Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Notice Post count requirement for sending/receiving PMs to be implemented

I don't personally think five posts is either too much or a difficult barrier to entry at all. Honestly, it's well-within the range of malicious folk to invent a profile, make stuff up and just fluff five posts. Especially depending on how posts count in and activity of their intro thread.

If there is even a momentary increase in activity outside of pms, it'll only mean the site looks more active. I understand it's inconvenient for those who have no interest, and any further inconvenience wouldn't be kind to them. But, five is most certainly not a lot at all. At least, in my opinion.

The time barriers to entry seem like they'd do a little more to wade off nutters from harassing people on the site.

All in all, that's my perspective.

Curious, does this apply to users like myself who've been here for a little bit and have been rping through messages but not really posting in threads?

This post will get me up to 5 anyways

I only log into this site to post in private - I hardly ever post in public? I have had account since 2015 and now I get punished, by the new standards?

Honestly, I think the 24 hour wait will curb malicious people more than the 5-post limit. Gives them time to reflect and feel like an idiot.

Mostly it's to force them and spammers to get noticed.

Though people with thousands of PM's fretting about making five posts is something

Mostly it's to force them and spammers to get noticed.

Though people with thousands of PM's fretting about making five posts is something
Aaaand this is why I was of the opinion 5 posts was a biiit much even if such folks are still able to receive and reply to Conversations, but not start new ones...there are a lot of people around who -do not want- any public presence at all, for any number of personal reasons, but usually all boiling down to being uncomfortable about it. And now, for these people, to have it shoved in their faces that they suddenly are -forced- to -make- a public presence for themselves has got to be making them really freaking uncomfortable. :(

Yeah, like, the two people above me right now, case in point. I don't know what their reasons are for not wanting to actually divulge anything about themselves publically. I don't need to know. I empathize with introverts because, while I might seem a bit more outgoing here, I am very much one IRL myself.

For people like this, and like me, being dragged out in the open not on our own initiative just makes us want to clam up harder. It's a much bigger deal than anyone trying to pass this off as "a small, not-difficult thing" thinks it is. :(

Aaaand this is why I was of the opinion 5 posts was a biiit much even if such folks are still able to receive and reply to Conversations, but not start new ones...there are a lot of people around who -do not want- any public presence at all, for any number of personal reasons, but usually all boiling down to being uncomfortable about it. And now, for these people, to have it shoved in their faces that they suddenly are -forced- to -make- a public presence for themselves has got to be making them really freaking uncomfortable. :(

Yeah, like, the two people above me right now, case in point. I don't know what their reasons are for not wanting to actually divulge anything about themselves publically. I don't need to know. I empathize with introverts because, while I might seem a bit more outgoing here, I am very much one IRL myself.

For people like this, and like me, being dragged out in the open not on our own initiative just makes us want to clam up harder. It's a much bigger deal than anyone trying to pass this off as "a small, not-difficult thing" thinks it is. :(

I agree with this and I don't think this policy is going to accomplish what people are thinking it'll accomplish.

All it will do is scare people off or encourage spam posts to meet that arbitrary amount. Just on this thread alone, I see new members making spam posts to reach the magic post count.

Though also I want to add that needing to wait 24 hours before being able to start conversations, on the other hand, is a perfectly fine and reasonable restriction. And if the post-requirement were just 1, 2, or maybe 3, that'd probably be fine too. I do recognize and fully agree with the need for measures to stop PM-spammers. You've done wonderful work here Vek, and you continue to put so much effort into this site and you don't get thanked enough for it, so, thank you.

I am just of the opinion that 5 posts, just that one requirement, is just a few steps too far.

Back
Top Bottom