Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Is He A Lover or A Fighter? (Part 4) WF+GF

Adri felt Jake moving a little more and watched him with a frown. He was usually a really deep sleeper and didn’t move very much. He wasn’t flailing around but she could see his hand clenching under the blanket. She put her hand on his chest and shook him gently to wake him up.

When he shot up, she shot up with him and put her hands on his back, “Woah. Hey. Calm down. Breathe.” She breathed in and out until he copied her.

“He’s fine. He’s still sleeping.” She said softly and kept rubbing his back. “He’s okay, Boo.” She assured him.

“You want to talk about it?” She asked but didn’t want to pressure him.

Jake felt her touch his back and he flinched until he knew it was Adri and he listened to her, trying to breathe like she told him to.

He looked in her direction. "You're sure? He's okay?" He asked her before looking at her. A fear in his eyes like never before.

He looked away and just tried to breathe a moment. "Do we have anything to drink up here?" He asked softly.

“I’m sure he’s fine. He’s asleep Boo. What’s wrong?” She asked and rubbed his arm.

She looked for a cup or bottle of water and shook her head. She got out of the bed and put on his sweatshirt and went downstairs to get two bottles of water. She checked on Owen and then went back to the bedroom.

She opened the bottle for him and handed it over sitting on the edge of the bed she put a reassuring hand on his thigh and watched him settle.

By the time she came back up with water he was breathing more normally. "Thanks..." He told her, taking the bottle.

He chugged almost the whole thing before putting it on the stand.

His hand ran over his face. "That was so fucked up..." He shook his head and kept blinking his eyes almost to try to get what he saw in the dream out of his head. He turned and hugged Adri tight.

Adri kept watching him while he drank and rubbed his face. She didn’t know what to do to make him feel better.

She hugged him back tighter than he hugged her and rubbed his back. She kissed his neck and cheek and pulled back, “It wasn’t real.” She told him and pushed his hair off his forehead. “It was a bad dream. I checked on Owen, he’s still out. Everyone is fine.” She said softly.

“Everyone but you.” She held his hands. “Do you want to tell me what happened?” She asked.

When she pulled back and he told her it wasn't real, he had tears in his eyes but nodded. "It felt so real babe...." He told her softly. "I couldn't stop him..." His eyes moved to the side and shook his head.

"Will you just...lay with me for bit?" He asked softly.

Jake needed more time before he could talk about it. It was still making his heart race a bit. She said everyone was okay and that's what he cared about. If that house could trigger that type of dream...what else could it trigger. He felt so stupid that it let it get to him.

“Baby.” She hugged him again when she saw the tears in his eyes and rubbed his back.

He wanted to lay down, so that’s what they did. She held him and hugged him and kissed him until he was comfortable. She wasn’t going to ask him to talk about it again. He was struggling enough as it was and she wasn't going to make him relive his nightmare.

It felt weird being the big spoon since he was so big so she moved around so his head on in her lap and she stroked his cheek and ran her fingers through hair. Humming softly to get him really calm.

He closed his eyes and snuggled into her. Everything she was doing was calming him and helping. He was so grateful she was there. If she wasn't, he didn't know how he would have reacted.

They laid together for what seemed like hours but was only a half hour before he started to feel better. He just stared off for awhile.

"It was my step dad." He said softly almost in a whisper. "He beat the shit out of me so bad I couldn't move but could see what he was doing. He then after Amy...." he said, almost seeming numb. "Then he made comments to you...awful worse than he actually said to you." He wrapped his arms around her and held her close and tight to him. "Then he went to find Owen...I couldn't move. It was like...I got beat up in the cage and no matter how much everyone was yelling at me to get up because I had to get to Owen..." His eyes teared up again.

She thought it had something to do with the house. She kept rubbing his back as he spoke and rubbed her lips together. “I don’t think we should go back there.” She said softly.

Tearing it down was t going to help. The memories were still in his mind. The only way for him to get better was to get help from a professional. She hated his stepfather and everything that monster put him through. She only met the man once and that was too much. He was pure evil a stain on the world.

“You don’t have to talk about it Boo.” She told him. She wanted to be there for him but she wasn’t sure if she wanted to hear what happened to him. In his real life or in his dreams.

Her phone started to buzz letting her know Owen was moving around. It was about time for his nap to be over. “You want me to ask my mom to take O?” She asked. “We can stay up here until you feel better. Or all night. Or whatever you want to do.”

