Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Is He A Lover or A Fighter? (Part 4) WF+GF

After letting them talk alone for a bit, Adri came over and spoke with them. She put her hand on Jake’s back and looked up at in lovingly. There were a few good photos to come out of there after party. She kissed Owen’s hand, but he was out by the time she came over. It was time for them to get to bed. Adri would stick around another hour or so before calling the car for herself.

She was pleasant the whole time she was there, she was happy for the team. And genuinely happy for Jake but again he made her question if he cared about his health or notoriety.

“Are you coming with me or do you want to go out with them?” She asked. “It’s your choice.” She said softly. “But if you come back drunk, sleep on the bed with Owen after a shower.”

Jake looked at Adri a little when she asked if he was staying or going out. "Nah, I'm going to go back with you. I'm getting a little tired actually." He told her and told the team he was heading out.

They all congrats him again as he said his byes to everyone. Luke was going out with the guys. "You probably shouldn't be drinking with your head anyway..."

Jake nodded. "I think the fiance is pissed... I'm not entirely sure why. But something is off." He said softly.

"She saw your head busted open on the jumbo tron man..." Luke told him. "I had to call your sister and reassure her, you were okay..."

Jake nodded. "Got it." He gave him a quick man hug before heading out with Adri to go back to the hotel. Jake just hoped she'd talk to him about it.

“Alright.” She said softly to him coming back with her. That was fine. That was probably for the best. “The car is outside.” She said goodbye to everyone, kissing cheeks and hugging most people.

The car ride back to the hotel was quiet. And so was the elevator ride up to the room. Adri checked on Owen and then got in the shower and washed her face. She put on a tshirt and a pair of shorts and got in bed with the body pillow under her stomach and between her legs.

“Should you be going to sleep? Do you need to be in concussion protocol?” She asked him.

Jake held her hand heading out to the car. He looked on his phone after a bit with the car ride being quiet. All the sports outlets had his fight and cut on articles running on their pages. After awhile he put it in his pocket.

When they got back to the hotel, he turned the TV on and made sure it wasn't on anything that would bring the fight up on it. He took his suit off and hung it up while she showered, putting on a pair of shorts and cut off shirt.

"The medic never mentioned being in concussion protocol..." He told her. "I can stay up if it makes you feel better..." Jake offered.

“That would make me feel better but I think you’ll end up doing whatever you want to do.” She said and felt the passiveness in the way she said.

“Jake there was a time when you said you would tap before you got hurt too badly. Before an arm broke, before you had too many concussions. That’s not what I saw tonight.” She told him. “That cut was deep. It doesn’t make any sense how your brain is rattled. You don’t get hit like that and get that deep of a cut and end up fine.”

“The ref should have called that fight. Your team should have called that fight. Your health is more important than a belt but you kept fighting and bleeding. You lost so much fucking blood Jacob.”

Jake knew she was upset and let her talk and get out everything she needed to.

He let out a little sigh. "It's never been about winning a belt. It's been about proving something to myself and everyone else who's ever doubted me. Yeah I became champion but I don't want to stop there, you know that. You want to continuously get better too. That's how we both are..."

He sat on the bed. "I honestly really didn't know how bad if was. I don't have a way to see it in the cage. You can't see the screens from there. At least at this place I couldn't. I figured if it was bad enough the medic would have called it. And...yeah maybe he should have. I won't argue that..." Jake reached for her hands.

"It's hard cause we have to think and make a decision in a minute. My team had to look at it and decide in a minute. And heads bleed a lot in general so it makes it hard to really gauge. And yeah maybe they too made the wrong decision." Jake wrapped his arms around her. "I'm okay though..."

“You’ve held the title for how long? You’ve proved yourself how many times? What is above a champion?” She asked him.

“You had blood covering the side of your face at one point.” She told him. “It was just red. They all knew that fight was going to be called. If it was any other fight, it would have been called.” She told him.

“But all anyone thought of in that moment was a belt or pay out or who knows what else. But they weren’t thinking about what Jake will be like in twenty years. They weren’t thinking about how much worst of an injury you could have gotten if you couldn’t see because blood got in your eye.”

