you need to drink liquids so you can make milk. " He cuddled her under his arm and covered her again with the blanket to keep her and the baby warm.

"You're the best.." Nelly mumbled as she drifted off to sleep. About three hours later she suddenly awoke when she felt the baby suckling again. She looked around the room in confusion before she remembered where they were. She looked out the window. Seeing it was still dark out, she knew she wasn't out for very long. "Are we getting close to our first stop?" she asked as she turned her attention to Robert.

Robert got up and asked the conductor . "Well yes sir just about 20 mins out. I'd get your little family ready to move. I see you carrying the lady, is she injured? "Yes sir" Robert said. "They have a wheel chair at the station, I 'll get it for you. You have your hands full. " Robert returned to Nelly "We've been asleep over three hours we arrive at the stop in 15 minutes or so. they have a wheel chair for you!"

"They do? That will help." Nelly said before tugging at the knots he made in the nursing cape. "Could you help me with this? We need to be ready when the train stops."

Robert quickly untied the knots. He had been tying bandannas for twenty years so it was like sleep walking for him . He held Elizabeth while Nelly fixed her dress under the blanket then handed her back.

Once Nelly was situated, she gladly took the baby back into her arms. She would be glad when they could finally get off the train. "How long is the train ride in total? Should we get some food for the ride while we're here?"

"We have another four hours we are just half way. " he said. If we eat while we are hear we will be fine. We have just a two hour rest stop but there is food at the station. It's mostly soup and sandwiches but its ready and waiting for the train. "

"Anything sounds good to me. I'm not picky." Nelly told him and braced herself as the train came to a stop. "Looks like it's time to get out." she said with a grin.

Robert scooped her up in his arms and carried her off the train . The conductor ran ahead and came back with the chair and Robert set her in it. "Tonight I will push you, hold on to the baby." He said.

Nelly nodded in agreement as she held the baby close to her chest. She was getting used to having Robert help her so she didn't complain this time. "I'm hungry. Which way to the food?"

He rolled her down the long platform and into the terminal. Finding a cafe, he rolled her up to a table and they looked at the menu of soups and sandwiches. "Find something you like." He said " and make sure you drink a big glass of milk."

Nelly nodded and decided what she wanted to eat. "I want the tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich and a big glass of milk."

Robert ordered a fried chicken sandwich and a glass beer. When there number was called he picked up the food and brought it to their table and they ate peacefully.

Nelly held the baby in her lap as she ate her food and drank the milk. When she was done, she looked around for a restroom sign. "I need to go before we get back on the train. It's going to be to long a ride to hold it. Do you see a restroom?"

"They are over there" he pointed behind her. " I will wheel you over to it but you have to promise to find another lady to help you. I cant let you injure yourself. " He wheeled her over near it and held Elizabeth while she went in.

Nelly promised so she could go in but didn't abide by his request once on the other side of the door. Instead of asking for help she very slowly and carefully managed to get herself situated on the toilet. When she was done and moving back to her chair, she almost fell but managed to catch herself and get seated. After washing her hands she finally returned to Robert. "All done." she said with a smile.

Robert handed the baby back to Nelly and used the facilities himself and then returned to her. he wheeled her back toward the platform and seeing a vendor selling small pillows he bought one for Nelly. "This should help you get some sleep." When he got to the platform he asked if they could get on early and get situated. The conductor agreed and let them board ahead of everyone else.

Robert again scoped up Nelly and carried her aboard and helped her tie up the cape again and get Elizabeth situated at her breast for the rest of the trip.

Once settled in at their seats, Nelly felt she had to come clean about what she did. She looked at Robert with a worried expression. "Please um... please don't be mad, okay? You made me promise to ask one of the ladies to help me in the restroom, and I didn't lie when I said I would. I fully intended to ask, but once in there... I got too embarrassed and just couldn't ask for help." she blurted out the last sentence with her head down, too nervous to look him in the eyes.

Robert chuckled inside as he looked at his repentant wife. She had been honest and it was impossible to be angry with her. "you do know that one fall and that pretty foot of yours could be sawed off." It was a gruesome image, but not far from the truth, and he used it to frighten her into better judgement in the future. He left the statement hang in the air and didn't mention it further. He tucked her in under his arm a bit closer and let her rest with Elizabeth happily asleep next to her mother's skin.

Robert knew that the sleep would be important for the steamboat ride that would follow would be far more exciting and would probably afford less sleep, even if the accomodations were considerably more comfortable.

Nelly paled when he said that. In her embarrassment she had forgotten all about that possibility. She would be sure to ask for help next time. "I will ask next time." She said with a nervous tone in her voice.

At first she had trouble sleeping because of the fear of loosing her foot, but after a while the train lulled her to sleep.

Knowing they would need time to prepare, the conductor woke Robert about twenty minutes before they arrived in St. Louis and Robert gently woke Nelly. "best to feed the baby quickly. We will be getting off in twenty minutes. " He said. "Then we will have a fairly long walk from the terminal to the dock to board the river boat, so you will want her fed and secure."

Back
Top Bottom