Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Ragnarök (Ezralora and Johnizbeast)

"They are not tricks it is Vanir magic." She said as she crouched down and wrapped her arms around her legs as she stared into the fire. "Tricks are what fools do to entertain children." She looked over at him, as he was skinning the elk. Choosing to remain quiet as he did so, she just studied and observed him. It was interesting to watch how different people skin an animal, not everyone had the same way. "Who taught you to skin an animal?"

"I see Vanir magic huh? I have only seen it a couple times..... and I agree agree tricks are meant for children... not in battle" Steinar replied. Though soon she was asking him about the animal he was skinning and he replied "I learned from my father and fellow tribesmen. From the moment my clansmen are able to walk we are trained to fight and hunt. That is why Odin choose one of us. Hunting and killing is what we are best at and among my tribe there is no one better than me."

Ylva nodded a little as he spoke and stared into the flames. "What is your tribes name?" She asked for a moment, not having come from one herself, she wasn't sure what customs there were or what it was like to come from such a close, large group. So this had indeed intrigued her. "Are there any other skills that are passed down from father to son?" She asked further showing interest in the topic.

"My tribes name is the Bodolf Tribe of the far north" Steinar replied as he finished skinning the elk. Once he was done he put down two large sticks he had gotten and ran the elf through with a spare spear so they could roast it over the fire. "Yes, how to cook an elk like this one, how to bag a woman, how to be man.... many things are passed from father to son. What did the gods pass onto you?" Steinar asked.

Ylva chuckled a little. "Any of those tricks work?" She asked, mainly referring to the woman part of it. "Many things, most of it they're views opinions and magics. I can walk through a forest and not be heard, i can become anyone i want. Or what other people want with a mere thought. I can draw this bow, that has been blessed by those in Alfheim, and much much more." She added and offered him the bow. If he tried to draw it, it would be much harder than any regular bow but not impossible. Needless to say if an arrow was fired at a tree, there was a high chance the arrow would splinter the wood.

"Yes, some of those tricks work. Though I yet to bag myself a wife, its hard to find a good woman" Steinar replied before listening to what Ylva had to say about her family. "Sounds like you know a lot of magic, so your more of a socressor then a warrior.... or should I say a warrior sorceress" Steinar said. Though he shook his head at her invite to shoot the bow "No I shall try your bow in the morning after a long rest. For now food and rest are my top priorities."

"I am what i must be..." She muttered and took the bow back before looking over a few arrows and placing them back in the quiver. She eyed the elk for a moment before heading to the mouth of the cave. "Then the morning we'll move... the fresh snow should make it easier to find another animal to hunt, and trade at the next holding we get to." She added, adjusting her furred clothing.

"We are what we will ourselves to be.... fate is for the weak, choice is for the strong.... it is an old proverb of my people passed down from generation to generation" Steinar said as he roasted the elk for them to eat, probably the smartest thing that Ylva would hear come out of his mouth. "Sounds like a plan... we shall hunt and trade our kill for coin"

"I would not disregard faith out to the world." She said and looked over her shoulder at him, as she genuinely looked worried for him. "The norns can have a cruel sense of humour." She stated and ran a hand over her black hair, feeling the strands fall beneath her fingers. "A worry for another time though, let's eat." She said and went to push passed him after he finished cooking and cut the meat up in a hurry, just showing how hungry she was. Being in a cage didn't offer a great variety of food choices.

"I don't disregard faith, I just have enough faith in myself to know I can change fate. That is how powerful I am! so there is no need to worry!" Steinar said before digging into the elk along side of Ylva. "Ah! I see you stomach is strong! Just As Any Warriors should be! Feast! and Enjoy the kill! There is more than enough to go around! Here have some Mead!" Steinar shouted as he ate the elk not minding any food coming out of his mouth. He then took a bottle out of his pouch and took a drink of it before handing it to Ylva "Drink! Let us celebrate this fine meal and the glory of our battle!"

Ylva let out a sigh as she took the mead and took a long swig from the bottle before placing it back onto the ground beside her. "Right." She simply said as she took another bite of the elk and finished as she tossed the bone away, it clattered against the stone and she found a place to lean against as she watched the snow falling on the outside. "Fimbulwinter is upon us still..." She muttered to herself.

As Ylva drank from the mead Steinar cheered "Drink! Thats it! Have as much as you like!" Once she was done Steinar took the mead and did the same taking a nice big swig of the mead. Though soon he heard her mention Fimbulwinter. "Fulla Balla What?! Is the mead already getting to you! I wouldn't have taken you for a light drinker!" Steinar said before offering Ylva another drink of the mead.

"Fimbulwinter, the time before the end of the world. We may be situated in the early stages of the chosing process but full Ragnarok will not take place for a while, not until the snows finally clear. Us killing people now i suppose is just whittling down the competition." She shrugged her shoulders, but didn't have another drink. Not feeling the mood taking her right now.