“You got lucky this time. You said it yourself. How many more times can you get lucky?” She asked softly.

“You’re too hot, Jake. You’re giving me a hot flash.”

"This is the first time I've defended it. That comes with being champion. It's part of the process." Jake was a little confused. She understood how the UFC worked as well as his dreams and goals within the UFC.

Jake shook his head and let go of her, putting his hands up. He was only trying to comfort her. "That's not fair. My team wouldn't put me into direct danger on purpose for their own gain. Rich fought himself. Luke wouldn't have allowed it. You think he'd want to explain to his wife why he let something happen to me?" He asked.

"It's not like I got in an armbar and can feel when it's gonna break if I don't tap. I'm not lying when I said I couldn't feel the pain from it. It didn't feel any different then getting rocked in other fights..." He explained.

Jake looked away and sighed. "Do you want me to go to the hospital and get checked out?" He asked her. He didn't know what else to say. He was okay. It was definitely the worst injury he had and she was pregnant so he was sure that didn't help.

Adri didn’t agree but she didn’t say anything to his statement about his team. She didn’t want to believe they would out a payday before his well being, but that was a lot of money she wasn’t sure. Especially after tonight.

“It’s your brain Jake. Your arm can be fixed. You’ve had surgery on your arm before. That’s fixable. You can’t fix your brain once it damaged it’s done.” She didn’t want to wake Owen, she definitely wanted to tell that to get it through his head.

She stared at him when he asked if he should go to the hospital. He should have his own answer to that. Selfishly she would would make him go alone and figure it out. She was tired. She took a deep breath and shook her head.

“I want you in concussion protocol though. Awake on the couch. I can’t remember what else we do but do it over there.” She told him and pointed at the couch. “And you’re dealing with Owen if he wakes up.” She snapped.

Jake sighed a little. "Adri, that doesn't happen all the time. They've never seen a cut like that before. It's a learning curve for everyone... Do you really think the medics would want my life in their hands? The UFC? They don't want a lawsuit or the publicity. They don't want me to win. They didn't want to pay me. I'm worth more money than he is..."

He ran his hand through his hair. Jake wondered if this would be a constant conversation they'd be having with every fight. Part of him wondered if she wanted him to retire now.

"It's already stitched up. I don't know what else they can do here...I'd rather get back to the states and have my own doctors look at it. But I'll have dad go with me and get it looked at by doctors." He said softly and went to find shoes and text his dad.

“I guess there is no right answer then.” She shifted the pillows under head and closed her eyes.

“I have three kids to worry about. You’re a grown man. You will figure out what the right thing to do is. You don’t speak German so I wouldn’t advise going to the hospital. Call your dad up to sit with you and keep you up.” She yawned and pulled the covers over her shoulder.

Once she was asleep she would be out so he could do what he wanted and she wouldn’t stir. Unless she had to go to the bathroom.

“All I am telling you to do is stay awake. Stay awake for a few hours. Take a pain reliever. Relax.”

Jake looked at Owen who was out cold. She was upset but didn't want him going to the hospital. He felt like whatever he did decide to do, would be wrong.

He moved to the couch with his laptop and decided to stay up and work on his documentary. Jake went through the footage taken since they left. He made notes on what to edit out and what to keep.

After awhile his head did start to hurt and he was getting tired. He looked online if he really should stay up or not but texted the team trainer. Jake didn't really think sleeping with Owen made sense in case he hit Jake in his stitches so he slept on the couch.

The trainer only suspected a minor concussion if that. Jake was only a little off balance after the fight but could have multiple factors. He knew answers to questions. He didn't lose consciousness. New studies showed he didn't have to stay. The trainer didn't suspect seizures or anything.

He tried to get some rest laying on the couch but didn't get much at all.

It wasn’t often that she couldn’t sleep because of the babies, but tonight was one of those night. They kept kicking and moving and she kept turning. She could only roll on either side. She couldn’t lay on her back without hurting the next morning.

