Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Is He A Lover or A Fighter? (Part 4) WF+GF

Jake looked at her confused. "Debbie Reynolds? You would." He shook his head. "I bet your brothers wanted to be MJ." He smiled. "Maybe I should have said most boys in the 90s wanted to be Michael Jordan. Plus he is the biggest legend to be on the basketball court."

They said bye to her brothers. It was nice having all of them there, well minus Drew and Stacy. The others were a lot of fun and they got along pretty great. "See you back in Vegas boys." Jake told them.

Amy found a spot to snuggle in the back to go along. She was nervous, but needed to go. Jake drove them with some music on low. Owen was in the back just talking away about cars and snow. John was talking to him about it all. Jake held Adri's hand as they drove. "Are you taping?"

“Hey! She is a legend. My mother has all of her remastered classics. LouLou’s is the absolute best! I’ll have to show you that one day.” She smiled.

“I can tape a bit. I just need my videographer and producer and director credit.” She teased. She kissed the back of his hand.

“I want some of that too.” Luke added in and Adri rolled her eyes.

“You have a team of talent behind you Boo. We can do whatever you need.” She smiled. She listened to Owen talking to his Papa and smiled at how cute it was.she recorded a video for Instagram and when Owen saw the camera he stopped and smiled for the camera.

He smiled. "I can't wait." He gave her a kiss on the cheek. "We will have to rewatch Jordan's championship games then."

"I can and will give credit where it is due." He told her in agreement. "Or anyone else who tapes." He said back to Luke.

Jake laughed, "He's totally your kid. Showing off for the camera. Posing." He rolled his eyes and shook his head. "Big mama's boy."

“On second thought...we absolutely do not have to do watch any classic movies ever.” She laughed. “Except Casablanca! You have to see that at least once.” She smiled.

“I didn’t know I rubbed off on him that much.” She said innocently and shrugged her shoulder. “As long he doesn’t start having meltdowns over what he is wearing he will always be my golden boy.”

She tickled Owen’s leg and filmed the ride on the way to the house. She turned the camera to Jake, “How are you feeling?” She asked him. “Nervous? Anxious? Excited?” She prompted. When she had his answer she turned the camera to the back, “Everyone introduce yourself.” She said and went from Luke to John to Amy to Owen and then filmed herself making sure to note that she was the Producer, Director, Videographer of the affair to make Jake smile.

"I've seen it." He told her with a smile. "We'll always have Paris." Jake hoped that impressed her a bit.

He rolled his eyes. "Oh he probably will. He will get hot then cold." He chuckled and shrugged.

Jake focused on the rode when she turned the camera onto him. He let out a breath. "Um exccited to get this project started for sure. But...a little...nervous I guess to go back to where it all started. The place that put a fire in me to kick some butt." He told her. Everyone said their names and how they knew or was related to Jake.

Adri smiled when he quoted the movie, “We totally have to recreate that one day. When we’re bored.” She smiled.

“Well he will get over it when we are outside and when we are inside he can take his coat off.” She said simply.

“What are you hoping to get out of this experience?” She asked. She had done her research while she was cooking about questions to ask him and they were all written on a scrap piece of wrapping paper since that was all she could find.

He smiled and laughed. "When are we bored babe?" He kissed her hand.

Owen seemed happy though and had no idea what they were doing or where they were going but he didn't care. He was having fun with Papa John and Luke. He was chilling like one of the boys.

"Going on this journey of where I came from and how I became champion of the world is a story I want to show other people that you can come from some hard times and still kick butt and beat everyone who thought you couldn't do it. I want someone to watch this and know that they can accomplish their dreams too, no matter what stands in their way." He told her. "Now for the first stop," He sighed. "I'm ready to close a chapter. I'm ready to put that part of my past behind me and move on. I think it's weighed myself and Amy down. I have a lot of regrets with how I handled it but I did what I felt I had to do." He explained.

“It doesn’t matter. We are recording it. Now that I know you have seen it, we have too. Such an iconic scene of movie history. I wouldn’t have many lines though. But that’s fine. You be romantic and save my life while you risk yours.” She sighed dreamily.

When they pulled up to Jake and Amy’s childhood home she recorded the house. She filmed Jake getting out of the car and walking up to it, trying to keep the camera on his face so she could get his first general reactions.

“do you want to talk out here or do you want to go inside?” She asked. She looked back at the car when she heard John and Owen talking. She didn’t want Owen outside too long and she knew he would easily go back into the car seat. “Should have brought tablet.” She said apologetically, hoping that didn’t come back and bite them in the ass.

