Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Grief and Disgrace make good bedfellows ( Lady Luna and Wolvenrogue)

Nelly was going through all the baby's things and getting them ready to be packed when Robert returned. She saw the chest he brought and was about to thank him when she noticed the expression on his face. When she saw the letter she guessed who must have written it. A bad feeling came over her knowing it would be hard for him to read it.Quietly she watched as he looked at the letter. It was all she could do to keep from crying when he broke into tears. She stepped beside him and laid a hand on his hand that held the letter. A felling of helplessness overcame her as she watched him, not knowing what she could do to help him.

After a few minutes Robert picked him self up off the floor. He still sobbed a moment longer and made her sit back down in her chair. "This letter is to you too. Lizbeth must have known what would happen " he handed her the letter and laid his head in her lap.

Nelly put her hand on his head as she took the letter and began to read it. The last of her composure disappeared and she began to cry. How could this woman have been so kind and understanding? She had a great respect for her after reading what she had to say. "Your wife was an amazing person." She said softly as tears ran down her cheeks.

Robert sucked in a shuddering breath and started to wipe out the trunk. "We are still going. " he said "So we better start packing. He leaned in and kissed her. "I love you so much Nelly!" He took the letter from her and finding the bible tucked inside.

"Are you sure? This house has so many memories for you." Nelly really wanted to go but didn't want to take him away because he seemed to still be grieving for his previous wife. Even though he said he loved her, she had a small doubt in her mind. How could he love her so fast after his wife just died? She couldn't understand it.

"So do trains. We spent the happiest days of our lives and a few of the scariest day on the train to St. Louis . We are going so you better pack!" he said,

Nelly smiled as she went back to packing the baby's things. When she finished that, she went to pack hers as well. It took quite a while for her to finish because of her handicap, but eventually she did get it done. As she looked down at the trunk, she noticed there was hardly any space left for Robert's cloths. Maybe she had gotten a little carried away with her packing. In attempt to make more space for his things, she began going through everything she packed to decide what she really needed and what she could do without.

"What are you doing?" he asked seeing her take out a few things. "There is plenty of room in there here is my stuff I am all packed. He set his US Army saddle bag next to the trunk. "I been living out of that for 20 years. Put that stuff back and I will close up the trunk"

Nelly was happy to see that she could keep everything she packed and quickly put it all back in. "Are you sure you don't need anything else? There's still a little space left in the trunk."

Robert went and got his dulcimer and slipped it in the trunk , and then sealed it tight and wrapped a thick leather strap around it. He shouldered the heavy trunk and took it to the wagon and covered it with a tarp.

Nelly sat by the fire while she waited for him to come back. She was really excited for the trip and thinking about all the wonderful things they might do and see.

"You should wake Elizabeth and feed her. We will take the night train and I want her to sleep if possible." He rolled the crib over beside her rocker and helped Nelly into her rocker then took the wheel chair and the carriage and loaded them in the wagon.

Nelly held Elizabeth as she fed her. She rocked in the chair as she watched the fire crackle in the fireplace. It was a really relaxing and made her want to doze off as the baby nursed.

Robert had the wagon all loaded and so as soon as the baby was back asleep they could leave for town, He rubbed Nelly's shoulders to keep her awake. would sleep on the train tonight,

Nelly looked up at Robert with a tired smile. "Mm... That feels nice." Then she looked down at the baby." I think Elizabeth is asleep now. I don't feel any suckling."

"All right then we should bundle her up and go." Robert helped her to get the baby ready and then put out the fire and carried them to the wagon. He locked up the cabin and they started off for town to meet the train.

Nelly shivered as they traveled towards town. The sun had already set which made it feel that much colder. She leaned against Robert for warmth though it didn't help much. At least the baby was bundled up good.

Robert pulled an old blanket from the wagon and wrapped it around her. It was a short trip to town and he carried her and the baby inside the station right away. She couldn't have the wheel chair on the train it went in the baggage car,

Nelly yawned when he carried her into the station. "What will happen with the horse while we're gone?"

"You stay here. I am taking him and the wagon to the livery stable till we get back. I will be back in ten minutes. "

"Alright, I'll be fine here. " Nelly told him as she sat and waited with the baby. She started to nod off a couple times so she shook her head. "Gotta stay awake." She mumbled to herself. If only she could get up and walk. She was sure that would wake her up.

Robert hurried to leave the horse and wagon at the livery and when he returned he found his wife still holding Elizabeth with her head nodding. Clearly she was up past her bedtime. He scooted in next to her and taking the sleeping baby from her he patted his lap and let her lay her head there and nap for a while they waited for the train to arrive.

Normally she would have objected to laying her head on his lap in public, but she was so tired that she accepted without hesitation. When the train arrived she was startled awake by the loud sound of the trains whistle and the sound of the baby crying. Quickly she sat up, took Elizabeth from his arms, and began rocking her. "Shh there there little one. There's nothing to be scared of."

Robert Picked her up and carried her and the baby to the platform and then on to the train. He found then seats that faced an opposing wall with no other facing seats this would give Nelly more privacy to nurse. He set her in the seat next to the window, and reaching into a small bag he had packed at the last minute, took out the nursing cape and laid it over the baby in her arms.

Nelly gladly accepted the cape and began nursing the baby to quiet her cries. Thankfully she calmed down then and nelly was able to relax. She leaned against Robert and rested her head on his shoulder. "Thank you."

Back
Top Bottom