Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Seedling ((EDDE))

Kurama was able to sooth his own humor much quicker than Yusuke. The fox was always good at controlling himself, and this time was no different. His throat was cleared and his hands lowered back into his pockets, tough with an arm still hooked around Yusuke's. "Yes, why not join us Hiei?" He offered kindly. "Our trip to my herb garden won't take long, and you are always welcome to join us for dinner." He was sure it was a little mundane for the little fire demon; but, it would give him the perfect chance to see Yukina and gauge her health. "Yusuke will be sure to keep the children from bothering you," he assured. The children, for some reason, were enthralled by Hiei, and would clamber all over him if they were given half the chance... Though a well timed snarl from the fire demon was usually enough to send them running.

"Hn." He seemed to relax a little. And it wasn't as if he were worried about the clingy welps. He'd figured out the perfectly placed look to land on them ages ago. It just wasn't quite as easy to muster if his sister were there to distract him. "Fine."

"Okay." With that, Yusuke was tugging on that arm that circled his lightly as he moved to step forward. He wasn't in any rush to gather those herbs. However, kurama had confided in him that he didn't feel well. It made him want to make the trip as short as possible.

An affirmative sound came with his nod, and the three demons casually made their way through the forest. Hiei was never one for small talk, and the fox was happy enough to oblige. He took in the soothing energy of the trees around them, and found comfort in the silence between them for as long as it lasted.

At some point the foliage around them changed. The bushes and trees seemed fuller and more vibrant, and the branches swayed in and against the wind in a living dance. Hanging vines reached out weakly in greeting, but it was a little while longer before they gained enough energy to actually reach their master. "I hope the need is unnecessary, but I will remind you nevertheless," a curtain of plush hanging moss was pulled to the side to allow the three demon's access to the warm air. He had modified it since taking Keichi on as his student. The humid, greenhouse like ambiance seemed to unnerve the boy while simultaneously giving his more... monstrous plants a lovely place to grow. "Don't touch the yellow flowers. They have a tendency to bite."

Thick ivy grew up the trunks of trees, and every so often a bright yellow flower was opened to the world in a gorgeous bloom. Upon closer inspection, however, the stamen of these flowers were razor sharp. A blood sucking plant that shouldn't be touched. Though, then again, touching any of the plants growing here was ill-advised without Kurama's express permission.

The plant Yusuke had been plucking leaves from grew out to offer itself to the former detective. The stolen greenery regrew with Kurama's nearby energy source. Shuichi stood before a line of low growing plants and released a curious hum. He began to mumble the names of herbs and each one grew up to eye level. They were all greeted with a casual pet between his thumb and pointer finger, but he denied them each with a shake of his head. He moved on to several hanging tendrils and repeated the action. "This would work, but I would be bed ridden for days," he thought out loud, and the leaves retreated to be replaced with another. "Perhaps if I watered down the effects with you?"

"Oh," a lightly curious noise passed from him as the plant reached out to him. He couldn't help but smile. He was used to it by now, but plants showing him any kind of like still seemed pretty special. He didnt possess a green thumb. In fact his thumb was the exact opposite. Still, as he smiled he reached out and pet at it gentle. "Hey there."

Hiei watched the detective with veiled interest, giving the plant life he decided to foolishly touch out of nowhere a skeptical look. He knew more about them than Yusuke did, but not enough that he trusted a single one until he knew it was passive.

Yusuke's attention fell on Kurama as he started mumbling. A frown he failed miserably at hiding touched his lips as he watched his selections with concern.

It threw Hiei off for a moment but a tick of annoyance soon crossed his features. "What the Hell is wrong with you two?" When he only got a blank stare from Yusuke, as expected, his attention turned to the fox instead.

Yusuke's plant seemed to enjoy the attention, and thin tendril coiled around his fingers in a form of embrace.

"Yes... The roots of the Kutooko, oil from the Juuka," The fox murmured off a few more names, and each time he did the plant would offer up its desired part with ease. Roots were plucked from the bark of a tree, leaves were taken for their oil, a stalk was broken off to be crushed into a pulp. The ingredients were carefully tucked away into his gi one by one until the fox turned to meet curious red eyes. Yusuke didn't have an answer, so he offered it. "I seem to have been infected by a foreign body," he answered simply. One of those yellow flowers reached out for attention, and Shuichi greeted it with tickling fingers. "I need to create a mixture to first kill it, then purge it from my system without causing me harm in the process."

