Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Is He A Lover or A Fighter? (Part 4) WF+GF

"That's when people do it back home too. I've thought about planting things but I'm not sure what will grow well in Vegas." He explained. "But I like knowing what's in my food or on it."

Jake nodded to trying on what she needed him to. "I can do that."

He just looked at her and shrugged. "No idea what you said." But as he said that and the few bites of cracker, he started to get nauseous and a bit dizzy. He rested his head back and handed the cracker to her.

He sat there a bit hoping it would pass but it started to feel like a horrible migraine. Jake didn't say anything and rested his head on her shoulder.

“We are going to need a green house Boo. Nothing is going to grow in that soil. And with water constraints during the summer, I don’t know how efficient your garden will be. I think it would be nice for you and Owen to try though. Teach him about growing stuff. We might have a little farmer on our hands.” She smiled.

Adri smiled when he passed the cracker off, “Never mind. He can sleep with me.” She told her grandmother and ate his cracker. “Yum.” She rubbed his thigh and looked at him.

“You okay? Time change hitting you?” She asked. “You can go to bed if you want. I might follow you up.” She yawned. Her grandparents would be heading up around eight and it was seven now.

"We should try some small stuff. We can always get gallon water to water and stuff." He told her and watched Owen.

Jake shook his head. "My head just hurts a bit. I'll be okay. Maybe just did too much today. Normally I take it easy the day after a fight." He put his hand on her leg and didn't get up.

"I just want to cuddle with you baby. My stomach kinda is iffy."

Adri frowned when he said his head hurt and his stomach didn’t feel good. After being his assistant and on the watch for issues that could be concussion related, she knew the signs off the top of her head. He was hit really hard yesterday night and she didn’t take him to the hospital because she was tired. She wasn’t making that mistake again.

“Can you watch Owen for us?” She asked her grandparents. Owen was asleep. He wouldn’t be up until the next morning most likely. “If he gets up, just lay with him and rub his back. I’ll call Janice and Liam and have them come up.” She told them. “Can I borrow your car?” She asked and instantly there were tons of questions in German and English and Adri explained in German because it was faster.

“Come on Jake.” She said and went to the kitchen to hand him a pack of crackers and a small trash can just in case. No one wanted to clean vomit.

“We are going to get you to a clinic to make sure you don’t have a concussion or brain bleed or whatever else could be happening. No arguments. You didn’t go last night, you’re going tonight.”

She pulled out her phone and sent a text to Liam and Janice to get them to come back to Germany. Luckily they were left in Prague to go on vacation and do what they wanted. They would owe them something special later for interrupting their time off now.

Then she looked for directions to the closest hospital. They would need the big hospital that had an mri scanner rather than a clinic that would send him to a bigger hospital.

Jake didn't even try to argue. He didn't feel up to fighting her on it. When she got up, he didn't move. When she told him to go with her he shook his head. "Give me a minute..." He told her softly. "It's in waves." Jake leaned forward a bit like he was going to stand up but waited a moment before getting up and he first went into the bathroom due to the nausea. Luckily it was just that.

When he came out, he grabbed his wallet and passport. "Okay... Are you sure Owen's okay here?" He asked her softly. Not that her didn't trust her grandparents. Owen could be a handful and they were a lot older than their parents. He didn't want them to overdo it cause of him.

Once they were in the car, Jake leaned his back and looked at her. "I'm sorry..."

“Don’t shake your head, you’re going to make yourself dizzy and sick. When you feel like you’re about to throw up, hum.“ She told him. “It works. For a little bit at least. If you really have to throw up, it’s going to come up, but if it’s just naus it will go away.“

She nodded, “Owen is fine. If they need help, they have someone they can call until Janice and Liam get here. Now please get in the car.“

Adri looked at him for a second and rubbed his leg, “I’m sorry I didn’t take you last night. I should have.“ She said softly. She got the directions pulled up and then they were on their way. Jake had his bucket if he was sick and crackers to put something in his stomach and try to make it settle. She forgot to grab him a bottle of water but she could one when they got their.

“We will be there soon. Just lean back and relax. Close your eyes but don’t go to sleep. You know the drill.“ She sighed.

Jake said okay softly about Owen and her grandparents. In the car he kept the trash can on the floor of the car. He couldn't eat anything. "I really think I'm okay babe..." He told her. "It will eventually pass. I'm not upset you didn't take me last night. It would have ruined your plans..."

