Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Seedling ((EDDE))

Surprise widened pretty green eyes before they hazed over. For a fraction of a moment, pain clouded his features as he turned to watch his lover walk away... He'd never done that before. Sure he'd been pulled away for one reason or another, usually due to Lily's constant need of him; but, Yusuke had never just flat out said 'no' to spending time together. Kurama had expected the temple master to react poorly to the purging of his system, that was the reason for this farce; but, the nonchalant rejection created a crushing sensation in his chest that nearly took his breath away. "Yes, perhaps tomorrow," he answered in a tone far too smooth for his inner turmoil.

Kurama's mind was a whirl of thoughts and scenarios that played out in rapid succession. This separation would only grow over time. How long before Yusuke stopped returning his kisses? Refused his nudges of affections? Turned away from him in bed? He couldn't imagine a night where he didn't fall asleep in his lover's arms while listening to him breathe... Except he could imagine it. Would that be his punishment for curing an ailment? Just because Yusuke had it in his head that men could suddenly become pregnant? Panic set in within his mind; and yet, the fox kept his smooth composure. Outwardly, he seemed just fine.

It helped to have a friend near by. The redhead couldn't help but smile, if only slightly, at Hiei's sudden appearance and 'demand.' The fire demon spoke a different language, one in which Kurama was fluent. He took the time to look over his student(s), and found himself warmed by the concern sent towards him by Keichi. "Take Cooryn inside and teach her how to play Shouji. Then play until I send for you or fetch you myself," he ordered with a slight softness in his tone. The game of concentration would help them both.

The fox waited in silence for them to follow his order, then turned his full attention on his friend. He was glad Hiei had decided to stay. The little fire demon had a way of soothing him, similarly and yet completely different from the way Yusuke could. "Would you like something warm, or simple?"

Karasori had stayed just long enough to see Hiei pop up before she rushed around the corner. It had taken her that long to drag her jaw off of the patio and remember how to blink. Hell must have frozen over, because it usually took a major crisis or screaming children to tear those two apart, and sometimes that wasn't even enough! Her beady black eyes had locked onto her 'Uncle Silver' for a little while, but she found herself wanting to be by her mentor's side more than his. Kurama was family... But so was Yusuke.

Long feet thumped on the wood as she hopped to catch up with the temple master. He'd been in kind of a funk lately, and she wasn't sure if he was sick or something, but she did know that Yusuke probably wasn't gonna talk about it.

"What are you talkin' about old man?" She asked with a cheeky grin. "You couldn't kick my ass if I were blind folded. You'd probably break a hip just tryin'." This was what she could do. This was all she knew how to do. Karasori was not one to talk about feelings either, she spoke with her fists; and so did her mentor.

While hiei hadn't 'appeared' again but had been sitting there silently since he'd found the spot, he was incredibly amused by how much his 'appearance' had startled the two children. Keichi wouldn't turn to look at him. But Cooryn had her curious crimson eyes on him a few times in the last few moments. This he had gotten used to in the past few days. The girl had started following him around; sometimes thinking she were sneaky, other times openly. It wasn't only her of course, but the only other heavy offender was Rin. Not knowing or understanding how the dragon kin worked he simply assumed she had a fascination with his use of fire. Her tedious questions on the subject helped that assumption along though.

Keichi might not have recognised it himself, but just a bit of that usual sharpness those eyes held bled out to soften them up just a smidge. Nodding out his understanding, he turned his attention on Cooryn quickly. "Come Cooryn. I will teach you a winning strategy so you may challenge the others and..." he had to think for a moment on how to word it. Not for his own wording of course. How would the moron twins put it?... He could think of one. "Ah. 'Pound them into the ground', as it were."

Cooryn tilted her head at Keichi's sudden and silly expansion of terms. With a soft chuckle she offered him a nod. "That would be interesting if anyone else knew how to actually play. Why don't you teach me something that'll beat Kurama down instead? I can't win against him for the life of me." Keichi had started walking as she chattered. He'd managed to distract her well enough to pull her away more quickly than usual and that was his only goal.

She continued chirping cheerily about the game when he told her such a thing would take far too long to learn, let alone teach. And he stopped short as they began to pass the redhead. She moved on still chatting, having gone off into her own world about some happening that had occurred recently. Large purple eyes tilted up along with his chin in order to meet the forest above him. The look on his face was a bit more readable than usual. He seemed a bit unsure still, and more than a little uncomfortable. This was because he'd again found that need to comfort his master in some way once he'd neared him; but he found himself incredibly lacking in much ability to do so.

Kurama was not Lily. He couldn't simply wrap his arms around his mentor and tell him everything was going to be okay like he did for her. He wondered if the loving little girl would be able to help the situation easier than he could if she weren't busy training her healing abilities with Miss Yukina at the moment. But wondering such things wouldn't help him in this situation. Nor would it move it along. What he decided on was a few simple parting words. And it seemed that dispite his distaste for showing off the warmth he had in that chilly heart of his he couldnt hide the way his tone was slightly softer than usual as well.

"This may help with her training a bit as well in keeping up her focus." That wasn't the warm part of course; simply his way of acknowledging his understanding of why he'd been faced with this task. Not wholly for the training of course. He understood that it was mostly the focus. "Thank you Master Kurama. I would enjoy a game with you once you've finished your engagement." With that he was quick to hurry after the excitable imp.

Yusuke turned a curious look down on Karasori as she taunted him. Because now there could be no denying there was definitely something up with him. Because despite how deep her 'old man' teases usually jabbed he wasn't bothered by it at all at the moment. And because this told him a lot more than it would tell nearly anyone else. He wondered vaguely if he should go and talk to Yukina about his condition. Maybe he was sick or something.

"Alright kid. Don't tempt me here," he offered back in that serious/not serious tone of his that tended to throw her off. Sometimes she even worried about that tone. And he doubted she knew it was taken on purposefully when he needed it. "I ain't in the best of moods so it won't take much for me to teach you a real lesson when we get out there." 'There' referred to the area Yusuke had been taking her lately to train. It was away from the temple and posed much less of a threat there. On top of that the secluded area had several different landscapes close at hand that made it easier to train her in different environments.

Despite his tone he lifted his hand and plopped it onto the girl's head as they walked. "Thanks." He didn't rub, ruffle, or scritch. He simply landed it there and let it stay until she brushed it off or he was satisfied that he'd made the point of his appreciation toward her attempt. "Don't worry though," he added through a light smile that almost felt too heavy to be able to form. "I'll figure out what the Hell is wrong with me soon..." Thinking about that within that bubbly thoughtful look of his, he couldnt help but chuckle at it after a moment. "I mean what's going on with this. I don't think anyone could figure out what's wrong with me all together in a million lifetimes. I'm an enigma." The last part was boasted proudly in that cheery way of his. No need to get all serious until they got to the clearing they were headed toward.

A thoughtful but short lived hum left Hiei's chest as he looked up and watched some leaves dance before turning his attention to the sky peeking between them. "Something tedious and time consuming," he teased in that dead tone of his. It was more than just a tease however. Kurama spoke 'Hiei' quite fluently. Because of this he was quite sure the redhead understood his tease was also his way of showing at least a slight understanding of his needs in this situation. If Kurama had something to focus on it might be a little easier on him.

There was also another thing, this one not quite as obvious; or at least Hiei didn't think so. It came in the form of his next sentence. "Yes that sounds fine. Make me sushi." As far as he understood sushi required concentration and time of course. But he also happened to know that it was something the fox greatly enjoyed. And while Hiei might not know the greatest deal about 'feel good foods' he did recognise that sometimes certain foods tended to make everyone around here, including himself, feel good.

Upon making his demand he hopped down from the tree. He'd obviously planned on lounging in it before now. But he had something else to do now. Something that might prove entertaining to watch amoung other things.

He didn't want Keichi to be able to see it, but he knew his calm eyes only barely hid a storm of turmoil; and, Keichi was sure to see through it. Neither one of them would openly admit to the connection they had grown as Master and Student. In fact Kurama would flat out deny any bond between himself and Yusuke's strays, but there was one here. Long nights spent in meditation, week long shogi match marathons, intense physical and mental training that strongly bordered on abuse... Those few days out in the forest and away from the temple that lead to deeply personal conversations and advice. There was no doubt in his mind. He liked this kid, and Keichi liked him too.

Just that offer for a match was enough to quell some of the raging thoughts. "I will look forward to it," the fox assured before they turned away. He stared in the direction of their departure even when they left his sight. His attention returned to the guest of the temple and released a quiet chuckle. "Of course," he answered, turning to lead the way back inside. "Though, if your heart is set on Sushi you will have to wait quite a while." Shuichi slid open the rice paper door and stepped inside, his bare feet soundless on the floor boards. "Such a dish will take hours, and will likely not be completed until tomorrow."

A frustrated grunt escaped the fox as the sound of Tory and Rin's squabbling reached his ears. He couldn't tell what they were fighting about, most of their bickering was childish and high pitched squealing. Those two were the usual cause of his headaches, which were becoming easier and easier to start. At least they faded after a few minutes of quiet... If he could find any. Kurama picked up his speed a little, his hands held in his pockets in an attempt to hide his clenching fists.

When they came into view they were on the floor in the kitchen in a tangle. Tory had the dragon kin's tail in both hands to yank on it with all of his might, using leverage created by his foot in her stomach. Rin had the younger boy by the hair to pull on it just as cruelly as he was to her tail. Both had tears in their eyes, and both were yelling insults at each other than Kurama had heard a thousand times before. For some reason, these two hated each other, and yet always gravitated towards each other. One was rarely seen without the other.

"Rin! Tory!" Kurama's words were commanding, and sharp. Both children froze, then leaped away from each other... For the most part. Tory still held the scaly tail in his hands until he saw the icy gaze in Master Kurama's eyes, then he released it. Still, he crossed his arms and snuffed his nose up into the air. Rin, on the other hand, looked submissive in her stance; eyes turned down and to the side, her hands clasping the hem of her dress. Ever since the incident with to Toyaku plants she reacted much more to the fox's scoldings.

"Where are you?" Kurama asked coolly.

The kids looked at each other, then around them and up into those sharp green eyes. "The kitchen," they answered in unison.

"And what do you do in the kitchen?"

"Cook?" Rin answered and Tory snuffed. "Where you and the fairy cook."

Kurama chose to ignore that. Having to scold the children in front of Hiei was embarrassing enough through its complete domestication, he didn't want to prolong it. "Are you cooking?"

They answered in unison. "No."

"What are you doing?"

Rin shuffled on her feet, and even Tory was getting a little uncomfortable under the continued stare. She was the one to answer. "Fighting..."

"And where does fighting take place?"

"Um..." Rin nibbled her lip and Tory chirped in, suddenly happy to know the answer. "On the training grounds!"

"Correct." The three of them stared in silence for several long seconds before Kurama snapped a demanding, "Go!"

The dragon whelp and human child scampered to get away, and while Tory darted away as soon as possible, Rin paused when she saw Hiei. She started to open her mouth to asked a question, but was silenced with Kurama's, "Now!" Then she scampered away. The fox knew they were too frightened to start their fight again right away, if they even remembered what they were fighting about in the first place.

Shuichi lifted a hand to pinch the bridge of his nose right between his eyes, and tilted his head up a bit. A sigh left his lips as he clenched his eyes shut and a cringe twisted his features for a moment, then his expression relaxed. "What I would not give to spend a few days in the Makai," he started before his eyes opened and he looked down at his companion. "At least the screams of the damned can be silenced swiftly, and permanently." The words themselves were harsh, but his tone was lighthearted. He was sharing in a morbid humor he could not partake in with anyone else. The fox even started to smile.

---

A chill rolled down her spine when Yusuke took that tone. She'd seen that go one of three ways; absolutely horribly, really freakin' amazing, or no where at all. "You can try," she tested. As they left the patio and started towards the gate, the rabbit stood up onto her toes. This let her walk, rather than hop, beside her master. It also gave her a good 6-7 inches of extra height, and would provide more leverage and agility during their training. "Mm?" Despite that, she still had to look up at the man when he placed a hand on her head.