He chuckled. "Isn't that what I do anyway?" He asked teasing and chuckled. "You're too cute."

Jake looked at the house. "We can go in. It's cold. I don't want you to freeze." He smiled and gave her cheek a kiss.

He thought a moment. "Can come in. He's not going to know or understand. It's okay." He told her and motioned for his dad to come on in with them. Luke and Amy got out. It seemed Amy was struggling more than Jake, Jake picked up on it. "You okay?" He asked her and she nodded.

They unlocked the door and went inside. He looked around the place. It was clear no one had been living there. "So this is the living room. I can't speak for Amy but, I tried to dodge this room a lot because that's where my step father was most of the time when he was home. And the more you were in the same room as him, the more you seemed to piss him off and he would fly off the handle. He was an abusive alcoholic. The fridge at times had more alcohol in it then food for us. He was not a good guy by any means. I didn't know if I even wanted Owen in this house because of the vibes in this place."

He looked at Amy to see how she was doing.

Adri kept the camera on Jake, but was always aware of where Owen was and who had him or what he was doing. When they got into the house, there was a cold feeling about it. Owen, who usually loved new places, wanted to cling and hide behind to Jake’s leg but settled with being in Luke’s arms.

Amy was clearly uncomfortable and kept rubbing her belly. In her mind she was telling her child he would never experience what she and Jake went though, but she wasn’t saying anything out loud. She was listening to Jake.

It was the first time they were in the house since his stepfather died. Adri had been here once before but mostly stayed in the sitting room and kitchen. She never got the chance to really look at the place. While Jake thought about what he wanted to talk about, she recorded the pictures on the wall, and the furniture. She found a picture of Jake when he was Owen’s age and opened her mouth.

“Oh my god.” She said softly. “That boy is 100 percent your son. Look at this picture.” She said and showed Jake the picture of himself. “That’s insane.”

Jake could feel the cold feeling and it wasn't because it was December in Denver. It was the evil that the walls had seen throughout the years. The hate and filth that once lived there.

When Adri called him over, he walked over and smiled a little. "I think it shows I couldn't deny that handsome boy if I wanted to." He chuckled. "I was a pretty good looking kid." John looked at the pictures himself, not seeing so me of them before. Amy had a few pictures hung up as well. There was one photo of the two of them with their arms around each other from when they were kids. "That's one of my favorite pictures of us. We looked happy. We were on vacation with just our mom." He smiled a little.

He looked at Adri. "Want to see my old room?"

“We can take it and make a copy of it. For the both of you.” She told him. She was sure his mother wouldn’t mind. They would put the original photo back. ”I want this one.” She said pointing at baby Jake. “Even though I have a real version.” She smiled at Owen and then smiled at Jake.

She nodded her head to seeing his room and followed him upstairs. She stayed at the top when she heard Owen talking to make sure he wasn’t about to cry but he was talking to Luke and pointing out pictures.

There were a few pictures on the wall upstairs. Some of Jake and Amy and a few of his mother and stepfather.

"I like that idea. Take the one of me too, we can make a copy of those." He told her. "Mom won't mind. She actually may want them to put up at her new place. Or Vegas." He shrugged.

He pointed to which room was Amy's, his mom's and then his. He opened the door and went in. It definitely looked like a teenage boy's room. It had sports pictures on the wall. A few of his own wrestling and sports photos. Of course there were a few posters of Sports Illustrated models. Jake smiled a little. "Baby now I have my own Sports Illustrated model!" He gave her a kiss.

It was a small room but Jake had made it his own with red and black bedding and curtains. "This was my safe place. I did my homework here. I would do what I could to exercise up here."

“Aw look at you in high school. So cute Boo.” She smiled and filmed his room. She rolled her eyes at the Sports Illustrated models on the wall. “I’m glad you made that a reality.” She laughed.

She set her camera down and wrapped her arms around Jake. “Did you ever get to sneak any girls up here?” She teased and kissed his cheek.

“how are you doing Boo? Actually inside and looking around. You feeling okay emotionally? Mentally?”

"I had way too much hair in high school, ugh." He chuckled and shook his head. "I am just one lucky guy that you happened to go back into modeling and then of course they pick you for the good stuff cause my girl is hot." He smiled. "People are going to think we are super gross and cheesy and I don't know if I care."