She would sleep for a little bit and then wake up and do it again. She got out of the bed to go to the bathroom and saw Jake struggling to sleep in the couch. She might feel better on the couch anyway.

She poked his shoulder until he got up. “Go to the bed.” She told him. She put her hand up when he started to argue. “Just go to the bed.” She said with her other hand on her back. She didn’t want to hear it right now.

Jake looked at her confused but listened and got up. He grabbed some water and went to the bathroom before going to check on Owen then going to bed.

"Are you okay?" Jake asked her softly. He felt bad if he was keeping her awake if he was upset with him or even worried about him. But regardless if it was the babies or something he could help with, he would. He felt he needed to offer.

"Come here...come lay with me..." He told her softly. Maybe that was why the babies wouldn't rest.

“I’m fine.” She said and wrapped a blanket around her legs. She was in a seated position but her feet were up in the table. She felt a little better like that. She poked a few places in her belly but it was up to them when they wanted to settle. as long as she didn’t get a kick in the ribs again, she’d be okay.

She closed her eyes until Jake told her to come to bed. She frowned and huffed at him. “Laying down isn’t helping. I’m fine.”

She was still irritated at him for the cut on his forehead. And she was uncomfortable and tired , which didn’t help her attitude at all. She moved her belly from side to side to rock them to sleep. It helped with Owen, it might help with them.

Jake felt like the environment in their hotel room was even more hostile than in the octagon. "Okay...sorry." He said softly and rolled over but laying on his side sometimes hurt his head if the pillow touched his stitches. It wasn't like he was going to tell her that though.

He moved to his back turned his head just slightly to the side, closing his eyes. The bed was definitely more comfortable. When Adri would actually get some good sleep, he'd get up with Owen. She needed rest and he'd make sure she'd get it.

Jake finally fell asleep and got some rest. He even started a small quiet snore, something new since the injury.

She did get a little bit of sleep sitting up, it wasn’t very comfortable but it was better than being stuck on her side. She put headphones on her belly where they would fit and blasted music so they would be lulled to sleep, which did work out for a little while.

She heard Owen moving around in the morning, which usually meant he was waking up. She opened her eyes and watched him for a bit and then got off the couch and on to his bed. She let him snuggle into her on the bed while they quietly watched Bluey.

She was still tired, but that seemed to be the default mood lately. She was also excited. It was their last day in Prague. They were taking a train to Mainz where they would stay with her grandparents for one night and go exploring during the day. It was quiet and almost country-esque but still very much city. They were unlikely to run into paparazzi or fans. It wasn’t a tourist area but they had beautiful parks and a couple of castles.

And the best of all, all the food they could imagine. The babies and her stomach were happy just thinking about it.

Jake woke up in the morning and was hurting a bit. It was always common for him to be hurting the day after a fight even if he was sore more than anything. His head was always starting to hurt.

He grabbed some of the Pedialtye Sport they brought and opened it. It would help with muscle recovery a bit. He was still a little tired still but didn't know if he really couldn't sleep much anymore. He noticed Adri and Owen awake. "Hi family."

Jake wondered if she was still angry at him. It really was hard for him to know how bad the cut was. The octagon physician really was the one responsible for not stopping the fight and should have. That was the articles that all the major outlets and then some was saying. Some other medics and doctors were saying Jake could have died if that artery was busted open.

“Good morning.” Adri said to Jake and raised Owen’s hand to wave at him.

“Do you want breakfast?” She asked. Owen was up now and that was her main concern. The fight and aftermath was all yesterday and even though she had to look at that bandage for the next couple weeks, she would get over it.

“The train leaves at three. I think Luke is leaving this afternoon with most of your team. If you want to have lunch with them or something. I’m going to chill out up here, I think I did too much yesterday trying to keep this guy up.” She said and tickled Owen’s side.

“I can get him dressed if you want a day together.”

Jake thought about it and nodded. "I could eat a little bit. Plus he's going to get hungry so yeah." Jake pointed to Owen. "He eats all the time."

He nodded about the train leaving at three. "Getting with them may be nice. I may do that and get lunch. I'll take Owen so you can get some rest. Dad will help with him." Jake watched Owen a moment before sitting back down.