"Ahh! I see, so this is just the start of the hunt! I like that idea, get rid of the weak, so only the strong remain. Sounds like my kind of fight!" With that Steiner took another swig of mead and bit of the Elk meat he had been chewing on. "What else do you know about this hunt?" Steiner asked.

Ylva narrowed her eyes a little before splaying both her hands out in front of the fire to keep them warm, watching as the tongues of flames began to dance before her, and reflect in her eyes. "The hunt, not too much... Ragnarok... well who has not heard the tales? The gods will await for who is in their favour and the battle will commence, the winner will remain as head of the pantheon... the defeated are chosen or cast aside. There are many forgotten gods now..." She rubbed her hands together before her gaze flicked up to him, "It is not a pleasant time. So... other than, that spear what else did the mighty Odin grant you?"

Steiner smiled at he response. "I see, people from my tribe call it the great hunt, where the most powerful warriors in the lands hunt each other down, one by one until there is only one remaining. That champion raises the banner of their diety and his clan is blessed with power and prosperity until the next great hunt. Though it seems our stories have the differences the core of the tale is basically the same". At Ylva next question Steiner just scuffed "You would ask a warrior to divulged all his secrets? how rude"

Ylva ran a hand through her hair before rubbing the back of it as she rose to her feet. "So much for conversation then, yes." She grabbed her bag before tossing it onto the other side of the cave, and slumped down with her back against the stone as she closed her eyes. Letting out a long drawn out breath her chest moved down and adjusted the furs to keep her warm. "I understand your worry though, who would want to tell anyone what they carried on their person." She let out a chuckle before beginning to fall asleep, yet it was a light sleep and a hand was resting on the hilt of a hidden blade just in case.

"No need to talk to much to an enemy, as one day I will hold your head. Though don't worry I am not cowardly enough to kill you in your sleep." Steiner replied before sitting on a near by rock and wrapping himself in some furs. He then put up a barrier that would let him know if anyone where to enter or leave the area. Mainly Ylva, he didn't want her to sneak away while they slept. "You better not try to run while we rest" Steinar said before falling asleep sitting straight up with his trusty spear in his hand.

Ylva was already asleep at that point, and had her eyes closed but didn't let go of the handle of the blade in the night. She turned a little in her sleep, as she dreamt unusual dreams. The snow turning to ash around her, a large burning tree, a leathery hide... an anvil and the beating hammer against it. It was then that she snapped open her eyes and glanced around, the cave as light began to pour in from the outside. "A vision..." She whispered under her breath, before turning to Steinar, who probably would not like what was going to happen next.

As the light began to pour into the room Steiner woke up rubbing his eyes. He had slept through the night peacefully, though would have preferred more sleep. As he stood up Steinar stretched his body and turned to Ylva who had just mentioned a vision. "A vison? yes I see the light as well... did you have some seeing problems after your bout with me yesterday Ylva?" Steiner asked confused by what she was talking about.

Ylva tilted her head to the side as she stared at him, "No Steinar." She said seriously as she rose up and began to roll the fur into a bundle before slipping it away. "A vision from the gods." She raised her hand briefly up before closing her hand. "Oh who is next, who is most likely to be my next opponent." She stood up before taking her boy and quiver of arrows, slinging it over her shoulder as well. "What do you know of Thor's chosen?"

Steiner just have a blank stare back as Ylva tilted her head and said no. Though when she mentioned a vision from the gods Steinar replied "Oh I see the gods have sent you messages, the last time Odin sent me a vision it ended with calling me a thick headed mule...." As Ylva got up Stienar replied "Well I think he may have lighting at his side, though I have never met of heard of his choosen's powers"

"Then Odin and Thor must be angry with each other." She muttered, more to herself than Steinar. "Odin definitely had something right if he called you that." She stated and let out a sigh as she walked out of the cave the snow still falling. "Do you just fulfil his wish then?" She queried before taking a few more steps away as she unhooked her bow in her right hand, and held three arrows against her bow for a quick draw.

"I don't know, but Odin hasn't mentioned anything about Thor to me.... also just because Odin said that doesn't mean you can to!" Steinar replied. Though seeing that Ylva was preparing for a quick draw made him draw his shield and readied his spear in his other hand for battle. "His wish is my wish, complete and total victory in the coming combat. It is for my honor and glory. It is not that I do his bidding but we share the same goals and work together to achieve them" Steinar replied.

"Understandable then, i was just wondering." She said, and moved between the trees as she walked keeping an eye out for something that could be used for trade in the next Jarldom later on. "How old were you when you started?" She asked as she heard the rustling of birds in the tops of the trees, and the animals around them. The occasional crunching of snow, breaking of dead twigs.

Back
Top Bottom