Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What are you reading?

lavenderxtea

Meteorite

I wasn't sure if I should necro/revive the older, manga thread or not, so I settled for starting up a new one. I noticed the other didn't have many posts, but I hope there will be some kind of discussion on ongoing and completed manga here. ^o^

I'm reading. . .
- Kiss Him, Not Me and waiting for my copy of vol.12 from the library.

- One Piece, natch. Caught up, and I'm so anxious. >o<

- 7 Seeds, kind of behind. I'm very eager to see the end, and what Tamura-sensei does next.

- Yona of the Dawn. I was reading here and there in HanaYume, but now I just read the official, ShojoBeat release. I stumble across spoilers and get so anxious! TTATT

- Golden Kamuy and also following the official, Viz release. I adore it though! Aspira and Sugimoto are the best. ♥

- Berserk. . . I mean. I'm waiting a while. Because I understand Miura's schedule, lol. Left on vol.37 though, I think?

- Kimi ni Todoke! Is my ship gonna happen or not!? Ayaneeee!

Recently finished. . .
- Black Bird. Was not expecting the turns it took and how it came out, but I adore it. It became a fave, though the ending could have been better.

- Sailor Moon, again. With each new stage in SeraMyu, and new arc of Crystal, I go back and re-read~.

- Orange. Wow. That got heavy, but it was amazing and very relateable.

What about you all~?

How are you feeling about ongoing stuff? Have any recommendations?

I just finished reading the first The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service:Omnibus. I really love the concept and how dark it is, I look forward to reading the second Omnibus. I'm really curious about how Karatsu received his powers and who the stitched up spirit guy is that he sometimes channels.

I have a lot more manga that I plan to read, i'll talk about them once I get to em.

Manga wise I just caught up with both Terra Formars, and D.Gray-Man, I'm reading Tokyo Ghoul

Book wise, I'm reading Super Powereds: Year 4, and listening to the audio books of both Stephen King's IT and Brandon Sanderson's Way of the King.

Sorry, no manga at the moment but I hope other reads would be okay. 'The Goldfinch' (had to return to the library to re-borrow), 'Circe,' and 'Children of Blood and Bone' ~ a book for work, backpack, home. lol

Kiril Eskov's Last Ringbearer. Or more, I tried to read it. Couldn't finish it. The modern vocab and concepts are really annoying. I wanted to love LOTR from the villain's pov, but seriously?

Future Evolution, by Peter Ward. It’s an exploration of what the future of life on earth may look like, and includes such ideas as:
* humans probably won’t see any significant evolutionary change between now and the death of the sun, since there’s no real likelihood of any human gene pool getting isolated for a significant period of time
* on the other hand, we’re quite possibly extinction proof as a species
* oh, but that means that it’s unlikely any megafauna will ever evolve again on earth
* and most new species that evolve will do so from weeds, “pest” species, and domestic plants and animals that go feral

It’s kind of a bleak book, and I’m not certain I entirely agree with it.

@RedRose, I read the Last Ringbearer a few years back and found it kind of forgettable. It strayed too hard from Tolkien’s works (IMHO) to b a good commentary on the books. I wonder, though, if it would have been better in the original Russian or with a better translator.

A Time of Torment by John Connolly. Pretty chilling book in a series.

The person who recommended I read by Reason of insanity recommended Second life (SJ Watson). At first it was too chick-litty, older woman has issues with growing old, for me, but then… FANTASTIC.

I thought about going through the Harry Potters series again, it's been a while since I went through them all.

Not home, so doing with what I can find…

I’m re-reading some classic noir books à la Simenon (a good number are translated) as well as modern thrillers (those available in English are Blood Red rivers by Jean-Christophe Grangé, Syndrome E by Franck Thilliez, a Hell of a story by Bernard Minier).

The Suspect, by Michael Robotham.

His first novel, and one of eight of his back catalogue that I hadn't yet read and have now arrived for me to wade my way through in order.

Monster (manga). I'll be finished with it by tomorrow and although it's very good I'm not really satisfied with this last arc.

Also Stranger Child by Rachel Abbott.

The Last Men, Pierre Bordage. Aaaah, so nice to find French post apoc/sci fi and reading about places I know about. Alas, the writing is really… simple… and not in a good way. I liked the story but in the end it just turned weird, and very predictable. The ending felt forced. Still thinking some countries do better with some styles… and France is more, (neo) noir, shades-of-grey slice of life or depressing romance, or of course The Classics.

I don’t read manga. It was never something that I got into but I do read graphic novels.

I’ve read up to volume 3 of Saga(really amazing and you should check it. Kind of like a Romeo and Juliet in space with alien species and bounty hunters).
I’m also reading Monstress another graphic novel and it’s a fantasy world.

Both are from image comics and I highly recommend them.

Tarantula - also entitled The skin I live in - by Thierry Jonquet. There's apparently an Almodovar movie inspired by it (names and places changed because people cannot handle a foreign location? lol). Very very graphic revenge story, disturbing and well written. I would only recommend it to people who can handle the trigger galore.

Back
Top Bottom