Heat rushed to her cheeks, which she promptly puffed out. Her head turned away and she crossed her arms over her chest. "I didn't do nothin'," she insisted. "I don't care if you're sick, not at all!" Karasori was laying it on thick, but that was the usual. She would fight anyone who said she gave even two shits about this guy, but... When no one else could help her, when no one else would help her, this guy took her under his wing; and she liked it there.

"Don't go getting mushy on me pops. Hey, I'll make you a deal. If you can teach me to blast down a tree on purpose, I won't call you 'old man' for a whole week."

Yusuke's head tilted slightly as he watched the girl boast. How freakin familiar was that look? He was starting to wonder to himself if she was always like that or had just spent way too much time with him since she got here. He might even feel a little bad for her if he was rubbing off on her; only a little. With a heavy chuckle he pulled his hand away. But not before giving sensitive ear a slight flick. Just enough to annoy. "Chea right. I ain't no miracle worker Kid. Let's stick with something easy like... I dunno. Keeping you off your ass when I smack you upside the head." He chuckled cruelly. "Although that might take you even longer." He poked his tongue out at her before picking up his pace and turning chocolate eyes on the woods. "Well, c'mon then. I guess we better find that poor tree if we're ever gonna figure it out."

--

Crimson eyes stayed forward as they walked. "I guess you'll have something started for lunch tomorrow then," he mused quietly. Annoyance twisted his own features at the sound of those tiny voices for his own reasons. Although it was surprising easy to get used to walking in to such a situation after only a couple days. That wasn't to say it didn't still annoy the Hell out of him though.

As Kurama scolded the children he made use of the time to think for himself, watching idly with a bored expression as he mastered the little annoyances as if he knew precisely how to scare them into submission naturally. Well, thinking on it he probably did. Kurama had always been someone who the fire demon was sure could demand utter obedience out of just about anyone no matter what form he took; or means he used to get there.

A chuckle rumbled his chest as the redhead spoke to him again. He'd ignored the dragon whelp completely, choosing not even to look at her as she moved to address him. "They could be silenced permanently here as well," he offered cruelly. Not that it would happen. "Your mark on swiftness says enough toward it."

Dropping the subject he came back to the first as he looked around the kitchen. "Fried tofu won't take all day," he added as those sharp eyes landed on the cupboard that held the teas and mixed drinks. The reason he knew this would be obvious to the fox. He did fixate on his sister quite a bit after all. "And hot choclate," he demanded smoothly. Hiei's liking for sweet things was on par with Kurama's. There was even a chance he was more gluttonous than the redhead when it came to them. But hot chocolate wasn't high on his own list. While he had no problem accepting it there were things he would definitely choose before it given the chance usually.

His attention lifted up to forest eyes and that sour-not-sour look.was landed on him. "That shouldn't be too difficult for you should it?" The teasing question was meant to make light of his requests. Although he had no doubt that Kurama knew by now exactly what his motives were. And so long as he didn't say anything toward it, Hiei had no problem with that. He wasn't being very sneaky in his attempts after all. He just didn't need anything as foolish as thanks to be landed on his shoulders for it. Honestly, Kurama could make whatever he wanted. Hiei could care less. But if his efforts were touched on there was achance the fox would be eating hos favorite snacks on his own.

"Wishful thinking," he responded near flippantly. "I cannot even convince Yusuke to allow me the use of duct tape. Used correctly that could give us several hours of quiet." His amusement faltered for a fraction of a second before he returned his focus to Hiei. The fire demon wasn't given any spoken gratitude, but once he realized what his friend was doing the fox's shoulders lost a little tension, and that smile became a tad more genuine. "I believe I can manage."

Fired tofu hadn't even come to mind until Hiei suggested it, but now that it was out there Kurama felt a ravenous need for it. His mouth watered and a phantom taste tingled on his tongue. How strange... He ignored it, and instead went searching for what was needed to make their meal. Though, he did pause before turning on the burner. "Hold on, just one moment," he requested before disappearing down the hall.

He returned several minutes later and handed a rolled up poster to the fire demon. "Look over those," he started, returning to his preparations. He'd just given Hiei schematics for Koenma's castle, with detailed plans for a silent infiltration into the King's Vault. "We can discuss them in more detail, if you are interested."

---

Karasori sputtered as her ear was flicked and she was called out. "Fuck you too Old Man!" Without her consent her foot fell into its usual thumping, though the sound wasn't as prominent in her current stance. It stopped, however, and she nodded her head with an excited sound before running out into the forest with her Master to find that tree. "I'll get it right this time," she declared, more for her own benefit than Yusuke's. Blowing up a tree wasn't her goal, she didn't even have to break one, she just wanted to have some control over these blasts of power.

If she could make a spark on her own, it would be everything; but her bravado couldn't allow her to tell him that. She wanted to blow things up, to kick ass, to beat the shit out of bad guys and Yusuke both. That was who she wanted to be.

They hurried on with Yusuke leading the way. And they travelled for long enough that Karasori might have started getting itchy about their run. It was taking a while. And while yusuke might have done so on purpose just to annoy her in some cases, he was actually pretty focused right now. And when he finally did slow the trees were becoming fewer and farther between.

When he finally informed her they were almost there the area was almost looking barren. He knew by then his student should be getting annoyed with him. Because just like it seemed, he was doing no such thing as what they'd discussed. At least not before their detour. Stopping had them at the base of a large rocky cliff. A river nearby had a large waterfall divided well enough by large rocks and boulders that it split itself into smaller cascading waterfalls that flowed into it much less torrenrially than the large one on its own would.

A dark, devious grin was turned on the girl as he twirled and placed his hands behind his back as if he were a child hiding something from sight. "Hey Bunny. You know what a glacial fed river is?"

--

Hiei might not have the patience to deal with the mini beasts that ran rampant around the temple these days. But he had ample amounts of it for watching the redhead cook. Or rather, the quiet that would now befall the kitchen. Tory and rin were aware they were in there. The word would spread and no one would dare come bother them for at least a little while. Kurama's bark had left them much more fearful of his bite over the past few days.

That same bored look crossed over his features as the fox scurried off again and Hiei's hands slid into his pockets as he leaned against the wall just inside the door frame to wait as requested. Confusion marred his features as he was handed the rolled up papers. It switched itself over to surprise, and then intruige, once he actually opened them up to look them over. Without realizing it he'd stepped through the frame and laid them out on the table. His silence said everything as he looked them over. This was certainly more interesting than watching him cook.

Last edited:
Keeping up was easy. Yusuke wasn't going all that fast to begin with, and the rabbit was incredibly nimble; but, the further they went the more irritated she became. The trees she'd been hoping to 'blow up' were getting more and more scarce, and Bunny's grumbling became more and more audible until they came to a barren area that was filled with almost nothing but a cascading waterfall. Her ears perked, then flopped down to save them from the crashing noise of water on rocks.

"What are we doing here?" She grumbled at her teacher while sending him a very displeased glare. One that faltered when he took a pose she knew very well. It meant that she wasn't going to like whatever he had in mind. Karasori's doll like eyes turned suspicious and her feet shifted on the ground, ready to bolt if need be. "Noooo," she answered. "Why?"

--

While Hiei looked over the plans, Kurama busied himself with cooking one of his favorite meals. His stomach growled aggressively as the tofu fried and the delicious scent caressed his sensitive sense of smell. He found himself having to swallow several times due to what he felt was an excessive amount of mouth watering, but again he decided not to think on it; or try to, at least. The fox had found his thoughts to be a bit erratic without Yusuke's near constant affections. He'd become addicted to the man... That shouldn't be a bad thing...

Shuichi shook his head to try and clear his thoughts, but they continued to drift towards symptoms and repercussions. He found himself second guessing his decision to wait on the purging. How long was he prepared to wait?

The scent of warm milk caught his attention and he looked at the pot holding the slowly warming milk, and added in the cocoa powder in a generous portion. Hiei liked chocolate almost as much as he did, the fire demon wouldn't mind a slightly thicker cup of hot cocoa.

Through his mental turmoil, the fox completed their meal and brought plates over to the table. "You said to bring you plans," he started smoothly while setting one down beside the schematics for his vertically challenged friend, as well as a mug of hot chocolate. He took his own place opposite Hiei and took a slow sip of his hot drink. "I hope these are to your standards." And they should be, they were more than meticulous.

Hiei's focus on the previously rolled papers was keen enough that he didnt look up once as the redhead finished making them their meal. Then again, there was so much there to go over he wasn't entirely finished by the time the scent of fried tofu and chocolate became tonoverwhelming within the room to ignore the fact that Kurama had joined him. Still, he was quiet for several long moments as he finished looking over the area he was getting through. The pls. Was ridiculously, practically insanely detailed. The back up plans' fall backs had back up plans. And while he couldnt complain for the meticulous planning he'd branched out into, it begged the most immediate response.

Crimson eyes slid over to the redhead as he pushed the large papers forward and out of the way for later contemplation before picking his mug up in one hand and plucking up a piece of fried tofu with chopsticks in the other. He took a nice long drink of the hot liquid and followed it immediately by a bite. The silent pause as he watched him was to allow what he'd gone over to sink in properly for debate as to whether it was feasible. The original plan in itself was simple; and more than simply doable between the two of them.

His attention travelled down to the items in his hand curiously as another thought crossed his mind that was slightly distracting. However before exploring that further he did offer a mention of his over all approval in that odd way of his. "You have far too much free time on your hands."

With his sights still on the food he curiously dipped the small bite of tofu left into the cup and popped it into his mouth. He had no idea why he felt the need to try it so badly. But after having tasted them in succession he simply had. A preen rolled through him strong enough to force him to pause still poking the chopsticks into his mouth. Although he recovered enough to finish the bite and hold back the greater portion of the disgusted face the mixture caused him to pull; not the entirety of it though.

--

"Really?... huh..." The curious look that fell over him when she answered almost looked innocent. And the addition he had had him turning that innocent look up on the waterfall. "I sure do," he chuckled out in what probably seemed like an oddly warm tone all of a sudden after he'd looked so wicked right before it.

"Anyway. Here's what you're gonna, and I mean gonna do." Just as she knew his stance he could read hers. She was ready to take off in another direction just in case he had something real bad up his sleeve she might not have caught onto yet. And he knew that stance cause he'd taken it plenty of times before himself. "Actually I'll just show you. And you can follow my lead," he offered in that same tone as he walked toward the water.

That's right. The first time she brought him here he was so exhausted he could barely keep his eyes open. It was why she kept bitching at him to pay attention. Having pushed him to his absolute limit the crone had forced him to hike all the way out here despite the fact that he barely had proper use of rubbery legs. And even now he had no idea what all she'd said to him because despite his argument otherwise he hadn't had enough function to pay proper attention to her.

"I said pay... attention!"

"Ow! I was, dammit!" He remembered thinking on how crappy the old woman was for throwing that rock at him point blank. Although he couldn't remember the exact insult he'd tossed at her for it. There had been so many over the years.

Genkai huffed out an annoyed grunt and continued on. If he weren't paying attention now, he sure as Hell would be soon. "Fine. This is a glacial fed river you're standing in front of."

"Noooo. That's a waterfall," he interrupted snarkily. "Come on Gramma, I know you aint that senile ye--OW! FUCK! Gimme a break!"

"Can it or the next break you get will be your nose, Dumbass! I'm not gonna spoon feed you this crap forever so stare at the pretty rainbows and play games on your own time, dammit." The argument persisted a few more rounds back and forth before they could get any further, at least three more rocks being thrown if he remembered right. The last one was by him. And he'd missed horribly. The mock and embarrassment for that had been what finally calmed things down.

"So did you get all that, Dimwit, or did a fall asleep half way through again?" When he didnt respond right away annoyance pierced her features all over again. "Do I need to beat it into you or just throw more rocks?"