He put the seat back and closed his eyes. It felt just like a migraine to him. His hand rested on her leg. He hoped it all would pass soon. Jake wished she could have stayed with her grandparents and rest. But the language barrier was rough.

It was hard not to wonder with how bad of a hit it was, that something more serious was going on. But he hoped that wasn't the case cause Adri needed to not be stressed. "I'm okay baby...."

“Plans change. I could have changed mine.” She told him. “You’re more important.”

She shhed him when he said he was fine when he clearly wasn’t fine. All the media outlets said it was a bad hit. They were so bad that Jake told her not to read the articles and she didn’t. But she witnessed that fight and how hard he was hit. That fight should not have gone on. She took a deep breath to keep herself calm. The fight was over, they would move past it.

When they got to the hospital, she checked Jake in and took the paperwork to fill out. Another reason why he couldn’t come alone. He could kind of speak the language, he couldn’t read it.

“The nurse at the desk said a doctor will call you to do some tests and then you’ll go for an CT scan if you need it.” She told him.

“Did you black out at all?” She asked. “When did your head start hurting and when did you start feeling sick?”

"I was feeling okay then though." Neither would have suspected anything with how he felt after. Even the next morning he felt fairly well considering how bad it really had been.

"I never blacked out." He told her. "Woke up with a very slight headache but after I ate I was fine. I've been fine till about 45 minutes ago. Nausea hit the same time. I got dizzy first, head hurt, then nausea. Then kinda hits in waves. I'm not bad then intense pain. Intense nausea." He told her. The lights felt bright to him.

"It just feels like a bad migraine." He told her. "Without the eye fuzziness." Jake rested his head against her shoulder.

When they called him back to the room, Jake went through some of the tests they ran on him. They didn't want to give him anything for the pain or nausea until they found out what was going on.

”But you were hyped up on adrenalin, which I’m sure masked whatever you were feeling until you came down.“ she said softly.

When he got called back, she went back with him. She told the doctor everything Jake told her. She also let him know Jake was a UFC fighter and he got hit in the head. She was even able to show him the video. The doctor made a face at the hit, the same face almost everyone made when they saw a hit that bad.

The video and symptoms meant he had to get CT scan. There was no way around it and it was better to have a scan on the record if Jake had issues in the future.

”He wants you to have a scan before he diagnoses you. But he did say since you didn’t black out, you may have a minor con. He just wants to rule out major damage. Don’t worry, we would know right away if you had brain damage. Your memory seems to be fine, it’s just your head and stomach. how many concussions have you had this year though?” She asked him.

It was true the adrenaline was probably the reason why he wasn't hurting too badly. That's why it was always the next day or two that was the worst after fights and even accidents.

Jake gave her a soft 'okay'. He would have nodded but was trying to not move his head more than he needed to. It wasn't surprising they wanted to do a CT scan but since the doctor wasn't too concerned, he wasn't either.

"I haven't had any this year... At least none diagnosed." He told her. "Last year I had one. It was the last title fight. So what maybe nine months to a year. Was before that happened..." He pointed to her stomach and smiled a little.

The nurse came back get Jake to head to the CT. The nurse told Adri it shouldn't take too long. And asked if they wanted the doctor to look at the stitches to make sure they look okay and it's beginning to heal.

Adri said yes and didn't translate for Jake. She said yes, it was happening. A lot of things were about to change on Jake's team. She sent Luke, Amy and John a text letting them know Jake was going in for a CT scan because he wasn't feeling well. Amy could tell his mother if she wanted. Adri didn't have time for it. She also sent a text to her parents letting them know.

She had to go with Jake just to make sure he understood everything that was going to happen but she waited in the hallway while they did the scans. And then they were back in the room waiting for the results.

Adri tried to stifle a yawn. She was supposed to be getting her beauty sleep, but that wasn't happening. It was still relatively early though. As long as they got good news here, they'd be heading back soon.

Jake felt awful she was at the hospital with him and not resting. It had been a long few days for her as well. He hoped nothing was wrong and that their plans could continue on.

His head hurt too much to worry about his team or telling anyone. He just focused on the room to stop spinning and not throwing up. The CT wasn't too bad. But when he was done, he did end up getting sick in their trash can. He apologized but felt less nauseous after.

They went back to his room to wait for the results. He reached for her hand. "Are you okay babe?" He asked her. "I'm not nauseous very much anymore."