The sharp, needle like thorns were lightly touched, but the points bent for their master's thumb. "And I believe I have all of the ingredients I need." he would have an unpleasant night, and he may not be in tip top shape by morning, but this would do the trick for any sort of parasite. "We may leave now," he started with a quiet chuckle as the herb around Yusuke's fingers started creeping up his arm in a tighter hug. "However, if you need a few minutes alone with your new friend, Hiei and I could go on ahead," he taunted. His plants could get quite affectionate, and this particular herb seemed to want a lot of it from Yusuke, and it seemed willing to squeeze his arm off just to get a few more pets.

Yusuke continued his pets. Even when his chuckles toward it grew into a heavy look toward his fox as he explained the situation to Hiei. That was all It was. That had to be what it was... but... He corrected himself quickly and looked back down on the plant. Bubbly surprise hit him.as it gripped him further. "H-hey!" He was at least smart enough not to try to pull away.

At first Hiei thought the initial look was because that plant was crawling up him so heavily. He found amusement in it. However, he recognized after a he turned back to it that didn't seem to be the case. It sounded simple enough. So, "Whats wrong with his face?" It was a slightly odd way to show his recognition. But he didnt know what the look was for. So it also made sense.

Yusuke attempted to ignore the question that hadn't been pointed at him by attempting to get it to let go with that soothing tone of his. "C'mon," he offered lightly, not entirely sure why the affection brought a bit of heat to his cheeks. "Kurama aint feelin' good. I can come back later..."

The leaves rustled in defiance as the plant coiled its way up his arm in order to rub soft, furry leaves over Yusuke's cheek.

Kurama checked his pouch of herbs one last time before he moved to leave the garden. "It seems Yusuke has grown an attachment for the parasite. Though do not ask me why, I have no understanding of it either." The fox stopped by his husband and created a calming coo low in his throat, and reached out to pet the extended vines. They rustled again, then tightened, before finally giving way and trailing back down hi arm. Several leaves were left in the temple master's hand as a parting gift.

"Other than he seems to have fallen into the game of house Lilly and Yukina are so adamant about playing."

Aparently there was a game he jad missed out on. Not that he cared. He wasnt one to play the particular type of games everyone else seemed to enjoy for a reason beyond him. However, Yusuke's addition caught up his interest again.

"W'll yeah! Cause what if it was a baby? Of course I'd be attached to it," he defended strongly. Although he'd already told Kurama he could do what he needed to. He was trying to resign himself to it. But it was really hard. Still, he backed off again. And thanked the plant curiously as it seemed to offer him like a treat or something. He looked back at Kurama, defiance bubbled away and skewed logic taking its place. "I wouldn't be so worried about it if Yukina didn't say it was, you know. Cause she didn't even know Lilly said so before. Remember?" Apparently he'd been paying more attention than he'd even thought at the time.

Crap, he was doing it again. And he schooled himself back I to silence. Damn, this was hard.

Hiei's attention drew tight on Kurama. And without lifting the band on his forehead he opened the jagan to have a look for himself. It wasn't the same as Yukina's, or really any one else's's probing abilities. The implant seemed to suck energy into itself to be able to see outward. And it seemed to be only Hiei's energy. Yukina wouldn't play such games if he was understanding the undetone of this awkward argument. So he decided to have a look for himself.

After only a moment the glowing orb behind the band faded off and he crossed his arms with a huff. "So what If it is a baby? It's the same thing."

Sharp eyes landed on Yusuke. "They're disgusting, weak creatures. They can't defend themselves, they make horrible messes, and they make even worse noises. Babies are about as worthless as humans," although by this point it went without saying that the general population off the temple was discluded from that... well most of it. He still counted Kuwabara. "And human babies are the worst. A lame, blind dog that didn't know when to shut up would have more worth."

He couldn't help but continue as the look he saw in Yusuke's eye darkened on him. Apparently he disagreed. But that only spurred him on to make making his point. "They're nothing more than parasites themselves; leeching off the insides of the host body until they're strong enough to survive on their own air. And even after that initial break the host is forced to continue keeping them healthy in an even worse situation." Yusuke was close to boiling. And he simply couldn't help but conclude. "And then, when they're finally strong enough to live all on their own they simply break off to go and infest the rest of the world."