"I got it!" The angry, hollered response had been him purely bucking up to the threat shed tossed at him. In fact, he'd barely heard more than a few words here and there.

"Fine." She pointed to an area of the waterfall that was obscured by such a huge boulder that it had broken the cascading falls down to a measly dribble that would be little more than the pressure of a shower head. "I'm sure you can handle it right there weakling. Just don't get clumsy and crack open the rocks with your head."

Wait... was he supposed to go over there?... that was a dumb question. And he was pretty sure the look on his face had been just as dumb honestly. But having boasted listening he was quick to scurry his way over when angry eyes with a lack of patience turned down on the ground to search out another close stone. The closest one was pretty big. He was more willing to brave the water and slippery wet stones than that being tossed at him. And then...

"Oh f-f-fuck! It's f-f-freezing~!" He'd practically dove in. And the sudden chill was so bad it had literally shocked him senseless for a good long moment before he'd hopped right back out and landed gracelessly on the ground because he wasn't ready for the sudden movement on rubber legs.

"No shit Sherlock. I just told you it's glacial fed."

"Like I know what that..." his retort was cut off by a sharp groan as he wrapped his arms over his head and rolled around a little . "Ugh! I got brain freeze after like two seconds!"

"You'd have to have a brain for that. Must be something else." With a sigh she stepped forward, grabbed him by the scruff of his shirt, and tossed him right back under like she was in a disk throwing match or something. "And you it wouldn't be so bad if you hadn't dove in head first in the first place, Moron! Now if-- Quit drowning and pay attention! The next rock will be big enough to stick you to the bottom."

"Fine, geez! You're no fun!"

A heavy chuckle flowed from Yusuke's chest as he shook off the sudden trip down memory lane staring up at the falls had brought about. "Alright," he offered in letting the girl know he was back on track. Following the smooth row of stones into a gentle area of downpour Yusuke sat on one of the larger ones under the falls. A large boulder split the water here and caused it to come down a lot lighter than anywhere else in the pit. And once he'd gotten comfortable with crossed legs and set posture he leaned over and pat the stone just next to his. "Come have a seat."

He wondered if Genkai had actually explained the purpose of this excersize to him before they'd started it. Although even if she had he didnt plan on showing the girl the same curtesy. Not yet at least. No, chocolate eyes were focused heavily on the girl. He hadn't even given her the courtesy of explaining what she was about to walk in to.

Admittedly he'd been much more cruel than usual to her lately. Not that he'd say so out loud or even be willing to apologize for it. A somewhat lesser known sadistic streak in him had been being well fed by his charge; and honestly it was something he could distract himself well with. Thinking back on all the horror me things he'd done to her lately was even enticing now for the glee it set throigh him. But there was something else for him to focus on at the moment. He might not be cruel enough to toss her in to sink or swim but...

The fox hummed through a sip of his hot chocolate at Hiei's comment. The mug was set down and chopsticks took its place in his right hand. "Yes, well," he started. "If I am not training Keichi, juggling Yusuke's restaurant chain, or wrangling wayward children, I am left to my own devices." That had been said with a bit more disdain than was intended. Usually his free time was spent with the young temple master, or at least spent trying to seduce the man away from Lily; but, recently... Recently Yusuke was hardly willing to look at him. All he had for comfort was the lingering energy that warmed him whenever he was alone.

Blinking out of the wandering thoughts, Kurama returned his attention to his guest. He had to stifle a chuckle at Hiei's expression, and did so with a piece of tofu. It was heavenly. Were he an impulsive creature he would have groaned in delight. Instead, he ate with his usual poise and grace. With a happy glint in his eyes.

Curiosity got the better of him, and the fox couldn't help but give Hiei's test a try for himself. The fried tofu was dipped in his hot chocolate then quickly lifted to his mouth to avoid any dripping. The texture was a little... mushy? But the delicious new flavor made up for it. So he did it again before returning to a conversation. "The guard stations have not changed since our last attempt." Was it considered an 'attempt' if they had come out successful? Regardless, "And security has gotten lazy since the barrier's fall. The king's vault is poorly guarded at best; however," the fox took a bite of tofu as is. The tone of his voice was returning to normal, so it seemed Hiei's attempt at consoling him through food was working. "One can never be too careful. Even trusted informants can be mistaken."

---

That innocent look was freaking her right the fuck out, and the little bunny took a sneaky step in the opposite direction; only to sharply preen when she was addressed. Karasori's long ears perked up tall and her fluffy little tail stood still as the fur fluffed out. Even her hair stood on end before everything fell back into place with a heavy droop. "Stupid old man," she grumbled, crossing her arms in a huff to await instructions... Only for Yusuke to stare up at the waterfall like it held all the answers to the damned universe. The longer he stared, the more uncomfortable she became, and started to inch away. Maybe she could make an escape while he was lost in lala land. Instead she followed after him towards the water with more than a huff.

"Finally. What, thinkin' about the 'good ole days'?" She said with a sneering jibe. Her insults had gotten a tad more mean spirited lately; though, only in retaliation for the horrors Yusuke had been suscepting her to. She watched him make his way across the wet stones while pinching her ears tightly to her head to spare them from the loud roar of the waterfall. The mist was chilly, and when she put her paw on the first stone she preened all over again and hopped backwards. "That's freezing! Fuck that!" She declared, puffing out her cheeks at her mentor.

"Well," he mentioned snarkily just after the redhead gave his complaint. "Apparently that's too much." Although he wasn't honestly defending the words he'd had in offering his approval. And he didn't say anything else to it, allowing Kurama to continue uninterrupted by taking another bite of his own food. Oddly, the snack was making him hungry. Or at least hungry for more. He should have made him cook something else since it seemed to have helped his mood some. Hindsight and all.

Despite looking as bored as that mute face often tended to he was listening intently to the information being provided. This was a fools errand after all. And if they acted as such while doing it the consequences were bound to be devastating. It was a thought had revisited many times since making the initial mock suggestion; though it hasn't changed his conviction any less. If anyone were actually going to be able to get away with something like this it would certainly be the two of them.

And somewhere within the jumble of thoughts and feelings over the idiotic idea was a sense of nostalgia. It wasn't something he had the care to feel often either. So it was more than a little exciting to say the least. "Why use an informant if you aren't sure you van trust their information?" This was mentioned light heartedly. To be perfectly honest there wasn't a single informant that could truly be trusted. They played sides as needed and usually wouldn't hesitate to turn cheek for their own hides. And that was simply the risk you took when ever using an informant. The question had been a short attempt at light banter.

A smirk slid across thin lips as crimson eyes finally moved from food, drink, and paper, to fall directly on the fox. This signaled the end of playful interaction and a switch in tone signaled his seriousness. "When, exactly, do you suppose you'll be up for this little trip? It's obvious it'll need to be done soon. What's our time frame?"

--

Yusuke puffed up a bit at the tease. Because he was, in fact, remembering the good old days. And the fact that it was true only made his offense sharper. Dark chocolate eyes narrowed on the teen as she moved closer, the aloof attitude from before having drifted away somewhere between the distraction and her closing in.

He didn't say anything in retaliation to her teasing. And that alone should have told her he'd finally decided to be serious. When she jumped back however a low, whining groan bubbled from his chest and warped his face into one of those silly, idiotic looks. "Maaan, you weren't supposed to figure that part out so faaast," he whined as if all the fun had been ruined. Taking in an exuberant breath that pretty sit of his turned to a heavy hunch.

However, within the short moment it would have taken for him to let it out in an annoyed, huffy sigh, instead he was quite suddenly standing at her side again. The girl was scary strong to be sure. Her problem was the lack in honing those skills. And she had no chance of catching a serious, fast move if he didn't want her to. Not like this anyway.

And just as quickly he reached out and snatched up folded down ear in a sure pinch that he already knew was painful enough with the small twist he put in it; though not enough to actually cause her harm. There was that, and the fact that it captured her in place. Because if she did try to escape with that grasp, she actually was liable to cause herself some harm.

"Listen up, you little punk," he offered shortly as he landed that same serious look down on her from before. The one that was intimidating purely for the dark glint it put in those mindless chocolate eyes of his, and not for a need he didn't have against the girl to put his face close in an attempt that wouldn't be nearly as stunting. "I ain't showin you this little gem of an exercise for my own health. I told you tah do somethin and I plan on seein it done." And now he did lean a bit closer. Because the effect would be much more felt. "So unless you want me to make it happen by tossin you in ears first so you can get used to the chilly little river, I suggest you get your happy ass tah hopping them rocks to the spot I was pointin to a second ago. Got it?"

The fox chuckled softly. "Even the most basic of demons need a place, Hiei. One could almost call the employment a 'charity service.'" If charity involved threats and coercion. When it came to gathering intelligence of this magnitude there was bound to be a bit of a gamble, so he loaded the dice as well as he could and made plans for any and all scenarios, just in case. Kurama did not like to leave things to chance, even when rolling the dice. The humor in his expression evened out quickly enough as Hiei looked over the papers again.

Lifting the mug up to his lips, the redhead took a sip of the still hot cocoa; then placed it down in front of him to wrap both hands around the heated cup. "I would like to disembark by the end of the week, if possible. I do not know how long this... distance, between Yusuke and I will last," he kept his expression neutral despite the slight hesitation. "But I plan to use it to our advantage and finish this project of ours before he even notices out departure."

---

The moment she saw him hunch Karasori turned to run, and to her credit she got in a few feet before he was at her side. She was getting faster, just not anywhere near fast enough. "Ow! Ow, leggo!" She yelped, trying to tug her ear free but finding that her attempts were only causing her more pain.

Bunny's eyes had shut tight in a cringe, and when they opened again she found herself face to face with her mentor; and he had that scary look in his eyes that had her questioning her safety. Not that she'd ever admit to feeling that way; but her nose started an involuntary twitching that gave her away regardless. The young demon shrunk down as Yusuke leaned closer, and her nose twitched faster. Beady black eyes darted to the 'chilly little river' and she wondered just how deep it was; because, despite all the time they had spent together, Karasori had been able to keep one humiliating secret from her teacher.

She couldn't swim.

The rabbit shuffled uncomfortably, then exploded in boisterous bravado; standing tall and puffing out her chest while flapping her arms at Yusuke to get him to let her go. "Alright alright already! I can't do anything with you gripping my ear like some crab or somethin', leggo!"

Once she got herself free (or rather, once Yusuke let her go. There was no way she would be able to escape his grasp on her own; but she'd never admit to such a thing) the rabbit shook her head and pet over the battered ear to sooth away some of the lingering pain; then, while grumbling insults under her breath, Karasori headed a little bit away from the bank, though wasn't trying to escape. The thought of sitting under freezing water and soaking her fur straight down to the root was enough to make her shiver; and she came to the conclusion that, if her fur was gonna be freezing then she would at least have dry clothes to get into when they were finished with this brand new torture. So, without shame the rabbit demon began to undress. Yusuke had seen her practically naked before; sparing sessions that lasted for days always had them both losing their shirts and she really didn't care. She'd gotten her modesty, or lack there of, from her mother. The only time she felt uncomfortable was when there was lust in the eyes of the people she was around, like Cooryn. She knew for a damn fact that her teacher didn't think anything of her body, other then how to make it stronger.

The shirt was pulled off first and was unceremoniously dropped to the ground. Her skin was tan, but with a clear line around her collar. She was muscular, something that was often hidden under the loose fabric of her gi. Strongly defined muscles that contrasted starkly with her rounded, almost baby-like face. Tight bindings covered her near non-existent breasts, something only done out of necessity (Despite their small size it still hurt when they bounced around in a fight), and to avoid getting caught by Cooryn.

A line of fur started just bellow her belly button and grew thicker and thicker further down. In fact the the faded underwear she was wearing was completely unnecessary, the heavy coat would have been more that enough to keep her covered in any position; but she kept them on even if they irritated her fluffy tail, to hide from Cooryn.... There was a pattern here...