Jake smiled and wrapped his arms around her. "Baby do you really want to know that?" He asked asked raising an eyebrow. "I snuck a girl up here a couple times. But to be honest I was always a little nervous to." He told her and gave her a quick kiss.

He gave a nod. "I'm okay. I appreciate you asking. Do you feel the vibe in here though?"

“Says the guy about to grow out his hair and add a beard.” She laughed. “You looked cute.” She said and studied the picture. She rubbed his cheeks, “You’re going too look good with a beard.” She kissed him on the lips and cheek.

“I do.” She nodded her head head when he told her. “I know why you were nervous.” She said softly. She rubbed his back and smiled at him.

“I do feel it. It’s cold. And it might be the draft from the windows but I don’t think it is. I don’t like it. Let finish filming and get out of here.The next place will be better. I don’t remember where we are going next but I’m guessing it will be better.” She smiled at him and squeezed his butt.

“Good choice of sweatpants by the way. I got some good footage of your butt while you were walking to the truck.” She teased.

"I will grow it out and it will look better than that. Plus you won't let me have it look bad. You wouldn't me be out in public with you." He teased and kissed her. "You think?" He asked pushing his cheeks out towards her. "I'll look good?"

He smiled a little. "One time, he was passed out downstairs, there was this girl I really liked. Like really liked and I really wanted to spend time with her. She wanted to watch a movie and hang out, so I brought her over and snuck her in. My mom got off work early, came home and came up to my room." He chuckled and shook his head. "I pushed her on the floor so my mom wouldn't see her." He laughed and covered his face.

"School and then the gym. Any place is better than here." He told her. "It's not a window." He looked around.

"Babe we can't use that. That's your own personal stash." He told her.

After a few minutes of him looking around, he pointed to the camera. "Pick that up." When she had it on him he looked at her. "I want to knock this place down. I want to bury all that shit that came with this place. My step father was a drunk piece of shit who did what he wanted. His list of abuse is endless. That vibe, I don't want it carrying over to someone who buys this house. I don't want it trapped here. I don't want it hovering over our family or another family. I'm knocking it down. I'm building something good here. That's my promise. If my mom will let me buy it from her...." He smiled.

Once they were done, they headed downstairs where Amy was struggling and he gave her a side hug. Luke watched them a moment. "People may question why you stuck around or never told anyone to get out of the bad situation you were in...what would you tell them."

Jake looked at Amy and then Luke, "I did leave. I got out after graduation. I left my little sister here. Which I never should have done. I regret it. But telling someone didn't seem possible. This guy was manipulative and a narcissist. I was afraid of what would happen if I told anyone. I didn't want to risk that. He wouldn't have went after me. He would have went after her..." He said softly. "But I learned to fight, I started to fight back and it tended to get better. So I thought I was beating him, little did I know..."

“You’ll look good with a beard.” She smiled. “We just have to keep it clean. But it is going to be difficult to sit on your face with a bunch of hair in the way.” She made a face as she discovered the downside of him having a beard. “We will see how this works out.” She sighed.

Adri picked up the camera and pointed it at him. She made sure it was rolling and then nodded her head. She smiled as he spoke and nodded her head, they were buying his mother’s house.

She kept the camera rolling on Jake as they went downstairs. She filmed him hugging Amy and then Luke when he started speaking.

“What happened Jake?” Adri asked when he trailed off. “What did he do?”

He gave her a look. "Really Adriana? You think that a little hair on my face is going to stand in the way of that?!" He shook his head no. "Just you wait. I'll be just fine."

Jake looked at her and then looked at Amy before looking at the camera. "I think he was afraid of me. Even though he denied it, I think he knew I was getting bigger and stronger. He backed off. I thought I was getting him to stop. I thought I was winning in a way. Instead he just moved onto hurting my sister." He shook his head. "I should have known that or saw the signs. I didn't. I think I just had my sight on getting the hell out of here." He told her.

He looked at Amy. "I know we've talked about it, but I still feel awful about it. I feel so responsible. I should have brought you with me when I left. I'm sorry."

John picked Owen up as he listened to Jake. "Son, It's not your fault. My actions put your mother in the position she was in to meet that guy. If anyone is to blame it's me."

“How big is this beard going to be? Because it might. It’s not you I’m worried about. You said it would be scratchy at some point.”

Adri looked at Luke and wondered if he was feeling the same thing she was feeling. Like they shouldn’t be here. This is something the family should go through together. Yet here they were listening to their darkest secrets. It felt odd.