Just as yusuke opened his mouth and sucked in a breath to shoot back at him he offered a nonchalant shrug. "I wouldn't want anything to do with it if I were him either."

It deflated the temple master. And had hurt eyes landing on Kurama for whatever it was he was seeking from him suddenly.

Last edited:
Exasperation nearly pulled a groan from the fox. "Yukina is mistaken," he informed him all over again. "There are demon species in which the male carries that offspring, but neither fox spirits nor humans can-" He was cut off by words he agreed with, but would not help the situation. "Hiei," he started, but ended up allowing the fire demon to continue. While Yusuke grew angry, Kurama seemed to calm, because at least there was someone who shared his feelings on the matter.

If he were harboring that sort of parasite, he had no doubt Yusuke would be crushed by the decision to abort; but he was also sure he'd get dirty or pitiful looks from the other temple occupants as well. Yukina especially. But the words he'd sent her way still rung clearly in his mind; and he meant them just as much now as he did then. He was silent until he noticed Yusuke had turned big brown eyes his way. The temple master looked like that lame, blind dog that didn't know when to shut up, and his heart ached for his lover. Because Hiei was right. He wanted nothing to do with infants.

"It is a moot point," he finally answered. Kurama placed a hand on Yusuke's shoulder and he tried to usher both hostile demons out of his garden before the fireworks could start. And they would definitely start if things continued down this path. "Listen, Yusuke. I am a man, and men do not have ovaries to house eggs, no tubes for the eggs to travel, nor a uterus for them to attach, and certainly no womb for a fetus to grow. There is no baby, only a parasite mimicking one." This time he punctuated it with a squeeze to Yusuke's shoulder and an almost desperate look in his eyes. "Alright? Please understand, it a physical impossibility." This was exasperating, but he kept it from an expression that he tried to keep kind.

"Werent you listening? " t he interjectionwas only a moment later even as the two allowed themselves to be led out. "I just said you were pregnant."

Yusuke puffed up at him "when? And anyway you heard him. He doesn't have the stuff to carry a baby. Duh." He wanted it to be true after all.

Hiei's eyes landed on Kurama instead of Yusuke. "I don't care what you do and don't have. It doesn't change the fact that you have a human parasite attached to your insides." His head tilted and a skeptical look crossed his features. "Do you care? It doesnt matter. It's still the same thing."

Yusuke's bubbling changed to worry for a moment, but he bucked at Hiei's attitude toward it all over again. "It isnt the same."

Hiei offered a flat look. "I just said it was."

"Well I'm sayin it isnt! Why don't you shut your stupid mouth and put your fists in it's place? You're pretty good at shoving your foot there!" His stance change instantly to combative.

"What would that prove?" The look had remained flat before.a smirk curled his lips. "Other than the fact that you can't win a debate on mental Mar it and always have to bring your fists into it?" He didnt have a whole lot of roo. To talk; some, but not much.

The growl that came from the temple master was as pleasing to his ear as ever. But when Yusuke formed a smirk of his own he was aware he wouldn't like what was to be said. "Well that," he startd smoothly. "And the fact that you really can't use yours to back you up at all."

He'd been right. And it only took that for them to clash and begin pummeling each other variously in a fighting form that was nowhere near what Yusike and Kuwabara's fight tended to be like. They seemed to be all over, only pausing in the movement of their feet to land harsh blows without blocking the ones that were thrown at them. As opposed, Yusuke and Kuwabara just tended to roll around grappling and landing cheap shots before Kuwabara was inevitably bested.

They were fighting. They were fighting and it didn't matter. Usually Kurama would find either humor or exasperation in their fights, but this time the blows and taunts became nothing but background noise. Lilly was a child who could barely walk in a straight line, Yukina could easily be mistaken, but Hiei... Even if the fire demon were one to play such games with his mind, he'd said it with such nonchalance that it was impossible to brush off. The scent of fear prickled off of the fox, mingled and nearly over powered by his pure and utter disgust.

He felt sick all over again.

Kurama's hand lifted to his mouth, though not to hide silent laughter. Hiei had to be wrong, for all of the reasons he'd just explained to his husband and for many more. How could he possibly carry a child? A parasitic beast that was far worse than a tape worm. But if that were true it had to be connected to his stomach or intestines, either of which would leave the parasite to feed on waste. By that logic he should kill it simply out of kindness. The redhead turned towards his garden again. Hiei was wrong, he had to be, but on the off chance he wasn't, the fox would need stronger herbs to be rid of it.