From the waist down she was 100% rabbit, from the fur to the structure of her legs and feet; and from the waist up she looked pretty much human, aside from the wild and untamed hair, bucked teeth that somehow managed to look cute, and of course, those long floppy ears.

Karasori hopped over to the water's edge and looked at the freezing stones that her teacher had ordered her to climb onto. She lifted a long foot and touched the pads of it onto the surface of the stone and reflexively jumped back with a full body preen that fluffed out her fur; but she knew that whining at Yusuke wouldn't get her out of this, so tried again with the same result, then again and again. It had to have been a sight both hilarious and pathetic. "Stupid fucking old grandpa, tryin' a kill me fer days," she muttered and grumbled. "Now he wants me ta get hypothermia and die. Stupid stupid...."

Yusuke would have let go immediately once she started her imitation of an overweight bird trying to fly, but not until he was sure she wasn't going to bolt again. The puffy look that immitated a different kind of bird almost told him enough but he waited until she'd agreed verbally anyway. There was a short debate as to whether or not he would tease her about the change in animal she'd suddenly taken on. And he almost did when she compared him to a crab.

Look Keiko, I'm a crab! The sudden intrusion of 'the good old days' once again flooding his mind was what stopped him. Using the stupid tactic in attempt at cheering the girl up wasnt a bad intrusion at all. Actually it was almost enough to make him smile.

What came instead was a frown. As his charge started the saddest game of tag ever with a rock he couldn't help but find it disturbing instead. Things like this usually brought up thoughts of Kurama. It had been a long damned time since he'd been reminded of Keiko like that instead. And he'd been so weird around his husband lately he just couldn't stop himself from worrying over it. What did it mean?

He needed a moment to rationalize this for himself. Luckily his student was being at least about half as pussyfoot as usual; which gave him more than the moment he needed. And what he came up with was pretty simple. Because aside from cooking it for him and calling him it every once in a while when the redhead was in a shit mood, he couldn't remember ever doing much of anything related to a crab to cheer up Kurama or anything. With his husband he was more prone to acting like some form or other of a dog. And that was spurred on by their own personal running joke.

The rationalization made him feel a little better; but not nearly enough. And he could figure the lack had to do with the rest of the guilt he was harboring over the fact that he was acting so weird around his lover.

And he could tell he was about to make things way too complicated for himself if he kept this up. So he used every ounce of focusing power he had to force his mind away from it and back on his student.

It wasn't exactly working. Although her antics were beginning to slide an amused grin over his lips. "Geez," he complained with a heavy huff as he forced the look away in order to land the less friendly one she was more used to on her instead. "Talk about 'tender foot'. Stop being such a pussy."

He moved again and stopped beside her, that stern look he only never had trouble turning on her landing there now. "And by the way, Kurama happens to like crab so I'll be just as crabby as I damn well please. Might even be what helps with the river. Maybe you should give it a try sometime." Never mind that crabs didn't exactly tend to dwell in rivers.

With a smirk he lifted a hand near the girl's face with a small indication it might be headed toward her ear. The other lifted with it, but purely for the effect of pinchy fingers he now purposefully used to imitate one. "Now move your ass or I'll show you how crabby I can really be," he added in that mocking, yet intimidating tone of his.

And a grumble followed it. A practice in whining complaint over his student that usually lit a fire under her ass; in one way or another anyway. "Can't believe I got stuck with some pussy foot little girl who's afraid of a little water."

--

A smirk slithered across the petite demon' s face. Wasn't that the truth. After all, it wasn't as if Hiei didn't do his part in charitable services by 'employing' his own underlings. Though moreso previously than lately. That 'gamble' usually paid pff after all. He'd been using them for ages. And he did still have even if he didnt use them as often as in the past.

Of course it never hurt to have said underlings know precisely how ruthless, and tenacious, he could be. They were much less likely to betray you knowing what would certainly happen to them given enough time after doing such a thing. This had been true even before rumors of what he'd done and how far he had gone in order to track down some 'lost love' or former lover of his; whichever it was now. And despite how unpalatable it was to have his sister referred to as such, he had never been bothered enough to correct that particular portion of the rumor. His reasons were his own. And they were known only to the man seated with him and the only other person on either side of reality who had gotten nearly as close to him; which, incidentally, happened to be one of those reasons.

"That's fine," he offered as courtly as ever, still in that business mode of his. "I'll want a couple of days though... either way that'll work out." He would use his own connections to attempt to verify the information Kurama had been fed. It was the redhead who had impressed upon him over the years to take such precautions; that one could never be 'too prepared'. He had become more cautious before meeting the redhead through nessicary circumstance. But not nearly so much as he'd learned to over the years under his influence. Which was why he knew Kurama already understood his light 'request' for more time.

Either he didn't notice the hesitation or chose not to react to it. Even if it weren't to spare the fox, given his slow-grown perception for such things it was most likely the ladder. After a few more moments of sharp crimson moving back to and going over the papers, the focus of deep black pupils dilated through his following thought process. While his expression didn't change much, the man who sat with him and knew him so very well would no doubt be able to catch the slightly lost look of distraction. Dwelling on that caution had brought another thought to mind. And after another moment of that, crimson eyes shifted their focus back on his foxy friend and a smirk stretched across his lips.

Hiei had never been 'all business'. Although it could be argued that there was a time when he was very close to that. Over the years he had been able to loosen up quite a bit in contrast. To be fair, Yusuke still found every reason he could to call the little spitfire a tight ass. He just didn't have as many reason as he used to; or at least it was getting harder to find them as time went on. Ever so slowly under the impression of the small group of people he had ended up surrounding himself with he was losing that social retardedness he suffered from bit by bit.

"Heh." The amused noise came more often too; and for less cruel reasons just as much as the cruel even. "Remember when we met?" It was probably still a little unclear at the moment which part of their meeting he was focusing on at the moment though. And given his sense of humor he could still even be chuckling cruelly at himself for the near fatal wound he'd received shortly after their meeting.

Hiei wasn't usually one to sit around and reminisce. Although the subject at hand and connected nostalgia had brought up a couple of conversations about the past between them already. Mostly Kurama had been the culprit behind those. But Hiei made much better connections these days too; in more ways than one. And it had just hit him how very different the both of them were back then; and even after they'd formed an alliance and had ended up raiding the king's vault together. And while this wasnt the first time it had hit him, it was the first time he felt the need to bring up such a thing on his own that he could remember.

Hiei had a very good memory.

Her teacher was lost in thought, and for a few fleeting seconds Karasori debated on running again. If she got enough of a head start than maybe she could escape this madness. She thought better of it. It didn't matter if she had a ten second head start or a ten minuted head start, Yusuke would catch her without any trouble at all. So she continued to grumble and poke at the rock with her foot. It was freezing, but more than that she was trying to build up the nerve to leave dry land and risk a fate worse than death. The mere thought of the humiliation she'd face if Yusuke saw her fall in and scramble for her life. The rabbit would rather drown...

"Screw you!" The girl snapped with a huff that puffed out her cheeks. "Just 'cause I ain't stupid enough ta wanna leap inta freezing waters doesn't make me a pussy." Long feet shuffled back and she leaned away from the pinching fingers while swatting at them defensively. "Alright already, fine. Dick."

Beady black eyes turned back onto the wet stone, and she placed the pads of her right foot on the cold, slippery surface. It was now or never... "Not like what he likes matters to ya much anyway," she grumbled under her breath. It wasn't intended for her mentor to hear, it was just natural to say shitting things to him. It was just part of the strange relationship they had. Still, she had enough sense to know that something was up with the man, and whatever it was centered around her uncle silver, so she didn't blurt it out in the snarky manner she usually would.

Karasori took in a deep breath then hopped her other foot up onto the rock, wavered a moment, then began a careful walk towards the waterfall. She didn't even have to reach it before she was nearly soaked in the water's spray. It was icy and clung to the top of her fur while coating her skin in a thin sheen of it. Instantly her fur fluffed out in an instinctual attempt to keep out the cold.

After crossing nearly to her destination, the rabbit was forced to stop in her tracks. She'd have to make a jump to the final platform. It wasn't far, but for the prey animal who couldn't swim it may as well have been miles away. "Why're we doing this again?!" She howled back to be heard over the roar of the falls.

-----

"Of course." Hiei had gotten much more cautious over the years. He was still rash by Kurama's standards, but the fire demon was hardly the loose cannon he once was. The fox credited Makuro's influences to that still forming character trait.

Hiei continued to look over the carefully detailed papers and Kurama lifted the warm mug to take another long drink of the creamy chocolatey goodness that settled pleasantly in his stomach. He was grateful for that, his nausea hadn't subsided in the least over the past few days. He'd managed to convince Yusuke that it was the remaining effects of the toxin he'd ingested. He hadn't given Yukina so much as the time of day when she asked about it after she'd over heard his retching. She had no right to ask of his well being, not when she was part of the cause of his misery. The fox had actually found satisfaction in her expression when she was informed of the toxin he'd created.

The redhead pushed his thoughts aside and lowered the mug in order to pick up the chopsticks and resume his meal, occasionally dipping the tofu in his remaining cocoa for extra flavor. He chuckled around the sticks as Hiei reminisced. "How could I not? Attacked by a stranger in a dark ally way, only to take said strange home to heal?" A playful gleam shimmered across calm green eyes as he continued. "How many can say they held your life in their hands?" Kurama took another bite and thoughtfully hummed, glancing upwards. "I wonder, do you still talk in your sleep?"

She was preparing to jump. And she probably didn't expect that he be right on her heel as she went. Usually Yusuke stood back until he was fully satisfied with her follow of his direction. It would have been the same this time around except for one thing.

Just as she'd hollered her question while making her attempt to steel herself for that jump her arm was grasped sharply at the bicep and tugged back strong enough to cause her to look back at him instantly. That is, if it had the proper effect that was meant, it did.

While it was sharp and jarring, it was also strong and supportive. He wouldn't have her jumping away from him in that first moment to slip down into the water and miss the look on his face. "Karasori..." It was positively dark. And despite the fact that his words were hissed under the roar of the falls, their closeness would make them clear as day. "Don't ever say that again."

The reaction to what she had to say about Kurama wasn't fully unfamiliar. He could react poorly to the things she said, and honestly did so pretty damn often. But he'd never been quite so aggressive about it before. That is to say, so aggressive that he was nearly blank with it; the look in his dark eyes and the hiss being the only real hint toward it.

He seemed to catch himself pretty quickly though. Because he backed off and his face drained from the frightening sight to all but neutral as he let go and stood up straight all over again. He'd been taking out his frustration on the girl lately, yeah. But the anger her little comment just then made him feel was even a little scary for him. "You'll find out when we're done meditating," he added in a tone that spoke of a cooled head.

"Now get over there or we'll start this off with your down there crawling your way back up instead of getting to hop across like I'm lettin you now." And he backed off some, offering her some room if she needed it to make the small leap.

--

There was no stopping himself. Each time Kurama took a bite from the dipped treat Hiei practically flinched with disgust. It was probably even more blatant to the redhead. A small twitch of his features would be enough foe him to notice. But this was a turn or tightening of his lips, a rise of his shoulders, slight tilt of his head in the opposite direction, or even a sharp twitch of an eye that came far too close to squinting for his own liking.

That flavor was still stuck on his own tongue; or at least the feeling of it was. The texture had bothered him the most. And each time he watched the redhead dip and bit it tightened his chest a little. It had been a truly disgusting texture. And he'd been lucky before not to gag or spit it right out. And unfortunately at the moment the only thing he had to stifle the lingering feeling was one of the two treats that had created it.

He stuck to the hot chocolate, taking small sips to quell his disgust each time it came to bite at him. Of course, the worst part about it was how strongly it was effecting him. He didn't like that at all. And his annoyance with that fact was nearly as blatant as the other reaction.