"I'm going to chill here for a bit. I'm hurting a little..." He said softly. "I don't feel like doing too much right now..."

“I’ll order something after this episode, it has like four minutes left.” She told him. Owen was content cuddling and watching Bluey, so she would indulge until the show was over.

“That would be lovely.” Peace and quiet a bed to herself. If only she could transfer the giant belly to him too so she could really get some sleep. She’d take the afternoon to herself though.

“I have Tylenol in my purse if you want one or two. That’ll help with the muscle aches and whatever other aches you have. Don’t feel like you have to get up. You can go back to sleep. I have this guy.” She told him.

When the episode was over she got out of bed. Owen stayed on the bed to watch his show. Adri grabbed the iPad they had to use to order food and got some breakfast items sent up.

"No rush babe. Whenever." He told her and gave Owen's head a kiss.

Adri worked hard not just in her profession, but as a fiance and mother. She deserved a break. "I'll give you a day or two when you get back home. I'd give you all afternoon but we have to leave..."

"Tylenol sounds good. I'm not real tired just hurting a bit." Jake looked at his phone and started to see the articles. "Apparently you're not the only one heated about the fight...' He said softly. "Articles are not happy with the octagon medic. Some people want him fired. This big. ESPN, all the sports channel and sites. Fans are pissed." Jake looked at Adri. "Don't read these...."

Jake didn't want Adri getting upset all over again or even worse, stressing the babies out. Some professional doctors say on record, Jake easily could have died.

Adri rolled her eyes and didn’t say anything. When he told her not to read them and blew out a breath, “My blood pressure did enough spiking yesterday. That’s probably why I couldn’t sleep.” She said and rubbed her stomach.

“If you think you were okay to continue that fight, then I believe you. I’m not in a space where I can fight over it right now.” She told him and meant it. If she wasn’t pregnant it would be a different story but she couldn’t let something out of her realm dictate her emotions and feelings. She needed peace and calm for herself and the babies and the home birth that she wanted in the future.

While she was up she got the Tylenol and handed it to him. She sat back on her side of the bed and Owen moved over closer to her. She kissed the top of his head. “Hi bud.” She said softly.

“If your head hurts, you should lay down. Sleep it off before it gets worst. Whether you’re tired or not, resting will help.”

"Baby, I'm being honest here. In the moment, in the fight. I wasn't aware of a danger. Or any risk." He told her and truly meant it. But he also puts his trust into his team and the medics. Maybe he needs a more experienced medical official on his team. But if he threw in the towel...literally, he'd lost the fight.

That was the hard thing reading the articles after hearing he could have died... He would have lost. From a medical stoppage but it included a loss on his record. But death...was way worse.

Jake took the Tylenol from her and took it quick. When she sat back down with Owen, he got up and had her sit up just a little so he could fit behind her. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her cheek, neck and shoulder. His hands rubbed her belly. "I'm sorry you had to see that. I'm sorry it was that bad. I will do things to make sure if I'm in a situation like that again I have a team member who has more medical experience. That we both fully trust and have an understanding of what needs stopped. I have too many people depending on me now. And I love you so much. And I'm waiting to marry you and I'm making it to that wedding."

“I get it. You didn’t see how bad it was. You couldn’t call the fight. Everyone on your team saw how bad it was. Luke said it was bad. Everyone knew it was bad because it wouldn’t stop bleeding and still they sent you out there. I’ll watch you fight. I’ll watch you break your nose and get cauliflower ear and get battered and bruised. I will not watch you bleed out on a mat for a man that cares more about money and pay per viewer watchers than his fighters.” She told him.

“I’ll support you from home Jake. I don’t think I can go to any more fights. I’ll travel with you and go to the weigh in and interview but I can’t watch it anymore.” She said softly and shook her head.

“i have to be there for the kids. I shouldn’t have gone to the fight last night. It was too much in general for this,” she gestured to her stomach, “to be there. I believe in what you’re saying. I support you changing weight classes and all that. But my support is going to look different from now on.” She explained.

Back
Top Bottom