He was glad she said he didn't have to talk about it because he didn't want to go into detail. Not then anyway. He let out a breath. He snuggled into her again.

Jake shook his head a moment. "Not yet. I'll go get him." He needed to see his son for himself and hold him. Slowly he got up and let out a breath and went to get Owen.

Walking into his room, he smiled at him. "Hi big boy! Did you have a good nap? I sure as hell hope it was better than daddy's." He put his hands out for him. "Want to get your booty changed?" After he changed his diaper, he picked him up and held him close and rubbed his back. Owen was still a little tired and waking up so he was okay with cuddles.

She watched him leave to get Owen and watched them through the baby monitor on her phone. Just to make sure he was really okay.

When it looked like Jake was normal again, she looked through her emails because she felt the phone buzz when she was hold Jake. She wanted to finish the conversation with her agent so he could get the proper details in place so she could start working soon.

She checked the baby monitor again and watched Jake holding Owen. When she saw them leave the room she flipped her phone to Instagram and scrolled through the new posts.

The Rock posted a picture of his cheat meal and Adri liked it and posted the double eyes emoji and tagged Jake.

Jake snuggled his son for awhile. He wanted to tell him he would always protect him and he'd never feel pain like he had but he couldn't promise that. He could promise he would move mountains to try to keep him safe.

He brought Owen back to their bedroom and at on the bed with him. Owen saw Adri and his face lit up, "Mama!" He crawled over to her and nuzzled into her.

As Owen snuggled Adri, Jake smiled a little. "Do you think your mom or my dad would watch him for a little bit?" He asked her, smoothing Owen's hair back.

“Hi baby boo!” Adri smiled and set her phone in her lap so she could hug Owen. “Did you have a good nap?” She asked him and kissed his neck.

“I’m sure they would.” She told Jake and held Owen a little bit longer. “Should they keep him for the rest of the night?” Slowly got out of bed and bounced Owen which made him giggle and laugh. “You wanna Grandma and pop pop?” She asked.

“Let’s give Daddy a kiss first.” She walked over to Jake and gave him a kiss on the cheek and Owen copied her. She kissed Jake again and they took turns kissing Jake until he had his fill of loving.

He smiled. "Nap!" He told her. Which meant it was a good nap.

Jake checked the time. "Uh...possibly. I mean, I may go down to eat dinner but I just...I need a bit. " He ran his head over his face and then through his hair.

He smiled at Adri when they were giving he a lot of kisses. It was definitely making him feel better. Jake grabbed Owen and attacked his cheek with kisses before giving him a good one on his lips. "Have fun with grandma and pop buddy."

Jake laid back down, feeling bad he was pushing his kid off on someone else but he wasn't in the best mindset at the time and he felt self conscious about it. It definitely was something he needed to talk to a therapist about.

Adri went downstairs and set Owen down on the floor. Eileen was in the living room and smiled when Owen can crashing in. “Where is everybody?” She asked.

“John and your father are out back. Your mother went to her room to lay down. Luke and Amy haven’t come down yet.” Eileen answered and watched Owen play.

Adri looked at Owen and Eileen. A part of her wanted to go back to Jake and leave Owen here because she knew with this many adults in the house Eileen couldn’t do anything to him but she didn’t trust her with him.

She went to the back and looked for the father’s. They were sitting looking out at the snow covered trees, drinking cider or coffee or something to keep them warm.

Adri stepped out and closed the door. “Where are you pants?” Her father immediately asked and scolded.

“I have to go back upstairs to Jake. Owen isn’t dressed to come outside. Will you please watch him? Please?”

“Isn’t Eileen in the house?” Her father asked confused.

“Dad, I can explain later. But please?”

John seemed to understand and rubbed his hands together. “I think I’m getting cold myself. Why don’t we take this inside? Watch a game or something?” He smiled at Adri and rushed back in the house because she was freezing and zipped right up the stairs once she knew John had Owen.

She jumped into the bed and put her feet under the covers. “Jesus it’s cold outside. I can’t feel my toes.” She wiggled them under the blanket and breathed into her hands. “Dads have O.”

His mind raced when she left. He wondered what all his mother did know. It made him angrier at her.

He also thought about some specific situations where he was abusive. Jake wondered if Amy was struggling like he was. Who knew a memory could get him so messed up. Was nightmares something she struggled from regularly? He had had them a few times before but it had been so long.

When she arrived in their room, he tried to play it cool. "I should have went round 2..." He told her and forced a smile.