Nothing Kurama had to say about the topic he'd brought up bothered him though... at least not the beginning of it. And considering he had done so under the same reasoning as he'd asked for this particular treat; well, he expected to be teased if he were being perfectly honest.

The only real problem with it came as his annoyance over the chocolate drenched tofu and his reaction toward it. He expected to be teased at first. And really he didn't plan on having a problem with it considering he was insanely used to it by now from the redhead.

He wasn't expecting that last part though. Talking in his sleep had been an unintended consequence of staying with the redhead as he healed. It had been what had tipped him off to his actual goal in the first place. And it had been a sensitive subject at the time.

Coupled together with his annoyance, the flare of embarrassment over a flaw he hadn't thought to do us on in his remembrance forced a bit of shade to drape over his face. With a preen, crimson eyes shot off toward the door to the patio purely to have a spot to stare down in a grumpy glare as he reacted. "How should I know?!" The fact that the growled response probably wasn't a deterrent in the slightest only made the feeling worse before he even got a response toward it.

This was what he got for purposefully giving Kurama the chance to land some sort of blow. He'd been expecting something to be posited toward how much he had changed. A tease about how 'friendly' he had become or some nonsense like that; something he was more used to. But as usual the fox had surprised him with something else instead.

He should have known better.

Last edited:
"Hey! What'er you...!" Karasori had just been about to complain about the fact that she was doing as she was told, but her lips sealed shut the instant she saw the look on Yusuke's face. Now, her mentor tormented the hell out of her even on his best days, and he sure as hell scared the living shit out of her on more than a few occasions, but... That low hiss accompanied by a blank face and dark, cold eyes... For the first time she found herself truly worried for her life. She swallowed thickly, just waiting for him to cut out her heart or something. A blaring heat raged through her form and demanded she either fight or fly, but all she could do was stand there.

It was over in seconds, but it had felt like an eternity. "S-sorry. Didn't mean it," she whimpered out quickly. When he pulled away he'd find her slightly crouched and huddled away from him with beady black eyes wide in pure terror. She only started to relax when he spoke again in a much more casual tone. It took several seconds for her to snap out of the stupor he'd put her in, but she quickly turned back to the jump at hand. She didn't have any words for him.

Karasori took a few seconds, just long enough for a quick count down. '1...2...3!' and the rabbit hopped the short length only to scramble on top of the slippery surface. Throwing out her arms to either side she swung them in large circles until she found her balance. Only then did she notice the cascade of icy water soaking her to her bones. "Why are we doing this?!" She screeched, hugging herself tightly in a failed attempt to keep warm.

----

Whether Hiei was still intending to or not, his presence was easing the fox's spirits. He found great joy in casually conversing with his friend, and being able to torment him was an extra treat he couldn't help but indulge in. Especially when it was so easily presented to him. Green eyes focused in on each unpleasant twitch made by the fire demon whenever he dipped the tofu into the cooling chocolate. So he did it again, and again, and again, cataloging each reaction with a special sort of enjoyment that he could only gain from Hiei. Not that he would ever speak so out loud, but he was quite sure the other demon already knew regardless.

"Ah, a shame," Kurama said with a quiet sigh before taking yet another bite of Hiei's personified suffering. "I suppose I will simply have to ask Makuro then. I'm sure she has some interesting tales."

Again he was beside her, having jumped further and landed on her opposite side under the falling water. Yusuke promptly planted his ass on the smooth rock just as he had previously, legs and arms crossed as a small stream cascaded down from above. The large rock over their heads actually did a decent job of barring the loud rush of the falls around them. The area was almost like a mini cave behind the falls really; aside from the trickling streams that broke their way in. "I told you you'll find out later," he reminded. After all, he had just said it.

It was still a bit loud, but not nearly as loud as it had been before they'd hopped their way into the nook. Their voices would be heard by each other through sensitive ears easily now that they were both inside and right next to each other. "Sit down," he added as he pat the stone next to him. The falling water would be torturous for a bit. But he knew from experience that the headache that had already hit him as he sit under it would go away soon enough from the numbing power the chilly water had.

He didn't say anything as she joined him; and he knew she would considering she'd already gone this far. For a while he was fine sitting in uncomfortable silence, but Yusuke wasn't the type of person who could keep calm and quiet for long. A heavy sigh huffed from his chest and he uncurled from his pose to sit back on his hands and dangle his feet from the large rock they were sharing. The move plunged them in ankle deep. And a concerned frown touched his lips as he glided his feet through the water slowly and watched the way it flowed over them and back into the frantic slosh from the falling streams. "Somethings wrong..."

The abruptly open comment came as an offer. He knew she could tell. And he was agreeing with her.

--

The grumpy look Hiei had to offer for the offense he'd brought on himself didn't falter as Kurama broke for a moment to dip his treat once again; though the flinch persisted. It was just as he was beginning to notice his own reaction to the disgusting show that he was thrown off all over again. Sometimes Hiei's silence could speak volumes. They both knew this. Of course, the look on his face and tensity in his posture had plenty to do with that. But just as much as his silence could, overt reactions weren't exactly unheard of or unseen. And it seemed that when Makuro was mentioned or involved in some way, those reactions could become painfully blatant.

He was taking a swig of his cocoa, attempting not to flinch away as Kurama did it again since he'd noticed the reaction and realized the fox was most likely enjoying his discomfort. He did tend to do that. But he was caught off guard again, his focus elsewhere. So when Kurama spoke Hiei gagged on the drink he'd been sucking up as a breath tried to make it's way in through an automatic, sharp reaction toward the comment. There was no stopping the choke from happening as the liquid went down the wrong tube. Luckily he still had the cup pulled up to his face, so most of what sputtered out went back in there. Some sprayed down on the poster. And most likely, because the cup was in the way, none made it across the table to the redhead.

This wasn't the first time Kurama had made him choke on something. But it was one of the worst. Not because it hit him harder in the sense of what he'd said, but because of a natural reaction the body had when needing to shut off the path the liquid wasn't supposed to go down. Now, it didn't come out his nose.

It didn't, but it sure as Hell felt like it did.

The burn it created in the back of his sinuses was enough to cause his eyes to water a little. And Hiei was quick in pulling away the cup to replace it with the sleeve of his opposite arm as he let off an offended, angry little noise of complaint. Pressing into the sleeve heavily, a sharp glare only slightly muddled by the glisten of watery eyes landed sharply on the redhead.

He said nothing. There was nothing he could say; no recovery from the small scene he'd just made. The glare said everything though...

As did the color saturating what could be seen of his face and the sharp, tense preen of his shoulders.

Karasori sputtered through the cascade of frozen water. Her teeth chattered and her body broke out in shakes that looked more like epileptic spasms. Beady black eyes tried to glare at her mentor as he just plopped down on the rock like nothing was wrong. Like he was sitting on a bench at a park on a warm fucking day! She had half a mind to argue about the order just out of spite, but the memory of that horrifying gaze she'd just been sent killed off any rebellious thoughts. So, with a string of muttered insults, the rabbit took a seat beside Yusuke with her legs outstretched. Her long feet made sitting cross legged uncomfortable for her.

She wrapped her long arms around herself, desperately trying to keep some amount of body heat inside her body. Her teeth ached and her head throbbed, like she'd eaten a hundred ice cream cones in one bite.

The Temple Master's words were answered with an instant, "No f-f-f-ucking d-d-d-d-duh!" Karasori turned her head to send a pouty, hateful look at her tormentor. "We-eeer-er tu-turing into ice cubes!"

With a stuttered 'humph!' she looked back out at the waterfall, and was silent for a few seconds. She wasn't dumb. A little dense, but not dumb. She was much like Yusuke in that sense. She silently pondered over the past few days. All the things that had seemed out of place, and not just the unnecessarily cruel treatment he'd given her. He didn't eat as much, he moped when he thought no one was looking, and the strangest thing? He was so distant from Uncle Silver.

Either time had done it's job, or the thought patterns had distracted her enough, but her violent shivers were slowing down. Her whole body was starting to go numb. "Only girls talk about f-f-feelings," she shot at her mentor. Then followed it with a cautious glance. "But Mom says talking stuff out c-can help sort stuff out s-so..." Karasori shrugged casually and looked away. "If ya wanna be a girl about it, then I guess-s-s-s I could listen or somthin'."

----

The fox's lips wobbled and his cheeks hurt as he fought of the building laughter that was bubbling to escape. It was always enjoyable to watch Hiei fumble, and it seemed even more hilarious than usual today. An almost silent snort left his nose and he lifted a hand to cover the lower half of his face with it in a failed attempt to hide the wide grin he simply couldn't hold back. His eyes shut tight and by the time Hiei leveled that glare on him Kurama was near doubled over in barely restrained laughter. He choked, cleared his throat, swallowed, then stiffled one more snort before he sucked in a long, calming breath through his nose to steel himself. Strange... He only ever showed that much of his joy around Yusuke, and only when they were alone. He chose not to think on it.

"Forgive me," he started before clearing his throat again. He was so very tempted to continue his teasing, but he resisted. The fox was very aware that the only reason Hiei was staying was for his sake, and the fire demon was doing what he could to raise his spirits. He was grateful, and outright thanking his friend wouldn't be taken well. So he would show his thanks by allowing the shorter man to save a little face. "If it truly bothers you, I will cease using the hot chocolate to season my tofu," he offered kindly, effectively waving off his mention of Makuro in order to change the subject.

Besides, he was finished anyway. The sudden onslaught of hunger had disappeared almost as quickly. That damned parasite was causing a storm of symptoms.

Heat poured over Hiei's face as Kurama outright laughed at him. Somehow it was even more offensive than usual while being less so at the same time. The confusion that mix caused in him allowed for him to remain calm, that glowing red heat of embarrassment being the only real show of upset. He was also able to keep calm due to the pure and open nature of the jovial noise Kurama was letting out.

He'd never been able to make Kurama laugh like that before. The only person he'd ever witnessed pull such a noise from the redhead was his moronic husband. It was something he'd seen on more than one occasion but still incredibly rarely, as the fox tended to keep himself well maintained in a certain disposition when the little fireball was around. There was an unspoken, mutual understanding between the newly reassembled partners that had never really allowed for either to fully let down their guards around each other.

In fact, that fleeting but open laughter that almost seemed to ring as fluidly as a bell allowed the petite demon to calm from his offense rather quickly. Though the fact that a certain subject that had caused his own reaction was brushed past quickly had a lot to do with that as well.

Hiei opened his mouth to respond; to tell the foxy human that he couldn't care less if he wanted to continue dipping his treat and turning it into that disgustingly textured mush if he really liked it so much. Of course, Hiei was most likely about to say as much in his own way, but just as he opened his mouth and took in a small breath he was closing it again.

Crimson eyes slid from his face just over his shoulder, landing on the doorway to the room that sat between them and the room that held the game board that the two children had been sent to previously. "That was fast," he mentioned in that disinterested tone of his.

The fire demon had been watching Kurama and his charges with veiled interest the last few days; when he wasn't off doing whatever else it was he did on his own. So when he sensed the two children making their way toward the dining room he was mildly surprised at the speed in which the girl had been able to infiltrate Keichi's mind. After all, he'd payed enough attention to know the human boy wouldn't disobey his master so directly. And Cooryn had been having a great deal of difficulty breaking down the boy's mental barriers when he was prepared for her onslaught.

He did a decent job of hiding his mild curiosity over the happening. That is, to anyone other than the sly fox sitting across from him.

"It wasn't too hard," Cooryn mentioned lightly through the door just before Keichi slid it open. "I've gotten better at noticing. So even though it was just a second, I saw it right away."

Keichi tisked shortly, the grumpy look on his face accented with pure annoyance as she nudge him forward with the force of a small, nonverbal coo. "It isn't as if I was meant to be on that." The upset in his features showed how little he cared about the boast he was projecting. "We were sent to hone our focus with the game." The ever snooty tone that usually sat in his boasts was gone as well. Though it may not have been blatantly obvious to those who didn't know him quite so intimately that he was utterly disappointed in his own oversight.