Then he thought of those pitiful brown eyes Yusuke had sent his way, and he started running as fast as he could manage. Out of sight and out of ear shot... he managed to duck behind trees before he doubled over and the sound of retching could be heard if either of the fighting demons paused long enough in their bickering.

Their shots were taken. Although Hiei's were decidedly on Kurama's side as they went. They seemed to hit Yusuke much harder than he could. And when th e question was asked, though not as commonly as one might think given that Hiei was the one asking it, whether the temple master had considered how this did and could effect Kurama it gave the man pause entirely.

Hiei wasn't one to miss his chance to land a blow. But it didn't come in the form of a punch. "How about his reasoning for wanting to be rid of it? Even if it's the same as mine." But then they were both paused. The change in demeanor and flow had both sets of sensitive ears nearly perking as they heard Kurama wretch. Hiei's eyes narrowed on Yusuke. While vomitting in no way meant he was dying at the moment, it was a good time to make a point of it anyway. "Or much worse."

Guilt shocked Yusuke hard enough to pull away from sharp words and hurry over to Kurama. But he could feel the hot glare following after him even as hiei stayedin place and crossed his arms stubbornly. He wondered if the little man could tell Hythe thought had already come up forhim. But he had other things to worry about at the moment.

He was careful to keep his eyes from the fox once he'd recognized his huddled form well enough to know where to place his hands. "Sorry," he had to offer weakly. "I meant to make this quick then went off and got into it with Hiei." He felt to blame for slowing them down, assuming as one might that the same illness from it had taken over once again.strong hand rubbed back while the other collected the most hair it could find without looking. "I can give you that ride back," he offered further, a little meekly.

He would have been thankful for Hiei's defense of him, had he the mind for it. The smaller demon was putting into words and fists that, right now, he couldn't manage. Even if he had the strength for words, the fox simply didn't have the skills to best Yusuke in a fist fight, or even give him much of a challenge. His abilities were best used for stealth and trickery, not for straight up brawls; which seemed to be the only sort of fight that knocked some sense into the former detective. Kurama did make a mental note to thank the smaller demon for that later, in their own way. Comfortable silence between them was the usual. Actually, that sounded quite nice at the moment; he reading a book in the temple garden while Hiei napped in his tree, it was almost enough to sooth his twisting belly.

Almost.

Yusuke touched his shoulder, and Kurama's first reaction was to jump away from the touch, but as cool air touched the back of his neck the fox relaxed into the comforting hands. "Do not dwell on it, Yusuke," the redhead managed after spitting out the taste of vomit from his tongue. It didn't work.

Shuichi stood up straight slowly and wiped off his chin with the back of his hand. "This illness... this symptom would have come about before we reached the temple regardless." His face was still tinged green and the fox covered his mouth again, speaking through parted fingers. "I do not think that would be wise, these spells are a bit unpredicta-" As if to prove his statement Kurama hunched over again. He grasped the bark of a nearby tree trunk, moved the covering hand to his stomach and painfully heaved. It was dry aside from a thin stream of slime and spittle.

Tears clung to his eyelashes but thankfully didn't fall. He spat again, once, twice, before he chanced standing straight again. "Excuse me," he mumbled, trying to turn back to his herb garden with a bit of a sway. It took a few steps for him to correct himself into his proper posture. "Unfortunately, I have forgotten something." Kurama skirted around his husband to disappear passed the nearby hanging moss. Should Yusuke try to follow, he'd hear an unpleasant hiss from angry plants. Hiei, however, would find no problem. Something done unconsciously by the fox. Yusuke didn't want to see the poisonous plants he was going to pluck, and the fire demon wouldn't care. In fact he would likely approve.

Yusike was quiet as he pet at his fox, even continuing as he stood. He was careful to keep his eyes off him just in case. And he was glad for it when Kurama wretched again. He wouldn't have liked him to be looking. Confusion bubbled in his features but did little to battle away the worry stricken there. "Okay..." He didnt follow at first, The 'excuse me' being a thing he tended to catch on to when pointed at him. But his worry would t let or rest for long. He jumped a bit as the noise pointed at him, but backed away quickly enough. "Oookay...." looking around, he didnt see Hiei either.