Adri smiled and got up to give him a hug. She kissed the back of his head and rubbed his chest. “You were tired. I don’t blame you for wanting to sleep.” She told him.

“We can do round two later.” She kissed his shoulder and rubbed his arms.

“What do you want to do?” She asked. “Our Dad’s have Owen. Luke and Amy are still in their room. Your mom’s watching TV. Mine is probably packing.” She told him. “We can watch a movie or Ican make us a drink and we can get drunk. We can do whatever you want.”

Jake just sat there a minute thinking. It was probably a good thing he didn't go downstairs because he had a lot of pent up anger for his mother since going to the house and the dream. He really hated how it made him feel.

"I hate feeling this way." He said softly and shrugged. "I don't know...I don't know what I want to do. I really can't process or think right now. I don't want to drink. I need to feel in control right now." He told her.

"Maybe a movie? Something funny?"

She grabbed her phone to find something funny they could watch. “Anna Kendrick?” She asked because she knew he loved her.

“Mike and Dave need Wedding Dates? Or Noelle, that’s a Christmas movie. Into the Woods is good.” She offered. If he let her pick she would go with Into the Woods because hopefully a song would get stuck in his head and he would think of that instead of what was on his mind now.

She started the movie and went downstairs to get some popcorn, water, hot chocolate, sweets and put it all on a tray and took it upstairs. She set it on the nightstand and got back in bed next to Jake.

“Okay. There we go.” She covered their legs with the blanket and held him while they watched the movie.

He loved her for picking an Anna Kendrick movie since she knew he loved her. He snuck a quick kiss.

Jake's thought of a fun movie wasn't the same as her's. "Mike and Dave. I need something stupid that I don't have to think." He told her. Once she turned it on, he looked at her when she got up to leave. "Where you going?" It was almost like he didn't want her to go, but he let her.

He sat between her legs, also under the blanket, leaning his back against her chest. As he watched the movie, he ate some popcorn and drank water. He kept one of her hands in his.

“Mike and Dave it is.” She told and put the movie on. This way they both got to enjoy it. He got Anna, she got Zac Efron. “I’ll be right back.” She promised and was gone maybe five minutes, so she missed the beginning on the movie.

She stroked his hair back out of his face while the movie played. She ate a brownie and watched Jake more than she watched the movie. He wasn’t okay. She knew he wasn’t and she didn’t know how to help.

She wiped her eyes, glad to be hind him so he didn’t see her tears. She felt so bad for him. She kissed the top of his head and tried to be strong.

Yes the pain from the past was hard. The times that they were abused was hard. But what got him the most was when it had to do with the people he loved most in the dream and not being able to protect them. When he fought, if he got his ass kicked, it was only him that really lost and suffered, not his son, sister, or Adri. It may be hard seeing him get beat up but she knew he'd be okay.

The dream felt so real to him it took a bit of time to tell himself it wasn't His stepfather was dead. His loved ones were safe. The guy couldn't hurt any of them the way he was dreaming that he was.

After a bit, he laid his head back on her shoulder. "I love you." He told her and kissed her hand but refused to let it go. He was slowly getting a little closer to himself but still not a hundred percent.

Adri kept using her free hand to rub his hair back and help keep him calm. She wondered if nightmares would be something that always haunted him. She knew his childhood was traumatic, it could be a sign of PTSD. She wasn’t sure she didn’t know the signs if it.

“I love you more.” She told him and squeezed his hand.

She looked at her phone and stopped rubbing his head, so she could answer her emails again. The conversation was wrapping up so it shouldn’t be much longer on her phone and then the rest of the night would be Jake’s.

Jake too was wondering if this was a one time thing or a form of PTSD. It meant to him that he needed to get with a therapist a little sooner than later.

When she grabbed her phone, he let his hand go incase she needed to use it. "What are you doing?" He asked looking back at her and her phone. "Everything okay?" He asked.

"Do you know anyone who may know any good therapists? For me to talk to?" He asked softly.

“It’s nothing Boo. I just want to get it finished tonight. Solidifying my Fashion Week schedule. And the bridal shows.” She told him. He could have kept her hand but she didn’t reply much faster with both hands rather than typing with one.

“I can ask my therapist if he knows someone that can help with family trauma.” She offered. “He’s going to want to know more about what kind of help you’re looking for or feel like you need.”

She set her phone down, “I can give you his phone number tomorrow. You can call him and he’ll give you a list of people you can choose from. You can go through them all and pick one you think fits.”

Back
Top Bottom