Cooryn gave a soft giggle, large ears wiggling cheerily and thin tail giving a few full length swishes as she floated behind the teen. "It's not a total loss either way," she told him as her nose poked into the air just a smidge. Because getting even a small win against the boy was nothing to shake a stick at. "I couldn't get a grasp on your consciousness..."

Besides. She knew full well that her entire goal was to work at taking control while allowing her victim to be aware of it. "Noooow. What should I make you dooo~?"

Amythest eyes joined crimson as the two shortest beings in the room watched Kaichi's arm wave up and down, Keichi looking none too happy with the unwilling movement. "Do as you like for the moment. I won't be allowing you to keep hold of me for long."

The arm was allowed to fall limp, Keichi left standing in a far more relaxed pose than he usually held as pretty crimson eyes lit with a quick flare into a bloody glow. "I was wondering about that." Her voice began picking up a familiar, sultry cadence as she scooted closer to the boy. "It's odd that you haven't tried to fight me off yet. Why is that?"

Large purple eyes lidded slightly as they were caught in her gaze. It only lasted a moment before the flaxen haired boy was able to blink himself out of a cloudy haze she'd almost caught him in again. The indignant look he then offered was amazingly as haughty as ever despite the lack of control he had over greater function of his body. "Of course I assumed you would like to show off as per usual," he huffed out in a barely muted tone. "And I am not foolish enough to make a move that might be seen as an attempt to hide my mistake."

----

An airy chuckle was let loose as the girl first took his comment and put it in context. It was quiet and a little muted, but that could be for the fact of where his mind sat at the moment, or the heavy shivers he couldn't hold back that racked his bones for a long second. He wasn't unaffected by the horribly cold water. He was just much better at keeping it in.

Big chocolate eyes blinked several times as he was almost affectionately called a girl. A short snort and a light shove to the side of teen's head was the response. "Shaddup," he demanded quietly through half a playful laugh before his attention turned back up on the falls further out in front of them.

The small smile faded as hazelnut eyes lost their focus and followed the streaming water up until he lost it behind the giant outcropping that was saving the both of them from the strongest current. "Look. It ain't hard for anyone to figure the two of us aren't exactly the brightest crayons in the box..."

He peeked over at her for just a moment. Long enough to send a gibing smirk her way "Specially you," he teased before turning his attention away again.

It was too hard to look at the girl and speak as openly as he wanted to. But he knew that when it came to such things, he wasn't the only one that had trouble keeping direct eye contact. "Maybe if we put our heads together we can come up with a half decent answer on stuff that's buggin' us lately."

He expected her to share something with him when he was finished with his own confession. This was to be expected. Because as hard as it was for him to open up to the teen about just about anything, it was at least ten times harder for her to open up to just about anyone. He'd learned as much pretty quickly with her. So practically from the beginning he had started these sort of talks with an offering; one that was completely open and honest. One that was truly something that was weighing on him heavily.

They didn't do this often. But with what had been going on with him lately, he'd been extremely cruel to his charge. The exercise he'd pulled her into, as well as the little heart to heart wherein he would allow her to open up to him were basically a way for him to make things up to her.

"So my problem... Well, really I don't know what the actual problem is. But its like every time I see Kurama......" There was a heavy pause here. He hadn't thought to put this to words before. If Karasori looked at him to see why he'd stopped, she'd be able to tell he was looking for the right ones just by the look on his face.

There was no 'ah-hah' moment when he found them. The lightbulb turned on, but the usual satisfaction that came with fitting the pieces together didn't come with it. That was mostly because he wasn't at all satisfied with the words. Or rather, they only troubled him more. "It hurts."

That was all he could think to describe it. At least at the moment. And choclate eyes drifted back down to feet that continued their slow swishing through rippling water once he said it. It was kind of worse than that even, but that would do for the moment.

The fox softly hummed, the smile on his lips still struggling to grow, but he'd managed to wrangle it down into only a slight curve of his lips. His eyes rolled over to the side and he turned his head just enough to watch as Keichi and Cooryn entered the kitchen. It only took him a few moments longer than it took Hiei to realize what was happening, but it was a few moments too long. His senses were both dulling and heightening, leaving him slow on the uptake as of late; unless it had something to do with smell. Kurama forced his thoughts to the back of his mind to be pondered over later. There were more pressing matters to attend to.

Kurama turned himself in his seat to more comfortably watch as his two students came further into the kitchen. There was an inkling of irritation that really shouldn't exist. He'd truly meant for them to focus on the game, and he didn't like the thought of Cooryn hypnotizing anyone without his supervision just yet; but he rationalized himself into feeling something more akin to pride. The young succubus saw an opportunity and seized it, not to mention she had brought Keichi to him right away. The only thing he allowed the outside world see, was his amusement at Keichi's predicament. "It seems my lessons regarding constant awareness have gone over your head, Keichi. We will have to revisit that in the near future." Kurama's tone was humored, but serious.

His previous 'lessons' on staying on guard had lasted days into weeks of the poor boy having to look over his shoulder at every turn, sleeping with one eye open, being suspicious of everyone and everything for damn good reason. Getting caught 'slacking' meant horrible pain or embarrassment, usually a mixture of both.

"Though I will take your honesty into consideration," he added. After all, the boy could have shoved her out and the fox never would have known. Perhaps he would let it slide this time. He'd need to consider it.

Kurama studied the human boy and the demonic woman, watching as Keichi's eyes began to haze over. There was a moment of guilt that passed by quickly enough. It wasn't right to subject such a young man to the whims of a starving succubus, but he would monitor this situation closely. He would keep his charge safe, while pushing his mind to its limits.

And Yusuke wasn't home.

"Keichi, break her control. Cooryn," Kurama paused to gaze at the sultry imp. "Don't let him."

-----

"Hey!" Karasori huffed through wobbling lips. "'Least I got all my brain c-cells. An old fart like you probably ain't got many left in there!" She tried to laugh. To grin like the idiot they both knew she was. To try and sooth her teacher's mood without even realizing it. Beady black eyes looked off to the side, staring at a suddenly very interesting formation of stones next to her, but her drooping ears picked up a little to catch Yusuke's words. "Yeah, maybe," she muttered back.

'Bugging us' he'd said. She had to have known this was another one of his traps! He conned her into these touchy feely times by offering a problem of his own, and guilting her into sharing one of her own. He didn't even have to try, either. He shared, then she shared, as if her subconscious was writhing and reaching for that one little reason to express what she constantly repressed. Usually the bunny would pout and sulk through the whole exchange...

But this time was different, she could tell. This time, Yusuke was the one who desperately needed an outlet, and this little 'game' they played was his only choice. She almost felt flattered. It had her doing something she very rarely did. She listened. Not just the usual 'yeah yeah I hear ya' she put on, or even the 'Okay serious time I guess' that was the norm for these exchanges. Karasori actually listened, and gave him time to think on his words, and frowned deeply when he found them.

"D-didya fight?" She asked on impulse, but shook that notion away pretty quickly. If it was a fight, it wasn't anything like the squabbles she'd seen before. So she thought, and she thought, and she thought some more. Doll eyes never left the 'pretty rocks' until something of significance came to her. "Sometimes it hurts to lookit people when you feel guilty 'bout somethin'," she tried again. "Or when ya hurt 'em first?"

Her shivers had gone, and though her skin was awfully pale, and her lips were a dark blue, her focus was sharp on her mentor.

Wide chocolate eyes landed on the bunny curiously. He was pretty sure they hadn't. He didn't remember fighting recently. But if they had they must have made up already because he didn't feel that special kind of guilty he felt when they fought and hadn't. He was about to tell her as much in fewer words but she shook her head and he figured she'd already gathered as much.

He watched her as she thought, enjoying a certain likeness that bubbly face brought up. Poor kid really was spending way too much time with him. Oh well. She'd just have to suffer that Hell if they were ever gonna make any progress on her little issue.

For once he was calm and patient when it came to something that was bothering him so much. Calm and patient was something he did pretty well around the girl anyway though. So it wasn't too tough. It was the other part that made it more difficult. Still, he simply looked back down at his feet and kicked gently some more. There was a bit of a smile on his face that he couldn't quite help either.

Karasori didn't usually play this game so well. And, along with the bit of pride over her involvement, he couldn't help but be a little flattered that she was taking it so seriously at the moment. Hopefully she'd do the same when it was her turn to share.

She came up with another answer. And big brown eyes looked at her in the same way. "Hey maybe." The offer was even more cheerful than he meant it to be. Mostly because that was a really strong possibility. After all, he did tend to do really stupid stuff. And it wouldn't be the first time that 'stupid stuff' hurt his loving, tolerant husband.

----

Keichi's face turned from the picture of annoyance to mute. His attention turned on his master as he spoke. And that lack of candor was replaced with the lack of color as he paled a bit just about immediately as he was confronted with that creepily entertained look-- but mostly, the words that came with it.

Despite how calm it was already, it managed to calm further as he was given an instruction. Hiei noticed. He also noticed the annoyingly squeaky giggle of the imp that came with a wiggle of large ears and a soft flutter of her wings as she landed fully behind him. Even though he was schooled, he thought he caught a bit of excitement in the boy somehow as well. Though he couldn't have put to words what it was about him that gave off that sense.

It seemed this was a challenge they were both glad to take on. Surely for their own reasons. So Hiei watched on, veiled curiosity nearly making its way to the surface. He'd come to realize over the past few days that they were well matched in this area. So the challenge was moreso than what came of the instruction that was given.

With an unneeded steadying breath Keichi closed his eyes. He sounded as if he were preparing but each person in the room most likely knew he already was. The habit was an interesting one. And Hiei doubted it was meant as a ruse even though it could lull those in the temple who were... weaker mentally into preparing themselves. If the boy were any smarter, in Hiei's eyes at least, he would use the moment to strike first. But he had some sort of understanding that there was a reason beyond him that the blond human didn't do as much. He doubted he'd ever know without asking.

Of course, he couldn't be bothered to ask.

It was a good thing he was prepared regardless, as the bright glow in pretty crimson eyes lit up nearly the moment her feet touched the ground. They were both quiet for a long moment. If one didn't know any better it would seem as if nothing were happening. Of course, they all knew better.

After a long silence Cooryn closed her eyes as well. A haunting, warm tune left her lips in a gentle hum that probably could have pulled any unsuspecting character in even as she focused on Keichi. Even Hiei felt a niggle of the tug it had to offer.

It was something he was familiar with. Because despite the fact that these sorts of attempts had been made on him before in various ways, it was almost impossible for him to fall into this sort of mental trap.

This was when he realized something was wrong.

The tug he felt was familiar, but off. And his own crimson gaze sharpened intently on the girl. And she opened her own as a sly grin slid across her lips, he knew for sure.

It was in cases like this his Jagan was the handiest of tools. As no energy was exuded, and no change took to the air when he opened it up properly. The only tangible shift was the bit of glow behind his headband that was almost completely drown out by the brightness of the room and day, as instead of exuding any sort of energy it tended to feed on his own. This came in handy because it allowed him to use it without notice. Meaning he wouldn't interrupt who or what he was seeking to look at.

What had spurred him on was more visible than anything he did of course. When the opposite pair of large crimson eyes opened they were no longer crimson. The last of the bright color was fading into the seams of her irises, leaving a glowing ice blue in their place. The more bothersome reaction came from the human she stood behind.

It was obvious they were having an internal dialogue purely for the muted body language they were giving off. But the heavier reaction came from Keichi.

Purple eyes popped open and a fierce glare was turned on his own shoulder. It was obvious he couldn't move enough to face and land it on her properly. But that wasn't the part that interested him. Neither was when he suddenly went slack as he stood before her, the sharp edge in his posture relaxing even into his eyes as it nearly had before. Even the look in drooping eyes wasn't the thing that spurred him into action.

When the color in them started fading however, Hiei shifted. A swift click pierced the silence of the room that wasn't so much familiar to the children, but would be for the redhead.