Adri nodded, “I’m as okay as I can be.“ She told him. “The doctor is going to check your stitches and then give you your results and we can head back.“ She told him. “We will get what ever prescription filled at the pharmacy near my grandparents house.“

They had to wait almost two hours for the doctor to come back with the results. He tried to explain in English but his English was very rusty and Adri was getting irritable so she told him to say in German. Since they technically were not married yet, she was not next of kin, but she did still have power of attorney and was able to translate for him.

“You have a minor concussion. You need to rest. He is going to give you something for the pain and the nausea. No fighting or working out until you can get cleared by our doctor at home. your symptoms can last a couple days to a couple weeks.“ she told him but for the most part they knew what to do with a concussion.

There was more paperwork after that that Jake had to sign and then they could head home. “I don’t know what you and Opa had planned, but keep it chill.” She told him as they walked to the car.

Jake told the doctor he could tell her in German. He fully trusted Adri to tell him the truth. The doctor basically told them what they pretty much knew. He at least knew it wasn't anything more serious then the concussion.

He signed the paperwork and they headed to the car. "Do you consider the strip club chill?" He teased and grabbed her hand and kissed her cheek. "I'm not sure where he wanted to take me but I'm sure he's not going to take me bull riding or anything. Fishing or something maybe..."

He got in the car. "What did he used to do with your brothers?" He asked and rested his head back.

"We can all cuddle and sleep when we get back..." He told her. "We can wait for the scripts until morning so you can rest. I'm sure Opa will take me to get them tomorrow."

“Jacob.” Adri warned and pushed his hip. “I don’t know what you two are doing, but I will tell him you need bed rest if you get out of hand. I don’t know what he used to do. I wasn’t there.” She reminded him.

She unlocked the car and got in the drivers side. “You can cuddle a pillow. I have to be up with Owen in a few hours if I’m lucky.” She said and drive them back to her grandparents house. There was a house key on the car keys so they easily got in. Her grandmother was still awake and asked about Jake, which Adri explained quickly in German. Her grandmother went away and handed Jake two pills and a cup of orange juice.

Adri went to check on Owen and then took a shower and got in the queen sized bed, which was small compared to their California king at home.

He chuckled and smiled. "Babe, I'll be careful. I promise. Plus I'm with your grandfather. How crazy are we going to get?" He asked and raised an eyebrow.

Jake waved at Oma. "You didn't have to wait up." He smiled a little and took the meds Adri gave him. When she went to shower, Jake went up to lay down.

It didn't take long for him to fall asleep. The medicine helped but it also was a long couple days with a long couple ahead of him. Jake was determined to everything done that he wanted to do for Adri for their surprise wedding. Plus she had plans for him as well so he needed to wake up feeling better. Or at least able to push through.

Owen woke up earlier than Adri wanted, but Jake needed more rest than she did, so she got up and went to get him. He didn’t like that she couldn’t pick him up but they went downstairs and sat on the couch together and had some quiet cuddles while he woke up. Then she took him to the kitchen and they made pancakes for breakfast.

her grandmother was up first and helped Adri with the sausage and bacon and then her grandfather came down for a cup of coffee and he watched Bluey with Owen. Adrienne tried to pump him for information on what he was taking Jake to do but he wasn’t saying.

Liam and Janice got the first train out of Prague and made it to them around eight in the morning. Now they just needed a place to sleep. She didn’t want them to fight over the third bedroom or be forced to sleep on the couch.

“The second that anyone gets wind that he has a minor concussion, they are going to go after Dana. I want to go after Dana but I think I’ll wait until I drop these two.“ She told Liam and rubbed her stomach. “And Jake thinks it’s a joke Which is beyond frustrating. That fight should have been called.“

Liam understood where Adri was coming from. It was definitely concerning. She had every right to be upset with Dana and concerned for Jake's health and future. "It was definitely a nasty hit. I don't get grossed out often...." He shook his head and made a face.

"Jake would have been devastated if it got called though. He technically was defending himself and fought back. In that regard, the ref did what he's trained to do. The ring doctor though...his job should be over. We know what could have happened." He said softly. "I don't want to be under the wrath of you though." He grinned.

"Was he feeling any better? It's just a minor concussion though? Nothing more serious?" He asked. "What do you need me do? I'm here for anything you guys need."

Jake woke up and came downstairs. He told everyone hello and felt awful Janice and Liam were there.

