Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Forgotten Realms Pathfinder) Seeds of Evil: OOC

The rules for Acrobatics

She climbed up quite a ways in that tree but lets give the benefit of the doubt for the sake of argument that she is somewhere between 1-3 feet.

You would still be heavily obstructed not to mention the slope of the branch as it bears weight or the swaying of said branch as you fight.
So 5+5+2+2 (1-3 feet wide+Heavy Obstruction+ <45 slope+ Unsteady)

a 14 dc does seem reasonable for fighting in a tree and because she will need to perform these checks is denied dex bonus (which for her is no great loss)

They are not trying to walk this is true they are trying to fight, which may be worse. Normally when they would go to swing a weapon/deflect a blow their feet would move and since they cannot do that they are having to compensate by balancing with the rest of their bodies (they only have 1-3 feet to do this on an uneven sloping surface that sways underneath them) I would call for balance checks too.

I should have gone to the acrobatics rules when I said that, instead of just thinking, “Same DC as climbing” in my head.

Visualizing some of the bigger trees I climbed as a child, I was thinking that you were both on different branches, and that the branches were roughly 5” across. That puts the base DC at 15. (Same as for climbing a tree.)

Note, your GM comes from West Texas. What we call trees around here might be better described as European weeds with bark.

Different modifiers come into play, though!

Obstructions don't seem to me to exactly factor—the werewolf is using them to his advantage by holding on with one hand, where you're trying to balance by feet—and maybe butt—alone. However this branch would fall in the 'slightly unsteady (+2) category. Making the acrobatics DC 17.

So a result of 13-17, you're ability to make the attack of opportunity would be impeded by your balance. 12 or less would result in a fall.

Ok so you are ruling that she needs to make a check for an AOO - but he (and therefore she) would not need to make a check for actually attacking?

That being the case she would choose not to make her AOO, his 17 dirty trick still would miss - you mentioned that I should wait her own action to resolve this, should I proceed with that now?

*nods*

I was going to call for one to attack, too, specificly because you were using both hands on your shield and weapon, where the werewolf was leaving his sword in it's sheath and holding onto a branch with one hand.

If he makes it to another attack, he'll have to roll another check then. It'll be more like 12 instead of 17--unless he let's go wtih that hand--but it's still a check he has a very real chance of failing.

Also, if you can get any damage through his DR, you'll force a check not to fall.

Ok if she puts away her shield and as a move action, could she steady herself with her hand on a branch as a free action and than attack as a standard action - and what would be the DC of the acrobatics check I should make for that attack?

EDIT: I am going to assume that it is a DC of 12 for her also.

By the way, a few of the reasons I've slowed down involved me getting over the flu, Ssaber having a stomach bug, and I understand Ilven was down with something for a bit too, but I saw him on last night.

OK! Feeling better. Let me play catchup and see how I can post.

Hello everyone? Will someone help Abigail tie werewolf dude up, or is he going to tragically slip out of his inadequate binding as we travel?

Anyone can tie up a helpless opponent in pathfinder without a roll (there is no use rope skill) I believe - I assumed that Abigail had it covered, otherwise once Baltana has made sure his friend is dead/alive she will cover take him.

Say whaaat? Okay, I will admit to not being the most experienced with pathfinder. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

EDIT: Okay, I've updated my post. Looking forward to having the others post, it's been a long week and I've been hoping to get back to this.

hey.

it's been a horible night. I won't subject you to the details, but two of my friends are burying htier pets.

I am starting to relax now, and need to do something contructive. LEt me check that.

Hey guys just wanted to let you know I am not ignoring the thread just Ty's abilities and background really does not lend itself negotiating over bounties.

Just holding off on having Baltana respond to Balenor to allow others to interact (don't want to be posting much more frequently than everyone else).

Sorry! I for some reason had notifications for the game disabled? So, I wasn't aware I needed to post that... badly. It's done, though.

Back
Top Bottom