Who had simply followed the fox back as he saw him coming, almost mindlessly. And yet mindful of his appearance. Hiei didn't tend to look at him through signs of weakness as it was. And his distaste for the situation only made that stronger. An annoyed look was landed nowhere in particular as his arms crossed over his chest. "What will you do?"

Before he could answer though Hiei continued. "You don't need a life sucking creature growing inside you. I doubt you would care to bring it to term. Am I wrong?... Although." A teasing smirk finally landed on Kurama. Of course, his teases almost always tended to look cruel. "I ha e to admit it might be interesting to see you have to go through something like that. What kind of parent would you be, Kurama?" The chuckle that followed seemed to indicate he had his own idea on it.

This time he didn't have to think on it. He turned to the plant he'd waved away before, the one that would leave him bedridden. He would need more than a remedy, he would need a poison. He still couldn't believe he'd conceived a child, but in order for Hiei's Jagan to pick up something there had to be some sort of creature growing inside of him; and he needed to be rid of it. He didn't even glance at his companion for the first question, as it was glossed over quickly. Surely Hiei could tell the answer, if only by the number of leaves Kurama was plucking from the plant. It coiled in pain, and the fox offered it a soothing croon that didn't match his expression in the least.

The tease did pull the redhead's attention, however. There was a rattling hiss from the foliage around them, not in anger, but in an attempt to hide his low voice from his husband's prying ears. "I was born in a litter of five," he started with a cool tone. "Three brothers and a sister." Green eyes fell on crimson, and they were cold. "My mother ate them." It was a harsh statement, but one he didn't falter from. The fox moved to leave the garden again, but paused beside the short demon to answer his question a bit less vaguely.

"I would be a hateful parent."

And with that, he regained his casual expression and strolled passed the hanging vines. The rattling stopped, and Shuichi managed a tired smile at his husband. "Shall we return?"

The man had been staring hard at the leaves. Not in an attempt to listen in or worry over the hissing they suddenly took up again. Although he had taken another step back with an angry 'what' shot at them in assuming it was at him again. The reason he'd been staring so hard though, was because he was simply willing his husband to return to him. His worry tended to get the better of him. Only he relaxed instantly as he was able to catch sight of and look him over. "Wanna ride?" The offer was put up again, this time with a silly chuckle and addition. "If you puke on me, I'll just have to take care of it. I'm totally ready to do that." He was.

But surprise caught his features as he noticed Hiei over his shoulder. Or rather, it was the color of surprise all over his face as he watched Kurama leave that caught his attention. That sort of look didn't tend to last so long on Hiei's face. He was usually pretty good at schooling it. Of course he didn't realize that Kurama had just morphed the pathetic picture in his mind into something else entirely... Not that it seemed to hit him too long regardless. Hiei settled down and followed with a light smirk on his lips. But Yusuke stole his line anyway. "Whats wrong with his face?"

A twitch hit it at the question. Why was that question sounding so different coming from Yusuke? Probably because it was just as slightly mocking as it sounded; just enough to be noticed. But he was a bit preoccupied with the information that had just been shared with him. A disinterested look fell over his features. However he continued to watch him. Honestly such a thing wasnt nearly as surprising to the smaller creature once thought on. His own circumstance was similar enough.

"No, but thank you. I would rather retain some of my dignity." While a ride back to the temple was one thing, vomiting all over his husband on the way there was another; and he was still queasy. Besides, when Hiei showed up Kurama tended to act a little more defiant and dignified. He hated the way the fire demon looked away from him whenever he showed the weakness he did so easily around Yusuke. To make up for it, the fox slid his clean hand around his husband's bicep in a light squeeze. "I hope this will suffice?" He questioned, hanging on the man's arm in a more proper version of what Yusuke tended to do to him.

Kurama glanced over his shoulder and just caught the look of surprise coloring Hiei's face. He resisted a humored hum. It was always fun to turn the young demon's thoughts around so quickly it left him stunned. "I am not sure, perhaps he has his own thoughts about the parasite that he has yet to share," he stated simply. "It does not matter. But if you must get into another fight about it. Do so away from my plants, or I will allow them to retaliate."

The stun that had hit his face was from a mind theatre that had attempted to.force him into imagining Kurama eating babies. It was a ridiculous sight in his own mind. So he'd changed his focus.

