Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What are you reading?

Finishing off Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson. Once you get use to the translation its actually a great read for how short it is.
Can easily be finished in a night

Currently, I've been reading Breakfast On Pluto by Patrick McCabe. Before that, I was attempting to get through We Need To Talk About Kevin; the main character drags on so much that it's been difficult. Still a really interesting book though. After Breakfast On Pluto, I might start The Talented Mr. Ripley.
As for manga, I've been reading Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo on and off again for a few months now.

Previously I was all over the place between reading mangas and some sci-fi. In an attempt to keep myself more focused I am limiting myself to Shingeki no kyojin (attack on titan), just started Fairy Tail, and The New Jedi Order.

Manga goes pretty fast for me and the problem I run into is once I’m all caught up on chapters but new chapters are still being released, I get tempted to start a new one while waiting....Doh!

Probably the first thread I look out for on a new site (for me), is the reading thread. It always interests me what other people read. I personally am not someone who sticks to one book at any given time, so here's a selection of what I am currently reading (it's by far not all of them. I sometimes start in a book, to put it away for a long while and then continue where I left it)

The first book is a Dutch book, based on a children's TV series from the 1970s. The story is losely based on the Ratchatcher of Hamelen. Of the original TV-series only 6 episodes remain. It's no use really to translate the title of the book, which is Voorgoed Weg (just in case there's Dutch people reading this)

In Dutch translation I am reading (amongst others) the following: Decamerone by Giovanni Boccaccio, Tyll by Daniel Kehlmann (translated from German), Beauty and Sadness by Yasunari Kawabata (translated from Japenese), Love stories by Stendhal (translated from French) and Cooking Bears by Mikael Niemi (translated from Swedish).

In French I'm rereading Les Miserables

And in English I'm reading A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James, The Phoenix Empress by K. Arsenault Rivera and The thousand Deaths of Ardor Benn by Tyler Whitesides.

Finally, the book I'm constantly reading and re-reading is The complete Marquis de Sade, in a fabulous English translation by Dr. Paul J. Gilette.

Strangely enough I am not reading anything by my favourite author of all time: Steven Erikson, famous for his Malazan Book of the Fallen.

I've finally started reading Stardust by Neil Gaiman and I'm loving it. I'm also re-reading Foundation at the same time in honor of Asimov's birthday.

I've just finished The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers for the second time and love it just as much as the first time around. I'm looking forwars to reading more of her books. Alongside that I'm part way through Northern Lights by Philip Pullman; I want to reread it before I properly watch the tv show.

Just started reading Lanark by Alasdair Grey, I've always admired him from afar, but seeing as he passed away recently, thought I'd finally read some of his work. It's a biiig book though.

After blazing through the new Netflix series, I picked up the Witcher books. I read the last wish and have moved on to the sword of destiny. Honestly, I'm not sure I like the writing particularly, but between the show and the games I like the world too much to give up.

I love A Certain Scientific Railgun and UQ Holder, and I recommend both. In non manga category, I’m reading Sputnik Sweetheart by Murakami. My favorite author right now

Elantris, by Brandon Sanderson. Was looking for a standalone fantasy book and it was reccomended.
Though according to google the guy is working on a sequel for it.

I'm currently working on Ink Mage. It's an interesting story.

The main character has tattoos inked into her skin that give her what amounts to magic powers of a sort.

I really like it so far! It's the first book in a series.

I found my copy of the fiction of HG Wells while clearing up a few weeks ago, and I more or less started rereading it there and then. I love a scientific romance novel: The Invisible Man is probably my favourite. A shame that it's also a target for disappointing film adaptations...

Before that brick of a book dropped back into my life I was reading my way through the Discworld books in order, picking up the one I missed. I was given a lot of them as a gift so have been trying to piece together which ones I've been missing along the way!

I found my copy of the fiction of HG Wells while clearing up a few weeks ago, and I more or less started rereading it there and then. I love a scientific romance novel: The Invisible Man is probably my favourite. A shame that it's also a target for disappointing film adaptations...

Before that brick of a book dropped back into my life I was reading my way through the Discworld books in order, picking up the one I missed. I was given a lot of them as a gift so have been trying to piece together which ones I've been missing along the way!

Just about every book that's ever been published is a target for disappointing film adaptations. Or more precisely, the number of films based on books that I thought acceptable can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

On another note, I'm reading the collected short stories of Primo Levi and a book called Warrior of the Altaii by Robert Jordan. The latter apparently the first ever book he wrote, but one that never got published until very recently. And to complete the circle, RJ's Wheel of Time is now being made into a series, which will undoubtedly be a very disappointing one (books 1 to 7 were good to brilliant, books 8 to 11 were incredibly bad and then RJ died, leaving a manuscript that Brian Sanderson tunred into three books on the level of the first 7)

Just about every book that's ever been published is a target for disappointing film adaptations. Or more precisely, the number of films based on books that I thought acceptable can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

On another note, I'm reading the collected short stories of Primo Levi and a book called Warrior of the Altaii by Robert Jordan. The latter apparently the first ever book he wrote, but one that never got published until very recently. And to complete the circle, RJ's Wheel of Time is now being made into a series, which will undoubtedly be a very disappointing one (books 1 to 7 were good to brilliant, books 8 to 11 were incredibly bad and then RJ died, leaving a manuscript that Brian Sanderson tunred into three books on the level of the first 7)

That's true! Thinking about it, TV series seem to turn out better than film these days, particularly with increased budget for television, and also if the writers are committed to keeping in the subplots and attitude that made the book so enjoyable. In a single movie per book (or books), a lot of detail gets cut and it always seems to winds up watered down and generic. So who knows?
Though... fair enough, remain wary, and if it's good then that's a pleasant surprise. If it's bad, then you can at least enjoy being proven right. It's win-win.

The Invisible Man I single out partly because it seems to be a particular favourite for films, though, with War of the Worlds possibly on par with it. By now the ideas of invisibility and alien invasion are pretty common tropes, which is the main reason I find it so weird that there are still adaptations that insist that they're adaptations when they have nothing in common. Just make your generic invisible psychopath horror film! It's okay! You don't have to tie it to Wells just because you named the main character Griffin.
Oh well. Not that it matters much either way. And there's still the 1933 film that more keeps in the spirit!

Back
Top Bottom