He was intimately familiar with that very distinct look. It was a look he'd seen most likely thousands of times. It was the look of life fading from someone's eyes; of the soul beginning to leave the body. And when he looked closer and saw the tips of well manicured claws bleeding effortlessly past the boy's spine he was already on his feet.

That hand was stopped instantly.

Before it was even given the chance to sink past the first knuckle Hiei had the point of his sword pressed firmly enough against the girl's throat that she'd likely bleed if she so much as swallowed. "Back down." The short, low growl of a demand was all he needed to offer as ice blue eyes stared at him in utter shock and horror.

His own flicked down for barely a moment to be sure her hand wasn't continuing its journey before returning to bore their dangerous glare into her sights. Sights that followed his own look down. And though it might not have seemed possible the moment before, the horror in her gaze only intensified as she all but threw herself backward the moment she realized what she was seeing.

Her collision with the wall was likely a little painful. But she pulled herself away from it without seeming to notice, the assailing hand grasped tightly in her other as she looked down at it like it were the weapon that had just been pointed at her throat.

The color had found its way back into her eyes as they shifted up to find her actual assailant. But his attention was on Keichi, having caught his falling form as she removed herself and her influence as much on instinct as she'd nearly done... She didn't want to finish that thought, squeezing her eyes shut tight in order to avoid it before turning that lost gaze on Kurama.

It was entirely too quiet. Someone needed to say something. Her panic was silent but visible as she looked for an answer to a question she couldn't even voice at the moment. In that state she had thought to look to her new mentor. Considering this had been just about 100% supervised by him aside from what had just happened in the other room, she quickly figured he might have the answer to.... whatever her freaking question was!

The rabbit shrugged her shoulders a little. She couldn't help but agree with that 'maybe.' As dull as she may seem, Karasori was sharp when it came to her surroundings, and she'd seen Yusuke mess up and piss off her Uncle Silver all sorts of times before; but she'd also never seen the aftermath last this long. She'd never seen her mentor walk away from the fox. She'd never seen that look of pain and sadness in Kurama's eyes ever! Including their interactions before his transfer to human world. So she thought again, her frozen lips turning down into a frown and her eyes narrowing in concentration.

So what else had she never seen before?

There was a light bulb moment that mimicked Yusuke's, however she held no delight or pride in her thought. It wasn't exactly a happy one. "Or maybe he hurt you," she added cautiously. Saying anything bad towards the fox in the Temple Master's presence rarely ended well. But it made sense, because she'd never seen a time where Uncle Silver truly hurt the man beside her. A few squabbles, some pouting, really really short hours of a cold shoulder, even a few days of tension after the fox had all but kicked out the most resent child Yusuke brought home, but never this.

---

The fox watched on with a casual posture. Or, as casual as Kurama ever got around anyone other than Yusuke, and to a lesser extent,Hiei. His back was straight and his eyes calm despite their constant calculations. He saw as well as heard Keichi's careful breath. He'd never asked about it outright, but he assumed that it was the boy's way of preparing his mind as well as his body. Kurama had noticed its start not long after Keichi killed his first demon. He made yet another mental note to help break the boy of such a visual tell. It hadn't seemed important enough to force, however, as it seemed to have the effect of lowering the guard of his opponent.

It worked on Karasori enough.

In fact it even worked on Yusuke once, allowing Keichi to make the man fumble a bit. He didn't win the spar, but he'd gained another sort of victory in the process.

Her hum was enticing to his ears, but he felt no pull. Youko had steeled himself to such mental advances millennia ago, and the skill followed him into this body. Still, he could feel her appeal, as well as something else as well. It had him sitting a little straighter while the fine hairs on the back of his neck rose. A growl formed in the back of his throat and his eyes narrowed. Hiei caught on a fraction of a second before he did, and Cooryn was lucky for it. The whistle of a blade, the threat of a slit throat, and a firm command by the little fire demon was significantly calmer than the anger building in Kurama would have allowed, should the fox be the one to stop her.

As it was, Kurama's lips pulled back in a feral snarl. His emotions were getting more and more difficult to control. It was a frightening thing, but he could not think on it at the moment. The redhead had reluctantly taken on the obligation of caring for and protecting Yusuke's strays, but he had chosen to take Keichi beneath his wing, and with that decision he'd also taken the boy's life in his hands. To protect or destroy as he saw fit; and as much as it pained him to admit, even just to himself, he'd grown a connection to the young outcast. And watching Cooryn physically toy with his soul was enough to have a glimmer of gold flash across green eyes, and an urge to grasp her by the throat and squeeze flare through his limbs. He just managed to keep himself still, and he was glad for that.

Without a word he watched her cower and gaze at her hand in pure terror. Kurama forced his boiling rage down into a maintainable simmer and gracefully stood from the table. Still without speaking, the fox first moved towards Hiei and the limp child he was holding. Though the movement was harsh, there was a gentleness in the hold he took on Keichi's chin to lift his head. Kurama took a moment to assess the damage, oh so carefully extending his spirit energy into Keichi's prone form, and released a relieved sigh through his nose. The soul was in tact, and Keichi would be fine. It was likely the only reason he was still unconscious was because he was far too young to feel his soul violated and played with. The poor boy would feel that discomfort for a while, he was sure of it; but he kept his temper in check.

When he finally looked at the young succubus his eyes were stern, yet somehow understanding. In just the moment it took to change his glance, the fox had reasoned himself back down to his usual. The poor woman looked terrified. Either she had blanked out and was now horrified of what she had done to her friend's soul, or she had absolutely no idea what had just happened. So he'd find out with one simple statement.

"You should be grateful for my gracious whim; I will give you one chance to explain yourself." His tone was calm and smooth, yet just low enough to exude the truth of his words. Yusuke joked about that voice causing 'brick shitting fear' in all the kids... For good reason.

Karen went missing for days, and never, ever insulted his mother ever again. He even bowed to greet her now, adding a respectful honorific to her name that made her giggle.

The carbon ice in his tone now made the look then seem loving in comparison.

The former king's head tilted slightly. It was likely the dark look he'd had to offer her just a few minutes before was still fresh in the girl's mind, which would explain why she made her addition so cautiously. And if she were anyone else he would have apologized for it by now. The thing was he had a certain understanding of their student teacher relationship, probably spurred on by the fucked up on he'd had himself growing up, where a good amount of fear of him did the both of them some good.

At the very least it kept her in line.

That wasn't the only reason he did the horrible things he did sometimes, but it had to do with some of it. He still didn't fully understand the reasoning behind sleeping with snakes when it had come to his own training. But the way it made her react was both funny and served its own purpose of keeping her alert even in her sleep. He had no idea if the effect had been the same on him. Hell, aside from when it came to coming up with creative lessons and punishments he'd blocked out a great deal of the training he'd gotten from Genkai. Not so much what he'd learned, but definitely the traumas.

So yeah, he could be a pretty big dick about things.

But being a dick didn't put that particular hinge on their relationship that the proper amount of fear, and to a greater extent respect, that they needed to maintain their roles as well as they did. Hell, he could probably break the girl like a twig if he really wanted to at any point. But that wasn't the kind of fear he wanted her to experience. Simple threats weren't enough to keep her in line. The fear of the unknown however was a big help.... It also helped that she'd overheard he and Kurama swapping punishment ideas on more than one occasion. And on more than one of those more than one occasions, he knew for a fact she'd heard some pretty horrifying and inventive things coming from them as they gleefully went off on a small tangent trying to one-up each other in the horribleness.

To be fair, they'd realized they were being spied on so the list of grotesque tortures had gotten pretty out of hand pretty quickly on purpose. Keichi had found them out, and had shared with Karasori that he thought they knew the two were sneaking around and listening (although it was probably more likely they'd just stumbled upon them and had stuck around to hear out of curiosity), but he was pretty sure that there was a spot in the back of her mind that wasn't entiiiiirely sure that was the case. At least, there was if she was anything like him in that department. Suspicion and skepticism ran pretty high in his own mind when he couldn't be sure of things like that.

Despite all that though, a gentle smile crossed his lips and chocolate eyes were closing lightly without even giving her third guess the time of day. Not a single cross thought ran through his mind as he shook his head lightly. "No way," he offered in a tone that was just as gentle. "Shuichi wouldn't hurt me."

He didn't recognize the change that cause the new calming of his nerves, nor the shift in name as the response fell from him so fluidly. He'd found his answer as far as he was concerned though. And the calm and peace of mind that came from it and would last until he decided to start brain storming on what he'd done wrong was incredibly evident. So much so that it even made its way through his body and into those gentle kicks he'd been giving under the water. They were a little stronger and brought each bare foot out above the water when them came, him watching as the dripping water only added more to the bit of chaos he'd been adding to the churning mass.

----

Hiei's attention fell on the child in his arms as Kurama moved closer. He could have told him the boy was fine but there was no point in it when the fox was already probing deeply the moment he got there. Feeling the deep, guttural shudder the blond gave off as he was violated further didn't really interest the petite demon. Neither did the fact that it brought the boy back to his senses.

Although admittedly he was pretty easily amused when Amethyst eyes opened and gained their baring. And upon noticing he was being held followed the arm supporting him up to it's connecting face only to for him to let off a meek noise in response and make an attempt to pull away well before he was ready to support himself. The wobble in his stance was evident enough of that as he attempted to right himself so quickly.

He watched as the boy ended up instead on his ass, staring wildly up at Hiei. And a smirk crossed his lips as the pure shock of seeing the distant man so close caved into confusion and instead he began to take in his surroundings curiously. It was obvious he had no idea what had just happened and a great need to regain his barrings in order to maintain the support on those lessons of awareness took him over almost instantly.

Of course, the cruelly amused smirk came due to the fear he exuded upon realizing Hiei had a grasp on him. It stroked a bruised ego just enough to cover his interactions with the other children like a balm.

Hiei righted himself as well, and resheathed his sword without another word. Turning and making his way back to the treat he'd yet to finish, Hiei was swift in rolling the papers back up and disappearing them somehow and somewhere within his cloak before leaving the rest of the situation to Kurama.

Despite not liking to have to do so in front of Hiei often, the fox could deal with the children all he liked as he saw fit. Because if it were Hiei he'd be leaving the redhead to clean the stains of what was left of the girl instead. The danger she presented to the temple currently wasn't necessarily where the bulk of his reasoning for that lie. The bulk of it lie with how dangerous she could become in the future as well. While he wouldn't outwardly make a show of his attention to the lot of them in the moment, the thought of his sister's safety was something that never tended to leave the little spitfire's mind for long.

He had many reasons. None of which he acted on. They already had a plan of action to quell the situation despite how much easier it would be to just rid themselves of it... And despite what his own demanded, he bode on the fox's judgement for the moment.

The interaction between Keichi stirring and Hiei retaking his previous position was a fast one. Quick enough that the only change Cooryn had to do anything was stare dazedly at the redhead for a short moment after he spoke to her, and watch the other two as they moved about. Instead of snapping her into action, the more horrifying than anything yet tone and look of the fox, petrified her into a lack of response until the interaction ceased and rustling papers dug her confused mind from the deep hole it had fallen into.

A shake took to her form as she finally saw fit to cower just a bit, her ears drooping, wings shriveling into a tight fold, and tail wrapping around her waist snugly; all things that made her a much smaller target purely on instinct. She still had a hold of her own hand, though the death grip she'd taken on it loosened as the slightly wild look in her eyes finally landed down on Keichi.

It snapped back up instantly to land on the one thing in the room that she perceived as still threatening her. Her mouth opened and she took a small, tight breath to speak. But something less than one of the familiar squeaks she could give off came out as she could only shake her head. Her mouth closed again, but her attention shifted back down. Because the tiny noise was all that was needed to catch the human's attention.