Yusuke smiled warmly as he was 'hung on'. He'd noticed the some differences in him in the past when Hiei was around. And since he didn't care enough to change his own behaviour around him he figured it wasn't so bad that one of them did. After all, it still seemed like those two were the closest when it came to Hiei's friend pool.. Well, aside from Makuro, of course.

That vanity of his was something he loved about him anyway. He found it absolutely adorable. And when he was given some form of sweet attention regardless there was really no complaining.

The temple master puffed up in his ever present bravado. "Ha! He wouldn't try," he teased out meanly. "It's obvious who was gonna win anyway. It's always me." Well maybe not always, but it only happened when he was distracted... as he was now.

Hiei made the movement in view of Kurama, offering him the chance to pull away before he landed his blow on the idiot. "Heh." The noise seemed to throw Yusuke off, his eyes popping open curiously with a similar noise in question.

It was fast. And it was harsh. So harsh in fact, that without being given the chance to protect himself it heaved a sharp noise from the former detectivewhile simultaneously throwing him right back through the reeds and into that garden.

An evil little cackle came from him before he turned expectant eyes on Kurama. He'd said the plants would retaliate after all. But the look changed and turned toward the garden as Yusuke began hollering from behind those reeds. He wasn't given time to smirk before a far too blatant look of confusion plastered over his face as laughter came along with it.

"N-nooo," he wailed. It was humorous though. And then it turned into full outburst of laughter. "K-kurama! Ahahhaha! H-Help! Ahahaha! It tickles-s-s!"

A frown touched his lips ad he stomped his a way over with a sour look. It smoothed into amusement though. It wasn't the type of torture he'd been expecting. But as he watched Yusukestruggle against that plant that had captured him before while simultanious attempting to pet in attempt of soothing it from the entire wrap it had taken around him, it was good enough. He was laughing, and the plant may or may not have cushioned the landing of his blow,but the misery teary eyes from that laughter seemed to be showing off was enough.

He landed a sharp, taunting laugh on him instead. Perhaps it was because he had never been a fan of the whole 'killing with kindness' scenario. But he hadn't thought to take it. The surprise and entertainment those tickling, loving leaves provided was just enough.

"Hiei wait!" The fox had just enough time to release the target before Yusuke was thrown through hanging vines. He reached out with a worried expression and exclamation. He reached out with his energy just in time to retreat the yellow flowers that had opened wide to catch their pray. Sharp needles were forced back and the petals returned to harmless buds as Yusuke crashed through the brush and finally fell victim to a friendlier plant. Relief washed over him and he made it know with a sigh.

The herb that had been searching for a hug from the temple master had now found its full bodied embrace. Thin tendrils tickled and furry leaves bet along every inch of exposed skin in a show of affection. It was torturing the poor man without even noticing. "Perhaps I should let it continue. You did bait him," the fox answered with a displeased frown. The toss had dug up a good deal of grass and earth, and the surrounding shrubs were shaking in both the urge to attack and anger at the destruction of their home.

"Did I not just ask you to avoid the garden?" He asked, turning his eyes on the smaller demon standing beside him. "You have crushed several of my plants." And sure enough, in the wake of Yusuke's fall there were several small bushes that had been smooshed into the dirt. They were gradually regrowing under their master's energy, but it was taking more than Kurama wanted to waste... He was tired.

Hiei's laughter stipped instantly. It was sudden enough that yusuke would have found it funny himself if he weren't preoculpied nearly rolling with laughter of his own that was becoming painful. "Hn." Arms were crossed and a sour look was landed on a random tree. It was possible a bit of a color shaded his cheeks but if it did it was hard to tell. "Yes. Well that wasn't on my mind." He, in fact, had been thinking about a deserved pain that might hit the temple master for his idiocy.

Yusike managed to sputter out a pathetic and stuttered 'please' in his redhead's direction. The petting he was offering was getting him nowhere.

Hiei nearly jumped out of his skin when a moment after his mini outburst one of those reeds he was standing near cracked across his cheek all of a sudden. "Hey!" He snapped back, offering a glare up at the foliage. A glare that was quickly turned from nonthreatening to threatening back on Yusuke as he started laughing harder. The man's eyes had been in their direction while pleading for help so he saw the retaliation.

