Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Notice Post count requirement for sending/receiving PMs to be implemented

I spoke up only for the sake of others more timid than myself, and so Psyonic wouldn't be seen as just a statistical outlier.

Thank you for at least meeting in the middle. I understand well the impact harassment has, as I'm sure other GP refugees can attest. I like this forum, and don't want it tarnished by such people any more than the next person.

Internet anonymity isn't enough anymore? I'm a very introverted person, but I'm comfortable here. You've had four posts in this subject alone without introducing yourself, or talking about the things you'd rather keep private. I don't feel like the five post thing is as much of a boogyman as Psionic's post makes it out to be, but it's clear there are plenty of people who do feel it is that way. And if I'm wrong, if my point of view is as narrow as it appears, I wouldn't push my opinion further than I already have.

The very end of my response to Psionic wasn't fair, and I could just edit it out. But, an apology is more of the right thing to do. If I reread the post before hitting the reply button, I would have reconsidered it and likely left it out. It's not a fair representation, not even close and I'm sorry.

Apology accepted, it's okay. I did recognize (too late) that my initial post could possibly be misconstrued as such, which is why I added in another post earlier. All I've been trying to say is that this isn't a binary choice between "have a 5-post-minimum restriction" and "let harassers run amok"--alternatives exist.

As for "Internet anonymity isn't enough anymore?" Well, you may be surprised then. People's mental hangups manifest in any number of ways, to any number of degrees of severity. If I may, allow me to present some examples--they are a little hyperbolic when applied to the subject matter at hand here and now, but should be illustrative and educational:

Actual mental health issues are no joke. (Again, just to be clear, not saying this exactly applies to the present, but they do rest on the same spectrum). I have some myself, and have been on medication for most of my adult life to manage it, and also have been to see professional therapy. I hang out on a semi-private IRC where I have some very close friends. Several of them also have mental-health problems, but most of them don't actually have access to the healthcare they need to manage it. One is severely agoraphobic in real life; they have a hard time going outside and cannot stand -any- crowds of people at all, though in the IRC they are quite outgoing. Another friend is actually pretty much just a personal one of mine, because even in that semi-private IRC where about the same 10-or-so folks regularly hang out, and even in such a "small, cozy, uncrowded" setting, said friend never likes to speak up in the open chat and prefers to just talk to me in private-chat, and this has been this way for four years, and they STILL aren't comfortable with just the same ten people to really actually "participate" in open conversations much. In an online, "anonymous" chatroom.

I'm not trying to beat you over the head with any of this Victoff, and if you feel that way, I do apologize. I'm just trying to illustrate a point here: You can't know what someone else is dealing with in their heads until you've met them. Being someone who has mental-health problems and having friends with mental-health problems, I personally am just very quick (well, sometimes at least, sometimes my problem is how goddamned dense I can be sometimes, to people who know me very closely) to pick up on such issues with others in other settings, because of how many people aren't aware of such things. I'm not saying that all the not-publically posting people on this site all have mental-health issues. Or even that all of them are just that shy. I am only saying, whatever their reasons are, whether their reasons rational or irrational, they do have them.

Also, I appreciate the backup, @Mud . I'm pretty much doing the same thing, trying to speak up on behalf of those who can't or won't, because in this case I can. (you'd never see me standing up like this IRL, for instance.)

Time to become more active then I guess.
A shame that some people always seem to ruin it for the rest. But alas, that's also part of the internet I guess.

We've already caught one PM spammer whose activity wasn't getting reported, so there is that.

Thanks, Veks for all that you do. Although some people might not like it, it's for the benefit of all, and life's all about sometimes having to just bite the bullet, suck it up and do things we'd rather not.

I'm not entirely sure how to unlock private conversations. I can reply to people but I can't "start new conversation" as I used to be able to.

Forum user with more than three posts here that can personally confirm that at least in my circumstance, I'm capable of starting and replying private messages.

But it's entirely possible that I've made more than three posts since the change was implemented. And it's been more than 24 hours.

This literally has no impact on people who had three posts before the change.

Some people are rather confused, however.

I admit, I'm not too happy about the new rule, but it's totally understandable why it was put into place. Since I came here to roleplay with a friend who is more active here than elsewhere, I'd rather be able to avoid any drama from trolls.

Back
Top Bottom