Purple eyes snapped her way and narrowed into their own fierce glare. It was nothing compared to what Kurama was exuding of course, but somehow it made her flinch even harder. The rise in his own shoulders and chest told her he was about to offer his own berating and unfocused crimson eyes glossed over with a sheen of unshed tears.

This didn't deter Keichi. However all he was able to make out was a short, stabbing, "How?"

It was all he was able to get out because not a moment later the focus left his own eyes shortly and an awkward pinch took to his lips before another deep, uncomfortable shiver wracked his form. The lack in focus on the girl came purely for the focus he set in on himself as he felt the feeling rising. He was fully recovered from the initial effects, most likely able to stand on his own by now as well. The threat of unconsciousness was long gone. The deeply unsettling feeling within him however, kept him seated on the ground.

Of course the boy realized something was wrong with him. Though he didn't know what, and was erring on the side of caution in remaining in his seated position. To save face, he simply sat in place instead of slinking over the the table or wall where he could support himself in a way he found a desperate want to at the moment. Because at the same time that he felt like something was deeply wrong with him, he could tell that nothing actually was. It was a tough place to be.

"I didn't..." His attention shifted again as the girl finally found her voice after witnessing the quiet internal struggle he was facing. She startled just slightly again as those large deep purple eyes landed on her, and found the need to look away from them.

Her attention landed on Kurama instead, not wanting to lose sight of the stable figures in the room just to avoid eye contact. "I just wanted to see," she told him with another shake of her head as she wrung lightly at the wrist she was still gripping.

She looked down at it breifly and let go, instead taking her tail into both hands and ringing at it lightly. This of course, wasn't anywhere near any kind of reaction she'd had previously when thinking about, or even speaking on her interaction with that power she'd described to Kurama previously. This was because in no way had she been attempting to focus on his soul.

"All I needed was to get past so I could see clearly." There was no glow to her eyes. And even though they'd found a sharp focus on the tail that was aching sharply from the tight grip and coil of her hands, they held nearly as much fear and even a bit of panic as she spoke slowly and attempted to explain herself.

"I could see it. It was strong. And I could see through it enough to know what I was looking for." Tears welled up in her eyes again as they landed on Keichi in a way he could read so clearly.

Despite her words making little sense, the desperate look of a child trying to make someone who couldn't hear them clearly understand. "It was just the same as ever. You wouldn't let me by but it was all I needed to win."

She shook her head and found a spot on the ground in front of her to lose focus on. "But I didn't win," she muttered lightly. "I..."

She still didn't know exactly what she had done though.

"You cheated." The sharp response from the boy had her looking back at him questioningly. It wasn't said in any accusatory way. In fact, it was calm, precise, and even helpful. His glare had softened itself and, despite how little he tended to let his guard down and allowed anyone other than Lily (and rarely Kurama) see any sort of softer look in him, it was almost gentle in its understanding.

It took her a moment to contemplate the simple response, her eyebrows furrowing as she went over any other way she could think to describe it. But that was all. So all she could do was nod at him shortly before that scared gaze returned to the foxy human. His icy anger had only spurred on her panic and inability to come to her own conclusion any faster than she had. And she was absolutely horrified of what his response would be when she did answer.

Almost as if she thought he hadn't seen the short nod she'd given Keichi, the one she offered to him was more insistent despite the fact that she obviously feared giving that honest answer. "I think I did," she told him almost surely.

Her fingers were going numb. They were painfully tingling, and her toes would have been the same if not for the protective undercoat of fur covering them. Her nose wasn't so lucky. It had gone bright red before the color faded from her face completely, leaving it pale and blue. The pain of it was short lived, the nerves to frozen to send signals of pain to her brain. Yet her shivering had stopped, as had her chattering teeth and broken speech. It would have been relieving if it weren't for her knowledge of survival. When violent shivers stopped, hypothermia was setting in.

Karasori opened her mouth to complain, but something else came instead. She still wanted to help. "Maybe not on purpose," she pointed out, still tentative despite how well Yusuke had taken her last comment. "Even Uncle Silver can do somethin' like that."

------

Kurama's focus never left the demoness cowering on the floor. She looked so tiny and young, and in a sense, she was. Cooryn was certainly a woman, teetering on the edge of being able to survive on normal food, and the sexual appetite of a fully grown succubus. She should have been taught the ways of her species long ago. She probably should have been learning before her arrival to the temple; but her growth had been stunted by a stubborn, ignorant, childish, guardian. Ushiga and the brothel were truly her only hope of survival. If only he could make his mate see that.

Despite his understanding and empathy for the hungry creature, the fox's eyes remained hard and cold. In fact they grew more so as she began to speak. 'I just wanted to see.' Did she understand how dangerous that feeling alone could be? No, of course not.

There was a brief moment of disconnect as his attention turned to his downed charge. Keichi's forgiveness was misguided. It was impossible the boy knew what had just taken place. Emerald eyes turned back to Cooryn sharper than before. "Hiei," he started, his voice calm and quiet. Kurama didn't yell. It would be easier if he did, because the fox's collected nature was nerve wracking. "I would appreciate it if you were to escort Keichi to his room. He needs to rest and recover, even if he does not yet realize it." It was an honest request, but it was also a request to be alone with the woman. There were things that needed to be said, that Keichi shouldn't hear.

The girl persisted but Yusuke had already made up his mind. Her continuance couldn't persuade him to think on it further. Kurama was too smart to be the one who caused this kind of stress between them. It was infinitely more likely that this was Yusuke's fault; as it usually was.

The sure notion didn't have him thinking further. More importantly, it didn't have him thinking back either. And it certainly didn't have him thinking to think back on the past few days to trace what he was feeling back to when it had begun.

Because of this he simply waved his hand annoyingly in her face, nearly cutting her off with the just as annoying noise he used to end the conversation. "Ahblahbabababah~"

"It's already settled," he informed her definitively. "I just gotta figure out what I did and fix it."

He turned a smile on her that was cheerier than the norm between them. Although it wasn't unfamiliar in these situations. Neither was the following action that would remove those chocolate eyes from her fully so she could speak freely as it came to her own.

What was new was that as he lifted his head and took in that familiar breath to let her know the time had come he got a sudden face, mouth, and nose full of water. Nonchalance was not a simple feat to pull off when under a constant stream of ice cold water. Of course, reacting to it as exuberantly as ever certainly was.

Perhaps due to the current mood and situation, the initial flailing reaction was short lived. And once a short fit of coughing and the need to violently clear his nostrils had been satisfied he turned his attention back to his student. With a surly pout and watery eyes that were overshadowed by the actual water streaming over them, he huffed shortly. He was pinching the bridge of his nose in an attempt to push away the burn still sitting inside it that was causing the welling in his eyes.

There was easily a chance he looked more annoyed than he'd been trying to make Karasori when he'd attempted to move the conversation on further. The man could be silly and aloof, but he didn't tend to play so nice when it came to the lessons between the two of them. Still, the mumbled response did sound just a little huffy as he grumbled, "Your turn."

----

"No."

The short answer didn't come from Hiei, who was simply giving them all a looking over as he watched the situation continue to unfold quietly. Though a veiled look of curiosity did land crimson eyes solidly on the perpetrator. He hadn't seen fit to pay that much attention to the interaction between Kurama and the blond child very often before their most recent training sessions that involved the imp, but he'd seen enough to be mildly surprised, if not slightly amused, that the child would make such a sharp refusal. Although it wasn't as if he hadn't seen Keichi's behavior around the time he'd first arrived at the temple. So it wasn't entirely unpredictable.

Judging by the sharp look that had landed solely back on Cooryn, it didn't seem like he'd done it out of any of that fear he hadn't managed to hide a moment ago when he'd found himself in Hiei's arms either. What was less interesting was the more predictable reaction from the child that followed. At least when it came to Keichi's part in it.

The sure denial quipped from his mouth before he had a chance to control it. It wasn't meant as it sounded. It was meant as a request, more desperate than anything else. It was just that the venom he'd redirected toward the girl with his eyes had seeped into his tone as well.

The look he'd landed on her previously hadn't been a shared look of understanding meant to make Cooryn feel any better despite having that effect to the smallest degree. Kurama had gotten the wrong idea, although it would be easy to understand why when taking into account how well he knew his charge. Keichi had a much gentler heart than he ever allowed himself to show off. He could be far more forgiving than others when slighted.

This wasn't some run of the mill, small slight however, and his understanding had been purely internal even if it had leaked into his look. He understood he'd been violated. He understood it was more dangerous than it had been previously. He understood a lot in fact; possibly much more than Kurama was even giving him credit for.

Regardless, the look and tone in his voice had been enough to push the girl along in her confession in its own way. Which gave him a new understanding that had brought an even sharper pang of aggression to rise in him than the one that had had him asking her 'how' so shortly.

He caught himself though. He realized almost instantly that despite the fact that the last word that had crossed his lips so sharply had been fully pointed at Cooryn in tone, he'd still said it in response to a command from his Master. Even if the words themselves had been pointed toward Hiei.

Through a reaction to this that was apparently more predictable to Hiei, his head took on a sharp swivel. It snapped to face his mentor, the sharp look panning out blankly as they stared straight forward and his sight barely made it past the man's knees due to his seated stature. The lift of his shoulders evened out through the movement, although unlike Cooryn the proper posture he held didn't slink down. Then again, she'd been attempting to make herself less of a target on instinct.

Whether the boy was too proud for that or well conditioned did still have a bit of Hiei's interest. If nothing else, the child looked already ready to accept a punishment. Although most of his own attention was on Kurama as he enjoyed the rest of his hot chocolate quietly. The reaction to the outburst was more interesting to him than any of the children could end up being.

Granted, he did dwell on the fact that, given Yusuke's incredibly childish nature, he might have expected the foolish need to explain himself over an obviously guilty conscience. But it had become quite obvious that Yusuke simply wasn't so easy to train; and that could be due to any number of things. Hiei liked to think it was the inability of anything to sink past that thick skull of his. It wasn't something he tended to think about much past that.

The outburst had amused him to begin with. But Hiei was amused for his own reasons. He didn't honestly have any interest in the children in this temple past what might involve his own. Kurama however, had always been interesting to him. Sometimes frustratingly so.

Last edited:
Doll black eyes widened and stung as Yusuke's waving hand splattered droplets of water into them. They narrowed soon after, and she turned her nose up and away from her mentor. "Whatever," she snuffed. Her Uncle Silver was definitely smart. Smarter than anyone else she'd ever known, but he didn't know everything. She couldn't keep up the act of indignation though. Not when Yusuke up and breathed in a lung full of freezing water. The rabbit burst into laughter at her mentor's distress, even going so far as to point at the man in hilarity. Something that came to a quick stop when he gave her that smile.

She hated and liked that smile. As she'd said, sharing feelings was for girls, and though she was definitely female, she wasn't a girl. Still, when the man managed to drag the words from her lips it released a tiny bit more of the weight on her shoulders.

Karasori snapped a sharp, "Cold! What'ya think?" It was never easy to pry those words free. She huffed and crossed her arms over her soaked chest, a defiant look in her eyes.

---

Emerald eyes didn't move from their locked position of Cooryn, but his attention rapidly switched to Keichi with that single, defiant word. An ear twitched, the shoulder closest to the boy rolled. He didn't trust the woman enough to let her out of his sights at that moment, but he was not one to accept insubordination. Least of all from his charge. The sight of Keichi proudly sitting upon the floor was just within his peripheral vision, and his jaw visibly tightened. An unpleasantly raw thought of 'how dare you!' rolled through his mind, and the fox calmed himself with a slow, even breath.

He'd given Cooryn a chance to say her peace, he could at least offer the same courtesy to his student. "Speak," he commanded, in a stern, but ever dangerously calm tone. Hiei's amusement was ignored. In fact the fire demon as a whole existed only in the back of his mind. The situation before him was too delicate, too much of a threat not to have his full attention.

Kurama chanced a quick, glancing glare at Keichi before he looked once more on the imp on the floor. "Then, I expect you to follow my instructions."

Back
Top Bottom