He wasn't foolish enough to threaten a repeat performance at Yusuke verbally. He knew from experience the plants would take it as a threat as well. His intent hadn't been to hurt the garden; just Yusuke. Apparently the glare was enough though, because his cheek was slapped, or whipped, or whatever it was again. He jumped, this time covering his cheek and turning the almost pouty look back up on them.

Bastards. It wasn't like he'd hurt the garden on purpose.

"Be careful Hiei," the fox started as his vines cracked in the air and slapped over the fire demon's cheek in retaliation of the perceived attack. Again Kurama managed to keep them under control, and Hiei was left with nothing more than a small cut that was sure to heal in seconds. "You sleep among the trees."

Yusuke was left to suffer until the garden had rebuilt itself, the grass covering the divot and the shrubbery replanting its roots in the tilled earth. Only then did the fox force his energy into the playful herb and calm it. It warbled, displeased about having to let go of its new friend, but retreated when told. He found himself winded, but kept his breathing calm regardless of the heavy beat of his heart. This parasite was sucking the energy from his body. It was revolting.

"Now, if you two have finished bickering I would like to return home." His voice was as smooth as ever, but held a firmness to it that left no room for argument. He didn't cling to Yusuke this time, instead allowing his hands to rest in his pockets while he retained a comfortable posture.

The three fell back into silence and the return trip was thankfully quiet. It gave Kurama the chance to regain his strength and keep his composure. Which was a good thing, considering what met them upon their return.

The moment they stepped through the gate his ears were assaulted by Lilly's happy squeal. She rushed at him and practically leaped at the stunned fox who took a step back in hopes of avoiding her. No luck. Her grubby hands clenched in his gi and she looked up at him with big blue eyes and a bright smile. "'Rama! Is sissy oka-" She stopped and pursed her lips together tightly. She wasn't supposed to mention the baby, and she remembered what Yusuke said about it hurting Kurama's feelings. Still, she tried to clamber up into his arms.

Kurama had to stop himself from literally growling at the obnoxious child as he pried her off of his body and practically shoved her into Yusuke's arms. "Care for your stray," he demanded. "She should still be in her room." The little girls presence turned the redhead's mood sour, and that was quite clear in the way he stalked around the pair. "I must wash up, then I will rest in the temple garden." The statement came more as an invitation to the fire demon to meet him there, if he so chose. It was a quiet place for them to share in comfortable, silent companionship. "Hopefully it has not been torn up again."

With heavy, puffy breath the temple master scrambled quickly away from the plant when it let him go. Although he had the mind to offer a full pet straight from the base of the stalk to it's tip. After all, it really seemed to like him. And he didn't wanna make it think he didn't like it back. It was kinda sweet in its own weird way. Holding his stomach from the pain laughter had brought it, he followed the fox beside but a little behind him. It was his fault too after all. And he had a guilty, sorry look to land on him as the trekked.

Hiei was as quiet as usual. He didnt tend to talk much when it didn't suit him. In fact, the only time he did make a noise was when the monstrously shrill child attempted to climb on him. And it came in the form of a quiet, cruel chuckle. He was fine with those creatures hanging on anyone other than himself.

Yusike was quick to 'catch' the girl, not that It was difficult. Just a little sudden. But still he was expecting it. A side glance was landed on Hiei almost as if to say ' look what you did' but he corrected himself pretty quickly. Again, it was also his fault. "Kay," he offered lightly. "I'll get her back in there and check on dinner...." He peeked at Kurama as his hand plopped on the girl's head just before she started to make a proper fuss about wanting the fox; to calm her down of course. "Want me to come after?"

Hiei hadn't thought to ask. He simply made his way in that direction as it was mentioned. Although he paused a short distance away, an odd look of confusion twisting his face as he looked from the garden back to Kurama as the redhead approached.

Rin was lying in the grass on her belly over the area the bulbs had been dug up. He face was pressed heavily into the ground and the soft coo of gentle apologies and sweet nothings were being muffled heavily as she spoke them into the ground the best she could.

That wasn't all. Cooryn had taken up his favorite spot again. She was hiding her presence and stifling snickers as she arched Rin try to dig her face in the ground like an ostrich to have her voice heard. Of course, she was visible from their stand point, but if Rin noticed her she was ignoring it.

"If it is your desire," the fox answered with a dismissive wave of his hand before disappearing into the temple to wash his hands and face as well as brush his teeth from the vile taste that still lingered. It even mixed with the mint of toothpaste and mouth wash. It left him cringing in the mirror for several long seconds before he composed himself. The fox grabbed a book from the shelf, a favorite pass time when Hiei took the time to visit.