Adri had the camera on Jake while he was talking and then moved to Amy and John. She flipped it back to Jake. ”what’s one thing you remember the most about being here?” She asked. “Good or bad?”

Jake just looked at her a moment. "Have none of your exes grown facial hair?" He asked. "It's scratchy at first. Then it will be soft. Just trust me. It won't be too long. It will be well trimmed and tamed, don't you worry.

Something he remembered most...There was the the constant smell of alcohol. The constant fear. Sometimes the smell of blood. But honestly the first thought was, a good memory. "Saturday morning cartoons with this one." Jake smiled at Amy. "We had these metal mixing bowls, I would grab the small and medium size and we'd fill them with whatever cereal we had. Cereal was cheap and we always had it. Sometimes we used coffee creamer instead of milk..." he chuckled.

"Or orange juice." Amy smiled and giggled. "We'd get up early and sit on the couch or floor and just laugh..."

"Our weekly dates. It didn't matter if I had gym time or work, never skipped a Saturday."

She shook her head, “No. Facial hair wasn’t really popular back when I was dating other people.” She rubbed his cheeks. “I’m a little worried but I’ll trust you.” She smiled.

Adri smiled at his answer and nodded her head, she liked that answer. In her little happy place she liked to imagine Jake and Amy being happy and carefree on Saturday mornings. “That’s really sweet.” She told him and thought about it.

She bit her bottom lip and looked at Jake. Her producer hat was on next and she had to ask about the worst memory. They needed to know the good, bad and ugly. She didn’t want to push him too much though.

“Worst memory?” She asked softly, almost hoping he wouldn’t hear her.

"If it becomes an issue, I'll shave it. The beautiful thing of it being just hair. We just will figure it out." He told her and kissed hand.

The worst...his smile faded. He had to really think about what was the worst. There were so many to try to figure out. His worst probably wasn't the worst for Amy, so he went with his. "Are you sure you want to hear it?" He asked.

"I played football. We had a game the next day and I went out with the guys to this pasta dinner we always had for the team. Well I didn't get home in time to get chores done. My stepdad had been how for hours and drinking. He had a shit day at work. I came in the door. It was like when you see in the movies when someone walks in and gets grabbed and tossed against the wall. Then he picked me up to throw me against the coffee table. Which I shattered with my head. Then he grabbed me and just started hitting me, kicking me." He said softly, looking at the floor where the coffee table used to be by the couch. "He didn't stop until I wasn't moving. I missed school for a week. I missed the game."

Amy kept rubbing her stomach. "I remember that. I was so afraid to help you...I was afraid I was next..."

Jake gave a nod. "I'm glad you didn't help. Because he probably would have went to you next."

"I can't pick a single time that was the worst besides every time after Jake left...The abuse changed when he left. It went from physical to him sneaking into my room...I really don't want to share more than that. I can't...I'm sorry." She said and blinked back tears. Luke hugged her tightly.

Adri listened to him and tried to keep a brave face on but she could feel Jake’s pain and she wanted to give him a hug. They grew up in drastically different circumstances and she hated that he had to go through that. If she could go back and save him she would. Save him and Amy she would do it in a heartbeat.

She put the camera down when Amy started to cry and she walked to Jake and gave him a tight hug. “I love you Boo.” She said softly and squeezed him tighter. “I love you so much.” She wiped her tears away quickly and looked up at him.

“Is there any more you want to say here or do you want to go to the next place?” She asked.

Jake knew that if Adri knew him back then, things would have been different, but his situation lead him to her so it was okay. That was the good that came from the bad. The same with Amy and Luke. They both overcame the abuse to be better people with great families of their own.

He wrapped his arms around Adriana and hugged her tightly. "I love you too." When she wiped her tears, he put his hands on her cheeks and smiled a little. "I'm okay....It got me to you." He said softly before kissing her.

"Yeah, I do have something to say." He told his dad to take Owen outside. Once he was out of hearing rance and Adri had the camera up. "Fuck this house. Fuck the vibe here. Fuck the abuse that happened her. I'm tearing this fucker down and will enjoy watching the wood burn. Hell we will make s'mores." He smiled a little and Amy couldn't help but giggle. "But I'm taking my Sports Illustrated Swimsuit posters first." Jake didn't care if they used that bit or not but he said it and it felt good to say it. "I will build something good here. Like a gym or rec center."

After a moment he looked around and looked at the chair that his stepfather sat in all the time. "The first thing to burn is going to be that fucking ugly ass chair." He looked at Adri, "Let's go."

Back
Top Bottom