“A lot more people would be devastated if something happened to him because it wasn’t called. If something serious happened that we couldn’t see. If blood got in his eye and blinded him. I’d rather have him safe without a title than dead because of one.” She told him.

“He’s fine. It’s just a minor concussion, so once again we got lucky that it wasn’t something more.” She sighed.

“I need help with Owen mostly. And since Jake should be resting and shouldn’t be carrying heavy things and neither can I. Owen is the main priority. Janice can help with him. I need you for when we go out.”

She smiled when Jake came down, “We were just talking about how you owe Janice and Liam a European vacation.” She handed him orange juice and two more pain pills.

Liam nodded in complete agreement. "Oh absolutely. The UFC is definitely getting a lot of backlash. If it comes out he had a concussion and didn't get it checked...This is bad for them. Really bad." He said softly.

"You got it. Not a problem at all. Whatever you guys need." He smiled at Adri and gave her arm a small squeeze. "We will make it work. It is funny one kid takes six adults. You may want to hire more hands..." He chuckled as he teased Adri, but Owen was a good kid.

Jake smiled and nodded. "Yeah I do. That's for sure. Thanks for coming guys." Jake took his meds and then looked at Adri. "Can we talk quick?" He asked softly.

“I think I’m done after these two. Get my tubes tied or something.” She laughed. Owen was difficult at times but for the most part easy. He was only really getting difficult for Adri recently because she couldn’t pick him up and they had to navigate through that. Owen didn’t like it, she didn’t like it either. But they would figure out a way to move past it.

She nodded her head to Jake and walked with him to the back porch. It was a nice morning and it was private. “How do you feel? Head still hurt?” She asked. She looked at his bandage. The photographer could photoshop that out of the pictures. She wasn’t worried about it.

“I have a someone busy morning, Opa won’t tell me what you’re doing. I told him not to make you walk around too much though.” She told him.

Jake followed her onto the back porch. He leaned against the railing. "It hurts a little. It's not horrible. It's more dull then anything." He told her and reached for her and wrapped his arms around her. "I'll take it easy. I promise."

What he wanted to talk to her about was something he didn't know how she'd take it. "I need information about my injury to stay as quiet as it can until we get home. Dana is already getting shit for not handling things better. My agent is afraid I could be liability for the UFC. This could get complicated and I just don't want to deal with anything right now. We are on vacation and I just want to enjoy our time with you grandparents." He told her and kissed her head before giving her the best hug he could.

"How's the babies? How are you feeling?"

Adri’s head snapped to the side in surprise and quickly she frowned at him. “Dana? You have minor or concussion and you’re worried about Dana’s reputation?” She asked him Ti make sure she was understanding correctly. “You’re not the liability. The fucking doctor that didn’t call that fight is the liability. How many stitches are in your forehead right now?” She asked him.

“Dana‘s reputation was in the trash when he was caught slapping his wife in a club. You think I give half a damn about Dana?” She wormed her way free from his hug. “A hug and a kiss on the forehead isn’t going to make this better, Jake.“

“I want a lawyer involved. I don’t give a shit if you go after the company or Dana or the doctor who didn’t call it. But the fact that you had a concussion and the fight went on is neglect. He can rewrite the rules and make the only way to win a title fight a tap out, a knock out or a decision. Medical taps shouldn’t count. Because at the end of the day your health is the on the line. That is more important than a title.“

One of the babies kicked and she pressed that spot. She could feel her blood pressure spiking. “I’m fine. They’re fine. They’re just moving.“ She said and breathed through it. “Tell me you aren’t you aren’t just going to let it go.“ She said a lot calmer than before. She was breathing in and out to get her heart rate down.

Jake sighed and shook his head. "I'm not worried about his reputation. But right now. He's still my boss. And my agent is already looking into athletic lawyers that helped football players who's injuries ended their careers early due to making them play hurt and other factors. I'm not at all saying we are letting this go. I'm only asking if we can not make it a public thing until we get home." He told her.

"We may have a legal battle on our hands and my career could be over. And frankly, I don't want to even have that in my mind until we get home."

"You've been talking about this place and being here with me and Owen. I'm focusing on that. Not my injury. Not how it's going to affect my future. Not how it could effect me as a fighter." He sighed and nodded to a hug and kiss wasn't going to fix it. "Adri...I'm putting my career completely aside until we get home. Like you said, I'm on vacation." He held his hand out to her.

"I just don't want a public battle while we are in another country." He said softly.

Back
Top Bottom