He didn't have to reach his garden before the scent of both Cooryn and Rin reached his nose, and he resisted a groan of frustration. They weren't allowed there for a reason. For several, in fact, but the most important being that it was a place for him to escape the sporadic life of an unwilling, surrogate parent. It seemed that Karasori's mistake was going to cost him his sanctuary. He was happy to find no one was digging anything up, and at a different time he would find Rin's attempt to sooth the plants she'd frightened amusing; but not now.

Cooryn was another story. He did feel bad for the succubus, but that tree was not planted for her; and its rightful owner was visiting now. Exasperation and annoyance twisted his features for several seconds before he stalked over to the child laying on her belly. "You have frightened them enough for the day, have you not?" The fox stared down at her coldly, his eyes trailing from Rin to the woman in the tree. "You both know you are not allowed to linger here, and my patience has been stretched thin."

The branch Cooryn was standing on began to move, and the tree began swatting her away as one would an aggressive fly. The grass beneath the dragon whelp grew into sharp blades meant to poke and stab at her painfully, but harmlessly until they were both chased from the area. He couldn't count how many times he considered planting carnivorous plants as guards, but Yusuke would not approve.

With his book held under his arm, Shuichi lifted a hand to pinch the bridge of his nose while the other cradled his elbow. Another headache was building.

Yusuke let off a couple blinks with an odd lpok on his face. But considering he was the only one standing there anymore he made his way inside.

Hiei only hadn't approached the two to scare them off himself because he was completely perplexed by the child who seemed to be trying to burrow into the dirt to be with the plants. He chuckled cruelly as that one turned to apologize only to make it part way through before squealing and running off. The other reason was because that curious little brat was the biggest offender of attempting to accost him with touches and questions.

Cooryn pouted at the redhead, the branch fazing through her as she hopped a bit into the air after the first one nearly got her. "Fine," she pouted out sorely before she was gone again.

The smaller male made his way into the garden and hopped up into his tree. "You have a lot on your hands." The conversational tone was barely off kilter for them. Sometimes he was silent. And sometimes he wasn't. He'd come to hide his interests in the redhead's life a little less over the years.

Crimson eyes turned in the direction Cooryn had been floating before she disappeared. "That one isn't safe to be around at all anymore," he added shortly. He wasn't just talking about the children. In fact, he didnt tend to worry about the little wretches. So his attention only landed on them when he was presented face to face with one. Perhaps it was what he smelled on her, not that he could place it. Something new about her simply read 'danger'.

His attention turned back down on Kurama. "Your moron seems to be willing to let you free of further annoyances for the most part," he chided lightly as he relaxed against the trunk. "But I doubt he really is... So." Despite not liking to repeat himself, he hadn't really asked for an answer then. And he was pretty curious. "What will you do?"

His opinion on the subject had been made clear of course. But he'd learned a long time ago it wasn't necessarily his opinion that mattered with such things. And just because Kurama had collected the plants didn't mean he would use them. He did have a tendancy to simply be prepared.

"Some days are worse than others," he returned before finding his place on the bench in the center of the garden. He relaxed himself against the cool stone and flipped open his book to the last page he'd been on. "No, she's not," the fox agreed with a shake of his head, eyes fixating themselves of the words written before him. "She's found an interest in souls, I fear she will find a taste for them in the future." A crease pinched between his eyebrows. "I will bring it up to Yusuke again, but the man won't budge. He is convinced that Cooryn is still a child to be protected and contained in the temple." He was already concocting ideas to change his husband's mind, but so many of them would fall short.

The question went unanswered for many long, silent moments. Green eyes trailed over the pages, but Hiei was not ignored, and the little fire demon would be able to tell that by now. Kurama was thinking. After all, he was still processing the information himself, and he still wasn't convinced that this was a baby, and not some creature implanted in him by a makai insect of some sort. "It is a delicate issue," he finally began. "I plan to ingest a toxin to be rid of it, but..." Kurama's lips pursed together tightly, and he glanced up at Hiei while he lounged comfortably in the blood scented tree. "I must first see what Yusuke will do." How he was going to do that was kept to himself.

A page was flipped, and the subject was changed. "How is Makuro? She was doing well, last I saw her." Though that had been a long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom