Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Grief and Disgrace make good bedfellows ( Lady Luna and Wolvenrogue)

"I didn't lie. I said it was pretty good for "a first try" and I still think so. "

Nelly thought a moment before nodding. "Alright. I can accept that." She said before she went back to eating.

As Robert sat eating with Nelly, he realized that she really needed to get out of the house every day. Being confined as she was would wear on her. "Would you like to travel?" He asked.?

"Travel?" Nelly looked confused. "What do you mean? We can't just leave. There's your work and the baby to consider."

"You are?" Nelly asked with surprise. "Did you strike gold or something?" Even though he was older than her, she didn't think he was old enough to retire.

"20 years and out. They figure that only one in 20 live that long." So yes I am retired. Of course I can work if I want. Are you wanting me out of the house?"

Nelly shook her head. "I just figured you had animals to take care of. I thought that would be the only reason you would live way out here in the middle of nowhere."

I just like peace and quiet. That and Elizabeth's fiance was hunting her down to kill her.

"Kill? Why would he try to do that? That's just awful." Nelly shuddered at the thought. She couldn't even imagine what it would be like to be hunted down by someone who wanted to kill her.

He was evil, and bought her from her father, but Lizabeth ran away. They ambushed her stage and nearly killed her twice but when I found her I put an end to that and we my married.

"Well aren't you the gallant hero? First you save her from an evil man and now me from that horrible predicament I was in." Nelly leaned over her wheelchair to hug him. "You really are wonderful."

"Well between you two ladies you saved me e from the bottle and suicide. So who are the heros?"

Nelly shook her head. "I don't think you could have done that. Even though she passed, you still have the baby to think about. You'd be too occupied raising her to go out drinking."

The drinking came before Liz. She saved me from that. You and little Elizabeth be saved me from suicide.

"Well then I don't think you could have committed suicide because even without me you would still have baby Elizabeth. You wouldn't have left her to be raised by strangers."

"You thought she was dead? She was just sleeping in the crib because she hadn't had a chance to feed yet... but we got off topic. Back to the traveling thing. How can I travel if I'm in this wheelchair? Won't that make it hard?"

"That does sound like fun." Nelly admitted. "But you better be with me at all times if we're up on deck. With this hurt foot, I wouldn't be able to swim if I fell overboard." The thought of drowning scared her, but if he was with her, she was sure she'd be safe.

"Once there are more than one child it will be impossible. We should do it while we can. "

Alright, I think we can leave day after tomorrow.! This will certainly be fun!"

"That soon? I have so much to pack!" Nelly said, getting rather excited. "Do you have a trunk I can put things in? I will need cloths for mysef and diapers and cloths for the baby and.. well other things, but that's what I can think of at the moment."

Robert went out to the barn and returned with a large wooden chest. I was heavy even empty. He took a damp sponge and cleaned it up and set it in the corner. Robert opened it and was about to wipe it out when he saw a pink envelope with his name on it. It was written in Lizbeth's hand. Robert almost fell over, but quickly sat down and picked up and began to read.

Dearest Robert,

If you are reading this you are leaving the cabin without me. These last few days have been difficult. I bled yesterday and I am praying our baby will be born. I only pray that she is in your hands and you have found a way to raise her when I cannot. The doctor warned me this might happen and I decided that if it did I would trust you of all people on earth to see it through. Do not be afraid to take another woman, you are a good man and deserve the comfort a woman can give and our daughter (I truely believe I am carrying a little girl) will need a mother.

I love you more than ever my husband. I pray that I will burn this letter before you have to find it but if you do, Know that I trust you to do what is right and if there is another woman in our home, show her this letter so that she will know I wish her well and turn my dearest possession, my little girl over to her.

All my love to you My husband,

Love Lizbeth

Robert collapsed to the floor sobbing, holding the letter in his hand.

Back
Top Bottom